Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 06:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Sep 2011
Posts: 29
Location: United States
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.65
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2011, 11:40
emalby wrote:
Got mine yesterday (Tuesday) at 8.50pm CET

Congratulations! Seems they are trickling in, either very slowly or the people on GMAT club are not being invited :(
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Haas Thread Master
User avatar
Joined: 23 Aug 2010
Posts: 214
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.3
WE: Design (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 34

Reviews Badge
Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2011, 13:06
emalby wrote:
Got mine yesterday (Tuesday) at 8.50pm CET


Congratulations !! and all the best for your interview. :-D
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 08 Dec 2010
Posts: 2
Schools: Stanford GSB Class of 2013
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2011, 19:19
1
This post received
KUDOS
shekmba wrote:
We can safely expect a bulk of the invites to go out in the next 5-10 days. They need to release the decisions by the 16th (if I remember correctly) and they need at least 2-3 weeks to collate all the information and take decisions. This implies that most interviews should have been conducted by the last week of November; which further implies that most invites need to go out in the 2nd-3rd week of December so applicants can schedule interviews within 2 weeks. Ergo, bulk invites go out this week and next.

Of course, the tragedy with Stanford is that even if you don't get invited by 3rd week of November, you will still be hanging on with a sliver of hope till 1st week of December!

Never have I realized the extent of the importance of closure as now.


I'm a current MBA1, and I remember how hard the waiting was last year. However, interview invites do come out until very close to the end. I got my interview invite 2 weeks before the notification date, had my interview 3 days later, and was accepted a week and a half later. I think I submitted my application about an hour and a half before the deadline.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Banker in Mumbai
Joined: 24 Apr 2011
Posts: 144
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 8

Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2011, 00:35
ukapp2010 wrote:
shekmba wrote:
We can safely expect a bulk of the invites to go out in the next 5-10 days. They need to release the decisions by the 16th (if I remember correctly) and they need at least 2-3 weeks to collate all the information and take decisions. This implies that most interviews should have been conducted by the last week of November; which further implies that most invites need to go out in the 2nd-3rd week of December so applicants can schedule interviews within 2 weeks. Ergo, bulk invites go out this week and next.

Of course, the tragedy with Stanford is that even if you don't get invited by 3rd week of November, you will still be hanging on with a sliver of hope till 1st week of December!

Never have I realized the extent of the importance of closure as now.


I'm a current MBA1, and I remember how hard the waiting was last year. However, interview invites do come out until very close to the end. I got my interview invite 2 weeks before the notification date, had my interview 3 days later, and was accepted a week and a half later. I think I submitted my application about an hour and a half before the deadline.


Thanks ukapp2010, that helps to keep my hopes up. Only worry for me is that if the invite does come in close to deadline, will I be able to schedule an alumnus interview so soon.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Oct 2011
Posts: 139
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Kellogg '14 (A)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 12

Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2011, 00:43
ukapp2010 wrote:
I'm a current MBA1, and I remember how hard the waiting was last year. However, interview invites do come out until very close to the end. I got my interview invite 2 weeks before the notification date, had my interview 3 days later, and was accepted a week and a half later. I think I submitted my application about an hour and a half before the deadline.


Thanks for the reply ukapp2010. However, after my HBS debacle, I am not too hopeful of a Stan call. Do you find people from unconventional backgrounds like Agribusiness in your class?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Oct 2011
Posts: 32
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2011, 10:39
Guys any further invites reported today? The wait is so painful!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Oct 2011
Posts: 6
Location: United States
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
Schools: HBS '14 (S)
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V43
GPA: 3.83
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2011, 14:54
I'm with you...somebody say something. This stressful waiting is starting to get to me...
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Sep 2009
Posts: 148
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2011, 15:16
Congratulations! You can go through the interview tips written by a Stanford and McKinsey alum.
http://www.interviewbay.com/interview_t ... w-tips.php

Good luck with your interview! Share your experience.

Irukandji504 wrote:
Just got my invite!! Very excited!!!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Nov 2011
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2011, 17:40
Still have not heard anything from gsb. Should my hope be fading away by now? Or is it still early?

Posted from my mobile device Image
5 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Oct 2011
Posts: 11
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GRE 1: 1460 Q790 V640
GPA: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [5] , given: 1

Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2011, 03:45
5
This post received
KUDOS
Hey all,

I had my stanford interview yesterday. The alumni was very friendly and joked around a lot, and we instantly established good rapport (probably a function of his nationality as well as being the Stanford type). It was scheduled to last an hour but I think it was longer than that.

He came in with a bound document from Stanford that was maybe around 20 pages, and he said we could begin by finding the more interesting questions. He explained that afterwards, within 48 hours, he had to write a report on the interview back to stanford. Then if I got in he would be the one to call me.

There were questions per category, as you would expect. We skipped "why mba, why stanford, etc." He asked me about a situation where I showed initiative, led a team, influenced a group of people, etc. He took copious notes as I spoke.

He said he really liked my answers and made some jokes about bosses, difficult colleagues, etc. He then jokingly said we should find more difficult questions since I was answering them all so well, and asked me about the most challenging work situation I'd been in and what I did; since I appeared to be the overachieving type, when had I run into serious obstacles in my life; and what was my proudest moment. Basically we were having a jovial conversation throughout.

He then said I could ask him questions, and we talked about his career expectations when going into business school and whether they had changed, if he'd have been able to pursue the same career (he is a CFO now) without an mba, how he'd leveraged his alumni network afterwards, and what he took as most valuable from the stanford program. We also talked about why he'd chosen stanford and what he thought was the best value added from going there vs elsewhere. For each answer he would give me an example to illustrate, which was a nice touch.

