Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 11:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

McCombs 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V51
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: McCombs 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2011, 06:18
I understand that those who interviewed for round 1 said that it was a very informal process, but can you give us some specific questions you were asked? do the interviews last about an hour?
1 KUDOS received
Stanford Thread Master
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 27

Re: McCombs 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2011, 06:50
This post received
KUDOS
snobord82 wrote:
I understand that those who interviewed for round 1 said that it was a very informal process, but can you give us some specific questions you were asked? do the interviews last about an hour?

The interview went something like this:

1. Tell me a bit about yourself and what you have done post-undergraduation.
2. Why MBA? & why Texas MBA?
3. What I plan to do after completing my MBA?
4. What my teammates would say are my 3 strongest points?
5. What were my leadership experiences?
6. Toughest situation I've had to face in a team-environment?
7. What would I define/consider as success? And what would I need to be to consider myself as successful today?
8. How would I contribute to McCombs "after" completing my MBA?
9. Finally, he asked me whether I had any other points I'd like to mention that the interviewer might have missed or I would like to highlight during my interview.
10. Ended with me asking him a couple of q's on his experience at McCombs.

Overall, it lasted for about 50mins-1hr - was very conversational and light. He was a current 2'nd year student- it was a Skype interview - so very friendly & casual talk. Just be yourself and don't panic and you'll get through it very well -)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: McCombs 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2012, 10:40
Prabhakar wrote:
snobord82 wrote:

The interview went something like this:

1. Tell me a bit about yourself and what you have done post-undergraduation.
2. Why MBA? & why Texas MBA?
3. What I plan to do after completing my MBA?
4. What my teammates would say are my 3 strongest points?
5. What were my leadership experiences?
6. Toughest situation I've had to face in a team-environment?
7. What would I define/consider as success? And what would I need to be to consider myself as successful today?
8. How would I contribute to McCombs "after" completing my MBA?
9. Finally, he asked me whether I had any other points I'd like to mention that the interviewer might have missed or I would like to highlight during my interview.
10. Ended with me asking him a couple of q's on his experience at McCombs.

Overall, it lasted for about 50mins-1hr - was very conversational and light. He was a current 2'nd year student- it was a Skype interview - so very friendly & casual talk. Just be yourself and don't panic and you'll get through it very well -)
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.15
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Re: McCombs 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2012, 12:39
Is anyone planning on attending the admit dinner or MBA Friday?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q V
GPA: 3.46
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 7

Re: McCombs 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2012, 08:20
jtmallory7v wrote:

@jtmallory7v - Yes, I am planning to attend the dinner on the 19th, but not MBA Friday.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: AID

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: McCombs 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2012, 09:48
prince49 wrote:
jtmallory7v wrote:

@jtmallory7v - Yes, I am planning to attend the dinner on the 19th, but not MBA Friday.

Same here.
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 650 Q47 V33
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 4

Re: McCombs 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2012, 11:02
Hi All,

I also got an admit from Mccombs.

I wont be attending the MBA Friday or the dinner on 19th. Unfortunately, I am too far away from Austin :(
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: McCombs 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2012, 22:05
Did any international applicant applied in round -2 get interview invite ?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 12

Re: McCombs 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 02:39
This post received
KUDOS
insvirat wrote:

Yes, I did.
Got the interview on Dec 20, 2011 at 8:59 PM GMT.
I applied in R2 on 4th Dec, 2011.
Have a Skype interview.
Someone will schedule the interview in the week starting 16th Jan.
The interview must be completed by Friday, February 3, 2012.
Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Other
GMAT Date: 11-08-2011
GPA: 3.17

Re: McCombs 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 08:49
insvirat wrote:

I did. Applied on the 5th of December and received my invitation 7 days later. Scheduled my interview on the 5th of January.

Hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.11
WE: Consulting (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Re: McCombs 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 16:06
vinaynp wrote:
prince49 wrote:
jtmallory7v wrote:

Same here.

I'll be attending both the dinner on Thursday and also MBA Friday as well. Didn't get to explore campus and Austin much the last time I was down there but am looking forward to it next week.
Current Student
Affiliations: LEAD Program in Business, NSHMBA, NBMBAA
Concentration: General Management
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 77

GMAT Tests User
Re: McCombs 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 19:52
Hi McCombs applicants! FYI if you're applying to McCombs through the Consortium Graduate Study in Management (CGSM), hop over to the Consortium 2012 Forum and Update Your Profile to join the Consortium roll call.

