Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:43 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1172 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1172 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Health Care)
Send PM
Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Hi Av, mreevit,rpratt620

I have a question regarding campus visit. Would it be "wise" to visit the Ross campus when called for an interview? or should i plan and visit the campus before i submit my application. I have talked to a few alums and current students but haven't contacted the adcom. I have met members of the adcom at different MBA events in the area. I read somewhere that you have to atleast contact the adcom if you are not visiting the campus before submitting the application? Is this true? Does it affect my chances of getting an interview?
I really want to get into and don't want anything to affect my admission. I just though that if I get called for an interview, I will schedule for an on campus interview and visit the school as well.. Please advise

Thanks
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
WE 1: Hi-tech Product Development
Send PM
Nice to see this level of interest so early in the season. I'm a 2011 Ross Grad, currently bumming around, but starting at a consulting firm in the fall. I'll be happy to answer any questions regarding Ross and/or MC. All the best!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Health Care)
Send PM
Hello KingKreep can you please give me some advise on my last post about campus visit.

Thanks

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Send PM
Nope - neither visiting Ross nor talking to the Adcom is required. It certainly does not affect your chances of getting an interview. People visit Ross to get a better feel for the culture there. As far as talking to the Adcom goes, they meet hundreds of applicants every year, and I find it hard to believe that they take note of every awesome applicant they meet. Or for that matter, who reached out to them and who didn't. My guess is they let the application speak for itself.

Bottom line: visit Ross if you feel that you need to get to know it better. Reach out to the Adcom only if you have a specific question about the application/process that you absolutely cannot get answered anywhere else.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
Bookmarks
There's one right here. If anyone wishes to learn more about Ann Arbor in general (culture, housing etc.) feel free to pm me. I've lived here for 4+ years and have gotten to know the place rather well, if I may say so :)

Pkit wrote:
Av wrote:
It's great to see active discussion in the Ross thread this early in the season! Be sure to reach out to our awesome GMAT Club community in Ann Arbor if you visit this fall.

Good Luck and Go Blue :)

I will! :)
I am wondering how many g-clubbers are there?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
With your background, I think you should consider retaking GMAT if you think you can lift it by another 50 points or so. Having seen how the Ross admit process works, I wont buy into the notion of "650 is fine if you have stellar this... and stell ar that...".

aalriy wrote:
gmatpapa wrote:
For Indian IT candidates, 650 is definitely on the lower side. 4+ years of job ex is also average. If you think your community involvement is extraordinarily strong and it will set you apart from other candidates with higher GMATs and same work experience, then you absolutely should apply. GMAT, work ex are important in an application but you should remember that they're just a part of the story of your life. Adcoms will judge your candidacy on the basis of your overall personality..

If I retake the GMAT then would a 20-30 point increase or at the max a 50 point increase in my GMAT score improve my chances?

Also, by the time I join I would be having 5 years of experience and that too in reputed companies like Deloitte and L&T Infotech.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
KK, You seem vaguely familiar :wink:

How, and where, are you these days?

KingKREEP wrote:
Nope - neither visiting Ross nor talking to the Adcom is required. It certainly does not affect your chances of getting an interview. People visit Ross to get a better feel for the culture there. As far as talking to the Adcom goes, they meet hundreds of applicants every year, and I find it hard to believe that they take note of every awesome applicant they meet. Or for that matter, who reached out to them and who didn't. My guess is they let the application speak for itself.

Bottom line: visit Ross if you feel that you need to get to know it better. Reach out to the Adcom only if you have a specific question about the application/process that you absolutely cannot get answered anywhere else.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
gmatpapa wrote:
aalriy wrote:
With a GMAT score of 650, 4+ years of Work-ex in IT, and 70% in Engineering from India, good community involvemenet, biking & adventure sports as a hobby should I think about applying for Ross?

For Indian IT candidates, 650 is definitely on the lower side. 4+ years of job ex is also average. If you think your community involvement is extraordinarily strong and it will set you apart from other candidates with higher GMATs and same work experience, then you absolutely should apply. GMAT, work ex are important in an application but you should remember that they're just a part of the story of your life. Adcoms will judge your candidacy on the basis of your overall personality..