I felt it went really well, although there was one question where I rambled for a moment and he had to gude me back. Overall I left feeling good about the experience. He said he was sure we'd be in touch again, which gave me confidence.

Hope this helps, and good luck to everyone!
Director
Director
User avatar
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Posts: 736
Schools: Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 4

Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2011, 04:35
consultantcat wrote:

He said he was sure we'd be in touch again..



Positive sign, I must say :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Oct 2011
Posts: 3
Location: United States
Schools: Sloan '14 (S)
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.66
WE: General Management (Retail)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2011, 06:45
@consultantcat: i think it's not too soon when i say congrats! thank you for the run down as it will certainly help us -- even tho i have not heard back from stanford. good luck everyone!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Nov 2011
Posts: 68
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2011, 07:52
what's up with stan invites. app day was the same as booth and we haven't heard many stan invites thus far
Haas Thread Master
User avatar
Joined: 23 Aug 2010
Posts: 214
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.3
WE: Design (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 34

Reviews Badge
Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2011, 09:15
consultantcat wrote:
Hey all,

I had my stanford interview yesterday. The alumni was very friendly and joked around a lot, and we instantly established good rapport (probably a function of his nationality as well as being the Stanford type). It was scheduled to last an hour but I think it was longer than that.

He came in with a bound document from Stanford that was maybe around 20 pages, and he said we could begin by finding the more interesting questions. He explained that afterwards, within 48 hours, he had to write a report on the interview back to stanford. Then if I got in he would be the one to call me.

There were questions per category, as you would expect. We skipped "why mba, why stanford, etc." He asked me about a situation where I showed initiative, led a team, influenced a group of people, etc. He took copious notes as I spoke.

He said he really liked my answers and made some jokes about bosses, difficult colleagues, etc. He then jokingly said we should find more difficult questions since I was answering them all so well, and asked me about the most challenging work situation I'd been in and what I did; since I appeared to be the overachieving type, when had I run into serious obstacles in my life; and what was my proudest moment. Basically we were having a jovial conversation throughout.

He then said I could ask him questions, and we talked about his career expectations when going into business school and whether they had changed, if he'd have been able to pursue the same career (he is a CFO now) without an mba, how he'd leveraged his alumni network afterwards, and what he took as most valuable from the stanford program. We also talked about why he'd chosen stanford and what he thought was the best value added from going there vs elsewhere. For each answer he would give me an example to illustrate, which was a nice touch.

I felt it went really well, although there was one question where I rambled for a moment and he had to gude me back. Overall I left feeling good about the experience. He said he was sure we'd be in touch again, which gave me confidence.

Hope this helps, and good luck to everyone!


Thanks a lot for sharing your experience.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Oct 2011
Posts: 6
Location: United States
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
Schools: HBS '14 (S)
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V43
GPA: 3.83
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2011, 14:45
Anyone hear anything the last couple days? Any interviews or dings? Anything on other forums?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Oct 2011
Posts: 27
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.9
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2011, 15:59
I just went back onto Stanford's website and it says they expect to interview btw 900 and 1,000 applicants during the year. So it would seem like there's still a big chunk of invitations to come for Round 1 yet.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2011
Posts: 3
Location: United States
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2011, 21:46
I applied in the 1st round. I have changed jobs after submitting the application, to move closer to the post-MBA goals I stated. Should I write to the adcom updating them on this? Would it have an effect on my status? Or should I just let it be?
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jun 2011
Posts: 35
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.61
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 4

Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2011, 09:11
kirthik1 wrote:
I applied in the 1st round. I have changed jobs after submitting the application, to move closer to the post-MBA goals I stated. Should I write to the adcom updating them on this? Would it have an effect on my status? Or should I just let it be?


I'm pretty sure that Stanford (as with all the other top schools) ignores anything you send them after the deadline. You should instead focus on how your job change will impact your interview responses and how to craft your R2 applications.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Current Student
Joined: 24 Aug 2010
Posts: 1346
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 98

Kudos [?]: 401 [1] , given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2011, 09:23
1
This post received
KUDOS
kirthik1 wrote:
I applied in the 1st round. I have changed jobs after submitting the application, to move closer to the post-MBA goals I stated. Should I write to the adcom updating them on this? Would it have an effect on my status? Or should I just let it be?


It depends on the school. Some schools will take updates while others will not. Email the admissions office and ask them if they will take the update. That's the only way you'll know for sure.
_________________

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com
Image

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Oct 2010
Posts: 94
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 5

Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2011, 09:49
kirthik1 wrote:
I applied in the 1st round. I have changed jobs after submitting the application, to move closer to the post-MBA goals I stated. Should I write to the adcom updating them on this? Would it have an effect on my status? Or should I just let it be?


What is the general feel of changing jobs around this time around here?

Assuming you have applied to the MBA program, and you get in - should one change jobs with the intent of just working for 7 months in the new company?
Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 14 Nov 2011, 09:49
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
114 Experts publish their posts in the topic Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants whiplash2411 921 06 Jun 2011, 12:13
424 Experts publish their posts in the topic Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants losttraveler 3404 02 May 2011, 21:22
174 Experts publish their posts in the topic Wharton 2012 - Calling All Applicants mpg2011 2335 30 Apr 2011, 12:40
17 Experts publish their posts in the topic IMD 2012 - Calling All Applicants birdy76 254 03 Feb 2011, 18:46
50 INSEAD 2012 - Calling All Applicants boeinz 1555 18 Dec 2010, 08:51
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  7   8   9   10   11   12   13  ...  47    Next  [ 922 posts ] 

Moderators: DefyingGravity, missxmelon



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.