Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 16:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Ross 2010 applicants!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 652
Schools: Duke 2012
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2009, 12:05
dv450 wrote:
Good luck everyone!

I'm a re-applicant (R1 w/ interview, then waitlist, then dinged) that will be submitting R1. Hoping for a dual MBA/MHSA.

Last week, I received an email from ross inviting me to set up a 10 minute phone feedback appointment, which I promptly scheduled for later this week. Has anyone else scheduled one of these? Or previously had one (even at a different school)? And advice would be much appreciated :-D


dv450 - I don't know if you have had this yet, but I have seen questions on the consulting blogs regarding this. It mainly centers on asking where the weaknesses were, whether you work experience was what they were looking for, whether improving your GMAT/academics would help and whether goals were clear enough. I'd recommend just searching for MBA feedback session.
_________________

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 Dec 2008
Posts: 125
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2009, 18:39
Anybody started on the application?

There's 1 section to load our transcript, but it says that they don't accept self-reported.

Does this mean that they want us to scan our official one PLUS send them the hard copy as well ??
Just want to make sure I really do need to order an extra transcript..
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 652
Schools: Duke 2012
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2009, 04:32
cul3s wrote:
Anybody started on the application?

There's 1 section to load our transcript, but it says that they don't accept self-reported.

Does this mean that they want us to scan our official one PLUS send them the hard copy as well ??
Just want to make sure I really do need to order an extra transcript..


I think that it means you can send an unofficial transcript, you just can't self report your grades (since they say you have to send an official transcript prior to admission). For instance, at my undergrad, you can download an unofficial copy any time, whereas you have to pay for the official one and then they automatically do the things ross requests (sealing it, etc). So I think they're just looking for something that has official school letterhead/language on it.

Hopefully someone can chime in and give their opinion.
_________________

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2009
Posts: 356
Location: Ann Arbor
Schools: Ross Class of 2012
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2009, 05:07
highhopes wrote:
cul3s wrote:
Anybody started on the application?

There's 1 section to load our transcript, but it says that they don't accept self-reported.

Does this mean that they want us to scan our official one PLUS send them the hard copy as well ??
Just want to make sure I really do need to order an extra transcript..


I think that it means you can send an unofficial transcript, you just can't self report your grades (since they say you have to send an official transcript prior to admission). For instance, at my undergrad, you can download an unofficial copy any time, whereas you have to pay for the official one and then they automatically do the things ross requests (sealing it, etc). So I think they're just looking for something that has official school letterhead/language on it.

Hopefully someone can chime in and give their opinion.


That's what I'm doing as well. Go to your university website or call the bursar's department and have them tell you how to get your "unofficial" official transcript. They'll tell you how to download it, and then you can upload that. When accepted, then you'll be required to get the "official" official transcript which requires you to call your university, pay for it, and then they'll send it to Ross, or wherever you request.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 Dec 2008
Posts: 125
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2009, 16:09
aa..i see now.
Thanks for the info guys. That was helpful.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 04 Dec 2008
Posts: 26
Location: MI
Schools: Kellogg, Ross, Tepper
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2009, 15:46
highhopes wrote:
dv450 wrote:
Good luck everyone!

I'm a re-applicant (R1 w/ interview, then waitlist, then dinged) that will be submitting R1. Hoping for a dual MBA/MHSA.

Last week, I received an email from ross inviting me to set up a 10 minute phone feedback appointment, which I promptly scheduled for later this week. Has anyone else scheduled one of these? Or previously had one (even at a different school)? And advice would be much appreciated :-D


dv450 - I don't know if you have had this yet, but I have seen questions on the consulting blogs regarding this. It mainly centers on asking where the weaknesses were, whether you work experience was what they were looking for, whether improving your GMAT/academics would help and whether goals were clear enough. I'd recommend just searching for MBA feedback session.



update on the feedback interview: highhopes was exactly right. Discussed the weaknesses in my app from last year and then what I should emphasize this year. The suggestions for my app didn't necessarily surprise me: work on explaining my leadership, teamwork, reasoning for changing industries, and my fit with Ross.

Overall, I thought it was fairly helpful. I enjoyed my conversation and if nothing else, it got me pumped for going through this process again!
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Dec 2008
Posts: 113
Schools: Chicago (Ding w/Interview), Kellogg(Ding), Darden (Int), NYU (Rd 2), USC (Rd 2)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2009, 08:16
I am in R2
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 652
Schools: Duke 2012
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2009, 03:56
I'm taking an informal poll.

I'm not going to be able to fit my ECs into essays 1-4 (without really stretching). I'm guessing others are/will have this problem as well. Is it better to (1) Use the "Is there anything else we should know about you" essay or (2) Just let it be and let them reside in the application portion?

I would go with #2, but the text fields for specifying the activities in the application are sooo small.
_________________

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 15 Jan 2008
Posts: 131
Schools: Ross '11
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2009, 04:41
#2
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 08 Nov 2006
Posts: 1560
Location: Ann Arbor
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2009, 17:33
If you consider your ECs to be integral to how you are, that is you are passionate about them, then they deserve to be in the main application. The optional essay is not an extra essay. Use that space wisely for things that need to be explained. Dont be that guy who tries to sneak in the additional essay. You wont be popular with the adcoms.

highhopes wrote:
I'm taking an informal poll.

I'm not going to be able to fit my ECs into essays 1-4 (without really stretching). I'm guessing others are/will have this problem as well. Is it better to (1) Use the "Is there anything else we should know about you" essay or (2) Just let it be and let them reside in the application portion?

I would go with #2, but the text fields for specifying the activities in the application are sooo small.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 28 Aug 2007
Posts: 492
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2009, 13:22
Does anyone have a link to a sample recommendation form? Or at least the questions. Trying to prep my recommenders beforehand. Thanks!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2009
Posts: 213
Schools: Ross (R1-Admit)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
How to answer the Ross alternate career question [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2009, 09:36
Hi
I am really struggling with the third question which is :

3) If you were not pursuing the career goals you described in Question 1, what profession would you pursue instead? (for example, teacher, musician, athlete, architect, etc.) How will this alternate interest contribute to your effectiveness in solving multi-disciplinary problems?

Any suggestions on how to approach this question.

Thanks
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 16 Aug 2009
Posts: 344
Schools: Columbia Business School - Class of 2012
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: How to answer the Ross alternate career question [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2009, 10:02
This is a fairly straight forward question, especially compared to the stuff at Chicago, MIT, or Stanford.

Be creative and unique. Don't choose the ones they listed above.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 05 Aug 2008
Posts: 1262
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: How to answer the Ross alternate career question [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2009, 10:30
I would tackle it sort of like a "what makes you unique?" question. Basicly it is the question that lets you bring some of your hobbies and talents into the application. Depending on your talent, you can take different approaches.

So focus on talent and how can you market that toward business is where I would go with it.
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 15 Jan 2008
Posts: 131
Schools: Ross '11
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: How to answer the Ross alternate career question [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2009, 14:59
Admittedly, I found this question easy to answer but I think that might be luck more than anything. I'd take it very much at face value - what is something else that you'd like to do? Think about that objectively, as well as the skills that overlap with that career and a traditional MBA career. Don't make it more difficult than it is.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 652
Schools: Duke 2012
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 114 [1] , given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2009, 16:39
1
This post received
KUDOS
Ross was just featured in the Manahattan GMAT newsletter for anyone that hasn't seen it. It was pretty helpful I thought. There are 2 parts, though I only see part 1 on their website.

http://www.manhattangmat.com/gmatters.cfm
_________________

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 16 May 2008
Posts: 125
Schools: University of Michigan Erb Institute '12
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2009, 22:24
1
This post received
KUDOS
I'll jump on the bandwagon and offer myself up for advice and guidance. Also, if you're coming through Ann Arbor, I'm happy to chat. My experiences would be particularly relevant to those who are younger, considering the Erb Institute, and coming from non-traditional backgrounds. Let me know what I can do to help.

Peace.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 May 2009
Posts: 57
Schools: Kellogg (Interviewed, ding) , Fuqua (Admit), HBS, Ross (WL) /Kelley (Admit) /McCombs (ding) - Consortium
WE 1: Technology Engineer
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2009, 12:52
Submitting round 1...
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 05 Jan 2009
Posts: 84
Location: Singapore
Schools: Cornell AMBA($$), Kellogg MBA(w/d), Ross(w/d), Ivey MBA(w/d), Haas
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2009, 22:54
Hi,

I guess everyone is busy with writing their essays. Since i am re-applying i am about to write my cover letter.
any idea as to whether there is a word limit or any particular format to the cover letter( whether it should be a like a formal letter, something similar to which MIT asks for?).

Enjoy
_________________

http://mbatraveller.wordpress.com/

Director
Director
User avatar
Status: Badgerine!
Joined: 04 Oct 2008
Posts: 894
Location: United States (CA)
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 86

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2009, 10:13
Considering most of you are already applying, you're probably saving your travel dollars for interviews, but I'll ask anyway...

Is anyone attending Ross Preview Day on Friday October 2nd? I'll be there :)

Current Students: Any suggestions for what a first-time visitor should do while in Ann Arbor?
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants!   [#permalink] 16 Sep 2009, 10:13
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
195 Experts publish their posts in the topic Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants AN225 1692 13 Jul 2011, 00:58
332 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling all Ross 2011 applicants! lagsantiago 3678 10 May 2010, 06:59
15 Calling all Georgetown 2010 Applicants! JimHuckle 371 15 Aug 2009, 14:35
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling all Ross 2010 applicants!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  97    Next  [ 1928 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.