Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 12:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2012, 15:11
Thanks for the feedback! I also couldn't make it and would love to hear about peoples' experiences.

I am sure that you heard about a lot of Ross resources. Anything in particular that was new and exciting? Also I am leaning heavily towards Ross, so I am sorry I didn't make it to GBR, but would you recommend anything that we could do to sort of "catch up" on info that we didn't get? Hope that makes sense!

explorer21 wrote:
msbroker wrote:
Can anyone who was at GBR give a run down as to how it went?? I wasn't able to make it due to work constraints, but still want to hear about what people thought of it.

I think most people enjoyed it. It was fun and there were a lot of activities going on throughout the day. We ate in the Big house (football Stadium) and even got to walk through the locker room, tunnel, and onto the field.

Every night there was an opportunity to go out and partake in tomfoolery with some pretty cool people. Everyone I met was genuinely friendly and interested in meeting others. People were accomplishment and interesting but no one was posturing or trying to sound like they were the greatest thing since sliced bread (there might be a few of those but 90-99% of the people didn't).

I was 90% sure I would attend when I went to GBR. At GBR, I drank the kool-aid and I liked it so now I'm 100% committed (as soon as I plunk down the deposit).
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 13

Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2012, 15:17
Makingbones wrote:
Thanks for the feedback! I also couldn't make it and would love to hear about peoples' experiences.

I am sure that you heard about a lot of Ross resources. Anything in particular that was new and exciting? Also I am leaning heavily towards Ross, so I am sorry I didn't make it to GBR, but would you recommend anything that we could do to sort of "catch up" on info that we didn't get? Hope that makes sense!

It was fun but they lay it on THICK, which is to be expected during a sell weekend. Lots of "show me how you're feeling by a round of applause" and "go blue" stuff, which personally got a little tiring by the end. It was a great experience overall, though, and really from a school perspective there was probably no new information that you have missed to this point. I was most interested in meeting my future classmates and current 1st years it seemed like a fun group.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2012, 15:37
go blue!
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 13

Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2012, 15:38
JaneKing wrote:
go blue!

cute.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Ross '14 (M)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 3

Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2012, 16:00
msbroker wrote:
Can anyone who was at GBR give a run down as to how it went?? I wasn't able to make it due to work constraints, but still want to hear about what people thought of it.

There were some bits that I found informative (really enjoyed the strategy professor's mini-class; the panels were good), but I don't think that anything was 'revealed' to GBR attendees that cannot be found in the admit package or on the web. What I found really valuable was all of the time spent at social events with admits and current students. I walked away pretty pleased with the community.
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 366 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2012, 17:31
Last session was way too long on Fri, but the closing speaker made up for it.

Big house was a nice touch, including the photo op on the field.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 48

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 09:19
I loved the event! period

A longer version: I was in between a few schools and I am glad I finally found the ONE: I liked my class (you, boring nerdy people :) , AA, and career opportunities offered.

My only 'dissapointment' was a presentation from one of Ross-related institutes - I did not get at all that they were doing, why and how. But that was just one wasted hour among three days of fun and great activities.

See you all in AA!!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2012, 06:07
Hey everyone,

Congrats to all the admits and Good luck to all waitlisters!

First, I did not get to go to GBR (sounded like a blast though!)

I have a question to throw out there for the fuqua vs ross prospectives

I had lunch with a former colleague (a graduate from Columbia Business who works at one of the prestige MBA employers) who recently tried to emphasize that Fuqua is a far better business school than Ross, and it is getting a better rep and will be a better investment long term. I was under the impression that both schools are, for the most part equals. He told me that Ross is way easier to get into (which I don't believe is true) and it is not as respected as a B school. I think he was just a pompous jerk--(also made some other arrogant type comments). I know rankings wise, both are very similar. However, do you all think that Ross and Fuqua will both always be "more or less" equals or Fuqua's momentum will advance Ross in the near future. Interested in hearing your comments on this matter-
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 366 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2012, 06:24
Most of the people I spoke with who were not committed to Ross were Duke vs Ross (some other variations, but Duke vs Ross was the most common).

Based on my own personal info hunting, they seemed to be pretty equal with one main difference: Duke folks tend to stick more to the east coast where Ross folks are a bit more spread out. Employment stats are very similar (Ross seems to attract more dual degree/non traditional MBA careers) so that skews the stats a bit for Ross.

The same people chose to come to Ross GBR over Duke ASW. I'm sure there were people at Duke who chose Duke ASW over Ross GBR.

Yankee121 wrote:
Hey everyone,

Congrats to all the admits and Good luck to all waitlisters!

First, I did not get to go to GBR (sounded like a blast though!)

