Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 06:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Stanford Fall 2011 Applicants!!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
4 KUDOS received
Stanford Thread Master
Schools: Booth
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 38 [4] , given: 68

Calling all Stanford Fall 2011 Applicants!!! [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2010, 07:38
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Calling All Stanford GSB Fall 2011 Applicants!

Detailed Program Information: GMAT Club's Stanford GSB School Guide

Fall 2011 Application Instructions

Round 1 Deadline: 10/6/2010 | Decision Date: 12/15/2010
Round 2 Deadline: 1/6/2010 | Decision Date: 3/30/2011
Round 3 Deadline: 4/6/2011 | Decision Date: 5/18/2011

Quote:
Essay Length

Your answers for all of the essay questions cannot exceed 1,800 words.

You have your own story to tell, so please allocate the 1,800 words among all of the essays in the way that is most effective for you. We provide some guidelines below as a starting point, but you should feel comfortable to write as much or as little as you like on any essay question, as long as you do not exceed 1,800 words total.

• Essay 1: 750 words
  • Essay 2: 450 words
  • Essay 3: 300 words each

Formatting
  • Use a 12-point font, double spaced
  • Recommended fonts are Arial, Courier, and Times New Roman
  • Indicate which essay question you are answering at the beginning of each essay
  • Number all pages
  • Upload all four essays as one document
  • Preview the uploaded document to ensure that the formatting is true to the original
  • Save a copy of your essays

Essays
Essay 1: What matters most to you, and why?
Essay 2: What are your career aspirations? What do you need to learn at Stanford to achieve them?
Essay 3: Answer two of the four questions below. Tell us not only what you did but also how you did it. What was the outcome? How did people respond? Only describe experiences that have occurred during the last three years.
  • Option A: Tell us about a time when you built or developed a team whose performance exceeded expectations.
  • Option B: Tell us about a time when you made a lasting impact on your organization.
  • Option C: Tell us about a time when you generated support from others for an idea or initiative.
  • Option D: Tell us about a time when you went beyond what was defined, established, or expected.

Recommendation Questions (3 recommenders)
2 Professional/Workplace References
  • Please briefly describe your relationship to the candidate, and describe the circumstances under which you have known her or him.
  • How does the candidate’s performance compare to other well-qualified individuals in similar roles?
  • What (if any) legacy has this candidate left on your organization?
  • Describe the most constructive feedback you have given the candidate. Please also detail the circumstances that caused you to give the feedback.
  • Is there anything else (positive or negative) we should know about the candidate?

1 Peer/Team Reference
  • Please briefly describe your relationship to the candidate, and describe the circumstances under which you have known her or him.
  • Describe how the candidate has generated support from others for an idea or initiative.
  • What (if any) lasting impact has this candidate left on your organization?
  • Describe the most constructive feedback you have given the candidate. Please also detail the circumstances that caused you to give the feedback.
  • Is there anything else (positive or negative) we should know about the candidate?

Essay Analysis

APPLICANT LIST:

GSB Applicant List Google Doc

Round 1 (101 applicants)
Matriculating: N/A
Admitted: 11 (11%)
Waitlisted: 5 (5%)
Denied: 85

APPLICANTS: Please fill out your stats in the Google Doc attached and keep updating your information whenever you see fit!We will keep this thread updated as well

Current students: Terry12, Mikus, quantjock

All quoted sections in this post are from the Application Requirements page of the Stanford GSB Website

College Students:
Quote:
*Take the GMAT or GRE in your junior or early in your senior year.
*Pursue opportunities for independent research, such as lab work, seminars, and theses.
*Take courses in mathematics—such as calculus, microeconomics, or statistics—to strengthen your quantitative exposure.
*Take an accounting course to understand the language of business.
*Take logic courses—such as computer programming, philosophy, and physics—to refine your analytical capabilities.
*Read the Wall Street Journal, Economist, and Financial Times to understand the business environment and learn about industries, careers, and organizations.
*Explore professional pursuits through challenging summer internships. Cultivate strong relationships with supervisors and mentors, and seek out opportunities to learn new skills and knowledge.
*Investigate different careers to refine your goals. Sites like WetFeet offer a wealth of information about organizations and professional fields. Talk to friends, or relatives who work in your field of interest.
*Even if you intend to enroll in an MBA program directly after graduation, participate in your college’s recruiting process to learn about careers, organizations and industries. It’s smart to have options.

OTHER RESOURCES:

Quote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Screenshot:
Attachment:
File comment: Stanford 2011 Applicant List
HBS 2011 Applicant List.png
HBS 2011 Applicant List.png [ 30.4 KiB | Viewed 85070 times ]

Attachments

stanford.jpg
stanford.jpg [ 102.15 KiB | Viewed 85234 times ]

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Last edited by Av on 19 Feb 2011, 21:15, edited 17 times in total.
Thread master changed
Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.75
WE: General Management (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2011 Applicants!!! [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2010, 09:35
Hey guys,

I'm applying for general admission round 1, class of 2013..

currently have 3.5 years (4.5 by next fall) of experience in sports rights management, new media - highly international, entrepreneurial

best of luck to all of you!

Singapore
Applied:
Stanford Sep'12 intake RD1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2011 Applicants!!! [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 07:27
im applying to r1. good luck to all.

kudos if you like me (or my post) :P

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2011 Applicants!!! [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 10:25
applying round 1 as well
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2011 Applicants!!! [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 13:28
In for Rd 2
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2011 Applicants!!! [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2010, 18:55
Please count me in for Round 1
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2011 Applicants!!! [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2010, 14:11
in for round 1
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2011 Applicants!!! [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2010, 22:30
here for rd1

kudos if you like me (or my post) :P

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 20

Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2011 Applicants!!! [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2010, 04:55
Hi there,
I have a question concerning the admit rates.
GSB's admit rate is claimed by Vertias Annual Report as 8%.
But, according to the GSB's web site, out of total ~7000 applicants, 370 were enrolled. Then, how would be the admit rate 8%.
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 340

Kudos [?]: 1394 [0], given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2011 Applicants!!! [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2010, 04:59
amaterasu: Admit rate and yield rate are not the same. Admit rate refers to the number of people who were extended an offer of admission, while yield rate is the number of people among them who actually join/matriculate. Hope this helps. Are you applying? If so, which round?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 20

Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2011 Applicants!!! [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2010, 21:33
whiplash2411 wrote:
amaterasu: Admit rate and yield rate are not the same. Admit rate refers to the number of people who were extended an offer of admission, while yield rate is the number of people among them who actually join/matriculate. Hope this helps. Are you applying? If so, which round?

whiplash: I beg to differ here. Say, they are 400 applicants admitted but from that ~ 350 were enrolled so, there would be a yield. But, what I want to know is, from what amount of a pool were this 400 applicants are admitted ? In Veritas report, yield is 77%, admit is 8%.
Also look at here, maybe this will clarify my question:
http://www.gsb.stanford.edu/about/facts.html
There are tables related to MBA enrollment. Total enrollment is 755, and the enrollment is 385. What is the admit rate then, there are two classes ?
Yeah, GSB is a great place I will apply definitely, but I do not know if I were able to make it happen to R2 without rushing the application, considering not already having taken GMAT and TOEFL. I do my best but, working full-time is where I fall short. And also trying to learn more about the schools is really really more time consuming than I have ever imagined.
Ciao
Stanford Thread Master
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 20

Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2011 Applicants!!! [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 20:16
I am applying in round 1 :). I got selected for The Reliance Dhirubhai Fellowship (http://www.gsb.stanford.edu/mba/financi ... nce-p.html ). I have to take my Gmat again that I am planning for August end.
Current Student
Schools: USC Marshall School of Business
WE 1: Software Consulting
WE 2: Government / Healthcare
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2011 Applicants!!! [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2010, 04:44
Also going to apply round 1. Reapplicant here...

Something about Kudos or other... if you like then upvote away.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago,Tuck,Oxford,cambridge

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 7

Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2011 Applicants!!! [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2010, 05:13
count me in too for round 1 !!!!!!
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 340

Kudos [?]: 1394 [0], given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2011 Applicants!!! [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2010, 14:01
zimzamzum: You're in the final 50 I am assuming? Good luck! :)

Can you all please update your information in the Google Doc spreadsheet please? Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2011 Applicants!!! [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2010, 02:32
Arguably has the lowest rate of admission, but i might just apply.
Stanford Thread Master

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 20

Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2011 Applicants!!! [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2010, 02:40
yeah I already updated the spreadsheet. I am working hard on scoring well in Gmat since my first two attempts didn't got me score of what I was expecting.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2285

Kudos [?]: 8905 [0], given: 3671

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2011 Applicants!!! [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2010, 08:52
Expert's post
FYI. I have updated the thread and embedded the Google Doc to fit in the discussion.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 295

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2011 Applicants!!! [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2010, 13:45
In for Round 1
Current Student
Schools: Stanford '12
WE 1: Wall Street Finance
WE 2: Entrepreneurship
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 18

Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2011 Applicants!!! [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2010, 19:26
gkumar wrote:
In for Round 1

glad to see you back in the game gkumar. good luck this season.
Re: Calling all Stanford Fall 2011 Applicants!!!   [#permalink] 03 Aug 2010, 19:26