Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 03:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
4 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 101 [4] , given: 48

GMAT Tests User
Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2011, 00:58
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
This is the topic for those who like Ross, the state of Michigan and the Wolverines :)

Ross Business School Guide

Michigan Ross Applicant Summary (Real Time)

Quick Glance: GMAT Club vs. Latest Intake (Class of 2013)

Latest GMAT Club Member Profile Updates

Detailed Applicant List: Add Yourself to This List (add Ross Michigan to your profile)

GMAT Club's Real-time Admissions Statistics

Add Your Profile to This List
Questions about this Roll Call?

Members Invited to Interview

Keep at eye on the deadlines:
Round 1
Applications due Oct. 10, 2011
Decisions mailed Jan. 13, 2012

Round 2
Applications due Jan. 4, 2012
Decisions mailed March 15, 2012

Round 3
Applications due March 1, 2012
Decisions mailed May 15, 2012

And start working on your essays:

1. Introduce yourself to your future Ross classmates in 100 words or less.
2. Describe your career goals. How will an MBA from Ross help you to achieve those goals? What is your vision for how you can make a unique contribution to the Ross community? (500 word maximum)
3. Describe a time in your career when you were frustrated or disappointed. What did you learn from that experience? (500 word maximum)
4. Select one of the following questions:
• What are you most passionate about? (300 word maximum)
• Describe a personal challenge or obstacle and why you view it as such. How have you dealt with it? What have you learned from it? (300 word maximum)
5. Optional question: Is there anything else you think the Admissions Committee should know about you to evaluate your candidacy? (500 word maximum)

Last edited by rasta on 21 Dec 2011, 10:30, edited 11 times in total.
Latest GMAT Club Member Profile Updates
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
8 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GRE 1: 336 Q169 V167
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 145 [8] , given: 249

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2012, 07:30
This post received
KUDOS
mb29275 wrote:
GS18 wrote:
so now way we get an admit today... i thought somone wrote here that ... all 3 results possible!!!

Unfortunately, I don't think that's possible. If one didn't get a call, it's a ding or a WL. I'm in the same boat my friend...and I really want to get off it!

Yes, it is unlikely to get an admit, but still possible. Here is your proof from last year's thread right after the R2 status change:

calling-all-ross-2011-applicants-93959-3320.html#p887710
gopalansai wrote:
i am in!!!!! super excited and happy!!!!

calling-all-ross-2011-applicants-93959-3340.html#p887728
Bdo2011 wrote:
I was accepted by mail few minutes before the deadline. I had already lost the hopes when I got the mail. From South America. Not first glitch, but second one.

calling-all-ross-2011-applicants-93959-3340.html#p887818
Caroty wrote:
I am in Ross! Chinese with $5,000 schoolarship! Happy~

calling-all-ross-2011-applicants-93959-3340.html#p887843
Panpan wrote:
admitted! no scholarship... but it doesn't matter, still so excited :D

calling-all-ross-2011-applicants-93959-3360.html#p888036
serhio wrote:
I am IN

ME: PROFILE | CPA: BEC AUD FAR REG | CMA: ONE TWO

bitly bundles: mba rankings | mba programs

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

5 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 158 [5] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2011, 10:51
This post received
KUDOS
Hey all,

I had my off-campus interview earlier today. It was with an alum, who graduated this year. See below for my recap.

List of Questions (not verbatim)
1. Run me through your resume. Tell me what course you took in college and why, and then tell me why you chose your current industry and how you got to your current position.
2. How are you as a professional? How would your colleagues describe you as a worker?
3. What are your strengths?
4. Give me three of your weaknesses.
5. How do you operate as a leader?
6. Tell me about an instance when you had problems leading a team.
7. Why do you want an MBA? Why Ross? Why now?
8. Tell me about who you are outside of work.

