Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 03:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 98

Kudos [?]: 401 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2012, 21:13
Gone4it wrote:

Exactly. The argument isn't about whether they live up to their promises, it's about a better process than what we have. I absolutely agree with the a need for greater transparency, although I can't say there's a school which has been perfect in this process. Look at Harvard's ability to "release" applicants within 35 days of receiving such a high volume of applicants. I have the distinct feeling HBS ditches so many people because they kick out the applicants which don't meet their "list"...not from a top 25 undergrad - OUT...not from investment banking or consulting - OUT...etc. I don't believe for one moment HBS is capable of thoroughly evaluating every applicant's credentials, which is HOW they are able to kick out so many applicants so quickly.

Now, I like to pretend Stanford & MIT are more thorough with their evaluations which is WHY they don't have a mid-decision date. Personally, I'd rather someone (or multiple people) take real time to evaluate my application instead of kicking me out for some arbitrary reason such as which undergrad I selected 16 years ago. That being said, there is a moment every applicant has a final review and a decision is made to either interview, waitlist or reject. There is NO reason a school can't do the simple courtesy of notifying the candidate if the application has been rejected. The $265 fee should be plenty to cover the cost of someone going into the system with the daily/weekly rejects and clicking the box in the system to send the auto-denial letter. There is no reason to keep applicants waiting unnecessarily when decisions have already been made.

In my opinion, there are two things which would improve the Stanford process. 1) the above...notify candidates as soon as there's no more hope 2) interview more candidates. Since Stanford uses Alumni interviews (which likely costs them nothing), there's NO reason getting an interview from Stanford should be harder than getting accepted by many other schools. Why not interview more students and hear their stories 1st hand? You might be surprised what you find out there...

Really? You want Stanford to send dings throughout the process? Can you imagine waking up everyday for two months with the possibility that a status update notification that will lead to a ding could be sitting in your email? I know what that's like and for a real example go check out the Kellogg thread posts this week. Kellogg releases admits/WL/dings throughout the week and people go crazy while praying for the call/admit email that could come just as easily as the ding. It's miserable. I'm glad Stanford doesn't do that.

We say a mid decision day doesn't give the adcom enough time to truly go through the holistic process. However, I don't think we could handle random dings any better than not knowing for sure. None of these situations are easy on us. I think if Stanford did as you're suggesting there would be just as much uproar, if not more, as there is right now.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.54
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 1

Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2012, 21:58
Exactly, Cheetarah. Really, I'd want exactly what Wharton and Harvard have - waves of invitations going out and a firm end date. I wrote myself off of Stanford's invite list when I came back from my vacation last week, but it could have saved me three weeks of nerves/anxiety to just know ahead of time. Still, it is what it is.

My blog: http://www.theapplicationist.blogspot.com/
My application status: 2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595.html#p983273

Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q46 V46
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.51
WE: Performing Arts (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2012, 02:09
artistanbul wrote:
LadyRoadWarrior wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:
For all we know Stanford spreads the printed applications on its vast lawn and has a goat select which apps it likes. Maybe we were the unlucky ones and the Stanny goat didn't eat our apps. Meh, oh well.

Now the UCLA thing is just brutal. What's the point of a mid decision release date if you don't release the person you're not inviting?! That's just a mind f#$% right there.

Attn: Stanny Goat
Please eat my app
xoxo,
LRW

Hilarious.

I do agree that there should be a uniform process that all the schools adhere to, as far as timing or dates. But then they wouldn't get to hog certain dates or have preference in order as films do when jockeying for certain opening weekends. In truth, it's a market that they make, so we the "customers" don't really have any leverage in this process. It's not like we're going to stop applying to these schools and all go to U of Phoenix.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q46 V46
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.51
WE: Performing Arts (Entertainment and Sports)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2012, 02:12
I think I'm the only person who thinks that Stanford is forthright about their process up front. I knew that if I didn't receive an invite by last week that it was probably not going to happen at Stanford. We all went into this application knowing that they do not have a mid decision release date. Do I prefer that method to Stanford's. Maybe? It does put people out of their misery sooner. But we're all insightful individuals and should be able to read the writing on the wall. Stanford interviews all admitted candidates (by invitation only). It's less than a week from the final decision day and we haven't been invited to interview. Therefore, we haven't been admitted. Does it suck? Yes, because rejection always sucks. However, I don't feel that Stanford has promised us any more info than what they've provided. They've stuck to what they said they would do. We signed up for this when we forked over $265 and hit submit.

