Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:03 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.34
WE:Marketing (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GPA: 4
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [1]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Re: Calling all Owen(Vanderbilt) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hello Everyone,

Here is summary of recent Owen Adom chat. Special thanks to thisisatestonlyatest for taking time to participate in the chat and answering applicants' questions.

Good luck to all applicants!!

Hi Bailey, Could you please talk about any concentrations which could help a student progress into an IT Strategy Consultant role?

Owen_Bailey: The great thing about our curriculum is that you can customize it to work for you. We have concentrations, specializations and emphases. Everyone has to have a concentration and after that, you can really maximize your potential by adding others. For a role in strategy consulting, you would likely want to concentrate in strategy and specialize in consulting. Other concentrations include Health Care, Marketing, Finance, Accounting, Human and Organizational Performance, and Operations.

Hi bailey and AJ Could you please let me know how a student from mechanical engineering background make use of whatever he/she has learned into a MBA Course, And which course is ideally suited for that person.

Owen_AJ: Engineering has a lot of good aspects that translate to an MBA. I would say the quantitative aspects of engineering work well in roles like business analysis, finance, marketing analysis, consulting.

Hi Bailey & AJ, thank you both for doing this. When putting together applications, what is the best way to "make up" for a relatively poor element?

Owen_Bailey: When you're looking at the class profile the best way to offset something that you're less comfortable with is to focus on the things you can control and work at being above the average student in something else. You can also use your interview and essays to your advantage; The interview and essays are one of the opportunities you have to set yourself apart and to strengthen your application.

I am highly interested in the Healthcare concentration, which is actually why Owen is one of my top choices. I am curious if there are select numbers you allow into that concentration? Also, if waiting to submit until the second round could ultimately hurt my chances.

Owen_Bailey: We are a small program so if you are admitted and want Health Care you can concentrate in Health Care.
The pool gets more and more competitive as the year goes on, but the 2nd round is usually the largest round. At that point we will still have scholarship money available so waiting until that round will not hinder your chances.

AJ, can you tell us what motivated you to choose Owen over other schools?

Owen_AJ: I have posted a long explanation of this somewhere one Gmatclub. If you search why Owen I think it comes up. But in short it falls into a few buckets. 1. The people. This place has an amazing culture. I was accepted to other schools such as Tepper, Duke, Kenan Flagler, Cornell. This place by far had the best culture.
The school as a whole has a really strong reputation in the U.S. The university is ranked 15 in the US and when you are recruiting you see that the reputation precedes itself. The city is amazing. It’s growing incredibly fast and there are a ton of things to do plus the weather is great

Any cutoff for TOEFL?

Owen_Bailey: The average TOEFL in our program is a 107. Typically, our admitted students have above a 100.

Is there scope of Graduate/Teaching Assistantship?

Owen_Bailey: We are a private institution so we do not offer Graduate Assistantships. We do give out a fair amount of scholarship (60% of our students receive some sort of scholarship). All scholarships are merit-based and evaluated at the same time we evaluate admission. We also have student worker roles on campus that pay an hourly rate.

What is the standard interview protocol for Owen? Specifically dealing with out of state students.

Owen_AJ: For out of state students we review the admissions packets then schedule interviews after approval. There are Skype interviews available if necessary although we recommend coming to Vanderbilt to experience the culture but understand if that is not possible.

On forum applicants are asking about deadlines for sending online recommendations. Are they displayed anywhere on the site?

Owen_Bailey: For those asking about online recommendations - The deadlines for admission are posted on our website. We understand your recommenders are busy so the closer to the deadline they can get their recommendation in, the better. We will not make a decision on your application until the application is complete.

What is scope and involvement from outside companies for investment banking or finance?

Owen_AJ: We have a large number of banks that recruit here for IB. DB, Goldman, Jefferies, Citi, Credit Suisse, Wells Fargo, Houlihan Lokey, Piper Jaffray, Deloitte, Black Arch, Sun Trust, Key Bank and others. For corporate finance the companies are pretty broad.

I did my undergrad here in USA, do I need to take the TOEFL again?