Overall, I think it went very well. It was only supposed to be about 35-40 minutes, but we talked for a full hour. Having moved from South America to New York to pursue a career in what he is most passionate about, my interviewer got very animated when I talked about how I moved from Southeast Asia to New York immediately after college to do the same thing. He told me that my story is "impressive" and that I was able to clearly communicate what I am most passionate about.

When I mentioned that I have been communicating with some Ambassadors and that I attended the Ross Preview Day in September, he made sure to ask me for their names, as well as the exact date when I visited the campus. I gave him the names of at least four of the Ambassadors, with whom I have been in touch, even sharing with him their backgrounds and how the diversity at Ross could ultimately help me achieve my goals. And then I told him all about the Ross Preview Day, which I attended. He was very happy that I did my research.

What I find very interesting about the interview is that he never explicitly asked me what my short and long-term goals are. I spoke briefly about my short-term goal when I answered question #6, and then I delved into my long-term goal when I answered question #7. However, he never really asked for more details. I'm not sure if it's because I did a good job explaining my goals, but I just feel like we could have spent more time on them.

After he was done asking his questions, I asked him a couple of questions about his MAP/Ross experiences. After the interview, he let me know that his door is always open if I ever need anything from him. He said that he has 48 hours to submit his evaluation, and that he thinks I gave him more than enough information for him to put in a good word for me.

Now, it's on to two and half months of waiting...

Application Profile: http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-20.html#p1009999

Application Story - The Third Quadrant Applicant: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-third-quadrant-applicant-125929.html#p1027642

4 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 104 [4] , given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2011, 20:53
This post received
KUDOS
First up, congratulations to all those who have received interview invites!! :)

Alright, so I have read the entire thread and have seen people trying to relate the time when applications were submitted with the time the interview invites were rolled out. So just thought I would chime in with whatever knowledge I have gained so far, which is to a very large extent through a discussion with one of the Associate Directors of Admission at an Information Session...

Ross follows a very unique approach to admissions with regards to the Admissions Committee itself. Unlike other schools, Ross appoints Regional Managers - people who are responsible for selecting the best of the candidates from an entire region. These people, through years of experience of screening applicants from a particular region, develop the expertise in understanding regional attributes such as average GMATs, GPA scales, good undergrad institutes etc. The following regions have dedicated regional managers - US, South America, India, Europe & Africa, South east Asia minus India. I am sorry but I don't know in which regions do countries such as Mexico that don't fit any of these regions fall under. Also, there might be more regions but I may not have been told about all of them by the AD.

So the lifecycle of an application goes something like this -
1. Once an application is submitted, it is submitted to the first reviewer. The distribution of applications to first-level reviewers is completely random. The demographics of the applicant, GMAT or other credentials and even the date of submission of the application are completely irrelevant. Since the randomization is inherent to the first step, it just goes to show that the rest of the review process will also follow a random path. Hence, people who have not yet received invites need not be disheartened.
2. Now, the first reviewer filters out only a very very few applications - applications that truly don't deserve to move forward. He/she also puts in his/her commentary on that application.
3. The application moves to the second reviewer who again tries to filter out some applications. Again not very many are eliminated at this stage since they are trying to find all the potential good attributes in all applications.
Note that the second reviewer could be a Regional Manager for some other Region. For example the file could be for a Chinese applicant but is being reviewed by the RM for Europe & Africa.
4. Finally, the file goes to the RM for that region. Now the RM will receive files from all 2nd level reviewers for all applicants belonging to his/her region. Having a comprehensive view of the entire applicant pool for that round, the RM will compact the list for that region. This compacted list is more or less the list of applicants that are invited to interview. However, interview invites are not sent out once the entire list is finalized. They can be sent out depending on the certainty the RM feels for each of the candidates. Hence you might have people in the same region receiving invites across dates.
5. Earlier, invites were sent out as soon as the RM felt certain that an applicant had to be interviewed. However this led to a lot of stress on the interview team. Ever since, they have decided to release interview invites in batches so it is easier for the interview team to schedule interviews in an orderly manner. Also, note that the interviews are blind i.e. the interviewer will have access only to your resume; the interviewer will not have read your entire application.
6. Once the interviews are over, the RM filters out more people and sends the final list to the Dean / Director (don't know the exact position) of Admissions. He/She has the final authority on all admits & declines. Looking at the overall global applicant pool, the D/D will take a final call on each applicant in each of the RMs lists. This is an especially critical step since only the D/D really has the visibility into the overall pool of applicants and this helps him/her in crafting a class with the diversity the school deems necessary.