Besides, who needs palm trees anyways ;-)[/quote]

Cheets,
I am not saying that they have stabbed us in the back by saying they will give us a decision and they didn't! I agree we signed the dotted line knowing that there is no mid-decision date but why cannot there be one? It helps give a closure to a person.

Besides, why did u assume that ur chances are there till the last week? Because someone last year got one, right? It's not that Stanford told u about it! So why can't they be forthright about the day by which they have read ALL the applications and done the initial sifting and selected the interviewees? Why give this agony till the last day.

Btw: I know of a fellow applicant who got an admit from UCLA by getting an interview invite ONLY three days before the final deadline - end Jan!! and that too when he/she had not heard anything from them on the mid-interview decision date deadline (mid Dec)! Beat that :)

Palm trees ..... Hmmmmmmm[/quote]

I get what you're saying. I figured that last week would be the end of invites because the email they sent after I submitted said they would send invites up to a week before the decision day. I didn't look through last year's thread to see when the last invite went out.

Yes I do think a mid decision day is more humane. But look at the Booth thread. There was a bunch of weeping and gnashing of teeth over that one too and it was spelled out pretty clearly when we would know by. Feb. 15 was the release date and people were asking to be put out of their misery if they weren't invited after the first 2 days. I don't think anything short of instant acceptance would satisfy people. You combine ambition with insecurity and nerves and that's pretty much your average MBA applicant. Just trying to put it into a different perspective. Besides Stanford is such a black box that any application is like a hail Mary pass. People who we think should be shoo-ins to get in don't even get interviewed while others who do get the coveted acceptance make us scratch our heads and say WTF. For all we know Stanford spreads the printed applications on its vast lawn and has a goat select which apps it likes. Maybe we were the unlucky ones and the Stanny goat didn't eat our apps. Meh, oh well.

Now the UCLA thing is just brutal. What's the point of a mid decision release date if you don't release the person you're not inviting?! That's just a mind f#$% right there.[/quote]

For real about UCLA-
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 36

Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2012, 05:24
This was one of the GSB show skits, but for what I know I think it carries a lot of truth - the stanford students I know do have a "Magic Power" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km64htwAmQ0

Given that insight, what do you consider your own magic power (whether you got an interview or not). No need to share stats or job titles or employers. What have you communicated through your essays as your special strength?

Example: One person I know who got in was improving athletes - making a sports league team better. Another was at the heart of the bailout debackles, he had a great insight into modern "rescue" finance.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Tips: best-app-tips-77803-80.html#p610423
GMAT experience: gmat-710-q47-v41-what-worked-and-what-didn-t-81055.html#p608295
Telling your story: storytelling-82064.html#p615567
Other MBA women: calling-all-female-mba-applicants-84636.html
GMATClub interview practice groups: gmatclub-interview-groups-85902.html#p643929

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2012, 10:16
MBAgirl2010 wrote:
This was one of the GSB show skits, but for what I know I think it carries a lot of truth - the stanford students I know do have a "Magic Power" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km64htwAmQ0

Given that insight, what do you consider your own magic power (whether you got an interview or not). No need to share stats or job titles or employers. What have you communicated through your essays as your special strength?

Example: One person I know who got in was improving athletes - making a sports league team better. Another was at the heart of the bailout debackles, he had a great insight into modern "rescue" finance.

