Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 19:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All Stanford Fall 2010 applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling All Stanford Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2010, 21:14
This post received
KUDOS
Sadly, it is definitely time to give up hope :)

Not everyone that gets an interview comes to the forums to post

MBA14 wrote:
I have been following both this forum and BW since begining of Feb and I have seen fewer than 15 invites have gone out (since begining of Feb)...wondering whether most of the invites have gone out....Anyone called Stanford Admission Office lately? Wondering whether it's time to give up hope and move on....

F2013 R1: Stanford
F2011 R1: Stanford
F2010 R2: Stanford, Cal, UCLA, USC, UCSD($$$)
GPA: 3.5+ B.S., J.D.
GMAT: 94%
WE: 2 Startups (Co-Founder)

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Haas (R2) admitted, Stanford (R2) admitted
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling All Stanford Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2010, 14:28
This post received
KUDOS
Calls have started! I am admitted! Sooo happy!
Since I know some people will ask, I got the call 5mn ago and I am based in Mexico.
Good luck to all! :-D :-D :-D
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All Stanford Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2010, 18:46
This post received
KUDOS
I'm in - got my DB call at 7:40pm EST. In NYC here.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Truman Scholar
Schools: Stanford GSB R2, MIT Sloan R2 (w/o int), HBS R2 (w/o int)
WE 1: 8 years, Senior VP, acquired Silicon Valley startup

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All Stanford Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2010, 20:43
This post received
KUDOS
Just got the call. He was VERY polite and kind.

However, for those of you waiting up anxiously, he said I was in his west coast stack by accident. So, don't take it as a sign one way or another if you haven't heard by tonight but aren't on the west coast -- he emphasized his lessons in manners say he shouldn't be calling this late, and it sounded like he had more calls for tomorrow.

Good luck to all!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All Stanford Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2010, 22:02
This post received
KUDOS
I had fallen asleep, but just woke up to a v/m from Dean Bolton!! (I'm West Coast, but traveling in TX for work so couldn't wait up any longer.)
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Wharton (R1, accepted with fellowship), MIT Sloan (R1, accepted), HBS (R1, ding w/o interview), GSB (R2, accepted)

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All Stanford Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2010, 23:50
This post received
KUDOS
i am in!!! he left a vm at my work before midnight PST (on west coast). had to slap myself to make sure i wasn't having a beautiful dream
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Wharton (R1, accepted with fellowship), MIT Sloan (R1, accepted), HBS (R1, ding w/o interview), GSB (R2, accepted)

Re: Calling All Stanford Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 00:15
This post received
KUDOS
def going to gsb. went there for undergrad and am obsessed with everything about the school :) feel free to PM me!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All Stanford Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 00:20
This post received
KUDOS
I got the call an hour ealier. I am in Asia.....Stanford is my dream school....
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: HBS R2, Stanford R2, Wharton R2, Columbia RD, Tuck R2, Darden R2, Texas R2
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 25

Re: Calling All Stanford Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 02:51
This post received
KUDOS
I'm in!

Got the call at 11:20 GMT in the UK.

Last edited by RonMexico on 31 Mar 2010, 04:58, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: HBS - Class of 2012

Re: Calling All Stanford Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 03:13
This post received
KUDOS
RonMexico wrote:
I'm in!

Got the call at 11:20 GMT in the UK. Just hopped out of the shower, house was cold (snowing outside), and this caused my knees to shake a bit more. My hat is off to Mr. Bolton for staying up until 3AM making calls!

Congrats!!! Very impressive track record!

But I have to say I am a bit jealous: you hop out of the shower at 11:20AM on a Wednesday but managed to get into Stanford... What is your job? Can I have your recipe? :-D
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Truman Scholar
Schools: Stanford GSB R2, MIT Sloan R2 (w/o int), HBS R2 (w/o int)
WE 1: 8 years, Senior VP, acquired Silicon Valley startup

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All Stanford Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 05:15
This post received
KUDOS
mTORC1 wrote:
Congrats to all the accepted applicants! Any of guys/gals interested in reading essays in the fall? :-D

I'd be happy to. I was talking to a friend last night about the essays, and how I felt like I did a better job on my Stanford essays (albeit rushed) than I did on my HBS and Sloan ones. The latter felt, in a way, too polished. Stanford was the product of my having thought about them passively for 4 months (I started my app for R1, put it down and didn't apply to R2, but thought about the essays off and on in the intervening period.) I think the result was that the Stanford essay was the truest to me and told "my" story rather than just "a" story, if that makes sense.

