Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Aug 2014, 00:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Owen - Vanderbilt 2011 Applicants/Admits

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Feb 2011
Posts: 34
Schools: Ross 2013
WE 1: 4.5 years investment consulting
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Owen - Vanderbilt Applicants/Admits [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2011, 15:59
THEAO wrote:
Yeah... I'm not terribly worried, I just hate waiting!

I'm planning on Strategy/Entrepreneurship and Healthcare. My background is in Construction & Property Mgmt, and Healthcare IT consulting.

As far as my profile goes, I don't *technically* have any work experience, as I'll be finishing my undergrad in April 2011, but I took a couple of breaks here & there to work. One was for about 2 years in Moscow, Russia. I have also worked 2 jobs the rest of the time during my undergrad, including started my own rental property operations & mgmt. company.

For undergrad, I double majored in Econ & Russian, 3.1 GPA.
GMAT: 730... 46 Q (75%) 44 V (97%) 6.0 AWA
Pretty good extracurriculars, and I'm fluent in Russian and Spanish, and speak a little Arabic.

BU's schol. offer was excellent, they offered me a Dean's Scholarship @ $30K/yr, which would leave me paying a few thousand a year out of pocket for tuition, in addition to a fairly high cost of living for Boston. Just trying to see what my options might be before accepting.

How about you? What was the schol. offer like from Vanderbilt?


They offered me $20k/yr which is pretty enticing. Still waiting to hear back from McCombs and Ross to make my decision though.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Mar 2010
Posts: 49
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all Owen - Vanderbilt Applicants/Admits [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2011, 12:42
I got an offer of $35k a year from Vandy. My other stats are above.

I hated the waiting too. I applied in round 1 for all my schools and some of them took forever. It was super annoying. Now that I know where I am going, I can't wait to get there. August can't come fast enough lol.


THEAO wrote:
Yeah... I'm not terribly worried, I just hate waiting!

I'm planning on Strategy/Entrepreneurship and Healthcare. My background is in Construction & Property Mgmt, and Healthcare IT consulting.

As far as my profile goes, I don't *technically* have any work experience, as I'll be finishing my undergrad in April 2011, but I took a couple of breaks here & there to work. One was for about 2 years in Moscow, Russia. I have also worked 2 jobs the rest of the time during my undergrad, including started my own rental property operations & mgmt. company.

For undergrad, I double majored in Econ & Russian, 3.1 GPA.
GMAT: 730... 46 Q (75%) 44 V (97%) 6.0 AWA
Pretty good extracurriculars, and I'm fluent in Russian and Spanish, and speak a little Arabic.

BU's schol. offer was excellent, they offered me a Dean's Scholarship @ $30K/yr, which would leave me paying a few thousand a year out of pocket for tuition, in addition to a fairly high cost of living for Boston. Just trying to see what my options might be before accepting.

How about you? What was the schol. offer like from Vanderbilt?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Feb 2011
Posts: 9
Location: California, USA
Schools: Boston Uni., Indiana, Vanderbilt, UW, ASU, SMU
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Owen - Vanderbilt Applicants/Admits [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2011, 22:35
Got a call on Thursday, accepted w/ scholarship. $20K/year.

I may wait to see what some other schools have to say before I try to see if they'll up their offer. I have to put a deposit down for BU by the 23rd of March.

Thoughts?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Dec 2010
Posts: 9
Schools: Vanderbilt (matriculating)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 9

Re: Calling all Owen - Vanderbilt Applicants/Admits [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2011, 07:10
THEAO wrote:
sk8--Congrats on the scholarship offer! I have also applied to Vanderbilt and interviewed (R3) and am still waiting to hear their decision. I'm starting to get a bit skittish, though, because I have heard back from BU and don't want to get stranded w/ a deposit deadline...

To besos & sk8, what are your plans for concentrations while you're there?



