Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 22:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2009, 20:11
That's true, but I'm asking if it makes a huge difference to apply, let's say, this Friday, instead of tomorrow, for domestic applicants. Most of the other schools ration off the decisions in firm rounds, it seems that UT uses "suggested" deadlines and rolling admission. So, instead of comparing your application to everyone in a single round, UT just compares it to whatever has already come in. Correct?
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2009, 21:34
If those two days will make your application better, then wait the two days. However, McCombs says they evaluate applications as they come in, so the longer you wait, the fewer spots available. If they have already admitted say 300 of the roughly 500 they will admit this year, then you are at a significant disadvantage waiting this long versus submitting in November. However, I don't think two days will really matter. Just make sure the application is the best it can be, then submit.
Current Student
Schools: Ross,Johnson, Darden, McCombs, Simon
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2009, 12:15
I would not worry about a difference of a week not to mention a few days. Some people have been hearing back a month after their interview and there are people like me who are waiting over three months for a response. Get your best app in whenever its ready and maybe take a little extra time if you think its worth it.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2009, 14:35
I wonder what's taking them so long to respond to some applicants. Have they lost track of stuff?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2009, 16:04
i submitted my app on 11/23...app went under review 12/5...haven't heard back since.....wonder wat these guys are doing!!!
Current Student

Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2009, 19:46
I have read on the BW forums that many people have called to check on their status. I was tempted to do so on Friday, but Im not sure what good that will do. They obviously havent made a decision and I wonder if it will look bad that I am calling. What do you guys think...just wait patiently or call so that they can tell me that a decision will be made in the next few weeks? At least the latter will make me feel like I am doing something.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2009, 09:46
I think it doesn't hurt to call once, especially if you need to respond to an offer
from another school.
Current Student

Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2009, 13:49
Well, I called today and they told me that when a decision is made, the website will be updated. Thats it, the guy had no idea of when I could expect a decision. I guess I could have been a little more pushy, but I didnt see how that would help much. Anyways, the wait continues.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2009, 14:34
dghazer wrote:
Well, I called today and they told me that when a decision is made, the website will be updated. Thats it, the guy had no idea of when I could expect a decision. I guess I could have been a little more pushy, but I didnt see how that would help much. Anyways, the wait continues.

I thought they will call you or email you with the decision instead of just changing the status on the website?

The one who flies is worthy. The one who is worthy flies. The one who doesn't fly isn't worthy

Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2009, 14:46
I was admitted last Friday and the decision was communicated through their "check your status" website. I then received a congratulations call about 3 hours later. I think it is varying for some people but I would be checking the website occassionally to make sure that you haven't missed anything.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2009, 18:24
I submitted my app on 2/1 and paid the $125 then itself but today I got an email that I still need to pay the app fee.Did anyone else encounter this issue?

Also the status page shows that I still need to submit my essays even though I submitted them with the app.
Current Student

Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2009, 21:03
I have read that the majority of people are finding out through the online status check page. Perhaps this is because so many of us are checking it hourly in anticipation. Has anyone heard how much app volume is up at UT? maybe they are just completely swamped and are doing the best they can...who knows.

And I have heard of a number of people who have had their status page report missing documents only to be told by the admissions people that they have the docs and not to worry.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2009, 21:28
I'm in!! Just got the call late this afternoon - i'm beyond thrilled!!! I'll definitely be at Admit weekend if any of you guys plan on going :)
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2009, 21:50
Hey, so hate to ask a stupid question, but I've never been to B-school before, so... you know.

Is there no reimbursement for our travel to admit weekend? I haven't seen any information indicating that on any of the other admit weekend messages on here. Most of my friends who went to law school were reimbursed for some/most of their travel expenses - are we not? Hmph.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2009, 05:57
Toubab wrote:
Hey, so hate to ask a stupid question, but I've never been to B-school before, so... you know.

Is there no reimbursement for our travel to admit weekend? I haven't seen any information indicating that on any of the other admit weekend messages on here. Most of my friends who went to law school were reimbursed for some/most of their travel expenses - are we not? Hmph.

No, there is no reimbursement for travel, although some of the events at admit weekend are free.
Current Student

Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2009, 06:21
Congrats Weezil
Current Student
Schools: Texas

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2009, 15:38
Schollies are out boys and girls. I just got an email offering me a McCombs Merit Scholarship. Needless to say I am very excited!

Best of luck to everyone waiting to hear good news.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2009, 17:57
icon wrote:
Schollies are out boys and girls. I just got an email offering me a McCombs Merit Scholarship. Needless to say I am very excited!

Best of luck to everyone waiting to hear good news.

If you don't mind answering, how much is the merit scholarship worth?
Current Student
Schools: Texas

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2009, 20:16
Mine was $10k. $5k per year.
Current Student

Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2009, 22:43
Nice Icon...congrats
Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants!   [#permalink] 04 Feb 2009, 22:43