Hope this helps!! Again, this is what I understood from my interaction with an Associate Director of Admissions at an Information Session. I will be happy if any current student / alum who has firsthand insight into the admissions process can add anything or correct anything in whatever I've written above!

4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.78
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 38 [4] , given: 11

Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2011, 15:30
This post received
KUDOS
Hi guys/girls,

I had my on-campus interview this morning with 3rd-year MBA student (dual-degree program). The interview was conducted in a small room in the admission office department. The lady that has interviewed me was friendly but still professional. The interview took about 45 minutes. The questions that she asked (not in the order):

1. Tell me about yourself.
2. Why did you choose to pursue an MBA? (I used this question to speak short-term career goal)
3. Why did you choose to apply to Ross program?
4. How do you plan to contribute to Ross community?
5. What is you long-term goal and how will Ross help you to get there?
6. Give me an example of the situation/experience when you were challenged and had to overcome adversity. How did you deal with it?
7. What type of skills you hope to develop at Ross?

During our conversation I have mentioned visiting Ross Preview Day and talking to students. She asked me if I remembered the names of the students and I did not (one of few things I could have done better on). At the end she allowed me to ask her couple of questions about Ross MBA program and school activities.

Overall interview process was quite pleasant and interviewer was nice and friendly.

If I can answer any questions, please ask away.
4 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 101 [4] , given: 48

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2012, 09:17
This post received
KUDOS
Today I received a call from Soojin who informed me
a) I am accepted
b) I am selected for full scholarship

now I checked the mail, I also recieved a tailored (referring to a phone chat) message conforming this news.

Last edited by AN225 on 12 Jan 2012, 09:35, edited 1 time in total.
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [4] , given: 13

Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2012, 07:41
This post received
KUDOS
Yankee121 wrote:
Hey everyone,

Congrats to all the admits and Good luck to all waitlisters!

First, I did not get to go to GBR (sounded like a blast though!)

I have a question to throw out there for the fuqua vs ross prospectives

I had lunch with a former colleague (a graduate from Columbia Business who works at one of the prestige MBA employers) who recently tried to emphasize that Fuqua is a far better business school than Ross, and it is getting a better rep and will be a better investment long term. I was under the impression that both schools are, for the most part equals. He told me that Ross is way easier to get into (which I don't believe is true) and it is not as respected as a B school. I think he was just a pompous jerk--(also made some other arrogant type comments). I know rankings wise, both are very similar. However, do you all think that Ross and Fuqua will both always be "more or less" equals or Fuqua's momentum will advance Ross in the near future. Interested in hearing your comments on this matter-

First, let me say this guy is the exact reason I am not even considering CBS at this point. That mentality is all too common there, and it seems they have an inferiority complex being so close to HBS/Wharton in the northeast.

The simple truth is that when it comes to b-schools there are two tiers: H/S/W and everyone else. The rankings will fluctuate and be different based on publication, etc. In the HSW tier, you are branded for life as a high achiever and people will notice. Outside of that (and I am including the rest of the glorified "M7" here), the school helps with your first job and at that point it's all about you. I know people from Ross that got PE jobs but Booth people that did not. I know people at Duke that are coming out making 75K and some at Kellogg that have gotten laid off twice in the span of 3 years after graduation. There are Goldman people at CBS, Yale, Tuck, Ross, Booth and Haas. The MBA journey is more about YOU than it is about the school.

