Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Aug 2014, 21:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Tepper Class of 2012
WE 1: Nonprofit
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2010, 05:58
This post received
KUDOS
I visited and interviewed recently. I was really impressed with the program and students. The campus and city aren't bad, either - they just compare unfavorably with where I went to college (Ivy) and live now (East Coast city). The interview was very straightforward, and the admissions staff are warm and friendly. The questions I remember are:

1. Tell me about your academic and professional background.
2. Why an MBA, and why Tepper?
3. What are your short- and long-term professional goals?
4. What role do you play on a team?
5. What is your leadership style, and how would the people you lead characterize you?
6. What do you do for fun?
7. Any questions?

As it was my first b-school interview, there's plenty of room for improvement if I'm fortunate enough to get another. Good luck to those of you waiting to hear about interviews or planning to visit soon!
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 62 [1] , given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2010, 09:40
This post received
KUDOS
gmatmba2010 wrote:
Hi,

I have applied to Tepper in R2 and stumbled upon this forum while preparing for my interview. I did benefit from the interview questions that several members have posted and decided to give back to this community. I had my interview with Lauren Capone and these were the questions she asked me
1. Walk me through your academic and professional life
2. Why MBA Why now
3. Why Tepper
4. What will you contribute to Tepper
5. What are your plans after graduating
6. Any questions for her
The interview lasted 45 minutes.

My profile : 3 years experience in IT , international applicant , 690 GMAT, extracurricular good, Private business experience.

At the end of the interview she said I would be a great fit at Tepper. To all those admitted, I would appreciate if you could say if you heard the same line or something similar. And all those not admitted could you also share if you too did hear the same line. I just want to know if this is something they say to all candidates or she was really impressed with my profile.

Thanks so much
mbagmat2010.

mbagmat2010, I know it is hard to wait for the final decision but unfortunately nobody will be able to confirm anythings from Lauren's remarks. Those were difinetely GREAT remarks and looks like you showed them your love towards Tepper. But at the same time keep in mind that some of the adcoms are very positive in that they dont want to let you down. Long story short, you nailed Tepper and time to jump on to the next school (if you have one in your list). Hanging on to the feedback will only frustrate you ... You difinetely have a good GMT and having good ECs making your applicaiton even more strong.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2010, 20:55
This post received
KUDOS
hookemhorns86 wrote:
Did any of the R1 admits receive an email after the interview saying:

"Just a note to let you know that your application is complete. Decision
emails will be sent out on xxxxx, 2009." ?

I think I did get that email after completing my interview.

-----

# of posts = gmat :-D
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2010, 13:52
This post received
KUDOS
coakleym wrote:
Hmm, I also got it post-interview but I got it from Dana, who had also contacted me for some paperwork earlier. I thought it was only post-IV because of the missing paperwork. Maybe they send out completes post-IV. Now I'm also curious about others' experiences.

I was in the same situation as you, and got the post-interview email from Dana as well.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: CMU, Ross, Kellogg, Case, OSU, Stanford, Kelley

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2010, 13:38
This post received
KUDOS
i have an interview scheduled on 15th Feb on campus..

anybody else coming that day??
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Emory 2012
WE 1: 1 yr proprietary trading
WE 2: 2 yrs global ibank in municipal derivatives
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 49 [1] , given: 11

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2010, 13:57
This post received
KUDOS
I had my phone interview on Wednesday. The questions were very much in line with what people have posted here. I was asked what the weakest part in my application was (which for me is my horrendous undergrad GPA). I said that it was a maturity issue, and a learning experience (both of which are completely true). Admissions committee couldn't be any nicer. Weather made the trip to Pittsburgh very difficult and they accommodated me very well, including conducting an interview on what was a snow day. Really enjoyed talking to them and think it's a great program.

I'll be in Pittsburgh from 2/23-25 for a tour and class visit. If anyone on this board will be there then, I'd be glad to meet up.

Good luck ammin and others who haven't gotten an invite yet. Keep your hopes up. I've been rejected from more schools than I care to talk about, but good things will happen whether it's at CMU or somewhere else.

http://www.mbavolunteers.org - check it out

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Interview Update [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2010, 14:57
This post received
KUDOS
I recently had my interview as well, and just wanted to update everyone as promised. It lasted approx 45 minutes, and the Q's I can remember were:

1. Walk me through your resume
2. What are you long term and short term goals
3. Why Tepper?
4. What makes you unique as an applicant?
5. Outside of work, what do you do for fun?
6. What is the weakest part of your application?

Note on question 6 to all low-GPAers like myself, I had read conflicting advice on whether or not to talk about this in interviews. However, in the face of a direct question such as this, I chose to highlight my low GPA and go over the points I had outlined in the additional essay of my application. my interviewer was well versed with my entire application and my transcript in particular (as opposed to some schools where the interviewer only sees your resume) and was waiting for me to address this (she explicitly said so). A casual conversation ensued about the quant classes I had taken since undergrad, the QSRP classes, the possibility that an acceptance may be conditional on the completion of the QSRP program, and my willingness to enroll in the QSRP classes voluntarily if that was not the case. If you have a low GPA like myself, I would definitely recommend addressing this if asked about app weaknesses.

