Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 21:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Ross 2010 applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2010, 14:45
This post received
KUDOS
Got my invite around 1 :30 p.m. today. Submitted on January 4th. I am a re-applicant and almost broke down after seeing the invite.

Anyways, people who have gone through the interview process, do you mind shedding some light please?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Michigan - Ross Class of 2012
WE 1: Marketing within Financial Services
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 9

Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2010, 15:15
This post received
KUDOS
balboa wrote:
Got my invite around 1 :30 p.m. today. Submitted on January 4th. I am a re-applicant and almost broke down after seeing the invite.

Anyways, people who have gone through the interview process, do you mind shedding some light please?

I actually typed up my experience and questions asked here: http://www.accepted.com/mba/interviews/ ... IntID=9873

I had originally planned on driving to campus (about 5.5 hours for me) but a big snow storm kept me from getting to campus and they were very accommodating for doing a phone interview, given the circumstances.

Detailed Profile with Interviews/Dings/Admits: Go Here

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [1] , given: 17

Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2010, 16:09
This post received
KUDOS
balboa wrote:

I think I seem to be sort of an outlier in that I got my interview invite really late last round, so I was sort of up a creek when it came to interview dates because I had already had multiple work/interview obligations scheduled when I got the notice. I ended up with a 4 pm interview on a Monday and I came in over the weekend because I had a disastrous experience whilst flying out to Booth (with my plane being diverted on account of a medical emergency onboard and getting in at 2 am the morning of the interview as opposed to the night before). It was my last interview of Round 1.

Anyway, I'll be honest. I didn't think my interview went poorly but I didn't think it went super well, either. She asked the standard questions about walking through the resume, why Ross, where I see myself with my Ross degree, why now etc. Nothing crazy whatsoever. Then I asked her about what she had interned in over the summer and the MAP experience. Probably the most interesting thing is that I got her on to the subject of Whole Foods (based on what she had done over the summer) and she perked up and said that she had actually talked about Whole Foods on her admissions essay. Then we talked about some of the crazy stuff they sell there and Whole Foods vis-a-vis the small company health food market. I think this was also the interview where I was talking about sustainability initiatives with the interviewer (sorry, they began to run together). My interviewer was very nice but I would also say that she seemed like a reserved person in general and I had no idea what she thought of me post-interview. And since I was pretty certain Michigan says very clearly in the interview invite that they do not want to be asked for an interview critiques, I just left it at asking for her email and sending her a thank you followup (which I did for all my interviews).

I didn't do the orientation because the weather was miserable (it had started to snow) and all my winter clothing is with my family on the east coast. And when I tried to sign up for the VIP Day online it said all the spots had been reserved. But it was pretty boring to sit around all day waiting for the interview-I wish I had gone in and just explored the building a bit more.

PS: they sent me a ton of promotional emails after the interview. I have no idea whether they do this or everyone after the interview or not.

Let me just say this-I was expecting to get into UCLA and waitlisted at Ross based on the interviews. Instead, it went the other way around.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Chicago Booth, Columbia, Yale, Michigan Ross
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2010, 06:38
This post received
KUDOS
got R2 interview invite today
submitted right before deadline
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Duke 2012
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 116 [1] , given: 16

Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2010, 05:27
This post received
KUDOS
Yay - my admit package is coming tomorrow...I hope my apartment delivers it to me right away...I don't want to wait all weekend.

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2010, 12:04
This post received
KUDOS
We(R1 waitlisted candidates) had a wonderful chat with Soojin, Doug and Jon today on accepted.com.
You guys can check out the chat transcripts on http://www.accepted.com/chat/transcripts/mba_year.aspx
next week.

Cheers
-D-
http://mymaidenjourney.blogspot.com

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Ross Class of 2012
WE 1: Consumer Goods / IT
WE 2: Retail / Logistics

Kudos [?]: 36 [1] , given: 8

Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2010, 08:10
This post received
KUDOS
I am on the same boat. I wished the decision process kept up with the times and provided us with instant gratification..... The more I wait the more I go over my application essays and think "OMG I wrote that!" "I hope they don't catch that" "Why didn't I write more about my international background?" "I'm just another candidate" "Hmmmm that 5th tier school looks good."

Cheers!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2010, 11:23
This post received
KUDOS
sharmar wrote:
I am on the same boat. I wished the decision process kept up with the times and provided us with instant gratification..... The more I wait the more I go over my application essays and think "OMG I wrote that!" "I hope they don't catch that" "Why didn't I write more about my international background?" "I'm just another candidate" "Hmmmm that 5th tier school looks good."

Cheers!

rule number 1, never re-read your application after you have pressed the submit button!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2010, 12:59
This post received
KUDOS
I posted a while back but I got an interview invite back on the 19th. Can you update roll call?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Haas, Booth, Kellogg, Stanford

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2010, 15:08
This post received
KUDOS
Received my interview invite today at 4:00 PM CST. I am definitely doing the on-campus interview as I have not been to Ross yet, any one else? It's interesting that the email says I am invited to interview January 13th - February 12th....thanks for telling me 9 days after the start! Gonna scramble and check flights now.

Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.
- Norman Cousins

Last edited by miccarlo on 22 Jan 2010, 15:11, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 164 [1] , given: 20

Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2010, 15:37
This post received
KUDOS
dbuzzy wrote:
Have you gotten your interview invite for this year Gobruins?

Nope, which would be shocking if I didn't actually... since I got an interview last year, and I completed a masters, got way more responsibilities at work, wrote a 2 page coverletter, and rewrote all but 1 of my essays.... I mean how much can a reapp really do?

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 164 [1] , given: 20

Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2010, 15:49
This post received
KUDOS
Is it less applicants, or people actually doing more work at work. Last year we had 54 Pages for Ross at this time and this year 37.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Columbia Business School '13
WE 1: Public Accounting (big firm)
WE 2: Public Accounting (small firm)
WE 3: Internet Startup

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2010, 17:17
This post received
KUDOS
Why is everyone giving up already? Is it that bad to have not received the invite yet?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Fuqua Class of 2012
WE 1: Private Equity

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2010, 18:16
This post received
KUDOS
I dont think its time to freak out or give up yet. If you look at the forums from last year, people were getting invites in the middle of February.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS (R2), Ross (R2)
WE 1: 3.5 yrs sales & project mgmt at financial services firm

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2010, 18:19
This post received
KUDOS
milias wrote:
JohnnyBravo wrote:
Ok, so it's official. I've given up hoping for that interview invite. How terribly annoying.

I'm about to do the same. I thought Ross would be perfect for what I want to do, but I guess they didn't think so. Oh well.

...and I thought I was being super neurotic about this whole application process!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2010, 19:28
This post received
KUDOS
I got a invite on Wednesday. I have not visited the campus and wish to do the on-campus interview, but it seems not many airlines have a direct route to Detroit, so I am afraid getting there might be a challenge and will impact my interview performance.

On the otherhand, I am concerned that if I interview off-site I might come across as not interested in the program. If only I can spare another vacation day to visit the school and then do the interview off-site...

Ross is actually one of my target schools as they seem to have very good relationships with all the consulting companies.

Anybody have any ideas?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 36 [1] , given: 17

Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2010, 19:45
This post received
KUDOS
To all those giving up hope of an interview invite, I posted my story a few pages back. I submitted a day before the due date for R1 (I think 10/9??), got an interview on 11/23(!!!), had to scramble for an on-site interview date, did not have an "obviously awesome" interview and was admitted (with lots and lots of promotional emails right up to admission). They also encouraged me to supplement my application to update information that had been declared on my initial submission (maths classes that I was taking that I later received marks for).

So you know what? I feel like I may have been the last person asked to interview for Round 1 and I still got in. Juxtapose this against my situation at UCLA, where I was quickly asked to interview (right on schedule), had a really good interview and was subsequently waitlisted (and I'm in in-state for them).

Don't give up hope!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Ross (R1-Admit)

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 4

Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2010, 19:48
This post received
KUDOS
euxeno wrote:
milias wrote:
JohnnyBravo wrote:
Ok, so it's official. I've given up hoping for that interview invite. How terribly annoying.

I'm about to do the same. I thought Ross would be perfect for what I want to do, but I guess they didn't think so. Oh well.

...and I thought I was being super neurotic about this whole application process!

To, euxeno, milias, JohnnyBravo
You guys are freaking out too much. From my R1 experience, I can say that its way too early. There will be many more invites in the coming days. In fact in R1 some people who themselves believed that their essays were crap got an invite. You all will get invites in 1-2 weeks.

By the way if you just go back in the thread and see there were so many invites throughout November. This is really too early to freak out. So RELAX! By the way I would like to know what other schools you guys applied to....if nothing else lets kill time.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Fuqua Class of 2012
WE 1: Public Accounting - 2 yrs
WE 2: PE Fund Accounting - 3 yrs

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 5

Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2010, 08:27
This post received
KUDOS
Just got an interview invite. So, there must be few rolling out today.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Ross R2, Duke R2

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 5

Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2010, 08:29
This post received
KUDOS
Phew. Got invited to interview today.

For people who did alum interviews in R1, what was the general opinion? Is it true that there's no difference between on and off-campus interviews, specially for those based abroad?
Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants!   [#permalink] 25 Jan 2010, 08:29