Fingers still crossed for folks getting calls today!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Haas (R2) admitted, Stanford (R2) admitted

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling All Stanford Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 06:30
This post received
KUDOS
Hang in there everyone, yesterday he said he was hoping to finish the calls around midday, so he should still have a few hours of calling left! And congrats to all the admits, cant wait to meet you all soon!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Stanford R2 2012 (wl w/int); Stanford R1 2013 (int)

Re: Calling All Stanford Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 07:42
This post received
KUDOS
Hey guys, thought I would post a great Sandy quote from the BW forums on how this process plays out 8-)

"Stanford is more Bolton-centric, he starts calling people day before D-Day, sometimes 36 hours prior, often Asia first, with accepts, then if you tune into Stanford R1 thread, you can follow the phone calls, as happy accepted kids post I JUST GOT THE CALL, and other silly blather about how they were in the shower, when in fact, all anyone else wants to know is. WHERE ARE YOU LOCATED AND WHAT ARE YOUR STATS. Which they happy doofuses sometimes post and sometimes do not. Friend, you will find these boards a lot different after you get in, reading them post accept is sorta like sleeping on a fraternity couch. OF course, I am doomed to stay here forever, but everyone has a burden to bear.

Now how Bolton defends his 36 hour phone-a-thon, which is really nerve wracking, and sorta like some tortured game of musical chairs, dunno. All the Stanford applicants are on to the 'game' and following Stan Round One thread that day is sadistic fun, starting w. first I GOT IN dope, who giggles on and does not tell you stats and location. Then other kids who live near Stanford sorta lurk by his office and report when he is eating lunch, when lights go out, what time he goes to bed, while the usual dying enders on Stan thread calculate how long it takes to make a call, how many calls an hour, blah blah, someone posts a spreadsheet, a la Col ED thread, and then, as you may have noted w. HBS Round One invites thread, at some point, the calls stop. No more calls, then kids get sick and barf, and demand their money back, then other clowns come up increasingly wild theories about why calls will start again. ETC. Real fun.

Sure it is nice to get a call, but he could notify everyone on D-Day by email,instead of protracting the stress etc. and then call in next 2 days for personal hello, but of course, then he would not be playing GOD, just some schlub adcom sorta rolling out the Welcome Wagon.

If you have not gotten the call fr. Bolton by D-Day you are [99 percent] not getting in. Opening your official announcment is like taking the tie off a doggie drop bag. Surprise!!! it's dog doo!!!!"

Let all try to remain positive 8-)
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 321 [1] , given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Calling All Stanford Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 13:56
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I dedicate the following poem to all those who dream of GSB, but was denied. I, too, dreamed of GSB, but after being denied twice, I gave up that dream. So this is for all your broken hearted dreamers.
Oh Stanford GSB, how you've hurt me so?
I’d suffer a thousand dings if I can court you though.
Another elite b-school I must now go,
But without an interview with you to show.

Diversity

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All Stanford Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 15:07
This post received
KUDOS
I am in!!!

For the purposes of locking in the facts for the help future nervous, global applicants. I received the call at ~4pm local time (Perth, Western Australia) towards the end of the deadline day of March 31st. This translates to ~1am San Fran time!

I feel like I have been in Stanford's orbit since my first visit to the USA in 1999 and am truly humbled and thrilled..

If Stanford is your dream - don't give up! - I sat on the edge of the bell curve in a few respects in relation to the 'typical' Stanford MBA applicant but I believe that, in future applications, your determination will show through.. especially if you use the interim to create some unique experiences and contribute to the space around you in some positive way.. the sacrifice of extra time can be worth it.

I am thinking of creating a blog of my story (with a nod to my healthcare background). If you are interested in following please PM me and I'll let you know when it's ready.

My best to you all and thanks for all the valuable posts.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Booth 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 71 [1] , given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Stanford Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2010, 12:25
This post received
KUDOS
First of all, congrats to everyone that got in!

Sadly, it's a ding for me... so Chicago it is!

Looks like gmatclub's waitlisted reapplicants got no love this year. The 10%+ increase in applications over last year's ridiculous numbers probably didn't help us marginal folks any.

Anyway, congrats again to the lucky few! Make the rest us proud!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford University !