In general, my interview was a little more informal than I had expected and it helped loosen me up. I am not a morning person, but I would recommend scheduling your interview for the morning as I did. I was able to relax and have fun during the rest of the events throughout the day (class visit, info session, lunch with students, and campus tour). I must have talked to almost 15 students, and everyone was extremely nice and they were all enthusiastic ambassadors.

Overall I was very impressed with the admissions staff, students, and facilities at Tepper. Nothing to do but nervously wait now...

Good luck all!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2010, 21:12
This post received
KUDOS
I actually wasn't sure whether they had read my application, and I don't know what your GPA was, but I think in a situation where the GPA is an obvious shortcoming in an application, you'd have to mention it. It gives you a chance to explain what went wrong and why it won't happen again. Besides, if the GPA is the obvious weakest point in the application (like it is in my case), you'd have to be crazy to say that something is weaker. Why bring up a non-obvious flaw?

I think you played it right. Nothing left to do but wait. Shaun, do you mind posting your profile either on this thread or the master applicant thread?

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2010, 14:18
This post received
KUDOS
LetsGoMets wrote:
Shaun, do you mind posting your profile either on this thread or the master applicant thread?

Sure, here are the basics:

not-for-profit accounting/finance work experience (6 yrs)
GPA 2.80
GMAT 740 Quant 49 Verbal 42

will be happy to answer any specific q's you had as well. Good luck with your app!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 3

Re: Interview Update [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2010, 14:34
This post received
KUDOS
shaun3 wrote:
If you have a low GPA like myself, I would definitely recommend addressing this if asked about app weaknesses.

You made the right move. I also addressed my low GPA during my Tepper interview, which apparently worked out for me. My interviewer went as far as saying that GPA is not a very important factor in the admissions process and that a low GPA can easily be negated with strong course selection, upward trends, high concentration GPA (if business/finance), etc... best of luck!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: CMU, Ross, Kellogg, Case, OSU, Stanford, Kelley

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2010, 06:44
This post received
KUDOS
I interviewed on campus - feb 15th..
It was a completely different experience as I was invited for a Women in Tepper day visit..
there were 30 women and there was a schedule for the whole day

I liked the class environment and the students were all very friendly !
Had awesome lunch and tea party too in the evening !!

I had a wonderful experience.

I interviewed with an Adcom.. pretty cool and was more like a conversation
Just the general questions:
Why MBA?
Why MBA now?
Why Tepper?
What would you like to do after an MBA?

Good luck to the rest of you !
Also I received an email yesterday which said that my application is complete and I would be receiving the decision on March 15th !!

So I guess its just wait, wait and wait till then !!!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 89 [1] , given: 3439

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2010, 07:27
This post received
KUDOS
milias wrote:
Thank you, MBA42012 and rao_1857. If I want to go into tech marketing with a sustainability focus and eventually go into tech consulting in emerging markets, would Tepper be a good fit for me?

Also, what is the student culture like at Tepper? Is it more on the competitive side or is there a greater emphasis on teamwork?

Hey milias, I applied to, visited and interviewed at Tepper and the impression that I got was that if you wanted to do anything finance/tech/engineering-related Carnegie Mellon was a top-tier option due to the mathematic and analytic rigor of their courses. They offer a lot of dual degree options with MS programs at their school. For instance, you know I'm a dual degree policy/business applicant and CMU is the only big name school that I know of that offers a Masters of Science in Public Policy rather than a purely professional policy degree.

I did not get the impression that the students were very grade-competitive but in the finance elective I sat in on everyone that spoke was very impressive. I was not disappointed by the quality of students. It was a course on valuation and half of the sessions were case studies of past mergers that were presented by student groups to the rest of the class via PowerPoint as if the student groups were an independent board of directors or something like that who wanted to know how to price the corporations, at the time of the merger. After the presentation, students respectfully grilled the presenting group about their numbers/calculations/assumptions and they walked through where they could have improved/changed their analysis. Even though it wasn't their case to present, each group had done some unique analysis with different but relevant data that added to the conversation. I'm not a finance guy at all, but it seemed like a cool class.

Also, every Friday they do a booze session on campus, similar to Fuqua Friday but less cultural, so the students seemed pretty sociable to me.

I too kind of decided to apply last minute but I'm very happy I did. I would be happy to go to CMU if I were accepted.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2010, 10:11
This post received
KUDOS
milias wrote:
Thank you, coakleym and rao_1857. That was very helpful! I'm debating whether I should visit the campus prior to applying. It'd be a 10-hour drive for me. Or maybe I could fly.