Owen_Bailey: There are a couple of cases where we would waive the TOEFL:
  • 1. I have earned an undergraduate degree in a country where the official language is English (not just an English-speaking institution or just a country where English is spoken.)
  • 2. I have lived and worked, for the past two or more years, in a country where the official language is English (not just a country where English is spoken).
  • 3. I have scored in the 90th percentile or higher on the verbal component of the GMAT or GRE.

How competitive or collaborative have you found your fellow students during your time at Owen? Also How often do you interact with professors outside classroom? How easy it is to do this?

Owen_AJ: The students here are incredibly collaborative. I would say this is one of the strongest part of Owen. I know all of my classmates and honestly like them all. Being able to integrate into the culture is a big part of what I think admissions looks at.
I interact a lot with the professors. I had lunch with the past chief economist at the Federal Trade Commission and go ride bikes with him on the weekend. The professors are extremely open to have a relationship outside of the class with students. We have a small classes and that helps facilitate this.

Can you shed any light on those who would be using the MBA to change industries and what sort of things to highlight in order to stand out for admission

Owen_Bailey: Great question! We have a fair number of students who are coming into the program from non-traditional backgrounds. The number one way to stand out in the admissions process is to craft your story. Tell us about your experience, why the MBA, why you want to do that what you want to do and how your experience will help in that transition.

Can optional essay be used to justify low GPA?

Owen_Bailey: I usually tell candidates to write the optional essay if you would feel more comfortable with your application/you feel like it is relevant for the Admissions Committee to know.

Bailey and AJ: Can you shed some light on employment process. What support do students get from career services team during internship/employment? Which companies, and from which sector, generally recruit at Owen?

Owen_Bailey: Here is the link to our Class of 2015 Employment Report: https://issuu.com/vanderbiltowen/docs/ow ... 9/10584070. It will have a list of companies that have hired, geographic regions, etc. My favorite number in the report is that one that says 78% of our students get their jobs from school-facilitated activities. Every student has a personal career coach based on your functional area and there is a lot of support from our Career Management Center because of our size.

Owen_AJ: The CMC here is amazing. I would say it is one of the strongest parts of Owen. I think it goes back to the class size. Since it is small they really get to know you and are able to invest time in you. They also work hard to keep the communication open with Alumni so when a student reaches out it is a warm call not a cold call. There are also a ton of companies that come here. Since I did investment banking I know that recruiting process the best. In IB we had more offers and companies come to campus than we had students trying to get jobs in IB.

Chat Transcript
Attachment:
Owen Admissions Chat 29th Oct 15.pdf [1.52 MiB]
Downloaded 39 times
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [0]
Given Kudos: 140
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
Re: Calling all Owen(Vanderbilt) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
Meet Vanderbilt’s Owen MBA Class of 2017

https://poetsandquants.com/2015/11/07/me ... s-of-2017/

Good luck to all those applying/interviewing!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [2]
Given Kudos: 58
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Hello everyone!

I was pretty nervous after going through some of the posts in last year's thread about interview experiences (lots of problems with connections, very short interviews, interviewers that were not interested at all...), but I have to say that this was one of the best interview experiences of my life.

The (not blind) interview lasted for about 35 mins and it was very conversational. The first question was NOT walk me through your resume, but why do you want an MBA. Then some of the following questions were:

ST goals
A question related to one of my essays
If you have 60 seconds to present yourself to a potential employer, what would you say?
How would your supervisors describe you?
Strengths and weaknesses
Why Owen
How would you contribute to the Owen community
More personal questions
Do you have any questions for me

Throughout the interview, we talked extensively about Owen, its community (students, faculty...), Nashville, financial aid and the CMC.

I think it went well and, after this interview, I couldn't have a better impression of Owen. I'm really looking forward to hearing back from them! The waiting is going to be excruciating!

