Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 06:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Owen - Vanderbilt 2011 Applicants/Admits

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: McCombs (acc w/$) (Kellogg(WL), Haas(WL - ding), Anderson(WL-WD), Owen (acc w/$$)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all Owen-Vanderbilt 2010 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2010, 14:37
sk818020 wrote:
RexRyan wrote:
Congrats and good luck! I have a couple questions about your thought process if you don't mind. What other schools were you deciding between? What are you looking to concentrate in and then work in after school? Are you looking to stay in that part of the country?

I applied to Olin, SMU, Rice, UT, BU and Vandy. I applied with the understanding that I was going it alone in getting my MBA (as in no one else is going to help me pay for it). So, I applied to schools that I thought I had a chance at getting a scholarship at. When I got my interviews done, campus visits done and decisions back I shortened the list down to Rice and Vandy. I ended up choosing Vandy for a bunch of reasons; I really liked their admissions team, I met with the director of corporate relations and was comfortable that I could work for good companies when I got out, I liked there small student to teacher ratio, I wanted to get out of Texas, Vanderbilt is a respected school, Vandy gave me a better offer and Vandy has a good finance program. Overall I felt it was the best fit for me educationally and culturally.

No I don't plan on staying in that area of the country when I finish my degree. I am concentrating my MBA on finance and would lke to do investment managment when I'm done.

Interesting. I applied to Vandy as a safety, but if I get offered a significant scholarship offer it would certainly sway my decision. My reservations are regarding post school; however, as I do not want to end up in the south/southeast. Their alumni network and brand name is no where near many of the other schools I am looking at (eg Texas.)

On another note, I also show my status as accepted, but have not rec'd a call. I'm not sure what this means, but I'm guessing they probably called the admits with the higher (or any) scholarship offers earlier? Idunno, all speculation, but I hope I get the official call soon.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Owen-Vanderbilt 2010 Applicants!! [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2010, 13:31
I applied in R2 as well and interviewed the first week of December but haven't heard from them. Owen was my safety school, but now I'm thinking perhaps it isn't since they've sent acceptances out already.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 3

Calling all Owen - Vanderbilt 2011 Applicants/Admits [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2011, 07:00
The 2010 Owen thread is locked so I figured I would restart one here. I accepted an offer from Vanderbilt and will be attending Owen next August. I was wondering who else was applying/attending and more generally just wanted to open up another thread for Vandy.

I accepted a scholarship offer. Here are my stats;

GMAT: 700 (90%), 46 (76%) quant, 40 (89%) verbal, 5.5 AWA
Work Experience; 1.5 years risk management consulting, 1.5 years data analyst at an energy company
Undergrad; Graduated with an Econ degree, 3.5 GPA
Extracurricular - I have several committees that I am on for various organizations both charitable and professional.

I look forward to speaking to and meeting some of my future class mates!
Manager
Manager
Schools: Yale SOM,Stern,LBS,Vanderbilt

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 10

Re: Calling all Owen - Vanderbilt Applicants/Admits [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2011, 17:58
sk818020 wrote:
The other Owen post was locked for some reason so I figured I would restart one here. I accepted an offer from Vanderbilt and will be attending Owen next August. I was wondering who else was applying/attending and more generally just wanted to open up another thread for Vandy.

I accepted a scholarship offer. Here are my stats;

GMAT: 700 (90%), 46 (76%) quant, 40 (89%) verbal, 5.5 AWA
Work Experience; 1.5 years risk management consulting, 1.5 years data analyst at an energy company
Undergrad; Graduated with an Econ degree, 3.5 GPA
Extracurricular - I have several committees that I am on for various organizations both charitable and professional.

I look forward to speaking to and meeting some of my future class mates!

I applied to Owen in R2 (Jan 10th) but submitted the application a little later than R2. I still have not heard from them yet. Do you know how many days they take to start sending out invites?
Intern
Intern
Schools: Vanderbilt (matriculating)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 9

Re: Calling all Owen - Vanderbilt Applicants/Admits [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2011, 14:15
sk I'm leaning toward joining you at Owen! I haven't heard back from a few other schools, but i'm not sure if i'd even go to them over Owen. I'll keep you updated.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Owen - Vanderbilt Applicants/Admits [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2011, 16:49
I've applied to Owen as well. I applied for R3 deadline and have not heard back yet. I interviewed with the school before I submitted my application (they sent me an invite because they were going to be in my town) so I don't expect and interview invite before the decisions go out. I did get an email from a professor to discuss the program, so I guess that is a good sign? Anyhow, fingers crossed that I hear some good news soon!
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Owen - Vanderbilt Applicants/Admits [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2011, 10:40
Hey guys, I didn't hear back from Vandy until the day of the decision deadline. So if you haven't heard back, I wouldn't worry.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Owen - Vanderbilt Applicants/Admits [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2011, 10:41
sk818020 wrote:
Hey guys, I didn't hear back from Vandy until the day of the decision deadline. So if you haven't heard back, I wouldn't worry.

