Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:15 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Sustainability, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q43 V28
GPA: 2.95
WE:Account Management (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 616
Schools: Tepper '18
Send PM
Re: Calling all Rotman (Toronto) MBA Applicants:(2017 Intake)Class of 2019 [#permalink]
Coruja wrote:

I had made my profile on Rotman's website two weeks back, and the first essay was the same as the one present last year:

Please state your professional goals and how you plan to achieve them. (250 words maximum)

I had almost finished my essay and logged into the website today to only see that the essay has changed to:

When you reflect 10 years from now, how will you measure your MBA experience? (500 words maximum)

Has anybody had the same experience?

Also, there are no tips on their blog about this question. No insights into what they are expecting in this question are provided. If somebody comes across a link giving some tips, please do post it here.

Have you had any luck with the essay? Having a very hard time trying to figure out how to approach this new prompt.[/quote]

I'm starting to think about the essay now, I'm also lost, but it's a kind of a goals essay.

Yesterday I found tips:

Let’s take a closer look at the essay topics for Toronto / Rotman in the 2016-2017 admissions season.
Essay 1
When you reflect 10 years from now, how will you measure your MBA experience? (500 words)
This prompt is a standard career goals essay that should incorporate your career plans, as well as your understanding of the impact of the Rotman MBA. Given the nuance of framing your reflections from a long-term point of view, establishing your goals—in other words, where you hope to be in 10 years—is a good place to start. You may therefore begin with a brief mention of long-term plans, as these would lend meaning to your proposed short-term goals. Then, identify the function or job title you plan to pursue after business school, as well as your target industry and perhaps one or two target organizations. This position should be a logical first step toward a longer-term role that you hope to hold 10 or so years after your MBA.
It would then make sense to establish why you needed an MBA to arrive at this point. You can include a few sentences about how your work experience had prepared you for these future roles, as well as the skills and knowledge that you still needed to gain in order to move successfully along this path. With this “why MBA” piece established, candidates will then want to offer a brief assertion about the timing of pursuing an MBA—perhaps you had made as much progress in your current role as you could, or perhaps an MBA was the only way for you to gain the necessary skills for your future goals. Detailed treatment of the ways specific elements of the Rotman MBA program would help you to bridge the gap between your current skill set and their future plans. We recommend that candidates aim to devote at least 150 words to this section of the essay, if not a full half of their response.
To get as much mileage as possible out of this essay, you should aim to develop a very detailed response that explains how lessons from key classes and participation in certain student organizations positioned you to accomplish your professional objectives. The adcom will also be interested in hearing about how you see yourself contributing to the community and enhancing the experience of other students, so naming some events that you would like to help organize or a club you would hope to lead will also bolster your case. An in-depth review of the program website, conversations with current students and alumni, or visits to campus are all viable sources of the information you’ll need here.
Reflection Question
List 3-5 attributes or characteristics that best describe you. (3-5 word maximum)
While at first glance, it may feel like a relief to only have to write 5 words instead of 500, each word in this answer will carry more weight simply because of the shorter length. In approaching this short answer, you can certainly start by making a list about yourself, but it would also be wise to ask your closest friends and colleagues how they would describe you in 3-5 words. Asking others how they perceive you could open your eyes to other aspects of your character and improve the diversity of the list. Also, if several people mention the same attribute or characteristic, the overlap could help you narrow down your list. As this short answer is for admissions, it will be important that each attribute or characteristic is somehow relevant to business or being a member of a b-school community. Some choice words may be passionate, generous, collaborative; other words, such as leader or impactful, on the other hand, may be too broad or popular to really create an impression on the reader. “Unique” would also be wise to avoid, as it literally means “one of a kind.” Overall, converse with those closest to you and develop a distinctive list.

I don't know what happened but I couldn't find the link again. I saved the text on my google drive.

I also google some sample essays in this style, some US schools had the same essay last year, I found a sample that the girl writes the essay like she was already in the future, looking back at the past and thinking about her MBA, it's very creative but I don't know id this style is recommended. I also made some research on some admission consultants websites, and they say some schools wants you to be very realistic, they give Columbia as an example. But I didn't find any information about the essay style Rotman likes. This consultants websites they focus more on the top Us schools.[/quote

In my opinion as well this is also a goals essay. I think you are talking about this link -

https://www.clearadmit.com/2016/09/toron ... 2016-2017/

Would it be possible for you to share the sample essay that you are talking about? I am really finding tis prompt very tricky.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Calling all Rotman (Toronto) MBA Applicants:(2017 Intake)Class of 2019 [#permalink]
bethebest wrote:
Coruja wrote:

I had made my profile on Rotman's website two weeks back, and the first essay was the same as the one present last year:

Please state your professional goals and how you plan to achieve them. (250 words maximum)

I had almost finished my essay and logged into the website today to only see that the essay has changed to:

When you reflect 10 years from now, how will you measure your MBA experience? (500 words maximum)

Also, there are no tips on their blog about this question. No insights into what they are expecting in this question are provided. If somebody comes across a link giving some tips, please do post it here.

Have you had any luck with the essay? Having a very hard time trying to figure out how to approach this new prompt.

I'm starting to think about the essay now, I'm also lost, but it's a kind of a goals essay.

Yesterday I found tips:

Let’s take a closer look at the essay topics for Toronto / Rotman in the 2016-2017 admissions season.
Essay 1
When you reflect 10 years from now, how will you measure your MBA experience? (500 words)
This prompt is a standard career goals essay that should incorporate your career plans, as well as your understanding of the impact of the Rotman MBA. Given the nuance of framing your reflections from a long-term point of view, establishing your goals—in other words, where you hope to be in 10 years—is a good place to start. You may therefore begin with a brief mention of long-term plans, as these would lend meaning to your proposed short-term goals. Then, identify the function or job title you plan to pursue after business school, as well as your target industry and perhaps one or two target organizations. This position should be a logical first step toward a longer-term role that you hope to hold 10 or so years after your MBA.
It would then make sense to establish why you needed an MBA to arrive at this point. You can include a few sentences about how your work experience had prepared you for these future roles, as well as the skills and knowledge that you still needed to gain in order to move successfully along this path. With this “why MBA” piece established, candidates will then want to offer a brief assertion about the timing of pursuing an MBA—perhaps you had made as much progress in your current role as you could, or perhaps an MBA was the only way for you to gain the necessary skills for your future goals. Detailed treatment of the ways specific elements of the Rotman MBA program would help you to bridge the gap between your current skill set and their future plans. We recommend that candidates aim to devote at least 150 words to this section of the essay, if not a full half of their response.
To get as much mileage as possible out of this essay, you should aim to develop a very detailed response that explains how lessons from key classes and participation in certain student organizations positioned you to accomplish your professional objectives. The adcom will also be interested in hearing about how you see yourself contributing to the community and enhancing the experience of other students, so naming some events that you would like to help organize or a club you would hope to lead will also bolster your case. An in-depth review of the program website, conversations with current students and alumni, or visits to campus are all viable sources of the information you’ll need here.
Reflection Question
List 3-5 attributes or characteristics that best describe you. (3-5 word maximum)
While at first glance, it may feel like a relief to only have to write 5 words instead of 500, each word in this answer will carry more weight simply because of the shorter length. In approaching this short answer, you can certainly start by making a list about yourself, but it would also be wise to ask your closest friends and colleagues how they would describe you in 3-5 words. Asking others how they perceive you could open your eyes to other aspects of your character and improve the diversity of the list. Also, if several people mention the same attribute or characteristic, the overlap could help you narrow down your list. As this short answer is for admissions, it will be important that each attribute or characteristic is somehow relevant to business or being a member of a b-school community. Some choice words may be passionate, generous, collaborative; other words, such as leader or impactful, on the other hand, may be too broad or popular to really create an impression on the reader. “Unique” would also be wise to avoid, as it literally means “one of a kind.” Overall, converse with those closest to you and develop a distinctive list.

I don't know what happened but I couldn't find the link again. I saved the text on my google drive.

I also google some sample essays in this style, some US schools had the same essay last year, I found a sample that the girl writes the essay like she was already in the future, looking back at the past and thinking about her MBA, it's very creative but I don't know id this style is recommended. I also made some research on some admission consultants websites, and they say some schools wants you to be very realistic, they give Columbia as an example. But I didn't find any information about the essay style Rotman likes. This consultants websites they focus more on the top Us schools.[/quote

In my opinion as well this is also a goals essay. I think you are talking about this link -

Would it be possible for you to share the sample essay that you are talking about? I am really finding tis prompt very tricky.[/quote]

Yep, that was the link, I don't know why I couldn't find it again.

