Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 18:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2008, 12:49
None of my recommenders have an MBA either, so they are pretty new to the process and don't realize how different this is. To their credit, they seem to have taken the time to understand what needs to get done. However, this one last rec is worrying me.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2008, 13:11
I must say that I am impressed that your recommender gave it to someone to edit. I mean, thats a real effort on his part to write you a good reco. I wish my recommender is taking the trouble to open those positioning and guiding documents I gave him.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2008, 13:18
Yeah, I know what you mean. I had one other recommendation submitted pretty early, and that worried me whether he had actually looked into all the stuff I gave him :) He's a great guy and I know he would give a good recommendation, but I've just been a bit worried when I saw one of his linked in recommendations to someone say "he's a good technician". I am in IT consulting, and do not want to be called a technician, at least in a B school rec :-D
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2008, 13:20
LOL. :-D
Am sure I am a great engineer everywhere except my essays... where i am in a challenging mix of engineering and managerial role.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2008, 21:30
great post, peaceyall. i'm in the process of editing my essays before the 10/29 deadline (ahhhhh!). I'm well over the word limit, mostly because i still think i'm writing for a college english class instead of a business school application. i'm literally drowning in exposition and struggling to get at the real meat of the essays, i.e. the "hows" and "whys."
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2008, 21:53
sparkysan wrote:
great post, peaceyall. i'm in the process of editing my essays before the 10/29 deadline (ahhhhh!). I'm well over the word limit, mostly because i still think i'm writing for a college english class instead of a business school application. i'm literally drowning in exposition and struggling to get at the real meat of the essays, i.e. the "hows" and "whys."

This is exactly me as well, I tend to be verbose and have some major reductions to do...count me in for the all nighter's club
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 327

Kudos [?]: 1575 [0], given: 354

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2008, 00:38
Expert's post
peaceyall, great post! +1

I'm still in the process of writing first essay. 3 others are already done. It is definitely the hardest one.

NEW! GMAT ToolKit 2 (iOS) / GMAT ToolKit (Android) - The must have GMAT prep app | PrepGame

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2008, 02:00
Hi everyone - for editing essays I have been using editavenue.com - I think they do a decent job if you are good enough in english that you would not do a blind "accept all" of their changes - because sometimes typos happen and we still need to read through their changes carefully before accepting them. They have been able to cut my words for me and offer a third person's feedback on the essays at a fraction of the price of admission consultants.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2008, 03:05
Hey guys what are you thoughts on word count? Is the 10% rule (eg. going over by 10%) OK? I'm about 100 words over and I'm wondering whether I should cut it or just leave it ... please let me know!!
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2008, 03:19
I get the feeling that Stanford is more particular abt word limits. Try to cut it by 50 words are so, at that point I doubt it will be noticeable once they have printed out the app.
Current Student
Schools: Erb Institute: Ross | SNRE
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2008, 06:44
hsampath wrote:
I get the feeling that Stanford is more particular abt word limits. Try to cut it by 50 words are so, at that point I doubt it will be noticeable once they have printed out the app.

someone asked this at the on-campus info session i went to and the admissions person said it was okay as long as it's not crazy over. remember stanford's limit used to be much higher. i think as long as it's not obvious that it's much longer since they should have a good sense of what 1800 words looks like after reading thousands of essays.

http://www.erb.umich.edu/
http://www.umsocialventure.com
post558169.html#558169 - a compilation of b-school interview questions
8-66345.html - my (detailed) gmat debrief

Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2008, 06:52
peaceyall wrote:
someone asked this at the on-campus info session i went to and the admissions person said it was okay as long as it's not crazy over. remember stanford's limit used to be much higher. i think as long as it's not obvious that it's much longer since they should have a good sense of what 1800 words looks like after reading thousands of essays.

Thanks a ton peaceyall!
I'm told adcoms are Nazi like as far as word limits are concerned and the app says

"Essay Length

Your answers for all four essay questions cannot exceed 1,800 words (in total), double-spaced using a 12-point font. Each of you has your own story to tell, so please allocate these 1,800 words among the essays in the way that is most effective for you. We provide some guidelines below as a starting point, but you should feel comfortable to write as much or little as you like on any question (as long as you do not exceed 1,800 words total).

Essay A: 750 words
Essay B: 450 words
Essay C: 300 words each"

So a bit concerned... i am going beserk trying to cut down the final 20 words (was over 100 initially).. will try my utmost.. else leave it at that.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2008, 07:30
I don't think you have to worry about 20 words - that's like one or two sentences more and would hardly be noticeable.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Haas '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2008, 19:20
stumbled across this stanford gsb video on youtube, thought it was pretty funny... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tub5o2uEGCc
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2008, 00:03
has anyone tried to preview the app?

There is a question about current supervisor being aware of the apllication. I selected Yes but the pdf shows it as blank.

Secondly the awards/honors section has cut off quite a chunk of data. I am within the limits (ur anyways not allowed to exceed) yet its cropped off..

Anyone else facing similar issues?
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2008, 04:40
Hi - yeah, the same thing has happened to me for the current supervisor question. Don't worry about it - I have heard that the printed app we see is not what the adcom sees.

I just submitted my application. Good luck to everyone!
Current Student
Schools: HBS '11
Followers: 4

Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2008, 04:49
hsampath wrote:
Hi - yeah, the same thing has happened to me for the current supervisor question. Don't worry about it - I have heard that the printed app we see is not what the adcom sees.

I just submitted my application. Good luck to everyone!

The HTML version of the app is not what the adcom sees, but the PDF version is. From the website:

Please click the "print" button below to view your application responses in HTML format. Once you have answered all the required questions on this application, you will be given the option to view your application in PDF format (as our office will see the application once submitted)
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2008, 05:39
submitted.
Current Student
Schools: HBS '11
Followers: 4

Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2008, 05:51
Another weird thing about Stanford's app is the title for what is supposed to be "Extracurricular Activities During University/College" shows up as "Activities and Awards After University/College" and "Activities After University/College" shows up as "Community/Civic/Charitable Activites since University/College, If applicable." in the printed app.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Rady School of Management at UC San Diego GO TRITONS

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2008, 06:38
sentiment wrote:
There is a question about current supervisor being aware of the apllication. I selected Yes but the pdf shows it as blank.

Secondly the awards/honors section has cut off quite a chunk of data. I am within the limits (ur anyways not allowed to exceed) yet its cropped off..

Anyone else facing similar issues?

Hi Sentiment,

I had the same issues. But, don't worry, I work in an admissions office that uses the same software...the adcom will be able to see the data you enter. The preview PDF is not the only way they can access your data. And if we're both having the same problem, I'm sure they'll notice it.

Turning in Stanford today... :good
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants!   [#permalink] 28 Oct 2008, 06:38