Good luck to those of you who are still waiting for your interviews! :)

kheown
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Received an invite to interview. However couldn't schedule my skype interview as the only dates available are 9th and 10th of December and they are too close to the decision date of 11th of December. Have asked adcom to provide alternate dates.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Do they interview during the Thanksgiving week? If they don't it leaves the school with not much time to interview the candidates review apps and release decisions by the deadline.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I just called up Owen's admissions office and they said that they would be adding a couple of more dates for invited applicants to be interviewed on and was told to check the link provided in a day's time.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I just booked my interview slot for 16th of November, 10 AM with Kim Killingsworth. Have already met her at a fair in India. Guys who are yet to schedule an interview can opt for 16th, now that it has opened up.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 640 Q41 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE:Real Estate (Real Estate)
Send PM
Kudos
I received my interview to invite on Oct. 30. Had my interview the following week in conjunction with a recruiting visit to my city. Personally, it's the best one I've had so far compared with other schools. The informal structure, the questions geared towards getting to know me, the energetic attitude. I loved it. Now I'm not sure how that's going to translate into strength of application, but I can't say that I detracted from my application with the interview at all.

My main wonder as I wait anxiously for their decision is, how does one know if they really "aced" the interview? Does an invite mean you are "halfway" there? Obviously it's a great indicator that they are interested and is an opportunity to highlight the strengths and knowledge of the program, but how much is the interview a focal point of admission?

Based on last years process, how long did it take to get a decision from the moment of an interview?

Lot's of questions...I'm too excited to wait! If anyone wants to know more about my experience, please let me know.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
FROM Owen Press Releases: How can hospitals be as safe as aircraft carriers?
A new study from Vanderbilt University examines how hospitals can apply the principles of highly reliable organizations to reduce errors and improve patient care.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM Owen Press Releases: 5 tips for launching a business from the CEO and co-founder of OverDog
Steve Berneman, MBA/JD'10 and co-founder of OverDog, a social matchmaking platform for gamers, shares five lessons that he learned from starting a business.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Had my interview just now with Kim Killingsworth. The interview was a bit of a grill, unlike the others I have had. Questions were a mixed bag of the conventional and the unconventional. Like I was asked to describe my interpersonal skills in one word. Which other schools I have applied to? And in case I manage to get an admit in all of them, which shall I choose. She probably found my answer a bit generic. I was also asked how would I differentiate myself from the pool of other Indian IT applicants who have applied.

Was a long interview of nearly 40 mins. Don't know what to make out of it. Only time will tell.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Kudos
SohamDutta wrote:
Had my interview just now with Kim Killingsworth. The interview was a bit of a grill, unlike the others I have had. Questions were a mixed bag of the conventional and the unconventional. Like I was asked to describe my interpersonal skills in one word. Which other schools I have applied to? And in case I manage to get an admit in all of them, which shall I choose. She probably found my answer a bit generic. I was also asked how would I differentiate myself from the pool of other Indian IT applicants who have applied.

Was a long interview of nearly 40 mins. Don't know what to make out of it. Only time will tell.

My interview was similarly formal and I had some similar type questions, so you are not alone in your experience. The student I visited with on campus had a similar experience to me, with not really being able to get a read on how it went, so that is not a bad or good thing. Every interviewer has their own style and technique.

Best of luck!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Send PM
Anybody who is done with his/her interview who wants t share some tips or experience?? Specifically the skype interview with Kim ?

Would be really appreciated!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
mohamedfaras wrote:
Anybody who is done with his/her interview who wants t share some tips or experience?? Specifically the skype interview with Kim ?

Hello!

What I posted above was referring to a Skype interview with Kim. Hopefully more people would share their insights!

Best,
kheown
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM Owen Press Releases: Vanderbilt launches new Master of Marketing degree program
Digital marketing, analytics and more will be taught in Vanderbilt's newest one-year master's degree.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
mohamedfaras wrote:

I had the skype interview with Kim a few hours ago. The interview itself was quite detailed and went on for around 45 minutes. I was asked how I would contribute to team projects and what I would expect to from the rest of my team during team projects. I was asked to describe my strengths in interpersonal skills. I was also asked which other schools I applied to and who I would pick If I get admits from all.

Besides this there were a few conventional questions on Why MBA, describe your goals etc.

Overall the interview was engaging and conversational.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Send PM
We are exactly three weeks from decision date. Should we expect more interview invites for R1?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  18   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts