Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:41 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Tepper Class of 2012
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Ross 2012
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Law, Entrepreneur
 Q50  V47
GPA: 3.83
Send PM
Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
milias wrote:
prasanna0208 wrote:
Does Tepper really interview all admits??? I doubt they do.

Most schools do. Or did you mean applicants?

Nah, I specificaly meant "Admits". Apparently, they don't. I checked with a senior from Under Grad who is a Tepper Alumni. He mentioned that they don't necessarily interview all "Accepted" applicants. Well, may be it was true when he went (and that was 4 years ago). So, was wondering if the same is still true?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Concentration: Finance, Law, Entrepreneur
 Q50  V47
GPA: 3.83
Send PM
Kudos
LetsGoMets wrote:
I'm sure there are plenty of applicants who can write well and present themselves well on paper, but fall short when it comes to communication skills. My interviewer at Kellogg specifically told me that they try to interview everyone specifically because in the past, they let in some people who had no social graces.

I know many people like this, usually insanely good at math or science, but are significantly socially challenged.

Well, but - I think these insanely-good-math/science but socially not so fortunate must also get a chance to be part of a business school education. Its not necessary that socially adept fellas only make it super in life -- Bill Gates is very socially inept!
So, I think its a mix of both worlds. You don't want to see a super social guy with average math / analytical ability either! :)
btw, I am not socially inept :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools:Emory 2012
 Q50  V47
GPA: 2.5 Applied Math Major
WE 1: 1 yr proprietary trading
WE 2: 2 yrs global ibank in municipal derivatives
Send PM
Kudos
Maybe I am :)

I'm not sure I disagree with you. The super-nerds (as I'll call them) did well in school, and I'm sure make for great scientists. There are lots of hedge funds that would love a super-nerd to be their quant guy. Look at Renaissance, they're all PhDs in Physics and Math. But, then again, maybe the PhD is the better degree for these people.

Part of getting an MBA, at least for me, is to round out these social skills. Masters degrees in general are usually terminal, that is to say that the student goes and gets a job afterward. Schools like their job placement stats to be very good, and super-nerds can be hard to place. They're out of place in many environments. You're at an IB, right? I'm doubt your best quant is the same person closing the multi-billion dollar deal, even if his work was crucial to getting the deal done. In my mind, the MBA gets you the skills you need to be that closer, and the PhD does a lot of the heavy lifting along the way.

I am by no means saying that the super-nerd can't ultimately be successful, because I do believe they can. (I have a few friends who I'd consider to be in this group and I think there's a good shot of any of them having a spectacular scientific impact) I just don't know that B-school for an MBA is the right venue for them. I also think the underlying reason they're weeded out has to do with job placement.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Darden, Duke, Booth, Texas, Georgetown
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
mba2102 wrote:
How's Tepper's reputation overall? It seems there's not many people who apply to it. Is it a second-rated school? I simply want to ask because I am considering applying to it. I know it is very strong in engineering but I am not sure about its MBA program...

Thanks...

Reputation wise it is behind other top 20 schools like Darden and Cornell. It is very quant focused, drawing from it's strong engineering program. After visiting the campus and talking to students, I felt it is a very nerdy school compared to other MBA programs.

For me personally, I do not want to spend 2 years in a dingy cold steel town taking very quant focused courses, so I decided to not attend it even if I do get in in round 2. Also, it does not place very well in IB which I am interested in.

But there are a lot of people who like that kind of atmosphere. Just make sure your math skills Probability and stats) are very strong, because most of the MBA students there have science background and if you want to be on top of the class, be prepared to compete with them and excel. Good luck!
Current Student
Send PM
Kudos
hookemhorns86 wrote:
mba2102 wrote:
How's Tepper's reputation overall? It seems there's not many people who apply to it. Is it a second-rated school? I simply want to ask because I am considering applying to it. I know it is very strong in engineering but I am not sure about its MBA program...

Thanks...

Reputation wise it is behind other top 20 schools like Darden and Cornell. It is very quant focused, drawing from it's strong engineering program. After visiting the campus and talking to students, I felt it is a very nerdy school compared to other MBA programs.

For me personally, I do not want to spend 2 years in a dingy cold steel town taking very quant focused courses, so I decided to not attend it even if I do get in in round 2. Also, it does not place very well in IB which I am interested in.

But there are a lot of people who like that kind of atmosphere. Just make sure your math skills Probability and stats) are very strong, because most of the MBA students there have science background and if you want to be on top of the class, be prepared to compete with them and excel. Good luck!

