Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 17:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Tepper applicants for 2008

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Tepper applicants for 2008 [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2008, 14:50
I would just email them, i was unable to get anybody through the telephone # they provided in the email, but after i sent an email i got a response with a few hours.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tepper applicants for 2008 [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2008, 15:12
I thought I would post this for R2ers who got interview invites. There isn't anything to worry about. The questions are standard why MBA, why Tepper, goals, weaknesses, strengths... The interview is conducted in a very informal and conversational manner. Good luck to all of you!!
Manager
Manager
Schools: University of Michigan - Ross 2010

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

R3 at Tepper vs other R3s. [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2008, 13:50
Hi guys,

Most schools have 2 rounds and a 3rd "death round". Tepper seems to have 3 rounds plus a 4th "death round". Or maybe R3 here is the same with other "death rounds" but just communicated differently.

Do you have any idea whether a Tepper R3 is as bad as, say a Ross R3?

I am trying to make up my mind about whether to apply this year for R3 or next year R1... Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Manylander
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tepper applicants for 2008 [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2008, 02:57
This post received
KUDOS
manylander, I think getting an admit in Tepper R3 will be hard. You have to take into account Tepper's small class size of only 150-160 students. They will most likely be looking to add to the diversity of the class in R3, which is also the last round for international applicants.
With the above said, however, a strong profile remains a strong profile in any round and if you have one, I wouldn't worry. Apply whenever you like. :-D.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Tepper applicants for 2008 [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2008, 07:07
Clobo, are you from Tepper adcom? :wink:

That is nearly "exactly" what they said. Even used the "strong profile" phrase twice in the last e-mail...

Regardless, thank you for sharing your take, I appreciate it.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Tepper applicants for 2008 [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2008, 07:33
This post received
KUDOS
thunderdogg wrote:
I would just email them, i was unable to get anybody through the telephone # they provided in the email, but after i sent an email i got a response with a few hours.

Success. I've got an interview scheduled for 2 weeks from now!
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Tepper applicants for 2008 [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2008, 10:58
any rd2 interviews happen yet? i know we've seen some rd1 advice, i was wondering if anybody had gone through in rd2 yet.

I've got mine this tuesday.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tepper applicants for 2008 [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2008, 17:28
Shhhh... I am undercover. LOL! If I were, all of you would be admitted.

manylander wrote:
Clobo, are you from Tepper adcom? :wink:

That is nearly "exactly" what they said. Even used the "strong profile" phrase twice in the last e-mail...

Regardless, thank you for sharing your take, I appreciate it.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Tepper applicants for 2008 [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2008, 13:19
just had my RD2 interview today and it was pretty straight forward. It was also very conversational, which was nice, it wasn't stressful at all. I did it on campus and the tour and students were all extremely nice and welcoming. I see Pittsburgh in a new light. Good luck to everybody else out there.

Question for the RD1 folks, did CMU respond with a accept / ding / wl before the final deadline, or should i anticipate waiting until march to find out?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tepper applicants for 2008 [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2008, 16:54
I got my decision on the 20th of December, while the official deadline was the 21st of December. CMU won't give out decisions earlier so don't count on getting one anytime prior to a few days before D-Day. CMU sends out all decisions at the same time via e-mail so no harrowing waits a la Ross.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Tepper applicants for 2008 [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2008, 12:36
Latest on R2. Updates are welcome!

vij101 - Submitted
wisepig - Submitted - interviewed
thunderdogg - Submitted - interviewed
redhead - Submitted
manylander - Submitted - invited to interview
faceoffking6160 - Submitted - interviewed

Last edited by manylander on 15 Feb 2008, 14:09, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Tepper applicants for 2008 [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2008, 13:23
This post received
KUDOS
Good luck! If you're going to do an on campus interview and plan on flying into the pittsburgh airport, the public transit system is fantastic. You can get from the airport to CMU for $2.60 and vice versa on the 28X airport shuttle.

I also recommend staying at the Hampton Inn university center, they offered a shuttle to and from the CMU campus very very frequently.

If you're going to do a phone one, then all my info is irrelevant. :-D
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Tepper applicants for 2008 [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2008, 14:12
It'll be on-campus and your advice is golden. I'll be saving from the rental car cost... That is if I can schedule my interview! Could not get through today. Will try again on Monday...

BTW,

If any of you R1 or R2 guys can share some more about the questions asked, whether it was an adcom member or a 2nd year student,etc. I will greatly appreciate it...

manylander
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tepper applicants for 2008 [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2008, 06:54
I did mine on campus with adcom. All interviews in CMU are done by adcom...not 2nd year students.

The interview will be extremely casual....general questions on your goals, why CMU , how you will contribute etc.

