Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 10:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Schools: Booth 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2008, 12:02
It better! it's the only reason I applied to H and S!! :-D

msday86 wrote:
If someone gets into H and S, or H/S/W, does that automatically mean 100 kudos and mod status? ;)
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2008, 12:06
I honestly don't think I'd get into W. I don't think W and I have a good fit.

agold wrote:
You need to apply to W and have the tri-fecta to be recognized.

Although if you get admitted to both, I think you'll do what no GMATClubber has ever done before.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: HBS Class of 2011
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2008, 12:21
What is your work experience like egy?

I think msday is also 3/3 on the H/S/W!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: HBS Class of 2011
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2008, 12:22
egy wrote:
foodstamp wrote:
Out of curiousity which one would you pick egy? H or S?

It's a tough question... Mainly because I'm trying not to get too excited about all of this working out. That said, it's obviously impossible not to be thinking about it even a little. :-) Based on that low-level background thought going on... which should be heavily caveated... I'm currently leaning towards hbs. Though before my visit last week (wasn't my first time visiting), i was leaning towards stan... The class visit i had at stanford a few months ago was good, but not great. The handful of classes i saw at hbs were all extremely excellent. I think there's a lot about the S program that is far superior to hbs, but there's still something about the history of hbs that is significant.

At the end of the day, I know I would be really happy at both, even if for different reasons.. So i'm not going to really worry too much about this unlikely scenario unless it happens. If it does, I'd obviously attend admit weekends, talk to alumni, etc. to try to figure it out. But frankly, there are worse problems in the world to have. Fingers crossed! :-)

Getting into both would be sick. Yeah I have to agree on HBS... my class visit was amazing. I was very impressed with the level of discussion that took place.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2008, 17:34
Would rather not comment on work experience until after decisions go out, one way or another. but it's basically limited in number of years, though excellent in scale, scope and impact.

foodstamp wrote:
What is your work experience like egy?

I think msday is also 3/3 on the H/S/W!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Haas '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2008, 18:19
egy wrote:
Would rather not comment on work experience until after decisions go out, one way or another. but it's basically limited in number of years, though excellent in scale, scope and impact.

k i'm gonna take a stab in the dark here...brian boitano??
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2008, 19:09
I'm wondering what to do with the additional info section of the application. It says not to use it for additional essays. Do they just mean don't use it to answer one of the essay topics? I want to use it to discuss some aspect not captured in my applicant essays. Is that kosher?
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2008, 13:14
liubhs02 - I think that depends on what you want to discuss. It is usually appropriate to discuss something that will give the adcom a clearer picture of you. However, as they mention, do not use this as a way to include another essay (from Stanford's list of topics) or even an essay from another school. Someone at the information session asked about how they can talk about course work they have taken that they don't have transcripts for and the adcom asked them to use the additional information section. In my case I chose to use the additional section to discuss some of the job changes I had made since the application section did not provide me enough space to do so in a proper manner. I haven't received an invite - so take this info as you will.

In the four essays allowed, ideally your examples should include all aspects of your life that are important to you, but if there is something else equally important that you want the adcoms to know about, that is relevant to your candidacy and to your post MBA goals, I don't see why you cannot include it in the additional information section. (terry or kry or this year's superstars - please chime in :))
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2008, 15:31
I am!!!

TL wrote:
egy wrote:

k i'm gonna take a stab in the dark here...brian boitano??
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 327 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2008, 18:47
mbagal pretty much answered it, though I would be very careful about sneaking in another "essay" using the additional information section. I think that area is reserved for special circumstances or a short paragraph explaining some grades, gap in employment, or things like that. It's not the same as Berkeley or UCLA's optional essay where you can write an essay about an aspect of your candidacy that you haven't talked about.

In short, I would not write about a different aspect of myself with the optional section, and would use it judiciously. terry12 should chime in on this if he gets a chance.