One of the things that we can't get from "stats" is the quality behind them. Aalriy only said he has 4 years of job experience. Those 4 years could be extraordinary. We don't really know without details. Will a higher GMAT make his application more competitive? Yes. We can all agree on that. But I get uncomfortable when we say someone's ECs and/or WE are average simply because of the length of time. Quality is what matters, not quantity.

Originally posted by cheetarah1980 on 22 Aug 2011, 18:00.
Last edited by cheetarah1980 on 24 Aug 2011, 06:27, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
It's really a judgement call. If you close by it wouldn't hurt to just see Ross and meet the people get to know more about the classes and events. But you can also learn a lot by reaching out to students or reading about the schools. You won't get the feel but at least you will understand the school. If you don't visit or reach out to students, then you will be a little more limited during the interview on explain why michigan besides the brochure selling points.

The student here are a mixed in terms of what they did. Some visited before, some during interviews, and others didn't see the campus until GBR or orientation. I did not contact adcom prior to applying.

Hemantuec wrote:
Hi Av, mreevit,rpratt620

I have a question regarding campus visit. Would it be "wise" to visit the Ross campus when called for an interview? or should i plan and visit the campus before i submit my application. I have talked to a few alums and current students but haven't contacted the adcom. I have met members of the adcom at different MBA events in the area. I read somewhere that you have to atleast contact the adcom if you are not visiting the campus before submitting the application? Is this true? Does it affect my chances of getting an interview?
I really want to get into and don't want anything to affect my admission. I just though that if I get called for an interview, I will schedule for an on campus interview and visit the school as well.. Please advise

Thanks
Current Student
Send PM
ncp wrote:
KK, You seem vaguely familiar :wink:

How, and where, are you these days?

I'm doing well ncp and am currently sitting in a backpacker hostel in Thailand :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M$)
Send PM
For those who have not seen yet - a fantastic (But short-lived) offer from the Rossians:

essay-reviews-from-current-mba-students-119855.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello, all,

I am applying to Ross through the Consortium this year. I plan to visit the second week of October for one of the VIP visit days. Any tips/advice on where to stay, what to see, good places to eat, and anything else is more than welcomed. I am from Los Angeles and will be staying there 3 days. Thanks!

-Karen
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GPA: 3.78
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hi everyone,
I will be applying to Ross in R1 and thinking about attending either VIP (visit in person) or Ross Preview Day. Which one do you think is more informative and/or useful? I understand that sitting in the class is not one of the activities during Ross Preview Day, am I correct? Thanks.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
studentsd wrote:
Hello, all,

I am applying to Ross through the Consortium this year. I plan to visit the second week of October for one of the VIP visit days. Any tips/advice on where to stay, what to see, good places to eat, and anything else is more than welcomed. I am from Los Angeles and will be staying there 3 days. Thanks!

-Karen

Do you know about the UpClose event from Sept. 29-Oct. 1?
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
studentsd wrote:
Hello, all,

-Karen

There are several hotels near Briarwood Mall that would be alright. You will be able to take a taxi (if you don't have a car). Ann Arbor is fairly convenient since it's not too big. As for food and things to see, Main Street has more of the bigger restaurants and bars while south University near the bschool has a lot of the B-school hangouts. Kerrytown is nice with a food co-op, farmer's market, and Zingermann's (great deli).

You can probably meet some Ross Students then ask where people are going that night. Everything in Ann Arbor is walkable. Go So-Cal!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Schools: Ross '14 (M$)
Send PM
Current/Ex-students,
could you please comment on the internship & job opportunities in general management? From the latest employment report I see that as many guys went into GM as (almost) into IB:
https://www.bus.umich.edu/EmploymentData/ByFunction.htm
what's the reason - there is no interest from students? no offers in GM? or the offers are not sexy?

thanks!
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
I would not necessarily break it down that way since "General Management" is very broad and is also contained in other areas. These are students self Identified. Example: product manager at P&G or Apple can be marketing or general management.

Product Manager at Ford Global Product Strategy can be marketing, operations/engineering, or general management.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  8   9   10   11   12   13   14  ...  85   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts