Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 04:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2012, 20:45
with another week gone...I guess its goodbye Stanford for me
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.54
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2012, 12:24
Yeah I've pretty much resigned myself to a ding a Stanford. On the plus side, that's one less school to be nervous about.

My blog: http://www.theapplicationist.blogspot.com/
My application status: 2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595.html#p983273

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2012, 13:40
Just a random question:

Does interview length matter / or correlate with acceptance rates?
I read from admissions consultants' blogs that longer interviews --> better sign??

Can anyone admitted tell me if this is true?
Intern
Intern

Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2012, 17:50
Honestly i think you are trying to connect dots that don't exist. I do not think there are any patterns at all. Is like how some people who get interviewed get denied and some who never receive an interview get wait-listed. Trying to predict the semi-impossible is only going to waste your time.

And according to stanford the interview is not the deciding factor so once again doing great on the interview can still lead to a denial. it sad because if they know that u even after a great interview they are prob not gonna let u in..why even give u one...i mean, thats a waste of the applicants time and money in my opinion.

Oh well all we have to do is wait for next week. i'm almost sure they are done with interviews...they are prob making the final decisions this week
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2012, 00:26
I have seen earlier posts which said that interview invites go out up until one week before the decision date, that'd be over the next two days. Is this true for all rounds? Just a way to console us poor mortals :) Also how many applicants typically get waitlisted without interview per round. Once again, just to keep up the spirit ;)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
WE: Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2012, 01:33
samrat1811 wrote:
I have seen earlier posts which said that interview invites go out up until one week before the decision date, that'd be over the next two days. Is this true for all rounds? Just a way to console us poor mortals :) Also how many applicants typically get waitlisted without interview per round. Once again, just to keep up the spirit ;)

The only pattern with Stanford admissions is that there is no pattern.
Intern
Intern

Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2012, 02:04
Yes no pattern at all...

I'm not too sure there will be interviews anymore...unless they are by phone....because they have to give u time to schedule and meet with an interviewer. Also the interviewer needs to be able to get back to stanford... im not sure a week is enough time especially since they will be finalizing the decisions sometime later this week all the way to monday.
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 96

Kudos [?]: 399 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2012, 03:06
MBAorLust wrote:
Yes no pattern at all...

I'm not too sure there will be interviews anymore...unless they are by phone....because they have to give u time to schedule and meet with an interviewer. Also the interviewer needs to be able to get back to stanford... im not sure a week is enough time especially since they will be finalizing the decisions sometime later this week all the way to monday.

It's easier to schedule an interview (at least it should be) with an alum in your area than it would be to buy a flight and interview on campus with adcom/student (which Stanford doesn't do). I'm sure if there were any last minute invites, Stanford could get it turned around in the time it needs.

With that being said, I wouldn't hold my breath for a last minute invite at this point. But if it did happen, I wouldn't complain at all.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Intern
Intern

Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2012, 04:22
Yeah i think no one would complain about a last min interview.

The issue is that I think it scheduling an interview date with an alum is not that easy..that's why Stanford gives u about a week to schedule an interview and get back to them so i do not think that would be possible this week..

I do not know if this has been asked b4 but what percentage of those interviewed get accepted?
Also I think like 5-8 got interviews in R2 (in this forum), is that usual? i know gmatclub is definitely not representative of the entire population but i was just wondering.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.54
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2012, 04:39
Have you received an interview invite? I actually can't tell from your post. If you haven't, then chances are you won't have to worry about any of this.

Posted from my mobile device Image

My blog: http://www.theapplicationist.blogspot.com/
My application status: 2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595.html#p983273

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 1

Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2012, 09:01
This post received
KUDOS
binah1208 wrote:
is it possible to get interview invitation or acceptance letter after the decision day?

Honestly, I think if we put as much effort into our post-MBA goal as in the MBA application, we will succeed even without an MBA.

In my application, I stated that entrepreneurship was my long-term goal. But I can't help asking myself "Why not invest the tuition fee in my own start-up instead?" To some extent, an MBA is just an excuse to procrastinate.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, International Business
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2012, 09:58
axolotl wrote:
binah1208 wrote:
is it possible to get interview invitation or acceptance letter after the decision day?

Honestly, I think if we put as much effort into our post-MBA goal as in the MBA application, we will succeed even without an MBA.

In my application, I stated that entrepreneurship was my long-term goal. But I can't help asking myself "Why not invest the tuition fee in my own start-up instead?" To some extent, an MBA is just an excuse to procrastinate.

I don't agree totally, even for entrepreneurship an MBA is a formidable opportunity to put your ideas to test, to improve them, find business partners, and get access to an alumni network that would be very helpful. It also makes the process of finding investors much easier.

In the meantime I agree that it is not mandatory to succeed!
VP
VP

Premium Member
Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2012, 10:53
binah1208 wrote:

No. The decision day is the just that. The day you will get a final decision (admit/deny/waitlist).

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2012, 10:59
YoungSnake wrote:
axolotl wrote:
binah1208 wrote:

I don't agree totally, even for entrepreneurship an MBA is a formidable opportunity to put your ideas to test, to improve them, find business partners, and get access to an alumni network that would be very helpful. It also makes the process of finding investors much easier.