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2008, 22:21
Hi Can someone please post the recommender questions stanford asks?
Intern
Intern
Schools: Wharton/MIT
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2008, 00:48
Just found this webpage. I had my Stanford interview last Sunday, actually i didn't feel good about it. The guy was a bit arrogant(of course he has grounds to be so), which made me feel stress and speak fast.
Don't know how much weight does interview play in my package evaluation, anyone has any idea?
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2008, 08:12
Thanks Foodstamp...+1 for you :)

foodstamp wrote:
Here you go:

1. Please describe your relationship to the candidate, and describe the circumstances under which you have known her or him.

2. How is the candidate’s impact on your organization different from that of other well-qualified individuals in similar roles?

3. What do you like most about the candidate?

4. Please describe the most constructive feedback you have given the candidate. Please also detail the circumstances that caused you to give the feedback.

5. Is there anything else (positive or negative) about the candidate that we should know?
Current Student
Schools: Cornell, Duke, Kellogg, Ross
WE 1: 5

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2008, 08:46
Looks like we have very few invites so far!
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg MMM, Class of 2011
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2008, 15:19
liubhs02 wrote:
romneychen wrote:
The guy was a bit arrogant(of course he has grounds to be so), which made me feel stress and speak fast.

I don't think anyone has the right to be arrogant just because s/he is in certain position. S/He should be thankful of the opportunities s/he had been given to achieve that position, no one does it alone. If my interviewer (if I get an interview) were like that, that would be -1 for Stanford.

Well said!

http://bent.tw

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2008, 19:05
still waiting for an interview..who knows..
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2008, 03:57
For those putting in a R2 app.. looks like a lot of us R1 applicants made these mistakes.

Avoiding 10 common mistakes on your application

With the Round 2 application deadline just a little over a month away (7 January 2009) I wanted to draw your attention to the Top Ten most frequent (and avoidable) mistakes we find on your applications:

--Enter your name correctly. In the application, you enter your family name (also called last name) before your first name (also called given name). Yes, smart people make this mistake.

--Provide a specific reason for leaving any of your previous jobs--as opposed to a reason for accepting your next job. In the application verification process over the summer, this is the cause of many issues.

--Submit your application only after your recommenders have submitted your Letters of Reference. Stanford's instructions may differ from some other schools in this regard, but your application processing works best when you follow our advice. Trust us on this.

--If your university provided A/B/C/D grades, calculate your grade point average on a four-point scale (A=4, A-=3.7, B+=3.3, B=3, C=2, D=1, etc.). Do this even if your university did not calculate the grade point average. This is the easiest math problem that you're likely to see in an MBA program.

--If there is any period of four-plus months when you were neither in school nor working, tell us what you were doing during that time.

--For Essay C (Options 1-4) discuss experiences that have occurred in the last three years. Work, community, or college experiences are terrific, as long as they took place within the last three years. Be sure to tell us the "how" and "why," not just the "what."

--If you can't get a recommendation from your current supervisor, provide a brief explanation (one or two sentences) in the Additional Information section of the Online Application.

--For your Letter of Reference from a peer please make sure the person you pick is indeed a peer (an equal). Though few people like hierarchy, our supervisors are not our peers. Even if your supervisor is your friend, he/she by definition is not your peer. While many peers also are friends, remember that not all friends are good choices for recommendations.

--Check your transcript after you scan/upload it. As a general rule, if you can't read it, we can't read it.

--When calculating your months of work experience, only include post-college work and provide the months (not the years) through September of the year in which you plan to enroll (not as of the date you're applying).

As always, if you have any questions please contact us.

Thank you and best wishes,
LaNeika Ward
Acting Assistant Director of MBA Admissions
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg MMM, Class of 2011
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2008, 04:25
CompanyMan wrote:
For those putting in a R2 app.. looks like a lot of us R1 applicants made these mistakes....

Sigh - I didn't make any of those mistakes, but still no interview invite... :cry:

http://bent.tw

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2008, 06:32
you are not the only one :(
Current Student
Schools: HBS '11

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2008, 07:39
ha actually I did make one of those mistakes... I submitted my app before my last recommender who submitted her rec the day after the deadline. bah!
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants!   [#permalink] 10 Dec 2008, 07:39