Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 22:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 14

Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2009, 22:22
congrats rjacobs! Good meeting you in person today too. I wish you the best of luck with Stanford (even though I secretly want you to come to Haas :P).

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2009, 08:43
I am finishing my app for R2,just wanted input from all you guys,

For the question "What are your career aspirations? How will your education at Stanford help you achieve them"

What ratio did you guys follow for each part [60:40] ? i.e 60 % aspirations and 40 % how would stan help ?
Current Student
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2009, 11:19
GUYS....
Got an interview invite.... I still cannot believe it.... I thought my chances were 0 since it is so close to the deadline... I think I will have a phone interview because they cannot locate any alumni in my area.... People who interviewed before some advice please....????
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: HBS Class of 2011
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2009, 11:20
emirtumen wrote:
GUYS....
Got an interview invite.... I still cannot believe it.... I thought my chances were 0 since it is so close to the deadline... I think I will have a phone interview because they cannot locate any alumni in my area.... People who interviewed before some advice please....????

Congrats! Knock em dead.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: HBS Class of 2011
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2009, 11:53
Here is the latest adcom blog entry:

6 January 2009
New Year's Resolution
What better way to start the new year than to pay a visit to the Stanford MBA Program? It is never too early or late to visit, no matter if you have already applied or are thinking of applying in the future.

Please know that visiting campus truly has no effect on your candidacy. We offer events so you can experience a typical day in the MBA program.
- We begin offering Class Visits, Lunch with a Current Student, and Tours of the GSB on Monday January 12, 2009.
- Registration is required and space is limited, so be sure to make your reservation before you arrange your travel plans. We cannot guarantee participation without proper registration.
- It is wise for applicants thinking of applying in future years to visit campus in the Winter or Spring terms (January-May). The availability for Class Visits, Lunch with a Current Student, and Tours of the GSB are limited during the Fall term.
- For more information and to register for events, visit us here.

The MBA Admissions office is open from 8:00 am - 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday. We are always happy to meet with applicants and prospective applicants.

Take care,

Brad Lindeberg
Admissions Counselor
Manager
Manager
Schools: Rady School of Management at UC San Diego GO TRITONS
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2009, 13:41
kryzak wrote:
congrats rjacobs! Good meeting you in person today too. I wish you the best of luck with Stanford (even though I secretly want you to come to Haas :P).

Thanks kry, it was good to meet you yesterday too! Getting in to either Stanford or Haas would be absolutely teriffic for me, really. All rivalry aside, they both have so much to offer...now it's just a waiting game!
Stanford Thread Master
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 20

Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2009, 08:40
Submitted R2. Feeling light headed now. Best of luck everyone.

Cheers,
Ashish
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg MMM, Class of 2011

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2009, 08:51
zimzamzum wrote:
Submitted R2. Feeling light headed now. Best of luck everyone.

Cheers,
Ashish

That lightness is just your wallet - sorry!

http://bent.tw

Stanford Thread Master

Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2009, 09:50
May be .. Stanford application is one of the costliest.

~ashish
Current Student
Schools: Haas, Kellogg, Sloan, Stanford

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2009, 13:37
Just submitted for the Stanford R2 lottery. Good luck everyone!
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg (accepted), Chicago Booth (*ATTENDING* full tuition fellowship +20k stipend), HBS (ding), Stanford (WL), Michigan (Accepted w/full scholarship)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2009, 14:50
I have my Stanford interview tomorrow afternoon. I'm trying really hard to prepare without seeming TOO prepared... ya know?

I'm still scarred from a really embarrassing experience I had when I was in eighth grade and interviewed for a job as a page in the state house of representatives... I won't say much, but it involved me blanking and choosing Julia Roberts as my idol. Yeah, I FROZE up.

I'm at least prepared for that question now. I should have talked about Meg Ryan. ;)

Yikes. Wish me luck!

--jcl246

P.S. I'll try to post my experience here tomorrow night.
Stanford Thread Master

Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2009, 10:42
Best of luck :) ..
Current Student

Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2009, 12:48
good luck...knock him/her dead...
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg (accepted), Chicago Booth (*ATTENDING* full tuition fellowship +20k stipend), HBS (ding), Stanford (WL), Michigan (Accepted w/full scholarship)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2009, 13:36
Thanks for the good wishes! I just got back from my interview and I think it went really well (fingers crossed).

I wanted to share my experiences for any folks who haven't interviewed yet...

I met with an alumna who was very nice and personable. She interacted with me throughout the interview, giving me feedback when she liked my answers and sharing her own experiences. The first half hour was mostly her asking me questions, the last fifteen minutes was her answering my questions. I was surprised that there weren't that many questions asked, but they were almost all ones where you had to give specific examples.

Below are ALL the questions I was asked:
-What brought you here? (applying for business school)
-Why stanford?
-Talk about a time you encountered a problem you had to overcome.
-Time when a leader fell short and you had to step up and lead.
-Time when you've been challenged as a leader and what you learned from it.
-Talk about a time when your values were challenged and you had to consult your moral compass.
-Time when you wanted to give up and how you motivated yourself to keep going.
-A book I'd recommend that I've read recently.
-What questions do you have for me?

The Stanford alumna was so great. Definitely sold me even more on the school (if that's even possible).

Good luck folks!
--jcl246
Current Student
Schools: Wharton '11
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2009, 14:05
Glad that it went well for you. I have noticed that the Stanford interviews go very well and are relaxed.

You have had some specific leadership questions! Some of them would have caught me off-guard.
Current Student

Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2009, 22:40
I am glad it went great... I hope my interview will be an enjoyable experience as well. Since there is no alumni in my area I have to do the interview on the phone with the adcom.. I hope I can make the personal connection over the phone...
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg MMM, Class of 2011

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2009, 22:41
emirtumen wrote:
I am glad it went great... I hope my interview will be an enjoyable experience as well. Since there is no alumni in my area I have to do the interview on the phone with the adcom.. I hope I can make the personal connection over the phone...

Are you an international? What part of the world? (If you don't mind me asking...)

http://bent.tw

Current Student
Schools: HBS Stanford Kellogg Wharton Tuck MIT Sloan

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2009, 22:45
jcl246 wrote:
I have my Stanford interview tomorrow afternoon. I'm trying really hard to prepare without seeming TOO prepared... ya know?

I'm still scarred from a really embarrassing experience I had when I was in eighth grade and interviewed for a job as a page in the state house of representatives... I won't say much, but it involved me blanking and choosing Julia Roberts as my idol. Yeah, I FROZE up.

I'm at least prepared for that question now. I should have talked about Meg Ryan. ;)

Yikes. Wish me luck!

--jcl246

P.S. I'll try to post my experience here tomorrow night.

Erin Brokovich may have been a great answer !
Current Student
Schools: HBS Stanford Kellogg Wharton Tuck MIT Sloan

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2009, 22:48
Round 2..i think this was one of my best essays..really got me thinking.love that about stanford...
Current Student

Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2009, 23:00
Hey.. I am from Istanbul, TURKEY... I know some alumni from Stanford MBA but I guess they are not conducting alumni interviews...
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants!   [#permalink] 08 Jan 2009, 23:00