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying that an MBA is useless for entrepreneurship. Otherwise I would not have applied.

I'd be really happy if I could get in Stanford. Apart from the staff, curriculum, student network, etc, its geographical location is a huge plus. I could only imagine how it would feel to be surrounded by entrepreneurial people and constantly exposed to new and crazy ideas.

On the other hand, although there is nothing in the Netherlands (or Continental Europe for this matter) comparable to the Silicon Valley, there are still many successful IT start-ups. So why not try my best to succeed in the NL instead of bewailing my unsuccessful application and hoping it would turn out better next year?

I admit that there might be some sour-grapes element. And BTW, if there's someone here who wants to start some IT business in the Silicon Valley and wants a partner, please consider me. If you're single male, you may marry me to help me get a visa :) (A Dutch passport is only good for tourist purposes in the US.) Meanwhile, I will try and see how far I can go in the NL. Business ideas I do have.
VP
VP

Premium Member
Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2012, 11:10
axolotl wrote:
YoungSnake wrote:
axolotl wrote:

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying that an MBA is useless for entrepreneurship. Otherwise I would not have applied.

I'd be really happy if I could get in Stanford. Apart from the staff, curriculum, student network, etc, its geographical location is a huge plus. I could only imagine how it would feel to be surrounded by entrepreneurial people and constantly exposed to new and crazy ideas.

On the other hand, although there is nothing in the Netherlands (or Continental Europe for this matter) comparable to the Silicon Valley, there are still many successful IT start-ups. So why not try my best to succeed in the NL instead of bewailing my unsuccessful application and hoping it would turn out better next year?

I admit that there might be some sour-grapes element. And BTW, if there's someone here who wants to start some IT business in the Silicon Valley and wants a partner, please consider me. If you're single male, you may marry me to help me get a visa :) (A Dutch passport is only good for tourist purposes in the US.) Meanwhile, I will try and see how far I can go in the NL. Business ideas I do have.

Best comment I have EVER read on this particular thread. Awesome plan!

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: War veteran & gallantry award winner.
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.81
WE: Other (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 6

Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2012, 12:17
Keep up the spirit guys n gals :)

@cheetarah
As a side note, I would love to have u as a fellow student in the B school that I finally attend. Have been reading ur posts on many threads and love ur positive spirit and the time and effort u take in answering queries of people u don't know at all.

Would love to be in the same cohort coz I kow that u would be an awesome team worker for sure!!!!

Sam
Manager
Manager

Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2012, 12:27
axolotl wrote:

You have a valid point, if you have the ideas and the guts to do it you obviously can be successful without the MBA!
And what about Wharton, would you not go if admitted ? because if you would, try to stay hopeful for 11 more days and you may not have to think about back-up plans :)

As for you plan to get a US partner / husband, I think you should post the offer in this thread, you'll probably find a taker ;) : odds-of-meeting-your-spouse-at-mba-73618.html
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 1

Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2012, 12:43
This post received
KUDOS
YoungSnake wrote:
You have a valid point, if you have the ideas and the guts to do it you obviously can be successful without the MBA!
And what about Wharton, would you not go if admitted ? because if you would, try to stay hopeful for 11 more days and you may not have to think about back-up plans :)

I think I would go if admitted by Wharton. Guts are what I need. I do have a good salary and a mortgage. So the opportunity cost of starting my own business is substantial. But, the opportunity cost will only get higher and higher if I don't start now. I have but one life and it's better to do what I really want to do than to have so many regrets on my death bed.

YoungSnake wrote:
As for you plan to get a US partner / husband, I think you should post the offer in this thread, you'll probably find a taker ;) : odds-of-meeting-your-spouse-at-mba-73618.html

Haha. Thanks for the suggestion. I would use marriage only as a means to get a visa and start a company in the US. I am not looking for a relationship right now.

Ironically, I am principally against marriage as an institution. I believe it should be privatized.
Manager
Manager

Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2012, 15:39
axolotl wrote:
Haha. Thanks for the suggestion. I would use marriage only as a means to get a visa and start a company in the US. I am not looking for a relationship right now.

Ironically, I am principally against marriage as an institution. I believe it should be privatized.

Now that you unveiled your plan, it will be harder to lure someone :)

Good luck for Wharton! I hope we'll receive good news on that front next week!
VP
VP

Premium Member
Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2012, 17:22
tgtivyleague wrote:
Keep up the spirit guys n gals :)

@cheetarah
As a side note, I would love to have u as a fellow student in the B school that I finally attend. Have been reading ur posts on many threads and love ur positive spirit and the time and effort u take in answering queries of people u don't know at all.

Would love to be in the same cohort coz I kow that u would be an awesome team worker for sure!!!!

Sam

Aww, thank you Sam! That's really nice of you to say. I appreciate your calming influence in the Booth thread. Even if Stanford doesn't like us, it seems we have some other schools in common that might. Who knows, we may indeed wind up classmates :-)

Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 19 Mar 2012, 17:22