I plan do to HOP and strategy....
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Nov 2009
Posts: 101
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Schools: Darden,McCombs,Owen ($$$$),Booth (int),Kellogg (int)
WE 1: 4 years software consulting - US
WE 2: 2 years management consulting - Argentina
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Owen - Vanderbilt Applicants/Admits [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2011, 19:18
Hey all - I know there hasn't been a lot of activity on this thread, but I thought I'd post. I was accepted in December with $25K scholarship, but was awarded a Dean's Scholarship last Friday. It would be very hard to turn down, although I'm still waiting to hear from the R2 schools in March. Unless something unforeseen happens, all signs point to Owen in the Fall. Best of luck to everyone!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Dec 2010
Posts: 9
Schools: Vanderbilt (matriculating)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 9

Re: Calling all Owen - Vanderbilt Applicants/Admits [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2011, 19:22
popper wrote:
Hey all - I know there hasn't been a lot of activity on this thread, but I thought I'd post. I was accepted in December with $25K scholarship, but was awarded a Dean's Scholarship last Friday. It would be very hard to turn down, although I'm still waiting to hear from the R2 schools in March. Unless something unforeseen happens, all signs point to Owen in the Fall. Best of luck to everyone!


Is the Dean's scholarship for full tuition?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Nov 2009
Posts: 101
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Schools: Darden,McCombs,Owen ($$$$),Booth (int),Kellogg (int)
WE 1: 4 years software consulting - US
WE 2: 2 years management consulting - Argentina
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Owen - Vanderbilt Applicants/Admits [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2011, 04:06
besos1024 wrote:
popper wrote:
Hey all - I know there hasn't been a lot of activity on this thread, but I thought I'd post. I was accepted in December with $25K scholarship, but was awarded a Dean's Scholarship last Friday. It would be very hard to turn down, although I'm still waiting to hear from the R2 schools in March. Unless something unforeseen happens, all signs point to Owen in the Fall. Best of luck to everyone!


Is the Dean's scholarship for full tuition?


Yes
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Dec 2010
Posts: 9
Schools: Vanderbilt (matriculating)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 9

Re: Calling all Owen - Vanderbilt Applicants/Admits [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2011, 04:55
popper that is AWESOME congrats!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Nov 2009
Posts: 101
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Schools: Darden,McCombs,Owen ($$$$),Booth (int),Kellogg (int)
WE 1: 4 years software consulting - US
WE 2: 2 years management consulting - Argentina
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Owen - Vanderbilt Applicants/Admits [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2011, 10:40
I'm completely flattered by the offer. Thank you so much. Hope to meet you in Nashville!

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
User avatar
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 12028
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2176

Kudos [?]: 7773 [0], given: 3629

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Calling all Owen - Vanderbilt 2011 Applicants/Admits [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 12:11
Expert's post
2 different threads merged into one 2011 Thread.
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Feb 2011
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Owen - Vanderbilt 2011 Applicants/Admits [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 20:32
popper wrote:
besos1024 wrote:
popper wrote:
Hey all - I know there hasn't been a lot of activity on this thread, but I thought I'd post. I was accepted in December with $25K scholarship, but was awarded a Dean's Scholarship last Friday. It would be very hard to turn down, although I'm still waiting to hear from the R2 schools in March. Unless something unforeseen happens, all signs point to Owen in the Fall. Best of luck to everyone!


Is the Dean's scholarship for full tuition?


Yes


Popper, congrats! Out of curiosity, did adcom randomly decide to up the offer? Did you negotiate up?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Nov 2009
Posts: 101
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Schools: Darden,McCombs,Owen ($$$$),Booth (int),Kellogg (int)
WE 1: 4 years software consulting - US
WE 2: 2 years management consulting - Argentina
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Owen - Vanderbilt 2011 Applicants/Admits [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2011, 04:05
Is the Dean's scholarship for full tuition?[/quote]

Yes[/quote]

Popper, congrats! Out of curiosity, did adcom randomly decide to up the offer? Did you negotiate up?[/quote]

They selected me as a finalist for the Dean's Scholar, and I completed an additional interview with a current Dean's Scholar. So...no negotiating on my part.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Feb 2011
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Owen - Vanderbilt 2011 Applicants/Admits [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2011, 07:42
popper wrote:
Is the Dean's scholarship for full tuition?