And as far as future rankings are concerned, that doesn't matter much either. If Duke is top 5 in 10 years, how does that help you? If you are 40 years old and still relying on the USNW ranking of your b-school to get you jobs and not the quality of your accomplishments, that's a very bad thing. Again, unless you went to HBS, which follows you for quite a bit longer than any other school.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 01-13-2010
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 0

Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2012, 19:04
This post received
KUDOS
How do you know when the Admissions process has made you a nervous wreck?.. When you look at soojins blog last year and conjecture that, since she posted on Jan 7, 2011, which was the first friday of the new year, to let applicants know that they would start calling early next week (mon or tues), we should be expecting a post tomorrow regarding decisions...yet you still keep refreshing every page in sight (GMAT club, admissions blog)

Posted from my mobile device Image
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing

Kudos [?]: 164 [2] , given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2012, 10:42
This post received
KUDOS
navra wrote:
I didn't get that. Does not Ross provide all accepted students with loan option?

If it doesn't, I have really no reason to apply to an elite mba school that itself couldn't find loans, but still claims to teach me how to make money

"...that itself couldn't find loans..."

Excuse me? The school isn't finding a loan, you are. At what point did it become a schools responsibility to guarantee loans for students? Should the school also pay your loans too if you default?

To clarify, nearly all MBA's don't guarantee loans, it used to be that CitiAssist gave out loans to just about everyone including internationals. Unfortunately, financial crisis/recession and killed that. Ross and Kellogg both supported the international loans program but let's be real, Ross a non-profit public university who is also struggling for budget cuts.

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GPA: 3.33
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [2] , given: 10

Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2012, 13:29
This post received
KUDOS
I'm planning on going to the Saturday interview. The web page for it says all invited applicants can attend, but I still think I'll feel a little odd going to the Women's Super Interview Saturday as a guy. Kind of like walking into the wrong bathroom.

Oh well, personal growth is all about reaching outside your comfort zone, right?
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.13
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 43 [2] , given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2012, 05:09
This post received
KUDOS
For all you R2ers, Soojin just posted an update on her blog about R2 and consortium interview invites:

http://rossblogs.typepad.com/admissions ... chool.html

Go Blue!

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 18 [2] , given: 7

Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2012, 06:05
This post received
KUDOS
alinomoto wrote:
GS18 wrote:
LadyRoadWarrior wrote:
Any R1ers able to shed light on how long the admit calls were rolling out? 1 day? 2 days? Was it geographically grouped?

AKA when do I start to panic? Tomorrow?

well Soojin's blog said calls start today and there is no logical order to it... except that the consortium calls will come on 15th!

yeah she said no one will be called after 9:00 PM in their timezones.....!!!

Actually this is incorrect as well.

From the horse's mouth: http://rossblogs.typepad.com/admissions ... lines.html

So it seems that all non-consortium call will come in TODAY. It seems she is busy with Consortium meetings on Tuesday and hence will be calling Consortium applicants on Wednesday (14th, not 15th).

I am guessing they are planning to get most (all?) of non-consortium admit calls done today itself.

Consortium calls coming in on Wednesday does NOT imply that all non-Consortium calls will come in today. They could call some Consotrium on Wednesday, some non-C today, tomorrow and Wednesday. And plus even if Soojin's busy in meetings, I bet there are other adcom members who will call. Unless only Soojin calls then I am wrong.

If you like my post, consider giving me KUDOS!

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.9
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [2] , given: 3

Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2012, 09:34
This post received
KUDOS
Got the call! 12:45pm EST. Im in Michigan.

