Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 00:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All Stanford Fall 2010 applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 6

Re: Calling All Stanford Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2010, 13:11
This post received
KUDOS
i actually posted a long post here but it got deleted because someone PM'ed me

i got requests for my background so here it is (re-typing it all)

i submitted right before deadline

3.8+ at tier 3 undergrad, liberal arts
gmat way below median
6+ years w/e almost all entrepreneurship (failed)
non profit extra
recs were average every day people you meet on the street

essays were good. i spent a lot of time "introspecting" and thinking about my life in an honest way rather than thinking about the marketing spin on it. talked about how i have dealt with failure.

i truly feel fortunate and blessed and wish everyone waiting for an interview good luck, it is truly nerve-wracking!!!

i hope stanford isn't just interviewing me for their amusement... LOL...

e-mail follows:

Hello xxx,

The Stanford MBA Admissions Office has reviewed your application to the Stanford MBA Program. We would like to invite you to meet with one of our alumni for a 45-minute interview. The purpose of this meeting is both evaluative and informational, with an emphasis on creating an enjoyable experience.

Your alumni interviewer is:
xxx

If you have a pre-existing relationship with your alumni interviewer, please immediately contact xxx.

To move forward, it is imperative that you follow the instructions below:

1. We ask that you contact your alumni interviewer - contact information is provided above - to schedule a mutually convenient time and location to meet. We suggest business attire, but ask that you contact your alumni interviewer to confirm specifics of the meeting.

2. Please send your alumni interviewer a copy of your resume via email or fax. Please do NOT send other information (your essays, transcripts, etc.).

3. If at all possible, please schedule and complete the interview within one week. If it is not feasible to complete the interview in that time period, please contact xxx.

4. As soon as you have confirmed the date of your meeting, please send a reply email to xxx.

We hope you will find the meeting stimulating and informative. Thank you again for your continued interest in the Stanford Graduate School of Business.

Warm regards,
xxx
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford University !

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling All Stanford Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2010, 19:50
This post received
KUDOS
Come on, we are SMART people here! :-)..

If I were adcom, my system would be:

1.) Accept: OMG I need these people, and I know other universities would think they are also valuable.
2.) Waitlist: I see their potential, but I need them to show me that they see it too by reapplying.
3.) Interview: These are people with potential, but I need to confirm it.
4.) Not Interview, Ding: These are people I like, but need to reapply because anyone who is attracted to this school is worthy of my serious consideration.

Or am I being optimistic? to include myself into the "Not" section because I know I don't have a chance.

Or am I being pessimistic because I don't think that even I have a chance, yet I include myself into the "Accept" 'definition'?

Excuse my being 'emo' again... haha

congrats to everyone who received an interview! here is my white flag lol

But ignore my heartbreak because seriously, congratulations. ! Definitely earned my respect. :-)

What does everyone else think? How do you 'feel' that their system works?

Let's save the world!

Last edited by angryinsomniac on 01 May 2010, 11:28, edited 2 times in total.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All Stanford Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 05 May 2010, 23:22
This post received
KUDOS
someone i know was called by DB on march 30th which is the night before decision notification day, so i assume DB will call people on the 18th then to maximize the agony of waiting :)

my interview was enjoyable... although there were standard questions... the majority of the time we kept it fairly informal and talked openly about the GSB experience... The discussion went longer than 2 hours even though we had originally budgeted only 45 minutes...

I was asked several questions such as my personal interests, times i have gone above and beyond the call of duty, etc

when the tables were turned, I asked a lot of questions around how he changed as a person, moments that made him think, inspiring people he met, the most interesting class he took, family life at GSB...

i think the scripted questions were just to sort of get some insights and create an opportunity for interesting conversations, i didn't get the sense that he was taking detailed notes and writing them down to communicate back to the AdCom

I stuttered a lot in my interview, i think, because i was really trying to think about the question and give honest answers, rather than say whatever was at the top of my head...

I feel like I could have come across more "planned" - but I think the quality of the ultimate answers (as i literally spent time talking about how i was thinking about the question) I provided made up for the weakness in structured communication...

i was really impressed with the interviewer and his background. he spoke multiple languages, grew up in several parts of the country, and had been overseas many times, and rotated around several start-ups.

anyways everything i have heard (including interviewer himself) said that iv does not matter much at all - lots of people get interviews but are then not offered admission - so basically that means i may have made it past the first cut of applicants - but i still only have a limited chance of getting in

from some of the various blog insights, only 40 interviews go out in round 3 in the first place... roughly 20 get in that are not on the waitlist already (i am unsure what % of the interviews are pure r3 apps or wait list apps)...

so i guess from the best available data i have, it is basically a 50/50 shot for me... :)

given my terrible stats all around... i am not gonna hold out too much hope... but if it happens i will be extremely extremely happy!!! of course i appreciate stanford at least giving me some lingering hope...

i will keep everyone in the forum updated...