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling All Stanford Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2010, 02:18
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Everyone,

I have applied for R3. Although I think that Stanford is perfect for me and that I am exactly what it is looking for, I have a pretty sure feeling that I will not get in. I have to keep telling myself what a long-shot it is for me to get in because I just fill my head with possibilities which will (about 95% likely) be transformed into disappointment.

I'm so glad to have found this forum because finally someone understands why I would put myself through such a grueling process! I'm sure most of us are in similar boats of seeing the goal so close after turning in applications, but knowing the unbelievable odds against us. So, please, excuse the length of this reply! I haven't had contact with other applicants and wish that (through my hours of research on Stanford) I had found this site before R3's deadline.

My essays were to be the strongest component of my app because I just recently graduated w/ a BA in psychology and have little professional experience. My GMAT score is only 620, but my graduating GPA was 3.99. I volunteer often and even created and managed a woman empowerment group for foster girls for 11 weeks. I am multi-cultural and wrote about it in my essay as a basis of discovering what was most important to me.

I spent absolutely ridiculous amounts of time on those essays--especially Essay 1. I have notebooks filled with notes on myself and have written probably 10 different attempts of my first draft of Essays 1 and 2!

I was applying for R2, but I just couldn't get my word count low enough to say everything I wanted to say. I usually have the problem of not writing ENOUGH to fulfill a word requirement. At my simplest core, I am an artist and poet and like to keep things simple and short (obviously, right? haha).

I'm SO glad that I waited to apply for R3 because my essays transformed completely after throwing out my initial plan of touching on each significant event for Essay 1 and plugging in my new one of focusing on one event that many of the others stemmed from.

On April 7th, I still had to cut off some words even though I had worked on the essays like a full time job since January. I had about 1700 words and began reading and chopping and reading and chopping to fit under 1400 words. At last inspection, I had 1399 words and clicked that submit button--shaking!

Here's the good part, where my face turns white:

In anticipation, I accidently found this forum. It is exactly what I was looking for for months! To my HORROR, I read about people's difficulty with the 1800 word limit. HOW could I have made that mistake? How? I could have used 401 more words! Good grief.

I think that my essays turned out well, though not perfect as I had hoped. How do you think the admissions committee will look at my LACK of words? And do you think they will even (truthfully) care because my GMAT score is so low?

I can't believe this!

Even if I didn't get in, I wanted to feel like I gave it my best. It's just a bit frustrating feeling so close to a dream boot camp for influencing a better world, yet knowing I probably have no chance.

Oh well, I think I did give my best other than that. Oh yeah, I am also going to World Expo 2010 in China this June with a college where I am taking pre-MBA classes.

--I'D LOVE TO HEAR YOUR OPINION--

Other than what you think about my word chopping, I have a few more questions (if you've read this far, thank you!):

*Are there any recent college grads here that have applied in any round?
*Send me a message if you'd like to chat about what you've discovered mattered most...(gee I'm sucha nerd!)
*If anyone who was accepted would like to exchange essays, or at least give me a perspective on mine if you want to keep yours private, PLEASE let me know. I'd like to whether I am admitted or not. I would appreciate it immensely!

Thank you ALL, and although you are my competition, congrats to everyone who gets accepted! !!! Use it well!

Let's save the world!

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 6

Re: Calling All Stanford Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2010, 12:11
This post received
KUDOS
interviews are going out today or tomorrow and will continue through mid-may

angryinsomiac, you sound like such a great person, keep up the positive attitude, regardless of what stanford says you are a winner in my book! :)

btw what's up with the name?

Last edited by qaum on 20 Apr 2010, 12:53, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All Stanford Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2010, 12:34
This post received
KUDOS
quos wrote:
This is from the goings on from another forum. Two people responded within a couple hours saying 1. They got an email, 2. They had a friend who got an email.

I'm still waiting... Same boat. :)

no need to be so secretive dude, no one will get an advantage over you if you just tell them the name of the forum...

he read this in biz week, someone had a 730 gmat / 3.5 ugpa and 3 years of experience and got an interview, another person said their friend got an interview who went to MIT / 3 years / 790 gmat - i'm saying this off the top of my head - check business week forums (b-school) and click on the stanford 2012 topic

good luck everyone
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All Stanford Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2010, 10:19
This post received
KUDOS
ZOMG I GOT AN INTERVIEW!!!

woohoo!!! THERE IS HOPE!!!

came in at ~11:00 PST

YAY! :) :) :) :) :)
Re: Calling All Stanford Fall 2010 applicants!   [#permalink] 29 Apr 2010, 10:19