Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 13:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Dec 2011
Posts: 63
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 3

Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2012, 08:19
aakashgm wrote:
I'm a Ross R2 admit from India and would like some guidance from current students on a) Employment data for internationals (across industries preferably) and b) work-permit/visa restrictions for internationals. I'm unable to make much sense of the data on the website.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, please point me to the right place in case it isn't.

I'd contact OCD directly for that info.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 05 Aug 2008
Posts: 1262
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 20

Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2012, 12:16
aakashgm wrote:
I'm a Ross R2 admit from India and would like some guidance from current students on a) Employment data for internationals (across industries preferably) and b) work-permit/visa restrictions for internationals. I'm unable to make much sense of the data on the website.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, please point me to the right place in case it isn't.



I will try to take a stab at this but I don't know if I can truly answer you question. The information provided here: http://www.bus.umich.edu/EmploymentData ... erview.htm shows that prior years about 80% has offers by graduation which seems about right for this current year, though the general impression is that this year was better than last year in recruitment most position.

As for industry breakdown I do not have that information but I think the answer to part b) should partly answer you question. Internationals who need sponsorship are limited on companies they are able to apply to. Not all companies will accept internationals but those rules are generally company specific and do not differ depending on business school you attend.

HOWEVER, generally Consulting, Finance, Tech, and multi-nationals growing internationally are more likely to sponsor (which in my opinion is why average international salaries are higher than domestics). The opposite is true for small firms/startup.

Having recruited for consulting, I know pretty much all big firms 500+ person firms except one hires internationals.
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Mar 2012
Posts: 1
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2012, 15:21
Have any R2 admits received their admissions binder? I haven't received mine yet.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 May 2010
Posts: 84
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 20

Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2012, 00:44
Hi,
I was an R2 applicant for Ross...
I was waitlisted on March 15, and received invite on 19, and got interviewed on March 22.
So, I did not have enough time to supply any new info to get out of the waitlist...
It is also possible that I was waitlisted because I had some missing materials and I could only complete them on Jan 23, 19 days after R2 deadline...
However, my question is:
Should I still send them an update to strengthen my candidacy although I had the chance to mention my updates on my interview yesterday and also delivered my updated resume...
Sending an additional recommendation letter from an alumni will be also possible...
I really appreciate any insight on this...
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 05 Aug 2008
Posts: 1262
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 20

Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2012, 07:04
amaterasu wrote:
Hi,
I was an R2 applicant for Ross...
I was waitlisted on March 15, and received invite on 19, and got interviewed on March 22.
So, I did not have enough time to supply any new info to get out of the waitlist...
It is also possible that I was waitlisted because I had some missing materials and I could only complete them on Jan 23, 19 days after R2 deadline...
However, my question is:
Should I still send them an update to strengthen my candidacy although I had the chance to mention my updates on my interview yesterday and also delivered my updated resume...
Sending an additional recommendation letter from an alumni will be also possible...
I really appreciate any insight on this...


In my opinion, if you have anything Notable that you wanted added to you application then you can send it in. If not, then I wouldn't worry about it, since it sounds like you were wait listed without interview and now just interviewed so that should have changed your application depending how the interview went.
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Oct 2011
Posts: 25
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.55
WE: Real Estate (Real Estate)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2012, 11:48
jhlee wrote:
Have any R2 admits received their admissions binder? I haven't received mine yet.


jhlee,

I haven't gotten my admissions binder either. They did say that it would be closer to the end of the month.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Dec 2011
Posts: 58
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V33
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 03:58
What is the last day for deposit to be submitted for Round 2 admits?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Bring the Rain
Joined: 17 Aug 2010
Posts: 408
Location: United States (MD)
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.13
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 46

Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 04:23
dbanerj wrote:
What is the last day for deposit to be submitted for Round 2 admits?


I'm pretty sure May 1 is the deadline.
_________________

Go Blue!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

GMAT Forum Moderator
avatar
Status: Accepting donations for the mohater MBA fund
Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 1860
Location: United States
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 04:43
tfincham86 wrote:
dbanerj wrote:
What is the last day for deposit to be submitted for Round 2 admits?


I'm pretty sure May 1 is the deadline.


It is.

If you log in, there is a PDF with the dates.

You need to be logged in to iMpact to see this:

http://www.bus.umich.edu/studentlife/ad ... st2012.pdf
_________________

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2010
Posts: 114
GPA: 2.86
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 9

Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 08:25
Does anyone know how strong the Ross network is in New York? Really having a hard time deciding between Johnson and Ross right now. I've searched iMpact and get over 400 hits in Finance but shouldn't there be more?
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2010
Posts: 55
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 14:19
cunit2k5 wrote:
Does anyone know how strong the Ross network is in New York? Really having a hard time deciding between Johnson and Ross right now. I've searched iMpact and get over 400 hits in Finance but shouldn't there be more?


I count about 2500 hits on the Alumni directory...NY is probably the most well represented after Chicago.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2010
Posts: 84
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 5

Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 14:36
Can any current students or others comment on why Ross seem to have higher unemployment rates than peer schools (Duke, Darden, Anderson) and schools with lower rankings (Kelley, Olin)

I'm guessing there are factors at play here. Perhaps industries that Ross students typically recruit into are down on recruiting?

Source is this article

http://poetsandquants.com/2011/11/08/mb ... s-of-2011/
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2010
Posts: 55
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 15:06
It's more of a function of graduation dates than anything else - Ross is one of the earliest schools to graduate their students (end of April) so they haven't had as long to recruit than schools that graduate later.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 05 Aug 2008
Posts: 1262
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 20

Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 17:48
cunit2k5 wrote:
Does anyone know how strong the Ross network is in New York? Really having a hard time deciding between Johnson and Ross right now. I've searched iMpact and get over 400 hits in Finance but shouldn't there be more?


I don't know compared to Johnson, but Ross has a large continent in the New York Area, especially BBA's, there's like 50%+ that end up there. Within the MBA's there also a large continent this year going, some of us were discussing where to live today. Between Consulting, Financial Services, and Marketing - New york is probably the 2nd largest group after chicago.
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 05 Aug 2008
Posts: 1262
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 20

Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2012, 17:54
afyl128 wrote:
Can any current students or others comment on why Ross seem to have higher unemployment rates than peer schools (Duke, Darden, Anderson) and schools with lower rankings (Kelley, Olin)

I'm guessing there are factors at play here. Perhaps industries that Ross students typically recruit into are down on recruiting?

Source is this article

http://poetsandquants.com/2011/11/08/mb ... s-of-2011/


There are a lot of factors I think, and it's impossible to see what specifically is the reason(s) but here are a couple reasons:

In relation to the other schools, we have a large portion that take longer to recruit IE Non-profit, Erb (natural resources), and Entrepreneurs (this one is less so, but I know probably about 2% who aren't recruiting and plan to launch a company)

These individuals tend to be more selective and commit later.


Also for the down turn, Ross had a higher percentage in General Management which have been slower to hirer new people because of the recession. Consulting tends to be consistent year in year out (some dip in 2008-2009 but not much).


Other than that it would be interesting to see what the numbers are for this year.
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2010
Posts: 84
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 5

Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2012, 04:41
Thanks GoBruin and Woomba.

Good answers, but it still is a little worrying. I suppose erbers have been hit particularly hard with the downturn in sustainability.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2010
Posts: 55
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2012, 05:54
My personal take is that focusing on the employment numbers isn't very useful after a certain % value due to all the imperfect information out there (timing differences, different student make up,etc.)- and all of the top 15 schools pass that mark.

If you're considering between Ross and another school, you're better off going through Employment reports of those schools and looking at how many companies that you're interested in recruited people from that school and how many people they took. That will probably get you more meaningful data than focusing on the % values.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2010
Posts: 84
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 5

Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2012, 06:12
woomba wrote:
My personal take is that focusing on the employment numbers isn't very useful after a certain % value due to all the imperfect information out there (timing differences, different student make up,etc.)- and all of the top 15 schools pass that mark.

If you're considering between Ross and another school, you're better off going through Employment reports of those schools and looking at how many companies that you're interested in recruited people from that school and how many people they took. That will probably get you more meaningful data than focusing on the % values.


I think for the same reasons using students hired by individual companies from different schools isnt that meaningful.
It very much depends on student interest in these companies which is hard to gauge. I read that 2012 has been a good year though, I'm keen to see the results.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Jan 2012
Posts: 10
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2012, 14:42
Hi guys,

I'm in DC and I haven't got my admissions binder yet. Does everybody get yours?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Mar 2012
Posts: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GPA: 3.62
WE: Research (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2012, 16:15
When is the next time WL applicants could expect to hear anything from Ross? Is there a definite positive to sending a mediocre update versus no update? I loved Ross and I hate being in a state of limbo.
Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 28 Mar 2012, 16:15
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
195 Experts publish their posts in the topic Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants AN225 1692 13 Jul 2011, 00:58
1 Ross Part-time 2012 - Calling All Applicants dzyubam 15 08 Sep 2011, 02:07
332 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling all Ross 2011 applicants! lagsantiago 3678 10 May 2010, 06:59
333 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! milias 1927 23 Jun 2009, 09:38
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  73   74   75   76   77   78   79  ...  85    Next  [ 1693 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.