Tepper has always been perceived as a top 20 school; however, I feel that it's small size and location prevent it from being ranked much higher than 15. It is clearly known as a quant/tech program, but I also think that this is a common stereotype (especially among people on these forums) and that not all Tepper students actually feel this way. In fact, more than half of those who graduate from Tepper go into finance or consulting, and not technology. Below is the BW breakdown:

Consulting: 20 %
Finance/Accounting: 37 %
General Management: 10 %
Human Resources: 1 %
Marketing/Sales: 19 %
Management Information Systems (MIS): 5 %
Operations/Logistics: 8 %

I'd be curious to know what percentage of these finance/consulting positions are technology based. In terms of investment banking, Tepper seems to only place 5-10 students per year max. I think it would be inaccurate to automatically dismiss this as a small percentage without knowing the percentage of students initially pursuing ibanking at Tepper. However, after speaking to the career center I did find out that Tepper does have strong placement in corporate finance, which could always be a contingency plan if ibanking doesn't work out.

It would be very helpful if there was a Tepper student or alumnus who might be able provide his or her impressions.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
Send PM
Kudos
coakleym wrote:
anxietyismyname wrote:
Submitted Tepper in mid December
Interviewed in Mid-January
Have been waiting past 7 weeks and the wait has been killing me...if they reject or waitlist me, I will be heartbroken

Going off past rounds/years, it looks like Tepper is a deadline day e-mail kind of school (as opposed to the calls a few day before kind). Looks like we'll be waiting until the afternoon of the 15th!

I appreciate that they don't leave us waiting by the phone like many other schools.
Current Student
Send PM
Kudos
LetsGoMets wrote:
Does anyone know when Tepper's admitted student weekend is? I know I'm getting ahead of myself here, and trying not at all to be presumptuous, but trying to plan out my schedule.

Admit weekend is April 23-24, starting at 12 PM.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [1]
Given Kudos: 3439
Send PM
Kudos
mba2102 wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what kind of people get the fee waiver and how many did they send those out? It seems a great deal of ppl received the invitations.

During my interview, I asked about it and got the impression it was sent based just on total GMAT score.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Ross 2012
Send PM
Kudos
Just submitted my app. Hope I'll hear from them soon!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:Booth Class of 2012
Send PM
Kudos
I would encourage you to submit as well. I visited the school before applying and I think they have a strong faculty a well designed program and the statistics from their career service were impressive.

If you don't get addmitted in r4, I was under the impression that re-applicants are welcome. I submitted my app in r3 because I really want to start my mba in 2010, if that is the same case for you go ahead!
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Whoa Boogs, when did Kellogg turn green????

Congratulations. Takes a lot of pressure off of Monday doesn't it?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
coakleym wrote:
Another important thing to keep in mind is that R2 hasn't released decisions yet. By the time we applied, R1 decisions had been released and the adcom was coming back from winter break.

I wouldn't be surprised if adcom has totally ignored R3 apps in lieu of finalizing the R2 admit/wl/ding decisions.

Good point. @TepperAdcom tweeted today something that implies they might even still be taking applications for R3:

Round 3 MBA/MSCF deadline was this past Monday, March 8th - if you haven't already submitted your application, get your materials in NOW!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Guys, I have also applied to Tepper in third round so it is really nice to know where I stand through your posts.

I was orginally going to apply for MBA this year in fall but due to some reasons I have preponed by plans.

Since I started late pretty much am applying to schools in third round. :(

Not much hope but trying to stay positive.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
mechIFR: "Mr. T, how do you predict today's outcome around 3pm west coast time?"

Mr. T: "95% chance of PAIN."

mechIFR: :|

Manager
Manager
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Kudos
I'm IN (with a little bit of $ too). A huge sigh of relief.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Concentration: Cleantech
 Q47  V44
WE 1: Nonprofit
Send PM
Kudos
In with a small/moderate merit scholarship :-)

The video was cute.

Congrats and good luck, guys!

Originally posted by onmymind on 15 Mar 2010, 14:13.
Last edited by onmymind on 17 Mar 2010, 06:18, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Concentration: General
Schools:Booth, Tuck, Ross, Darden, Tepper, ISB
WE 1: Engineer/consulting - 3 yrs
Send PM
Kudos
im in too :))))
but no mention of $$ :((( was it written in ur mail ?? i just got the accept video link ....
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  26