It's simple. Just select your school as "Consortium, the", then indicate which specific institution(s) you'll be applying to, make sure your application cycle is 2011-2012 and the Consortium round (CGSM1 or CGSM2) you be applied in. You can do all of this easily through the handy 'Add to Your Schools' link on the front page of the Consortium 2012 Forum.

We have a special analytics specifically for those candidates applying via Consortium and lots of conversation specific to Consortium candidates and the school(s) they are applying to.

Come and join the conversation! Cheers!

My Blog - Road to the MBA Class of 2014

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 750 Q46 V48
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 31 [1] , given: 1

Re: McCombs 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2012, 19:30
This post received
KUDOS
Had my McCombs interview today. I did with an adcom rep here in NYC. The questions were pretty consistent with the posts here.
1. Tell me about yourself and what has lead you to pursuing an mba?
2. Why McCombs?
3. Tell me about a time you resolved a difficult business problem
4. What do you think is the weakest part of your MBA application? - this one was a surprise
5. What is the strongest part of your application?
6. What have you learned about yourself from the MBA application process?
7. Tell me about a time you led a team
8. Tell me about a time you stepped out of your comfort zone.

All in all it went pretty well I think. The conversation was pretty casual with a good deal of back and forth. Good luck to everyone in their interviews.
Manager
Manager
Schools: UCLA (Applied), ROss (Applied), UNC (Waitlisted), Emory (Waitlisted). mcCombs (Waitlisted), kellogg (Interviewed), Haas (Ding)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 14

Re: McCombs 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2012, 03:06
Hi All,

I am McCombs (no schol.) and Rice Admit (huge schol) for class of 2014. Post MBA, I am to join general management/leadership positions? Please pour in your thoughts. RIce's huge scholarship is compensating for UT's strong South West brand.

Best,
time4mba
Intern
Intern
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: McCombs 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2012, 11:24
Hey everyone,

Received an invite to interview last Tuesday and will be interviewing this Thursday. Applied in R2. Is anyone going to the MBA Day Jan. 20th? Looking forward to meeting anyone that is going to be there that day!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Other
GMAT Date: 11-08-2011
GPA: 3.17

Re: McCombs 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2012, 17:01
time4mba wrote:
Hi All,

I am McCombs (no schol.) and Rice Admit (huge schol) for class of 2014. Post MBA, I am to join general management/leadership positions? Please pour in your thoughts. RIce's huge scholarship is compensating for UT's strong South West brand.

Best,
time4mba

Both are good schools. While McCombs has better brand value across the nation, it is still a regional school. Rice has a big presence in Houston, while Mccombs is the powerhouse in the entire region.

McCombs does not only have a better brand compared to Rice, its overall program is much better. Austin is a very entrepreneurial city with tons of different types of companies around the area. Rice, on the other hand, has a strong presence in Houston and its energy sector.

One of the aspects I keep reminding international hopefuls is debt acquisition. Most of us think that after graduation we will find a good paying job in the US that will wipe the debt in a couple years. We keep hearing that the job market for mbas is improving, however it is still very difficult for an international graduate to find a job in the States. Internationals MUST consider going back to their countries as an alternative. If pay scale is much lower in your country your debt could become a tremendous problem.

If money is not an issue, then I would definitely recommend you Mccombs over Rice.
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 286 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: McCombs 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2012, 06:58
My application status still shows as "Application Submitted", no update yet :(, although I applied in last week of November.

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Schools: University of Texas - Austin (McCombs) - Class of 2014
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: McCombs 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2012, 07:03
duongdav wrote:
Hey everyone,

Received an invite to interview last Tuesday and will be interviewing this Thursday. Applied in R2. Is anyone going to the MBA Day Jan. 20th? Looking forward to meeting anyone that is going to be there that day!

If I can get time off work, I plan to attend.

I don't know why I'm still concerned about what my current employer thinks of me. J/K. Never good to burn bridges, but I am afflicted with a severe case of work "senioritis".
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.67
WE: Real Estate (Real Estate)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: McCombs 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2012, 11:21
texasexpat - I totally agree with you about the work senioritis. I haven't even been admitted anywhere yet (I have two interviews coming up--one at McCombs and one at Haas--and just submitted other R2 apps so won't hear about those for a while), but I'm already struggling to keep my focus at work. I just can't wait for this whole process to be over!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3
WE: Engineering (Other)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 7

Re: McCombs 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2012, 12:15
Hi

I'm a R2 applicant, interviewing on-campus on Feb 2. Did anyone opt for the class visit and if you did, please share your experience and how it tied into the interview process.

Thanks
Re: McCombs 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 20 Jan 2012, 12:15