When did you hear about the interview invite?how soon after you submitted your application?
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Owen - Vanderbilt Applicants/Admits [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2011, 10:50
treehugger wrote:
sk818020 wrote:

When did you hear about the interview invite?how soon after you submitted your application?

I allplied in round 1 (early decision). I submitted my application in mid-October and got an interview invite near the end of October. I interviewed in early November and got my resopnse the day of the decision deadline (11/15). This was all very early in the application process and I imagine thing are taking a bit longer now that they have more applicants to consider.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Owen - Vanderbilt Applicants/Admits [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2011, 15:01
Now that they are in "rolling decision" mode, does anyone know how long a response usually takes? Should you expect to hear before the deadline, or do they commonly call people before then?
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Owen - Vanderbilt Applicants/Admits [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2011, 15:03
maybemba2013 wrote:
Now that they are in "rolling decision" mode, does anyone know how long a response usually takes? Should you expect to hear before the deadline, or do they commonly call people before then?

I have the same doubt.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Owen - Vanderbilt Applicants/Admits [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2011, 07:58
maybemba2013 wrote:

According to their website they are not doing rolling decisions yet. Rolling decisions begin after the 4th round.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Vanderbilt (matriculating)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 9

Re: Calling all Owen - Vanderbilt Applicants/Admits [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2011, 17:24
is anyone attending discover weekend?
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kenan-Flagler, Darden, Simon, BU(ding), Owen(i/v), Olin(ding), Norte Dame(w/l)
WE 1: Finance 3.5 Years

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Owen - Vanderbilt Applicants/Admits [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2011, 19:41
Well I just got an Interview Call, it's been twenty days since I submitted my application, Any tips for the interview?
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Owen - Vanderbilt Applicants/Admits [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2011, 21:15
tusharmsvv wrote:
Well I just got an Interview Call, it's been twenty days since I submitted my application, Any tips for the interview?

Who are you interviewing with?
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Owen - Vanderbilt Applicants/Admits [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2011, 21:41
tusharmsvv wrote:

congrats and good luck on the interview. I submitted on Nov 22nd(R3) and never got a call back. I guess they are sending it now. Will wait and see.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kenan-Flagler, Darden, Simon, BU(ding), Owen(i/v), Olin(ding), Norte Dame(w/l)
WE 1: Finance 3.5 Years

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Owen - Vanderbilt Applicants/Admits [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2011, 05:01
sk818020 wrote:
tusharmsvv wrote:

Who are you interviewing with?

I guess I should have been more specific.. I got an interview invite.. gonna schedule it for sometime next week. It's funny how these deadlines work.. no one has come back to me by now.. Owen was very quick
Intern
Intern
Schools: Boston Uni., Indiana, Vanderbilt, UW, ASU, SMU

Re: Calling all Owen - Vanderbilt Applicants/Admits [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2011, 21:47
sk8--Congrats on the scholarship offer! I have also applied to Vanderbilt and interviewed (R3) and am still waiting to hear their decision. I'm starting to get a bit skittish, though, because I have heard back from BU and don't want to get stranded w/ a deposit deadline...

To besos & sk8, what are your plans for concentrations while you're there?
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Owen - Vanderbilt Applicants/Admits [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2011, 07:41
I would worry about not hearing from them yet. You still have until March 4th to hear back. I didn't hear back until the deadline. I plan on focusing on Fincance, more specifically Investment management. What are you thinking of focusing on? How was BU's offer? What is your profile like?

I'm actually trying to make a trip out to Nashville on in mid March to visit the campus.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Boston Uni., Indiana, Vanderbilt, UW, ASU, SMU

Re: Calling all Owen - Vanderbilt Applicants/Admits [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2011, 14:28
Yeah... I'm not terribly worried, I just hate waiting!

I'm planning on Strategy/Entrepreneurship and Healthcare. My background is in Construction & Property Mgmt, and Healthcare IT consulting.

As far as my profile goes, I don't *technically* have any work experience, as I'll be finishing my undergrad in April 2011, but I took a couple of breaks here & there to work. One was for about 2 years in Moscow, Russia. I have also worked 2 jobs the rest of the time during my undergrad, including started my own rental property operations & mgmt. company.

For undergrad, I double majored in Econ & Russian, 3.1 GPA.
GMAT: 730... 46 Q (75%) 44 V (97%) 6.0 AWA
Pretty good extracurriculars, and I'm fluent in Russian and Spanish, and speak a little Arabic.

BU's schol. offer was excellent, they offered me a Dean's Scholarship @ $30K/yr, which would leave me paying a few thousand a year out of pocket for tuition, in addition to a fairly high cost of living for Boston. Just trying to see what my options might be before accepting.

How about you? What was the schol. offer like from Vanderbilt?
Re: Calling all Owen - Vanderbilt Applicants/Admits   [#permalink] 16 Feb 2011, 14:28