Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:58 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Booth (admitted R1), NYU (interview Mar 4), UT (withdrawn), Rice (admitted R2) plus dings at HBS, Stanford, Wharton and CBS
 Q45  V46
GPA: 3.4
WE 1: Oil and gas
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Energy, Finance
Schools:Texas, Rice, Mays
 Q48  V38
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Schools:Darden, Duke, Booth, Texas, Georgetown
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: Calling All Texas-McCombs Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink]
Submitted on 11/1.. still no interview invite. Based on the quick turn arounds for others here, I guess I should give up hope.. :(
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship/Finance
Schools:McCombs Class of 2012
 Q42  V48
Send PM
hookemhorns86 wrote:
Submitted on 11/1.. still no interview invite. Based on the quick turn arounds for others here, I guess I should give up hope.. :(

Hang in there man. Busy time for those adcoms. Best of luck.

Quiet on the boards these days...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
thanks buddy..good luck to you!
Current Student
 Q42  V48
Send PM
So as we wait for invites/decisions, I figured it would be nice to learn a little about our fellow applicants and their motivations/ambitions. I'll try to get this rolling...

McCombs for me is the end game. I know a lot of people use McCombs as a back up and I can certainly understand why, but not me! As an undergrad I studied mechanical engineering at UT which resulted in a fantastic all around experience although unfortunately a disappointing 2.75 GPA. Knowing for a long time that I wanted the engineering/MBA combo, I knew that I needed to balance the GPA so I studied hard for the GMAT and got a 730. For the past 3+ years I have been working at one of the largest domestic general contractors doing project management on $100 mil construction projects.

I have spent considerable effort over the past several months communicating to McCombs my interest in their program. I have attended several events in Austin, and have had as much correspondence with as many AdCom/MAC members that I can. Why a MBA/McCombs? I need the knowledge offered by a MBA to bring back to my family's Texas based business to take it to the next level. McCombs is the top MBA program in the southwest region, to find a better ranked school you have to go all the way to North Carolina!! I want to go to a top MBA program and I want a Texas based network, hence McCombs.

I do not have interest in other "top" programs and have not applied. I understand there may be better ranked schools out there, but not in Texas and not for me.

I'd love to hear some other peoples' background. Good luck to everyone. Hook em'.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Good luck to you texasorbust. did you get your ME degree in 2006? I was in the ME c/o 2006.

I've already finished my McCombs application. I'm waiting to hear back from another school before submitting the McCombs application, which will be before McCombs' "R2" deadline. Austin treated me well for 4 years and I wouldn't mind going back. I'm applying for McCombs last because I'd like to experience another school, but I don't want to mess up McCombs yield. I'm interested in McCombs for the city, but also for its connection with the green tech sector. I did Business Foundations program in undergrad and like a couple of the professors.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GPA: 2.97
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
hookemhorns86 wrote:

Don't give up hope. Did you have any documents like transcripts or letters of recommendation come late?

But don't worry, hold onto hope. I've submitted mine too, waiting for that call :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Nope everything on time.. when did you submit yours? I like the list of schools you are applying to
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi, I am a new comer. I submit my application package on Nov 2nd. I received an interview invitation. I scheduled an on campus interview on Dec 4th. Good luck to everyone and good luck to myself :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GPA: 2.97
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
hookemhorns86 wrote:
Nope everything on time.. when did you submit yours? I like the list of schools you are applying to

I had submitted my November 1st, but Texas requested an official transcript for one night class I had taken in grad school so I didn't have all of my documents in until November 16th.

I'm also a re-applicant to Mccombs; I first applied for the graduating class of 2010. I was waitlisted and lasted on the waitlist until august....soooo close.

Hopefully 2 additional years of WE will put me over the top.
Intern
Intern
 Q48  V38
Send PM
hookemhorns86 wrote:

Don't lose hope! My application was complete on 9/27 and I didn't get my invite until 11/6. Of course I have a feeling that had something to do with emailing GIAC asking about why I hadn't heard from anyone in over a month... but still, they state that you can receive your interview at any time throughout the application process and it's true.

Give it a few weeks and then send them an email just to make sure all your documents made it in.
Intern
Intern
 Q48  V38
Send PM
Here's my "About Me"

McCombs for me is also my top choice. For alternative energy I can't imagine a better school and the fact that it's back in my home state is a big bonus! I am considering venture capital for a career option and pursuing the Energy Finance concentration. I am excited to get a chance to meet others with various ambitions so I can make sure I choose the right path. I really do want to make a difference in the field and have a true passion for renewable energy, and receiving a sizeable paycheck in the process couldn't hurt!

Texasorbust - I'm glad you're a Mechanical Engineer! I am hoping to get some assistance from someone with your background while I'm in school. I want to build a $200-$300 dollar wind turbine and use it to power some consumer electronics in my home. Mainly for fun though.

I have a Bachelors of Applied Science and Technology in Nuclear Engineering Technology. It's a mouthful, but it's not an engineering degree. I worked on nuclear reactors as an Electronics Technician in the Navy and am wrapping up a 6 year enlistment in just under 2 months. I got my bachelors this year and so McCombs will probably only count a year of WE. That is my biggest hurdle to jump, but the range of my experience before my bachelors is extensive, so maybe they'll overlook it.

That's about it! I'm excited to hear back from the schools I have applied to and hope to hear their decisions by mid-December or sooner.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
snowdrift wrote:
Hi, I am a new comer. I submit my application package on Nov 2nd. I received an interview invitation. I scheduled an on campus interview on Dec 4th. Good luck to everyone and good luck to myself :-D

lucky!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
elcapitan wrote:
hookemhorns86 wrote:

Don't lose hope! My application was complete on 9/27 and I didn't get my invite until 11/6. Of course I have a feeling that had something to do with emailing GIAC asking about why I hadn't heard from anyone in over a month... but still, they state that you can receive your interview at any time throughout the application process and it's true.

Give it a few weeks and then send them an email just to make sure all your documents made it in.

Thanks man..good luck to you!
Current Student
 Q42  V48
Send PM
asimov wrote:
Good luck to you texasorbust. did you get your ME degree in 2006? I was in the ME c/o 2006.

Also a 2006 grad... Still miss the beers at Crown & Anchor and burgers at Posse East.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Send PM
texasorbust wrote:
Also a 2006 grad... Still miss the beers at Crown & Anchor and burgers at Posse East.

Our graduating class wasn't that big. Did you do your K project in the spring semester?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Has anyone applied to the MBA program at DFW (Dallas)?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
For those of you interested in the energy sector, McCombs' MBA blog has a good article of the available opportunity (more ammunition for your essays):

https://blogs.mccombs.utexas.edu/mba-stu ... in-energy/
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  70