Very excited, Ross was my #1.
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GRE 1: 336 Q169 V167
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 145 [2] , given: 249

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2012, 06:14
This post received
KUDOS
It's not over until you read your final decision online. There were people last year who received no contact and were still admitted via status change. I love you all, but some of the defeatist tones that keep popping up in this thread are premature at best. Lets not take the balloons and streamers down until the 15th, ya? :-D

ME: PROFILE | CPA: BEC AUD FAR REG | CMA: ONE TWO

bitly bundles: mba rankings | mba programs

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Statistics
Schools: Ross (Michigan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.31
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [2] , given: 49

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2012, 13:48
This post received
KUDOS
msbroker wrote:
Can anyone who was at GBR give a run down as to how it went?? I wasn't able to make it due to work constraints, but still want to hear about what people thought of it.

I think most people enjoyed it. It was fun and there were a lot of activities going on throughout the day. We ate in the Big house (football Stadium) and even got to walk through the locker room, tunnel, and onto the field.

Every night there was an opportunity to go out and partake in tomfoolery with some pretty cool people. Everyone I met was genuinely friendly and interested in meeting others. People were accomplishment and interesting but no one was posturing or trying to sound like they were the greatest thing since sliced bread (there might be a few of those but 90-99% of the people didn't).

I was 90% sure I would attend when I went to GBR. At GBR, I drank the kool-aid and I liked it so now I'm 100% committed (as soon as I plunk down the deposit).

GO BLUE!

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 101 [2] , given: 48

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2012, 07:51
This post received
KUDOS
Yankee121 wrote:
Hey everyone,

Congrats to all the admits and Good luck to all waitlisters!

First, I did not get to go to GBR (sounded like a blast though!)

I have a question to throw out there for the fuqua vs ross prospectives

I had lunch with a former colleague (a graduate from Columbia Business who works at one of the prestige MBA employers) who recently tried to emphasize that Fuqua is a far better business school than Ross, and it is getting a better rep and will be a better investment long term. I was under the impression that both schools are, for the most part equals. He told me that Ross is way easier to get into (which I don't believe is true) and it is not as respected as a B school. I think he was just a pompous jerk--(also made some other arrogant type comments). I know rankings wise, both are very similar. However, do you all think that Ross and Fuqua will both always be "more or less" equals or Fuqua's momentum will advance Ross in the near future. Interested in hearing your comments on this matter-

First, you post a question where/why Duke is better at Ross' forum and expect an objective answer? :)

Below option don't apply to guys seeking IB/PE careers (both schools probably suck) and is VERY subjective.

There are tons of myths and concepts about MBA and schools, I personally believe in the following:
- Brand DOES NOT matter 3-5 years after graduation. At that stage you're either a looser with a Harvard degree or a successful CEO with a degree from Ohio Onion and Potato College. Headhunters won't chase you because you're just another HWS grad, but will pay attention if you turned around Blackberry for example. I exaggerate but I hope you got it. I personally believe that smart companies hire people the same way Will Smith got into MIB organization in the first part of the movie. Both Duke and Ross (and Kellogg for that matter as I know many guys decide about that school as well) will open you the same doors and then it's up to you!

- Reputation (unlike ratings) doesn’t shift overnight. Unless 50% of 2012 Duke's batch tomorrow become Fortune top-500 CEOs or Ross would fill the class on the ‘first come – first in’ basis irrespectively of the GMAT/background, both schools will stay in the same league for years to come.

- What's your goal and attractions? Do you want to graduate from the toppest school you can get into? (and them then next month FT will place your school at 50th position because of poor canteen options)? What's your unique need and which school fits it better? – it’s up to you to answer that question. The cool thing about admission is that irrespectively of your choice a school wins but you may lose a lot (well.. two years in a place you hate is a serious matter).

In summary, most of smart alumni I met told that academics, somewhat brand, definitely ratings!!! etc don't matter once you left the school. What stay with you throughout your life is your friends and your network (NB: alumni database DONT EQUAL your network!)

I personally made my choice, so gonna enjoy life, new friends, cool campus, RedWings games and leave it up to the FT and the Economist to shake the world with new rating sensations.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
WE: Other (Insurance)

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 45

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all ROSS 2012 applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2011, 07:37
This post received
KUDOS
I am an incoming first year student at Ross, and I would be happy to answer any questions about the application process or about Ross in general.

