Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [1] , given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2009, 04:47
This post received
KUDOS

Essays

A. What are your short-term and long-term goals? How will a Tepper MBA help you to achieve these goals. (Please include any information regarding what steps you have taken to learn more about the Tepper School.) (Suggested length: 2 double-spaced pages)

B. The Tepper School’s culture relies on all members to be active contributors to our community. With your values, experiences, and interests, how will you make a unique contribution to the Tepper community? Your examples may include: classroom interaction, student activities, career development, community service, etc.(Suggested length: 2 double-spaced pages)

C. Please answer two of the following three questions or statements. Please clearly specify which questions you are answering. Your two answers should equal a total of two pages or less.

1. Describe an obstacle you have faced in your professional or academic life. How did you overcome this obstacle and how did it foster your development?

2. Describe a time in which your ethics were challenged. How did you deal with the situation and what did you learn from it?

3. One thing people would be surprised to know about me is . . .

D. Is there anything additional that you think we should know as we evaluate your application? Note: if you believe your credentials and essays represent you fairly, you should not feel obligated to answer this question. This essay is intended to provide a place for you to add information that you think is important but is not covered elsewhere in the application.

You must complete this essay if you answered “yes” to the additional information questions on the previous page.

Deadlines

Round 1
Deadline - October 26, 2009
Decision - December 21, 2009

Round 2
Deadline - January 04, 2010
Decision - March 15, 2010

Round 3
Deadline - March 08, 2010
Decision - May 03, 2010

Round 4
Deadline - April 26, 2010*
Decision - June 04, 2010

Round 5
Deadline - June 01, 2010**
Decision - Rolling

R1
Total Applicants: 18
Interview Invites: 14
Admitted: 8
WL: 1
Dinged:
Unknown: 9

alnasi - Interviewed
alymarie
andy2010 - Interviewed
awesomeusername - Admit w/$$$
bhy - Admit w/$$$
Class2012 - Admit
dv450 - Admit w/$$$
hopeful1 - Interview
jackets85 - Admit
madbubbles - Admit(Forte Fellow)
MBA42012 - Admit
Pre777
quantumquark - Interviewed
rao_1857 - Admit
rhaces - Waitlist
rohitmakkad
Skye10 - Interviewed
vnbui

R2
Total Applicants: 26
Interview Invites: 16
Admitted:5
WL: 6
Ding: 1
Unknown - 14

Admits

Boogs - with $$
LetsGoMets - with $$
maxtor
onmymind - with $$
sam04

ammim - Ding
anxietyismyname - Interview
Ari123 - Interview/Withdrew
apurvashukla
Boogs - Interview
coakleym - Waitlist
connecticket
finblue
Freshair - Interview
gmatmba2010 - Waitlist
gottabwise
hookemhorns86 - Waitlist
kirtanasrini - Waitlist
lewi - Interview
M2010
manasa - Waitlist
mechIFR
nilashis
shaun3 - Interview
Spikezz - Waitlist
stayingcalm
yuskay

R3
Total Applicants: 4
Interview Invites:
Admitted:
WL:
Dinged:

jbourne
shinkdown
sunshinemoods
tomahawk003

Link to last year's thread - calling-all-cmu-tepper-fall-2009-applicants-69554.html

Last edited by Class2012 on 23 Mar 2010, 10:25, edited 31 times in total.
Updated roll call.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg, Ross, Tepper
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [2] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2009, 12:16
This post received
KUDOS
I had my interview yesterday and thought everyone might benefit from a little summary

The interview lasted about an hour. It was very conversational which was great. The actually questioning portion probably only lasted 40 minutes and the rest was shooting the breeze. The questions were mainly basic but did include a few geared towards me personally:

Journey from undergrad to MBA
Why Tepper
Best qualities of a leader
Example when I showed my confidence
Quality I most want to improve at tepper
One of my strengths
Do you feel more like a peer or understudy at company (more geared at me since I am a bit of a younger candidate)
Moral of company, what have I done to improve it (again, more towards me since I work in the auto industry)
Any question that I had

Overall, I thought it went pretty well.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2009, 22:13
This post received
KUDOS
dv450 wrote:
The questions were mainly basic but did include a few geared towards me personally:

Journey from undergrad to MBA
Why Tepper
Best qualities of a leader
Example when I showed my confidence
Quality I most want to improve at tepper
One of my strengths
Do you feel more like a peer or understudy at company (more geared at me since I am a bit of a younger candidate)
Moral of company, what have I done to improve it (again, more towards me since I work in the auto industry)
Any question that I had

Overall, I thought it went pretty well.

Those questions def seem geared just toward your personal situation as they don't even come close to the ones I had. The only overlap between your interview and mine is the first two questions and the last. The flow of my interview was also very conversational and casual which I appreciated. Trying to remember off the top of my head, some other questions I had were:

How do you approach complex/large tasks?
If you could change one thing at your workplace what would it be?

My apologies, that's all I can really recall. I enjoyed the visit, I didn't realize until I got there that all of the b-school classes take place in just one building. The students I interacted with were very friendly and seemed bright.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [2] , given: 25

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2009, 06:14
This post received
KUDOS
gottabwise wrote:
NYCAnalyst wrote:
bhy wrote:
I hear that the default capstones project (management games or something like that) is an incredible experience that many alumni feel was the single best thing about the program. I may end up simply taking the courses I want and then participating in the default capstone project.

I took this course as an undergrad (it's basically the same for MBA students). I can easily say that it was my favorite course at CMU.

Can you share your capstone experience?

Basically you are in a team of 5 students. First, the people in the class vote on who the team presidents are. If you want to become president, you put a little blurb about why you'd make a good one, submit your candidacy, and everyone sees it. If you do not want to become president, you don't put any blurb, and don't submit your candidacy. Everyone has 3 votes for president. The presidents choose their teams via a private snake draft. Their teammates get titles (Ex: VP Finance, VP Marketing, VP Accounting, VP Ops, etc). There were about 10 teams in my class.

Then you are put in charge of a fictional company, competing with 4 other teams in their own world. You start at year 5, and all the other teams are equal at that point. (The balance sheet and product prices / quality are all equal.) Years 1-4 have already been simulated for you, so you can run regression analysis on past data, etc. Some of the other teams are from other schools in other countries. You are selling 2 products (one is a premium product and one is a mass-produced product) in 6 different countries, each with their own different elasticities to price, quality, and marketing. You don't know these elasticities.

The team sets the inputs (Price of product, Quality is set by $$ spent on R & D - you don't know the exact relationship, and $$ Spent on Marketing) for each product before each period. (Each period is a simulated quarter, and there are 12 periods). Depending on your inputs and the inputs of the other teams in your world, you could do "better" or "worse" than them for each period. You can also move production of those products to any of these 6 countries, and depending on where your factories are, the cost to make / quality of the product will be different. For example if you move the factory for product 1 from Germany to China, the cost to make it is cheaper but the quality of the product is lower. So you might have to spend more on R & D to keep up with the other teams in your world.

At the end of each "year", you also have to report your performance to the board of directors (external group of people chosen for you, usually they took the course some years back). What else...there's a stock market where you can buy/sell shares of the companies in your world as well as all of the other worlds in the class. You can declare dividends to shareholders (your classmates). Since you are selling products in 6 different countries, you can also do currency hedging to hedge the fluctuations in the exchange rates. I didn't take the MBA version but the prof. did say it was a bit different - for example you can do LBOs / hostile takeovers of companies (other teams) that are doing terrible. I'm sure your classmates would like that...

Let me know if you have any questions. There's some more which I probably don't remember now, but your questions could help me remember.

The class is very comprehensive...most classes have a 1-2 page syllabus. The syllabus for this class was something like a 50-page booklet...
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Fuqua Class 2012

Kudos [?]: 6 [2] , given: 1

Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2009, 11:19
This post received
KUDOS
Ari123 wrote:
I need a little help with this essay
Describe an obstacle you have faced in your professional or academic life. How did you overcome this obstacle and how did it foster your development?

How did everyone approach this one? Is it a failure essay? or should I write it as an accomplishment essay. Please answer. Maybe the admitted students could answer this question for me.

Thanks

I think you are thinking about it too much...just describe a time where you had to face an obstacle and discuss how you grew from it.

I wrote about an obstacle I faced in graduate school. I am finishing a Ph.D. right now and when I first started the Ph.D. program I realized that the caliber of students there was unbelievable. This resulted in me becoming insecure about whether I could keep up with them. These insecurities stunted my growth not only as a grad student, but also as a person. Once I realized that I was in fact insecure about this, I did a number of things to deal with those insecurities. The things I did to deal with them resulted in even more success with my program and helped me become a better person.

I think you should think about this less as a failure or an accomplishment essay and describe a time where you had an obstacle that you grew from. In the essay make sure you describe the obstacle and how it was an obstacle for you, what you did to deal with it and how you grew and what you learned from it. As long as you fill in those important areas in the essay then I don't think it matters what you write about.

Hope this helps....Good Luck!
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 59 [2] , given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2010, 08:13
This post received
KUDOS
connecticket wrote:
Any reapplicants to Tepper on this forum? One of the requirements for reapplicants is to send 'An updated resume and work history'. I am wondering if that means just the resume or an additional document highlighting the Employment Record.

I am not a reapp... but as I read this ... I think you would need both.

So on you resume.. you have to update what you did during last year:

Company X / Position Y
- new stuff
- new stuff
- old resume stuff from here on [...]

EC
- new EC leadership
- old stuff

and sort of similar approach in work history document.

my 2 cents
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2009, 23:35
This post received
KUDOS
rao_1857 wrote:
Another last min question:

If you can't get a LOR from your current supervisor, do you need to explain this in optional essay?

I think if college mentions that "we encourage applicants to get an LOR from their current supervisor", then it makes sense to mention why you couldn't get, else you can leave it.

In any case it won't hurt to state why it is not there.

That's just my thinking.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2009, 18:18
This post received
KUDOS
Rao

That's how it is for me also.You also get an email confirming your submission.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2009, 10:13
This post received
KUDOS
Hi all,

I submitted my tepper r1 app on 25th October and received interview invite in 2 days. I finished my telephone interview today (13th Nov). It went on for 45 minutes. 1st 30 minutes I answered the questions (standard qs like why mba, why now, why tepper, short term & long term career goals, ex of leadership and leadership style, conflict situation and action I took). Next 15 minutes I asked my questions about Tepper. I felt good about the overall interview experience. It was informal and conversational. You can read more about my profile and my mba application journey on my blog mad-bubbles dot blogspot dot com

Decisions will be released on Dec 21st. All the best to rest of the applicants.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2009, 17:20
This post received
KUDOS
As far as I know, Tepper has one of the highest class hour/year ratio.

:)
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg, Ross, Tepper

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2009, 13:20
This post received
KUDOS
woohoo!!! In w/ $$$ :-D
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2009, 13:21
This post received
KUDOS
Looks like I'm IN.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2009, 13:29
This post received
KUDOS
I'm in ;)
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: North Carolina, Michigan, Carnegie Mellon, Texas

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2009, 13:46
This post received
KUDOS
I am in w/ scholarship! This is my first admit and I am very excited! Sucks that they tortured us with that looong wait! Congrats to you others too!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2009, 13:49
This post received
KUDOS
I'm in too!!! No scholarship though :| Congrats to everybody who got in!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2009, 22:27
This post received
KUDOS
Hi fellas,

I am in as well. I have been selected as Forte Fellow with a decent scholarship. More details on my blog Madologue - http://mad-bubbles.blogspot.com/2009/12/first-taste-of-success-tepper-says.html

Congrats to other admits. :-D
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2009, 06:13
This post received
KUDOS
Updated rollcall.Let me know if I missed something.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 59 [1] , given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2009, 06:39
This post received
KUDOS
I am in .... :-D :woohoo :woohoo :woohoo

Thanks Class2012. thanks for your help in answering my queries regarding my app.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2009, 18:59
This post received
KUDOS
gottabwise wrote:
I have a few questions.
1) Does anyone intend to have a concentration in entrepreneurship?
2) Is anyone interested in the Entertainment Technology Center?
3) Does anyone intend to take courses at Heinz as well?

Why the questions? I deferred a MPM and am an aspiring creative entrepreneur.

I am interested in the biotechnology/healthcare and entrepreneurial focuses at Tepper. However, I'm not sure about the concentrations right now...it really depends on what the capstone projects are. I hear that the default capstones project (management games or something like that) is an incredible experience that many alumni feel was the single best thing about the program. I may end up simply taking the courses I want and then participating in the default capstone project.

The Heinz program has some interesting looking classes on healthcare policy. With all that is going on with healthcare reform right now, I am certainly interested in those courses.

Last edited by bhy on 24 Dec 2009, 20:35, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Emory 2012
WE 1: 1 yr proprietary trading
WE 2: 2 yrs global ibank in municipal derivatives
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 49 [1] , given: 11

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2010, 11:22
This post received
KUDOS
Ari, with all due respect, you're asking the same type questions in every forum. Each school has their own essays and they all have to be your story. Most schools want to know why you need an MBA, and CMU is no exception.

Answer the questions the best you can. Tell your story, and don't worry about making your essay fit a specific formula because there isn't one.

http://www.mbavolunteers.org - check it out

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Calling all Tepper Fall 2010 Applicants   [#permalink] 01 Jan 2010, 11:22