Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 10:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 9

Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2009, 21:28
I haven't heard anything yet, but I'm planning to call the Office of Financial Aid tomorrow, and I'll be sure to ask.
Current Student
Schools: Texas
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2009, 21:54
Let me know what you find out.

Anyone starting to think about housing?
Director
Director

Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2009, 22:04
Yeah, if you missed my long running post on student loans, I'm really looking for something cheap. I'm hoping I can live with at least two other roommates to help defray some of the costs. I spoke with a current student and he mentioned The Triangle as a really cool place to live. Here's the link: http://triangleaustin.com/

I think the 3BR is like $2250 or so, which isn't terrible. I'm also considering a house, which could be $500 or so a person for 3-5 people. What are you thinking?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2009, 22:05
I will be applying this week to Texas. I am a former longhorn and can help u guys with any housing related questions u might have!

Traffic never sleeps...

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)

Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2009, 22:06
jb32 wrote:
Yeah, if you missed my long running post on student loans, I'm really looking for something cheap. I'm hoping I can live with at least two other roommates to help defray some of the costs. I spoke with a current student and he mentioned The Triangle as a really cool place to live. Here's the link: http://triangleaustin.com/

I think the 3BR is like $2250 or so, which isn't terrible. I'm also considering a house, which could be $500 or so a person for 3-5 people. What are you thinking?

jb32, the triangle is one of the more expensive places to live. remember, this is texas, 2250 is a lot of money. U can easily get 3 bed-3 bath in west campus for about 1200-1300.

Traffic never sleeps...

Director
Director

Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2009, 22:16
Cool, I'm liking West campus. It looks like a really short walk to class. I'm also hoping to get some piece of crap house for cheap - like $450 a month or so.
Current Student

Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2009, 22:25
I will also be looking for something cheaper and close to campus. $1300 for a 3/3 in west campus seems like a STEAL to me. I was counting on that price for a 2 bedroom honestly.

I also just took a look at the University owned apartments for graduate students. They have 3 complexes- 2 of which are about 6 miles from campus and 1 of which is about 3 miles away on way west 6th street. Anyone heard anything about these places? They are SUPER cheap and whgile 6 miles from campus is too far for my liking, 3 miles doesn't seem bad. Apparently the UT shuttle picks up at all three university owned apartments and from the one that is 3 miles away its a 10 min shuttle ride to campus. I'd stll rather be walking distance though.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2009, 22:43
icon, those are the best places to stay if u r a graduate student. Many of my PhD friends live there. Getting an apartment there is tough. In general, there is always a long wait list. It does help if u r married, as u get preferance. A 2/2 in univ owned apts costed 600 in 2006. I am not sure abt the rents now. Btw, west campus is famous with undergrads. During my masters, I lived in west campus and couldnt sleep on numerous occasions because of all those all-night parties in the neighborhood. I prefer north campus (near engineering school) to west campus. A classier crowd if u ask me!

Traffic never sleeps...

Current Student

Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2009, 22:49
traffix wrote:
icon, those are the best places to stay if u r a graduate student. Many of my PhD friends live there. Getting an apartment there is tough. In general, there is always a long wait list. It does help if u r married, as u get preferance. A 2/2 in univ owned apts costed 600 in 2006. I am not sure abt the rents now. Btw, west campus is famous with undergrads. During my masters, I lived in west campus and couldnt sleep on numerous occasions because of all those all-night parties in the neighborhood. I prefer north campus (near engineering school) to west campus. A classier crowd if u ask me!

Still priced right about the same. Seems almost too good to be true. Assuming a person was lucky enough to get off the waiting list to get one, would you reccomend living there over somewhere closer?

I have had numerous people comment to me that North campus would be a great place to live. West campus I am just most familiar with from visiting friends in college etc.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2009, 23:19
icon wrote:
Still priced right about the same. Seems almost too good to be true. Assuming a person was lucky enough to get off the waiting list to get one, would you reccomend living there over somewhere closer?

I have had numerous people comment to me that North campus would be a great place to live. West campus I am just most familiar with from visiting friends in college etc.

If u get a Univ apt, there is nuthin like it. The UT shuttle service runs late into the evening. But preferably, u would wanna have a car with u. Parking during the day is a hassle, but evening parking is free. I used to drive back to campus most evenings.

Traffic never sleeps...

Director
Director

Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2009, 10:53
Just to follow up on my previous post, I spoke with the financial aid office today and they said McCombs has the dollar amount for scholarships set, although he did not tell me what it was. We should learn here in the next few weeks about scholarships.
Current Student

Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2009, 13:43
jb32 wrote:
Just to follow up on my previous post, I spoke with the financial aid office today and they said McCombs has the dollar amount for scholarships set, although he did not tell me what it was. We should learn here in the next few weeks about scholarships.

Well I would hope that we would find out sometime in January being that they asked for an acceptance of the offer by February 15th. Not sure that it affects my decision much one way or another bc I am not expecting anything but still...

Thanks for the update jb.
Intern
Intern
Schools: McCombs
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2009, 06:00
Depending on the sale of my house I might buy a place in Austin. There are some decent 2/2 for sale near campus, and it seems like housing is getting a bit less expensive in Austin lately. Is everyone who got accepted going to be there for preview weekend in April?
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2009, 15:50
All,
I received admit today. I interviewed on 10th Dec.
My stats - 690/BTech/MS, Operations management.
Indian currently in US

Nagmu
Director
Director

Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2009, 18:24
Congrats Nagmu!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2009, 00:39
Just submitted my app. This was my last application! Time for UT to show me some alum love!

Traffic never sleeps...

Current Student
Schools: Ross,Johnson, Darden, McCombs, Simon

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2009, 05:37
Nice work Nagmu!
Intern
Intern
Schools: Ross, Kellogg, Johnson

Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2009, 07:44
how important is it to visit McCombs? Did anyone get admit without visiting or attending any of their events? Like me, if you can't visit or attend any event, what can you do to show interest?
Director
Director

Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2009, 08:02
rscricket wrote:
how important is it to visit McCombs? Did anyone get admit without visiting or attending any of their events? Like me, if you can't visit or attend any event, what can you do to show interest?

I'm assuming you are an international applicant? Otherwise, I would try and visit a class or at least do an on campus interview.

If you are an international applicant than I'm pretty sure they understand. I visited campus before submitting my app, then interviewed on campus. Of course I only live three hours from Austin, so I was expected to show them some love.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Ross, Kellogg, Johnson

Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2009, 09:10
I live more than a driving distance away in US. Do they expect you to fly? Or can you wait until you get an interview call?

Also with rolling admissions, do the application deadlines matter? I don't think they would, right?
Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants!   [#permalink] 14 Jan 2009, 09:10