Let me know if you need more details.

manylander wrote:
It'll be on-campus and your advice is golden. I'll be saving from the rental car cost... That is if I can schedule my interview! Could not get through today. Will try again on Monday...

BTW,

If any of you R1 or R2 guys can share some more about the questions asked, whether it was an adcom member or a 2nd year student,etc. I will greatly appreciate it...

manylander

http://mba2010dreams.blogspot.com

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Tepper applicants for 2008 [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2008, 16:12
This post received
KUDOS
My interview at Tepper (on campus, with James Frick) was really comfortable. James was incredibly friendly and really good at being positive and complimentary while also remaining fairly conversational. It was my first B-school interview, so I was pretty nervous.

Mostly, he asked the standard questions: Walk me through your resume, why an MBA, why Tepper, why now, short and long term career goals. Some of the other questions he asked me (paraphrasing, as it's been a while): What leadership qualities are most important? What's your biggest weakness? How do you handle stress? What's your leadership style? What do you do for fun?

Check out the list of questions on accepted.com's interview database, as they were right on. I wasn't asked a single question that wasn't on the list I compiled from that site.

I got in with a full ride scholarship, and in retrospect, I think there are a few reasons. Beyond stats and work experience and such, I think I showed a real passion for the school. I attached a class visit, tour, and lunch with my interview, and did those just before the interview itself. It gave me time to see the school, talk to a lot of students (I grilled our tour guide), and really get myself extra excited about the school prior to the interview. By the time lunch finished and my interview rolled around, I had already talked to one student about helping him out on a business idea he had that involved my current industry, which made for a great conversational anecdote in the interview. I definitely recommend doing a class visit and lunch beforehand if you can. When the interviewer asked why Tepper, I had both broad answers (e.g., their managerial science approach to business) as well as specific (e.g., the 8-week exchange program with WHU in Germany, and how that fit some of my specific interests and goals).

In addition, I have the benefit of a friend who went to Tepper undergrad and who lives in Pittsburgh. The night prior to my interview, he took me around the town and showed me the neighborhoods where most students live. That allowed me to talk with my interviewer about Pittsburgh itself, and talk with some amount of familiarity (he seemed impressed that I knew the names of the neighborhoods where I'd be most likely to live). In restrospect, I think my really detailed knowledge of the program and city really helped me to stand out.

Also, as I'm sure you know, Tepper prides itself very much on it's collaborative environment and friendly students. Definitely keep that in mind when you answer questions about leadership, how you'll contribute, and so on--they are definitely looking for those qualities in the interview.

Hope that's helpful! Good luck!
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Tepper applicants for 2008 [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2008, 09:25
Thunderdogg, sperinko,jc2010,

Thank you all for the insights and tips. Your input seriously help my approach to the interview. It is a big plus to know that adcom does the inteview.
Actually that's my preference anyway.

@thunderdogg: Thanks for the continued insights in the PMs. I appreciate it.

@jc2010: Your approach, and its result speak volumes. I will PM you about this and will do my homework in the meantime. I met James Frick here in Chicago, he was very easy going and open. We even had a "friendly" (!) chat about the Bears and the Steelers, which showed me that he was a down to earth guy.

Thanks again (redundant I know, but I need to :lol: )
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tepper applicants for 2008 [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2008, 18:22
I hope you mentioned something nice about the Steelers...James is a big-time Steelers fan...!!!
manylander wrote:
We even had a "friendly" (!) chat about the Bears and the Steelers, which showed me that he was a down to earth guy.

http://mba2010dreams.blogspot.com

Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Tepper applicants for 2008 [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2008, 07:31
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the help and support you've been providing. You guys help make this process much less painful.
Now some news: I just scheduled my interview today. It is on the last day of on campus interviews for R2 : February 25th, Monday. I will have it at 1:30 and heeding jc2010'd advice (thanks!) I also opted to take the whole campus tour/info session thingy.

My question is to those who interviewed on campus : Do any of you guys know an adcom member named Linwood Harris? He is not in last year's adcom photo in the brochure, and this is the first time I am hearing of him. I wonder if he is as friendly as James Frick or Lauren Capone...

Thanks a million!

-manylander-
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tepper applicants for 2008 [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2008, 12:27
manylander, Linwood Harris just started with CMU this year. He was introduced to us when I interviewed in November. He seems very approachable and friendly just like the other Tepper Adcoms.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Tepper applicants for 2008 [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2008, 13:14
Thank you Clobo... I still suspect you are a disguised Tepper adcom member... :-)
Re: Calling all Tepper applicants for 2008   [#permalink] 18 Feb 2008, 13:14