cheers!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Stanford R2 2012 (wl w/int); Stanford R1 2013 (int)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All Stanford Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 May 2010, 08:16
This post received
KUDOS
quantjock wrote:

ha ha. biggus and i had a strategy session about this in palo alto. since at the moment we have like negative influence over DB, our conclusion was to work on scaring away the dual H/S admits who were clearly more H in personality. in exchange for our services, you have to keep that crazy ring tone on your phone from that night tho until you get the call. :-)

locked and loaded; everybody wants to rule the world! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
It's the final countdown, wish us luck!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All Stanford Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 May 2010, 17:25
This post received
KUDOS
o m g

i am speechless right.

i got in!!!

thanks so much to everyone on this forum for their support and help throughout this process! i really appreciate it! good luck to everyone waiting on their decision! the calls are coming out folks!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling All Stanford Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 May 2010, 17:30
This post received
KUDOS
congrats qaum!

i never got an interview invite so i think it's safe to say i'm dinged! i'll be going to the other bay area school. :)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All Stanford Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 May 2010, 18:21
This post received
KUDOS
qaum wrote:
o m g

i am speechless right.

i got in!!!

thanks so much to everyone on this forum for their support and help throughout this process! i really appreciate it! good luck to everyone waiting on their decision! the calls are coming out folks!

CONGRATS QAUM!!!!!!!! :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
be sure to give biggus and quantjock a high five for me when you get there!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All Stanford Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 May 2010, 10:37
This post received
KUDOS
:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
UGGGHHHHH I'm one of the 45 remaining on the waitlist
My ringtone was set up and EVERYTHING

GUYYYYYS, seriously you gotta help me out: When you visit Stanford and talk to Derrick, mention my awesomeness!!!!!

8-) 8-) 8-) <= check out those sunglasses- awesome

But seriously, any advice/suggestions on what the 45 of us should do to get in :?: :?:

Congrats to Qaum and everyone else in R3 and waitlist who got in!

Still with a dagger in my side,
baxter
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations
WE: Operations (Transportation)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 9

Re: Calling All Stanford Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2011, 09:25
This post received
KUDOS
Hey guys, is anyone here appying to Round 3? I will submit my app on April 6. I hope my background gives me the diversity edge I need for a round 3 at schools.
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS (R2), Stanford (R2), Columbia (RD-ding), Booth (R2)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Stanford Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 May 2009, 16:32
Proud to say I'm applying in R1. I genuinely look forward to writting those essay! :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Stanford Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 May 2009, 20:43
I will be applying to the top 5/6 schools. However, Stanford is #1 on my list, so R1.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Stanford Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 May 2009, 03:09
I would be curious to hear about someone's experience visiting the campus....anyone?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Stanford Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 May 2009, 03:29
I visited in APril.
Stanford is (obviously) an awesome school.
Students and teachers were all cool and friendly. They all seem to be really smart and chill people too.
Class was very engaging (they had a guest speaker to provide an extra perspective on the subject. Students had to do some short individual presentation as well..so it was exciting to see diff students doing their own unique thing).
Campus is beautiful (and they're currently working on a new building). My only regret was that i visited them on that crazy heat wave day..i think it was like 90+ F. People had to use their brochure as a 'fan' to cool themselves (yes, that includes me) while doing the campus + residence tour.

anybody else made a visit?
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Stanford Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 May 2009, 03:42
Sounds great. I think what really drew me initially to S were the smaller class size (tight community) and new curriculum. It also seems like S has a different approach to admissions (more personalized)... just a feeling. The blog entries by the admissions director are quite good. (http://www.gsb.stanford.edu/mba/admission/essays.html#) Director's Corner.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling All Stanford Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2009, 09:45
I recently visited Stanford for a Women's event...and loved it. The alumni panels were inspiring women entrepreneurs and it was clear that Stanford supports passion in areas beyond traditional post-MBA industries. There was also a class immersion with a GSB professor who was brilliant, humble, AND funny. I was surprised how much I enjoyed his class after having some not-so-great class visits at some east coast b-schools.

Overall, to me, Stanford had a different vibe about it. I've never fully comprehended the "fit" thing since I've met a mix of +/- people from all different b-schools but I will say that my visit made me actually want to apply whereas the visits to the other schools didn't necessarily do that.

Hope this helps!

Oh! And I'm in for R1. :)
Current Student
Schools: Ross Class of 2012
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Stanford Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2009, 11:31
Giving Stanford a run. Will most likely apply R2 with HBS going R1, but could be flip flopped.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling All Stanford Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2009, 09:39
In for R1:-)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All Stanford Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2009, 11:34
In for R1. A long shot but I dont want to have the regret that maybe if I had applied i might have gotten in.

Self reflection on what matters most to me and why under progress. How did some of the folks who got admitted to GSB approach the question?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Stanford(R2), Haas(R1-WL), Kellog(R1 Accepted), MIT(R1-dinged), Ross(R1-WL but declined)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All Stanford Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2009, 08:39
R1 here I come...

I had applied 2 years back. Would I be viewed as a re-applicant? Thoughts anyone?
Current Student
Schools: Booth 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Stanford Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2009, 08:32
Keep in mind that the GSB is moving to a new campus starting in the fall of 2010... so current campus tours aren't particularly relevant from a facilities perspective.

Probably count me in for probably R1. GSB's waitlist was not kind to me for Fall 2009.
Re: Calling All Stanford Fall 2010 applicants!   [#permalink] 15 Jun 2009, 08:32