I found this link with many samples https://aringo.com/career-goals-essay/

The one I told you about, the girl talking as she already in the future I still couldn't find, I made many google searches yesterday. I'll post the link if I find it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Given Kudos: 616
Schools: Tepper '18
Send PM
Kudos
Coruja wrote:
bethebest wrote:
Coruja wrote:

Have you had any luck with the essay? Having a very hard time trying to figure out how to approach this new prompt.

Yesterday I found tips:

Essay 1
Reflection Question

Would it be possible for you to share the sample essay that you are talking about? I am really finding tis prompt very tricky.

Yep, that was the link, I don't know why I couldn't find it again.

I found this link with many samples https://aringo.com/career-goals-essay/

The one I told you about, the girl talking as she already in the future I still couldn't find, I made many google searches yesterday. I'll post the link if I find it.[/quote]

Thank you :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: ISB '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Hey,
Would be great if someone who has already contacted his recommender could post the set of questions asked in the recommendation letter.
Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 119
Concentration: Operations
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Coruja bethebest wow..this is great.. now atleast we have some idea about the essay. I was freaking out for last couple of days. Regarding the girl talking in the future, it is an interesting concept.I also found this idea in the book that I am referring to- Great B school applications by Paul Bodine, but having spoken to a few consultants they are not too positive about this theme. don't know why??..
Shubh29 yes bro I have contacted my recommender... and they have received the mail from Rotman.. but they insist on doing it on their own, which is fine for me. I don't have access to the questions.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
tallyho_88 wrote:
Coruja bethebest wow..this is great.. now atleast we have some idea about the essay. I was freaking out for last couple of days. Regarding the girl talking in the future, it is an interesting concept.I also found this idea in the book that I am referring to- Great B school applications by Paul Bodine, but having spoken to a few consultants they are not too positive about this theme. don't know why??..
Shubh29 yes bro I have contacted my recommender... and they have received the mail from Rotman.. but they insist on doing it on their own, which is fine for me. I don't have access to the questions.

I'll work on my essay during this week, and also on the videos. I'm not very confident about this style of writing as we already were in the future, I tried to write couple lines and it sounded very dumb. I think I'll stick with a traditional goals essay. Now I don't think we can post anything about the questions they ask to our recommenders, or the video essays. Someone can see the forum and snitch us to the admissions team, we're no suppose to know any of this questions in advance or to know what our references are going to say about us. What we can do is talk to our recommender about what we are telling to the school so they write something that matches our profile. Thanks for recommending this book man! I'll take a look at it. Ah now allow me to cry a little, I'm going for round two, my GMAT was a disaster. I'm so disappointed, my worst mock exam 540, best 650, test day: 470. Seriously I have no words to describe how disappointed I'm, worst case scenario I was expecting a 500. I'll study more and take it again in November. One more thing I was thinking about, you guys that still don't have the permanent residence in Canada, you should consider applying, makes your life easier, If anyone is curious to take a look here's the link: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/ ... ly-who.asp
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Well if somehow I do get admitted to Rotman, i will be getting a work visa later. During that time I can apply for PR. Is it going to help if I do apply now?

Sorry to hear about your GMAT. GMAT club has excellent moderators and great bank of questions in all categories. If I may, in my opinion if your score is fluctuating this much then there is something wrong in the way you are preparing. Its just that there is so much material available, you need to focus on the stuff that can help you.
For verbal I had studied from Manhattan and Veritas, for picking up the basics that is. Quant was not much of an issue with me, so went for the plain old practice and practice on gmatclub. During my mocks I was getting steady scores- with a fluctuation of 20, that is when I decided to go for the test.
Good luck next time.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
tallyho_88 wrote:
Well if somehow I do get admitted to Rotman, i will be getting a work visa later. During that time I can apply for PR. Is it going to help if I do apply now?

Sorry to hear about your GMAT. GMAT club has excellent moderators and great bank of questions in all categories. If I may, in my opinion if your score is fluctuating this much then there is something wrong in the way you are preparing. Its just that there is so much material available, you need to focus on the stuff that can help you.
For verbal I had studied from Manhattan and Veritas, for picking up the basics that is. Quant was not much of an issue with me, so went for the plain old practice and practice on gmatclub. During my mocks I was getting steady scores- with a fluctuation of 20, that is when I decided to go for the test.
Good luck next time.

So applying for the PR before starting your MBA has one advantage, with the PR you're eligible for the students loans here like any Canadian. My Gmat scores are really fluctuating a lot, I'll try to focus on the official guides this time. My mocks are really fluctuating a lot, but it was never as bad as the exam day.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: - Class of 2016
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Are you studying on your own, in a group, or taking any courses?

And that essay prompt is very tricky indeed, but if you guys went to the Rotman info sessions, you might get some clues too.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Coruja ..Official guide is like the bible..you should be totally thorough with that. and it would also help if you can get hold of older editions..like 5-6 years old..will give you different questions for practice. 1 or 2 year old editions have more or less the same questions.

jigglypuff .. would it help if I mailed the adcom asking for guidance on the essay?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
tallyho_88 wrote:
Coruja ..Official guide is like the bible..you should be totally thorough with that. and it would also help if you can get hold of older editions..like 5-6 years old..will give you different questions for practice. 1 or 2 year old editions have more or less the same questions.

jigglypuff .. would it help if I mailed the adcom asking for guidance on the essay?

Thankyou a lot for the advice it helps to keep me motivated. I did a prep course in Toronto and most of the questions I studied were from their books, I did some decent amount of work form the Quant Official Guide 2017 but my time management on the test was bad, I do need more practice and I fell although the questions the prep courses give us are similar to real Gmat questions there's a small difference in the style that can make a difference.

Tallyho I really think it's ok to ask for the pre admission meting, the adcom does that all the time and you can schedule a skype with them, you're not going to discuss any information you can find online you just want advice to enhance you application and that's perfect normal, I talked to Leight from the adcom she's responsible for the Latin American students if I'm not wrong, and Dimitra is the one who takes care of Asia. Dimitra emailed me as soon as I started filling my application on Rotman website to offer help. I do believe they try to help the candidates and as long as we don't do anything crazy I don't think they will have a biased view about us. I have their emails if you want the contact I can send you inbox.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
yes sure. please send me the email ID. I will get in touch.

Coruja wrote:
tallyho_88 wrote:

Thankyou a lot for the advice it helps to keep me motivated. I did a prep course in Toronto and most of the questions I studied were from their books, I did some decent amount of work form the Quant Official Guide 2017 but my time management on the test was bad, I do need more practice and I fell although the questions the prep courses give us are similar to real Gmat questions there's a small difference in the style that can make a difference.

Tallyho I really think it's ok to ask for the pre admission meting, the adcom does that all the time and you can schedule a skype with them, you're not going to discuss any information you can find online you just want advice to enhance you application and that's perfect normal, I talked to Leight from the adcom she's responsible for the Latin American students if I'm not wrong, and Dimitra is the one who takes care of Asia. Dimitra emailed me as soon as I started filling my application on Rotman website to offer help. I do believe they try to help the candidates and as long as we don't do anything crazy I don't think they will have a biased view about us. I have their emails if you want the contact I can send you inbox.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.26
Send PM
Rookie84 wrote:
Does anyone know if Rotman accepts an optional essay in addition to the standard essay questions?

Could anybody please confirm whether there is an option to submit an optional essay anywhere in the application? I don't see it on the 'Essays' section of the application, but it is possible that I might have not noticed some other plge where they are allowing you to upload a PDF for optional essay. If it is true and somebody has identified such a provision, please post it here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3
Send PM
Hi,

I am an Mba aspirant and Rotman is in my shortlist of preferred schools. I am contemplating applying to R2 of Rotman.

Here is my brief Profile:
Indian Male
UG : B tech Civil Engg - 2009 Passout , IIT Delhi (Top 2 Engineering school in India)
UG - CGPA : 6.5 on the scale of 10 ; 7.1 in Final year(Last 2 Semesters only)
Certifcations : Passed CT-3(Probability and Stochastic) Actuarial exam ; CFA Level 1 Pass (Top bracket in all subjects)
Work Exp : 7+ yrs in Marketing Analytics and Consulting (5+ yrs in Top International Banks) ; Managing a portfolio strategy team, consisting of 4 Data analysts, of cards portfolio in my current role for last 2 years; Had played an instrumental role in setting up an offshore Analytics team(5 members) in the past for an International Bank; 4 yrs of Total experience in leading the teams
Extracurricular : Nothing significant- Used to run Half Marathons in the past ; Have joined Toastmasters during the last month;
GRE : 330 (160 VA + 170 QA) (Equivalent of 750 Gmat , as per the ETS conversion tool)

I am looking to apply for R2 this year but I have a few questions for you regarding the Rotman MBA. It would be immensely helpful if you can share your views on the same.