I have a question to throw out there for the fuqua vs ross prospectives

I had lunch with a former colleague (a graduate from Columbia Business who works at one of the prestige MBA employers) who recently tried to emphasize that Fuqua is a far better business school than Ross, and it is getting a better rep and will be a better investment long term. I was under the impression that both schools are, for the most part equals. He told me that Ross is way easier to get into (which I don't believe is true) and it is not as respected as a B school. I think he was just a pompous jerk--(also made some other arrogant type comments). I know rankings wise, both are very similar. However, do you all think that Ross and Fuqua will both always be "more or less" equals or Fuqua's momentum will advance Ross in the near future. Interested in hearing your comments on this matter-

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 48

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2012, 06:33
Quote:
Harvard barely is a strong school in engineering (ranked 20's). It's the problem of having a linear scale.

Great post you wrote! Exactly, the problem with linear scale is that it is good to measure temperature, but not ratings.

In many students' minds, the rating
1.h
2.s
20. anderson
means that H is ~20 times better than anderson, while in reality the school opportunities are clustered, something like:

(hsw).... (mit chicago).............(duke ross kellogg)...............................................(anderson)
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.8

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2012, 15:20
I just got an interview invitation TODAY. R2 applicant on the wait list. Any tips?
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GRE 1: 336 Q169 V167
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 249

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2012, 21:48
beckettma wrote:
I just got an interview invitation TODAY. R2 applicant on the wait list. Any tips?

It's the usual fare, if I recall. Walk me through your resume, why MBA, why Ross. Maybe a behavioral or two about a time you lead change or dealt with a difficult situation. If you've got a 2Y student, I think it can be slightly hit or miss, but should be a relaxed, friendly environment.

Congrats on the interview invite and good luck!!!

ME: PROFILE | CPA: BEC AUD FAR REG | CMA: ONE TWO

bitly bundles: mba rankings | mba programs

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2012, 23:32
method wrote:
beckettma wrote:

It's the usual fare, if I recall. Walk me through your resume, why MBA, why Ross. Maybe a behavioral or two about a time you lead change or dealt with a difficult situation. If you've got a 2Y student, I think it can be slightly hit or miss, but should be a relaxed, friendly environment.

are the results going to be out on 30th of april?? any idea??
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.7
WE: Research (Other)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2012, 06:22
Got an invite yesterday, R1 waitlist, although I wonder why my email said that I am invited for an off-campus interview when I live in AA itself, is that just formatting?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V33
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2012, 07:17
dreambig100 wrote:
method wrote:
beckettma wrote:

are the results going to be out on 30th of april?? any idea??

Which results are you talking about?
I am waitlist(after interview) applicant from R2 too. All I know is that the final deposit day for R1 and R2 is May 1st and the decision date for R3 applicants is May 15th.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 3

Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2012, 09:30
shuenhon wrote:
Got an invite yesterday, R1 waitlist, although I wonder why my email said that I am invited for an off-campus interview when I live in AA itself, is that just formatting?

Yeah, gotta be just a form letter. Makes sense that they're not offering "on-campus" interviews with MBA2's since class/etc is pretty much wrapped for the year at this point.
Intern
Intern
WE 1: 2 Y Enterprise Network Engineering and Management
WE 2: 3 Y Pre-Sales Technology Consulting, Vendor Management

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 May 2012, 03:51
Hi there,

Do any of those admitted have a clue about the strength of the incoming class based on the number of R1 and R2 applicants who paid the first deposit?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V40
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)

Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 May 2012, 05:35
jimmypageled wrote:
Hi there,

Do any of those admitted have a clue about the strength of the incoming class based on the number of R1 and R2 applicants who paid the first deposit?

I think there wont be many who would not go to Ross given that this is the last batch for whom the option of a non-cosigner loan is available. Also, many schools have completely abandoned the non-cosigner loan system through which most of the international students benefit.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 May 2012, 05:56
tejachebrole7 wrote:
jimmypageled wrote:
Hi there,

I think there wont be many who would not go to Ross given that this is the last batch for whom the option of a non-cosigner loan is available. Also, many schools have completely abandoned the non-cosigner loan system through which most of the international students benefit.

Actually, the non-cosigner loans option is not available to the incoming class. So I think the yield for international students will be impacted. Given international students are only 30% of the class, the overall yield should still be reasonable. So if you are an international student on the waitlist I'd say you are in with a good shot.

Id say only the adcom would know exactly how many people paid deposits.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V40
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)

Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 May 2012, 06:01
afyl128 wrote:
tejachebrole7 wrote:
jimmypageled wrote:
Hi there,

Actually, the non-cosigner loans option is not available to the incoming class. So I think the yield for international students will be impacted. Given international students are only 30% of the class, the overall yield should still be reasonable. So if you are an international student on the waitlist I'd say you are in with a good shot.

Id say only the adcom would know exactly how many people paid deposits.

Please cehck this link below
http://www.bus.umich.edu/admissions/fin ... gnLoan.htm
It says that the fall 2012 batch international students have an option for non-co-signer loan.
If Ross also doesn't give non-cosigner loans, then i am in big trouble. I am admitted at McCombs but I do not have a cosigner and cannot join because of the non-cosigner thing. Hence, waiting for Ross decision.
Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 04 May 2012, 06:01