I would say it's not worth the 10 hour drive, unless you definitely plan on applying and want to write that you visited the school in your essays. Otherwise, from an opportunity cost standpoint, you could probably just do the entire application in the amount of time you spend driving/deciding to apply (especially if it's 10 hours each way)!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2010, 12:51
This post received
KUDOS
I'll second coakley. I did something along the same lines. I put something in my essay about having visited CMU last when I was considering them for undergrad (8-9 years ago), and that I'm looking forward to visiting again for my interview. I think as long as you do your research on the school and write good essays that explain why it's a good fit, they understand if you haven't visited yet. I think this is true of most schools. They all know that traveling is both time consuming and expensive, and that a lot of the information is available online.

That said - you can get information from a visit that isn't available online. So, it might make your application stronger (i.e. you may have more details in an essay explaining why it's a good fit or what you'd add to Tepper)

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2010, 11:01
This post received
KUDOS
milias wrote:
hypermeganet wrote:
And Pittsburgh is only about a 6 hour drive for me (50 min by plane) so I can visit eventually.

What did you all think of the city of Pittsburgh? I've heard that it's kinda rundown or something. Any truth to that? How's the business climate over there?

I haven't visited Pitt for school stuff but I've been there many times when I worked as a consultant seeing clients. It's an "ok" city. Very blue collar. Weather stinks. Home to PNC, has quite a few finance firms, all of the Big 4, and some other decent businesses. It's pretty insulated from the outside world (you go through a mountain to get to it from one side!).

School:
Boston College MBA '12

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 36 [1] , given: 17

Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2010, 11:26
This post received
KUDOS
milias wrote:
coakleym wrote:
Since we're all rankings slaves around here... Pittsburgh was ranked the #1 most-livable city in the United States by the Economist. :stupid

Really? Pittsburgh? What were they smoking? LOL!

I think Pittsburgh gets a bad rep because people still think of it as being in the situation Detroit is in now, a run-down, dying, former industrial powerhouse. It revitalized and focused on education and healthcare to improve the economy. Yes, the whole town is obsessed with the Steelers, which may add to the "blue collar" flair or whatever, but it's actually quite a nice city with a strong professional core. I actually think the setting of the city is absolutely gorgeous.

I'm not going to pretend its New York, but it's the type of place where if you're a professional married to another professional that you can own a beautiful refurbished robber baron mansion (as opposed to flimsy new construction) in a nice neighbourhood in the city core (as opposed to the 'burbs), buy a couple of nice cars, take nice vacations and save for retirement/kid's college educations without making investment banking money. There are enough companies around that you can job hop, but not as many as if you lived in a bigger urban area.

2 of my hipster (ergo, pretentious) classmates from law school married each other and moved there and seem really happy with it. I actually really liked the city when I visited and wouldn't mind settling down there eventually. But I'm kind of crazy/obsessed with old architecture and like places like Detroit, Philadelphia etc.

More importantly, I was very impressed by CMU and its students.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2010, 13:47
This post received
KUDOS
milias wrote:
Anyone know if Tepper is good for tech consulting? I read on their website that they're good at tech stuff, but are they good for consulting, too? I read somewhere that M/B/B doesn't really recruit there. What about 2nd tier consulting companies?

Tepper places about 20% in consulting every year, which includes McKinsey and Bain (not so much BCG unless students pursue this on their own). Booz, Deloitte, PWC, ATK, etc. all recruit from Tepper as well. The median consulting salary for Tepper grads is $124,800. If Tepper is strong in consulting, I'm sure this applies for tech consulting as well.

Also, this is all public information. Instead of posting the same exact questions here that you do on the BW forums, just do some research. The employment reports are a good place to start.

http://www.tepper.cmu.edu/corporations-and-recruiters/recruiters/index.aspx
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2010, 14:40
This post received
KUDOS
Guys lets avoid trash talk ......We can frequent BW for that.......IF you feel the question is stupid or easily answerable...Ignore it
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2010, 18:29
This post received
KUDOS
goldenspaceship wrote:
I have a question which if solved will help my essay tremendously, does anyone know of any professors or lecturers at Tepper that had came out of hardships? (Physical, background, mental), etc.... haha
I know a weird question, but I am trying to find another character about the school that I can related to.

No idea and dont know if this is a good approach.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2010, 21:05
This post received
KUDOS
Milias, the following is not specifically about you, but it applies to your last post. I'm certainly not trying to pass judgment on anyone. There are many questions on this board where a poster asks complete strangers to make a personal decision about what the poster should do. That is to say that there is nobody on this board that knows you better than yourself. Go with your gut instinct and it's probably going to be right. Would I be surprised to know that you do volunteer work? Maybe, depending on what you do. Same thing for religious activities (might be a more touchy subject, but if done right, it could make for a good essay). If everything else were equal (ie you could write an essay of equal strength) I would take the less predictable topic because it answers the question better.

If it helps you any, I wrote my essay on owning a racehorse and being committed to social responsibility within the thoroughbred racehorse industry. It shows a side of me that I'm really passionate about that doesn't fit anywhere else in the application (which I think is the idea of the essay). Hopefully this helps, and sorry in advance if the first part of my response is out of line.

Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants   [#permalink] 27 Feb 2010, 21:05