That video was actually hilarious
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 36

Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 06:18
MBAorLust wrote:
MBAgirl2010 wrote:

Here is another one (more about magic powers). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4gtbIhONn4

Tips: best-app-tips-77803-80.html#p610423
GMAT experience: gmat-710-q47-v41-what-worked-and-what-didn-t-81055.html#p608295
Telling your story: storytelling-82064.html#p615567
Other MBA women: calling-all-female-mba-applicants-84636.html
GMATClub interview practice groups: gmatclub-interview-groups-85902.html#p643929

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 07:01
MBAgirl2010 wrote:
MBAorLust wrote:
MBAgirl2010 wrote:

I saw that too...i think i watched 5 videos from that account..."You just have to add some color!!" lol

Here is another one (more about magic powers). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4gtbIhONn4
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.4

Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 07:49
no interview means a we are ala expecting a ding...or is there a wait list possibility on the 28th??
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
WE: Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 1

Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 08:15
This post received
KUDOS
I think it's time to stop being optimistic and start being realistic.

Actually, it already was so one week ago.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 26

Reviews Badge
Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 08:19
axolotl wrote:

Agreed
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GPA: 3
WE: Design (Consumer Electronics)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 08:42
axolotl wrote:

What?

I am still optimistic...
For next year, that is.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 08:45
I've been thinking about what I could have bought with the $265 for the last couple of weeks....
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q V
GPA: 3.7

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 09:23
cheetarah1980 wrote:
Really? You want Stanford to send dings throughout the process? Can you imagine waking up everyday for two months with the possibility that a status update notification that will lead to a ding could be sitting in your email?...

Actually, yes. I'd far prefer the fact it could happen at any time. If it could happen at any time, then there's no sense in worrying about it every single day. Sort of like our own mortality. Plus, the prompt answers mean I would not have to paralyze my career and life for months waiting on an answer I could've gotten far earlier.
VP
VP

Premium Member
Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 09:50
gmatmba1 wrote:
I've been thinking about what I could have bought with the $265 for the last couple of weeks....

You could've bought ME a very cute pair of shoes. How selfish of you for donating that money to Stanford.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.54
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 1

Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 11:08
cheetarah1980 wrote:
gmatmba1 wrote:

You could've bought ME a very cute pair of shoes. How selfish of you for donating that money to Stanford.

Now now, Cheetarah, you need to recognize that the $265 is a social good. It pays for the all of the time that the Stanford AdComs take to ding virtually every applicant. How shortsighted of you to have missed the benefit we gained from his contribution!

My blog: http://www.theapplicationist.blogspot.com/
My application status: 2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595.html#p983273

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GMAT 2: Q V0
GPA: 3.66
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 58

Premium Member
Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 11:12
hello212 wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:
gmatmba1 wrote:

Now now, Cheetarah, you need to recognize that the $265 is a social good. It pays for the all of the time that the Stanford AdComs take to ding virtually every applicant. How shortsighted of you to have missed the benefit we gained from his contribution!

Guys, clearly the fees go to ensuring that the Stanny goat lives a life of luxury.... that ish ain't cheap!

GMAT Story http://gmatclub.com/forum/100-point-improvements-they-are-possible-124223.html
Profile/School Status http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-40.html#p1028789

VP
VP

Premium Member
Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 12:33
LadyRoadWarrior wrote:
hello212 wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:

Guys, clearly the fees go to ensuring that the Stanny goat lives a life of luxury.... that ish ain't cheap!

Oh well if the money is for the Stanny goat, then that's totally different. Gotta keep that goat living lavish.

Stanny goat please eat my app!

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: War veteran & gallantry award winner.
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.81
WE: Other (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 6

Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 12:57
I just realised that each of my five schools has a different colour code to it :) Talk about rainbows!!!!

But that is going to change tomorrow in all probability! Hope that Darden follows the Booth way rather than Wharton or HBS ...........

Sam
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.4

Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 15:10
Can we expect a waitlist if we were not invited to interview??
Re: Stanford 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 26 Mar 2012, 15:10