Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 11:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2009, 13:57
Class2012 wrote:
Did anyone get a greeting card from Tepper? Looks like the entire admissions office signed on it.So nice of them.

not yet ... wow ...that must be KOOL ...

I dont know about the other school but tepper is very kool with this stuff .. I loved their 'your in' video.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Fuqua Class 2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2009, 14:50
rao_1857 wrote:
Class2012 wrote:
Did anyone get a greeting card from Tepper? Looks like the entire admissions office signed on it.So nice of them.

I dont know about the other school but tepper is very kool with this stuff .. I loved their 'your in' video.

How many times have you watched the "you're in" video? I think I am on 8 or 9. Quite possibly the coolest thing I have ever seen. I still get chills when I see it. haha
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2009, 15:22
bhy wrote:
rao_1857 wrote:
Class2012 wrote:

How many times have you watched the "you're in" video? I think I am on 8 or 9. Quite possibly the coolest thing I have ever seen. I still get chills when I see it. haha

He he .. same here. I watch it every other day or so . and yes DEFINETELY showing it to all my friends. You know what my first experience with that video was kind of bad. While switching the windows, I missed the first 10-15 secs of it. But now I have watched it so many times that it is on my fingures :-)
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2009, 15:39
HAHA - I did the same thing! It took me a minute to realize I was in.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2009, 13:50
all right let me revive this thread... where are all the R2 applicants.

I dont dont how much we can help but if you have any questions regarding the essays or school itself, please feel free to shoot. We will be more than happy to provide insights.
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2009, 14:02
In the career history section, how much detail did you give for your responsibilities? I am keeping it short (just a couple sentences like for most other b school apps), but I am wondering if it should be more in depth since they give you a page for each job.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2009, 14:27
boogs wrote:
In the career history section, how much detail did you give for your responsibilities? I am keeping it short (just a couple sentences like for most other b school apps), but I am wondering if it should be more in depth since they give you a page for each job.

I just described what I did similar to how I would set up a resume. I also not only highlighted my responsibilities, but also the significant things I did while I was there. Here is an example of one of the responsibilities sections I wrote for one of my old jobs:

"Performed a variety of quality control functional and analytical testing according to cGMP guidelines. Trained new laboratory members in proper assay techniques and laboratory protocols. Created, proposed to management, implemented and managed a new system for the organization and distribution of clinical samples used in kit validation. Assisted in troubleshooting various quality control issues"

Hope this helps, good luck!
Manager
Manager
Schools: Ross (R1-Admit)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2009, 23:42
Hi
In the Tepper first essay did everyone answer why MBA...and if yes in how many words. I also wanted to know how many words are people devoting to Why Tepper? Please answer.
Current Student
Schools: Emory 2012
WE 1: 1 yr proprietary trading
WE 2: 2 yrs global ibank in municipal derivatives
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2010, 01:28
Ari, I can only speak for myself, but I don't think any of these essays are that formulaic. There's no right answer that will say, you should devote 200 words to this, 100 words to that, etc. Just answer their questions well, and get your story across.

The question is really straightforward. What are you goals, and why is a Tepper MBA going to help get you there?

My essay specifically has 378 words about why Tepper is the right place for me. I don't think you should worry about things like this. I didn't choose the length devoted to Tepper ahead of time; I wrote the essay that I thought best answers their question, and that part of my essay happened to be this length.

http://www.mbavolunteers.org - check it out

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2010, 01:31
Thanks LetsGoMets
Thank you for the answer.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2010, 06:56
LetsGoMets wrote:
Ari, I can only speak for myself, but I don't think any of these essays are that formulaic. There's no right answer that will say, you should devote 200 words to this, 100 words to that, etc. Just answer their questions well, and get your story across.

The question is really straightforward. What are you goals, and why is a Tepper MBA going to help get you there?

My essay specifically has 378 words about why Tepper is the right place for me. I don't think you should worry about things like this. I didn't choose the length devoted to Tepper ahead of time; I wrote the essay that I thought best answers their question, and that part of my essay happened to be this length.

Same here .. mine is also around 300 words for why tepper. Just show your enthusiasm and back it up with concrete example on courses, clubs and projects. IMO: why tepper is very important to the school esp because they are very small and they want to make sure you show them your fit.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2010, 09:56
Thanks rao for the answer
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2010, 10:31
Sorry for asking the same question again. But I am still debating on Why MBA part & need some help. In the Tepper first essay, although the prompt doesn't have 'why MBA'... did everyone answer why MBA, and if yes in how many words?

Thanks in advance.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 49 [1] , given: 11

Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2010, 11:22
This post received
KUDOS
Ari, with all due respect, you're asking the same type questions in every forum. Each school has their own essays and they all have to be your story. Most schools want to know why you need an MBA, and CMU is no exception.

Answer the questions the best you can. Tell your story, and don't worry about making your essay fit a specific formula because there isn't one.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2010, 11:24
Ari123 wrote:
Sorry for asking the same question again. But I am still debating on Why MBA part & need some help. In the Tepper first essay, although the prompt doesn't have 'why MBA'... did everyone answer why MBA, and if yes in how many words?

Thanks in advance.

I did.I spent no more than 5 lines for it.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 59 [1] , given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2010, 11:56
This post received
KUDOS
I will be a career switcher .. so to me it was important. I spend close to 100 words on explaining why MBA. and why i cannot achieve my goals without it.
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2010, 12:10
Has anyone applied with a fee waiver? I mailed mine in a few weeks ago, but haven't submitted my app yet. Not sure if I need to do anything special for them to match my waiver with my app once it is submitted.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 11

Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2010, 15:57
I had a fee waiver. It was in an email they sent me this August. The instructions said to email mba admissions with a copy of the fee waiver attached, and also provided a physical address if the fee waiver wasn't electronic. When I sent them an email asking them to confirm receipt of said waiver, I got an auto-generated email saying they were on vacation until 1/4. I plan on following up with them after they're back.

Hope this helps.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2010, 03:02
Any reapplicants to Tepper on this forum? One of the requirements for reapplicants is to send 'An updated resume and work history'. I am wondering if that means just the resume or an additional document highlighting the Employment Record.
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 59 [2] , given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2010, 08:13
This post received
KUDOS
connecticket wrote:
Any reapplicants to Tepper on this forum? One of the requirements for reapplicants is to send 'An updated resume and work history'. I am wondering if that means just the resume or an additional document highlighting the Employment Record.

I am not a reapp... but as I read this ... I think you would need both.

So on you resume.. you have to update what you did during last year:

Company X / Position Y
- new stuff
- new stuff
- old resume stuff from here on [...]

EC
- new EC leadership
- old stuff

and sort of similar approach in work history document.

my 2 cents
Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants   [#permalink] 03 Jan 2010, 08:13