Yes[/quote]

Popper, congrats! Out of curiosity, did adcom randomly decide to up the offer? Did you negotiate up?[/quote]

They selected me as a finalist for the Dean's Scholar, and I completed an additional interview with a current Dean's Scholar. So...no negotiating on my part.[/quote]

Thanks for the prompt response, Popper.

Full disclosure: I was admitted in R2 with a significant scholarship offer too. But I am leaning more towards higher-tier schools to which I have also been admitted. However, an offer such as the Dean's Scholar offer, with such a high level of monetary and resource support, would change my mind in a heartbeat. I think Owen's a fantastic program, and I would really like to go.

That being said, could you explain more about the process? Did the DS offer arrive with your acceptance package? Did it come later? And it sounds like you applied in R2? Would you mind sharing the timeline of events?

I am full of questions.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Apr 2010
Posts: 19
Location: New Delhi, India
Schools: Kenan-Flagler, Darden, Simon, BU(ding), Owen(i/v), Olin(ding), Norte Dame(w/l)
WE 1: Finance 3.5 Years
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Owen - Vanderbilt 2011 Applicants/Admits [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2011, 09:14
Waitlisted :(
Anyone here know what % of waitlisted applicants they take each year
Intern
Intern
avatar
Status: I'm stuck in a glass cage of emotion
Joined: 02 Dec 2010
Posts: 47
Schools: McCombs (acc w/$) (Kellogg(WL), Haas(WL - ding), Anderson(WL-WD), Owen (acc w/$$)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all Owen - Vanderbilt 2011 Applicants/Admits [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2011, 05:15
For the roll call: Turned down admission. They ended up offering 35K a year which is a ton, but in the end I felt like UT was a better fit for me and gave me better options. Just my two cents, I think Vandy is a program that will continue to get better and rise in the rankings, and if you are focusing on healthcare, marketing (brand) or finance it is a great program. Also, since they are trying to boost their stats, if you do well on the GMATs you have a good chance at getting a great scholarship. Good Luck everyone and congrats to whomever is the beneficiary of my money I turned down.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 01 Mar 2010
Posts: 106
Location: United States (FL)
Concentration: Finance, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 640 Q36 V41
GMAT 2: 630 Q42 V34
GMAT 3: 640 Q42 V35
GMAT 4: 620 Q42 V34
GMAT 5: 700 Q45 V40
GPA: 2.71
WE: Underwriter (Other)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 20

Re: Calling all Owen - Vanderbilt 2011 Applicants/Admits [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2011, 10:13
Does anyone know whether they are still accepting applications?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2011
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Owen - Vanderbilt 2011 Applicants/Admits [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2011, 14:40
Waitlisted too... well at least is not a "no" :wink: and really hope it turns into a "yes" soon! :-D

does anyone here know how the wait list moved last year?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Aug 2010
Posts: 35
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V39
GPA: 3.98
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling all Owen - Vanderbilt 2011 Applicants/Admits [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2011, 08:02
mktmba wrote:
Waitlisted too... well at least is not a "no" :wink: and really hope it turns into a "yes" soon! :-D

does anyone here know how the wait list moved last year?


I am also in the waitlist club...anyone have any idea how many people they waitlist? I am hoping that there might be some movement after the April 11th deposit date. I have my fingers crossed!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2011
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Owen - Vanderbilt 2011 Applicants/Admits [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2011, 13:00
did anyone got an e-mail on Friday 15th? it was supposed to be the decision deadline right? :?:
Re: Calling all Owen - Vanderbilt 2011 Applicants/Admits   [#permalink] 22 Apr 2011, 13:00
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling all Owen - Vanderbilt 2011 Applicants/Admits treehugger 58 09 Dec 2010, 14:15
16 Experts publish their posts in the topic Vanderbilt (Owen) 2013 - Calling All Applicants fv113 181 22 Oct 2012, 04:08
13 Experts publish their posts in the topic Vanderbilt Owen 2012 - Calling All Applicants dzyubam 183 29 Jul 2011, 05:22
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling all Owen - Vanderbilt 2011 Applicants/Admits

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 59 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.