Good luck and Go Blue!

Last edited by mreevit on 21 Jul 2011, 11:32, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Ross '13
WE 1: Business Development / Sales
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 53 [1] , given: 15

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all ROSS 2012 applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2011, 13:45
This post received
KUDOS
gmatpapa wrote:
rpratt620 wrote:
mreevit wrote:
I am an incoming first year student at Ross, and I would be happy to answer any questions about the application process or about Ross in general.

Good luck and Go Blue!

The same goes for me. I'm happy to answer any questions any prospective students have.

Thanks rpratt620 and mreevit for offering help! its much appreciated (and needed!!) Right now, I'm assessing the strength of my profile and researching essays.

My first question to you is- I've heard (from previous applicants) that Ross places more emphasis on gpa than it does on GMAT. is that correct?

I'm disinclined to believe that Ross places more emphasis on GPA than GMAT. I know plenty of guys/girls that got into Ross with strong-decent GMAT scores and modest-weak GPA's. When it comes to weighing the GPA/GMAT in the application process, I would say that adcom is looking for ways to let you in. Ultimately it comes down to who you are as a person, your experiences, your essays--are they compelling? Are you the type of person that Ross feels will add to the class? etc... If you have these things going for you, the next thing adcom is going to look for is intellectual and quantitative horsepower. That's where GPA/GMAT come in. If you are NOT an interesting person and are indistinguishable from other candidates then you are going to need like a 3.5+ and 730+ to really have a shot, and still it'll be a crapshoot. But, if you are someone they really want then they'll let you prove your smarts through either your GPA, GMAT or both.

So, in short this whole application process is a sliding scale. You can overcome one weakness in one area by being particularly strong in another. Of course there comes a point where you cannot compensate (i.e. <2.0GPA and <600 GMAT are going to be exceptionally tough to overcome)
Get the best GMAT you can (This is especially important if you plan on going into I-banking & Consulting - top firms in those industries are looking for strong GMAT scores when you apply, 700 is often a baseline but certainly people have gotten jobs with lower) and then focus all your attention and effort to crafting STRONG application essays.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Ross '13
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 4

Re: Calling all ROSS 2012 applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2011, 14:13
This post received
KUDOS
I had a 3.0 GPA, and from a non-spectacular school as well, so I had to fight my way in - studied like crazy for the GMAT, took a quant class over the summer, and wrote in the optional essay how i've overcome my shortcomings in college. I never heard that Ross places a stronger emphasis on GPA. At the same time, I knew my GPA was well below the norm for all the schools I was applying to so I knew it was an uphill battle either way. Point is, it didn't stop me from applying, and hearing rumors like that shouldn't keep you from applying to Ross either. If you're interested in the school, go for it! :-D

My profile

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Ross

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 32

Re: Calling all ROSS 2012 applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2011, 00:28
This post received
KUDOS
gmatpapa wrote:
rpratt620 wrote:

Taking classes are especially useful if they are quant heavy, i.e. Stats, Calculus, Accounting, Finance, and Econ would be some of the most common ones to take.

Thanks but the problem is that we dont have such a thing in India. universities typically do not offer you to take just one subject or two.. So that option is ruled out I guess..

However, I've heard positive reviews of one particular course called mbamath.com by Prof Reagan. Have you heard of it? If yes, then how do you rate it?

I think an alternate transcript or a certificate is a must to complete counter a low undergrad GPA. From my limited experience it seems that a high GMAT score helps but doesn't completely substitute for a low GPA.
I remember that some reputed MBA universities offer online courses - HAAS , Thunderbird.

Did you check the low gpa sucess stories thread ?
low-undergrad-gpa-success-stories-79977.html
Re: Calling all ROSS 2012 applicants   [#permalink] 27 Jul 2011, 00:28