Q - Is the Min GPA Cutoff of 3.0 (Specified as 7.5 on the scale of 10 for IITs on Rotman website) is a hard (Makes me ineligible to apply) or soft cutoff (Eligible to apply) ?

Q - It is mentioned on Rotman's website that they look at the GPA for final year. Do they mean GPA as on Final year (as in Cumulative GPA , 6.5 in my case) or GPA during the last 2 semesters during the Final year(7.1)

Q - I have read that Rotman accepts both GRE and GMAT. But are their any disadvantages in sending my GRE scores as the B-schools are generally more accustomed to GMAT scores? Should I appear for GMAT too?

Q - Finally , If I am eligible to apply, Can you please share your views on my chances to get an admit for Rotman. And is their particular aspect of my application that you believe I should definitely improve before applying.

Thanks a lot!

Cheers
Deep
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GPA: 3.34
WE:Operations (Health Care)
Send PM
Is it just me or is the application website not working today? I get a "Server Error in '/Datatel.ERecruiting.Web.External' Application." page when I click "complete an application".
Manager
Manager
Send PM
deepds wrote:
Hi,

I am an Mba aspirant and Rotman is in my shortlist of preferred schools. I am contemplating applying to R2 of Rotman.

Here is my brief Profile:
Indian Male
UG : B tech Civil Engg - 2009 Passout , IIT Delhi (Top 2 Engineering school in India)
UG - CGPA : 6.5 on the scale of 10 ; 7.1 in Final year(Last 2 Semesters only)
Certifcations : Passed CT-3(Probability and Stochastic) Actuarial exam ; CFA Level 1 Pass (Top bracket in all subjects)
Work Exp : 7+ yrs in Marketing Analytics and Consulting (5+ yrs in Top International Banks) ; Managing a portfolio strategy team, consisting of 4 Data analysts, of cards portfolio in my current role for last 2 years; Had played an instrumental role in setting up an offshore Analytics team(5 members) in the past for an International Bank; 4 yrs of Total experience in leading the teams
Extracurricular : Nothing significant- Used to run Half Marathons in the past ; Have joined Toastmasters during the last month;
GRE : 330 (160 VA + 170 QA) (Equivalent of 750 Gmat , as per the ETS conversion tool)

I am looking to apply for R2 this year but I have a few questions for you regarding the Rotman MBA. It would be immensely helpful if you can share your views on the same.

Q - Is the Min GPA Cutoff of 3.0 (Specified as 7.5 on the scale of 10 for IITs on Rotman website) is a hard (Makes me ineligible to apply) or soft cutoff (Eligible to apply) ?

Q - It is mentioned on Rotman's website that they look at the GPA for final year. Do they mean GPA as on Final year (as in Cumulative GPA , 6.5 in my case) or GPA during the last 2 semesters during the Final year(7.1)

Q - I have read that Rotman accepts both GRE and GMAT. But are their any disadvantages in sending my GRE scores as the B-schools are generally more accustomed to GMAT scores? Should I appear for GMAT too?

Q - Finally , If I am eligible to apply, Can you please share your views on my chances to get an admit for Rotman. And is their particular aspect of my application that you believe I should definitely improve before applying.

Thanks a lot!

Cheers
Deep

I can surely tell you about the GPA thing. they have clearly mentioned for the final year. Regarding the GRE GMAT issue I don't think there is any preference. If I may suggest you should set up a pre application interview, the adcom will give you a clear picture.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
akifm wrote:
Is it just me or is the application website not working today? I get a "Server Error in '/Datatel.ERecruiting.Web.External' Application." page when I click "complete an application".

there is some issue with the site. I am having the same problem
Also guys check out the admissions blog...they've put up tips to unlock the essay.

Another thing-the university has received my transcripts...it says received RF- Filed under K, what does that mean??..any idea
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  30   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts