Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 20:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

McCombs 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 299 [1] , given: 36

Premium Member Reviews Badge
McCombs 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2011, 03:28
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Calling All Texas - McCombs Fall 2012 Applicants!

Detailed Program Information: GMAT Club's Texas - McCombs School Guide

Fall 2012 Application Instructions

Round 1 Deadline: 10/24/2011 | Decision Date: Week of December 19, 2011
Round 2 Deadline: 12/5/2011 | Decision Date: Week of February 20, 2012
Round 3 Deadline: 1/23/2012 | Decision Date: Week of April 9, 2012
Round 4* Deadline: 3/26/2012 | Decision Date: Week of May 14, 2012
* Round 4 is for Domestic applicants only; Round 3 is the final round for International applicants.

Essays

Essay 1: Describe how your professional and personal experiences have led you to pursue an MBA at this time. Please share with us your short and long term goals and why the Texas MBA at McCombs is the program best positioned to help you achieve them. Limit: 900 words

Essay 2: At the McCombs School of Business, we are proud to have an active and diverse student community. What do you consider to be your personal strengths and how have you leveraged them in the past to enrich your work and non-work communities? Limit: 500 words

Optional Essay 1: If your standardized test scores are low or if you have not had coursework in core business subjects (i.e. calculus, microeconomics, statistics, financial accounting), please tell us how you plan to prepare yourself for the quantitative rigor of the MBA curriculum. Limit: 200 words

Optional Essay 2: Please provide any additional information to the Admissions Committee that you believe is important and/or will address any areas of concern that will be beneficial to the committee in considering your application. Limit: 200 words

Recommendation Questions (2 recommenders)
Section I - Questions for the Recommender
  • How do you know the applicant?
  • How long have you known the applicant?
  • LEADERSHIP POTENTIAL - Identify specific personal and professional qualities that demonstrate the leadership potential of the applicant and provide detailed examples to support your recommendations.
  • TEAMWORK - Share your observations of the applicant's ability to be an effective team member and provide detailed examples to support your recommendations.
  • AWARENESS - Through your relationship with the applicant, how open and willing has he/she been to solicit and accept feedback? In your experience, has the applicant been able to handle failures/setbacks in a constructive manner?
  • What weaknesses do you think could impact the applicant's future success?
Section II - Rating Scale
  • Leadership Potential
  • Teamwork/Collaboration
  • Initiative/Motivation
  • Ethics/Integrity
  • Maturity
  • Analytical Skills
Section III - Overall Assessment
  • Please make any additional comments which you think will help in assessing the candidacy of the applicant
  • Please choose one of the following to express your overall assessment of this applicant: Exceptional Candidate (Top 2%), Excellent Candidate (Top 10%),Good Candidate (Top 25%),Average Candidate (Top 50%),Below Average.
Section IV - Upload Letter Option
The admissions committee prefers the online form for recommendations. Uploading a letter of recommendation here is optional. Please also complete the form and ratings above.

Essay Analysis

Detailed Applicant List: Add UT-Austin (McCombs) to Your Profile

McCombs Applicant Summary (Real Time)

Quick Glance: GMAT Club vs. Latest Intake (Class of 2013)

Detailed Applicant List: Add Yourself to This List (add McCombs to your profile)

GMAT Club's Real-time Admissions Statistics

TEXAS MBA - FULL-TIME PROGRAM EVENTS
DATE DAY CITY LOCATION EVENT NAME TIME (CST) REGISTER LINK
NOVEMBER
11/01 Tuesday San Francisco Courtyard by Marriott Downtown (299 Second Street) Texas MBA Roadshow 6:30-8:30pm Register
11/04 Friday Austin On Campus - McCombs School of Business Info Session 1-2pm Register
11/10 - 11/11 Thu/Fri Austin On Campus - McCombs School of Business Womens Forum Two Day Event Register
11/10 Thursday Washington DC Washington Marriott at Metro Center (775 12th Street NW) Inside the MBA Tour 6:30-8:30pm Register
11/11 Friday Austin On Campus - McCombs School of Business Info Session 1-2pm Register
11/12 Saturday NYC GLBT Hilton New York (1335 Avenue of the Americas) Inside the MBA Tour 10:00am-1:00pm Register
11/14 Monday Houston Hotel ZaZa (5701 Main Street) Inside the MBA Tour 6:30-8:30pm Register
11/16 Wednesday Austin Sheraton Austin at the Capitol (701 East 11th Street) Inside the MBA Tour 6:30-8:30pm Register
11/17 Thursday Dallas Hotel Palomar (5300 E. Mockingbird Lane) Inside the MBA Tour 6:30-8:30pm Register
11/18 Friday Austin On Campus - McCombs School of Business Info Session 1-2pm Register
11/21 Monday ONLINE ONLINE Admissions Chat 9am-10am Register
11/21 Monday ONLINE ONLINE Admissions Chat 12-1pm Register
DECEMBER
12/02 Friday Austin On Campus - McCombs School of Business Texas MBA Friday 8am-2pm Register
12/05 Monday New Orleans The Westin- Canal Place (100 Rue Iberville) Inside the MBA Tour 6:30-8:30pm Register
12/07 Wednesday Miami Four Seasons Miami (1435 Brickwell Ave) Inside the MBA Tour 6:30-8:30pm Register
JANUARY
01/05 Monday ONLINE ONLINE Admissions Chat 9am-10am Register
01/05 Monday ONLINE ONLINE Admissions Chat 12-1pm Register
01/10 Tuesday Boston Boston Marriott- Copley Place (110 Huntington Avenue) Inside the MBA Tour 6:30-8:30pm Register
01/12 Thursday NYC The Westin at Times Square (270 West 43rd Street) Inside the MBA Tour 6:30-8:30pm Register
01/17 Tuesday Los Angeles Hotel Palomar (10740 Wilshire Blvd) Inside the MBA Tour 6:30-8:30pm Register
01/18 Wednesday Houston Renaissance Houston Greenway Plaza Hotel (6 Greenway Plaza East) Texas Tour Event 6:30-8:30pm Register
01/19 Thursday San Francisco JW Marriott Union Square Hotel (500 Post Street- corner of Post and Mason) Inside the MBA Tour 6:30-8:30pm Register
01/20 Friday Austin On Campus - McCombs School of Business Texas MBA Friday 8am-2pm Register
01/25 Wednesday Dallas The Park Cities Hilton (5954 Luther Lane) Texas Tour Event 6:30-8:30pm Register
01/26 Thursday Austin Austin Crowne Plaza (6121 NORTH IH 35) Texas Tour Event 6:30-8:30pm Register
01/27 Friday Austin On Campus - McCombs School of Business Info Session 1-2pm Register
FEBRUARY
02/03 Friday Austin On Campus - McCombs School of Business Info Session 1-2pm Register
02/10 Friday Austin On Campus - McCombs School of Business Texas MBA Friday 8am-2pm Register
02/24 Friday Austin On Campus - McCombs School of Business Info Session 1-2pm Register
MARCH
03/23 Friday Austin On Campus - McCombs School of Business Info Session 1-2pm Register
APRIL
04/06 Friday Austin On Campus - McCombs School of Business Info Session 1-2pm Register
04/27 Friday Austin On Campus - McCombs School of Business Info Session 1-2pm Register
MAY
05/04 Friday Austin On Campus - McCombs School of Business Info Session 1-2pm Register

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Last edited by bb on 19 Dec 2011, 06:57, edited 5 times in total.
Added event list
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: University of Texas - Austin (McCombs) - Class of 2014
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [3] , given: 2

Re: McCombs 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2011, 01:14
This post received
KUDOS
Just wanted to make a quick post on some general thoughts...

I've been lurking GMATClub since this February, when I decided to start on the quest to tackle the GMAT. I firmly believe that the advice on this board made it possible for me to jump from 600 to 710.

In addition, this forum has helped keep me (in)sane by knowing the current status of everyone's b-school pursuit, and realizing we're all in the same shoes, just different schools!

If anyone is planning to apply to R3 or R4 at McCombs and needs a fresh set of eyes on their essays, or just general questions on the application, please do PM me, and I'll do my best to help. I am from Texas, and planning on matriculating to McCombs (my first choice) and am not planning to do any R2 apps.

Good luck y'all, from the great state of Texas.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: McCombs class of 2013
WE 1: 8 years Navy
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [2] , given: 5

Re: McCombs 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2011, 20:45
This post received
KUDOS
Hi everyone. I'm a first year student at McCombs, and a member of the McCombs Admissions Committee. I'll be visiting this site as often as I can to answer questions. If you want to reach out to us directly, you can email us at TexasMBA@mccombs.utexas.edu.

Here are some updated stats for the class of 2013:

Class Size: 265
Application Total: ~2,400
Average Age: 28
Average GPA: 3.43
Average Years of Work Experience: 5
Average GMAT: 691

Good luck to everyone on their applications!
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.57
WE: Information Technology (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 10 [2] , given: 1

Re: McCombs 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2011, 07:04
This post received
KUDOS
Update: it seems that they started to send interview invitations...
I've received an email saying "After an initial review of your application, you have been selected for an admissions interview." It looks like an interview invitation to me....
2 KUDOS received
Retired Thread Master
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: McCombs '14 (WL)
GMAT 1: 650 Q35 V45
GPA: 3.72

Kudos [?]: 16 [2] , given: 24

Re: McCombs 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2011, 08:25
This post received
KUDOS
Xiaomu wrote:
Update: it seems that they started to send interview invitations...
I've received an email saying "After an initial review of your application, you have been selected for an admissions interview." It looks like an interview invitation to me....

Sure is, I got one too. Good luck!
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [2] , given: 5

Re: McCombs 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2011, 10:24
This post received
KUDOS
dylanc wrote:
Hi I'm looking to apply in round 2 (which is a big challenge given that there is just a week left). Can someone advise if Mccombs has a specific view on re-applicants? Given that one can establish how much more they have done since the previous application.

Having applied in a previous year is not considered a negative factor in your application. We evaluate your new application on its merits, and in the context of the new applicant pool. Consider giving yourself a fresh start when you approach your reapplication. Think through and reassess the essays, addressing any weak areas in your application. Add new information that may be helpful in the admission process.

All re-applicants are required to complete a new application, new essays, a new resume and pay the application fee. For applications submitted prior to 2011, recommendations are only kept for one year. We strongly suggest submitting new letters of recommendation. Determine if other recommenders may provide a more current, insightful and thorough perspective. If you want to use recommendations from last year's application, please send an email to TexasMBA@mccombs.utexas.edu. Transcripts and test scores do not need to be resubmitted unless you have taken additional course work or improved your score.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 0

Re: McCombs 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2012, 17:31
This post received
KUDOS
inclinedplatform wrote:
luffkin wrote:
2013 McCombs here willing to answer questions within my power.

That's a broad range of topics, but the questions I can't answer are about what your chances of admission or scholarship are.

I'd rather not get too personal with my own story, but I do have a job I plan on taking this summer. I can definitely answer questions more generally about the successes and frustrations of my fellow students (and there's a lot of success, these dudes are smart and accomplished) with the summer job getting process as well as academic, social, etc. questions.

Thank you .

1) Are you an international student ?
How's the scene for international students in the summer placements ? Apart from just the statistics, hows the mood around the campus ? I understand this is very common question but more I learn from people like you the better for me before I come over to McCombs in July/August :)

2) How do you rate the academic study @ McCombs apart from the extra curricular stuff ? How rigorous is it ?

3) Some books to read before coming over to McCombs ?

1. I'm not international but of course have many international friends. Placement depends heavily on industry and location as well as sort of how well you integrate. But already there are plenty of classmates who have their summer jobs lined up as internationals.

2. This is a really tough question to answer. Unlike some places basically all our first semester classes are with the same people. That means a fashion designer is competing with a guy who finished his CFA basic finance class on a curve. If you're CFA guy that makes the class a breeze. If you're the fashion designer you need to take it very seriously to get good grades.

But that brings up another issue: how much do you care about your grades really? Those after consulting will need higher grades than say those who want brand management.

The thing is though that school can take a lot out of you from classes but it's all that stuff that surrounds it that makes it a time crunch: recruiting, all night case competitions, drinking... It takes a toll.

3. Depends on what you did before. If you've never done finance or accounting it sure couldn't hurt to make yourself acquainted with basic concepts. Those classes only go from August to October so there isn't much room for gradually getting it. The good thing is that people here love to help each other out in figuring out material. Not just will help, but actively want to help.

Otherwise read for fun become more interesting. Success in business school from my narrow experience is about connecting with people, be they your classmates or potential employers.

Posted from my mobile device Image
2 KUDOS received
Retired Thread Master

Kudos [?]: 16 [2] , given: 24

Re: McCombs 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2012, 07:43
This post received
KUDOS
Update for those of us on the waitlist (at least those put on the waitlist in R1) - I got an e-mail this morning from the admissions committee with a link to a survey to fill out in order to share any new or relevant information.

The deadline for submission of the survey is Feb 10th and they state that you will have a new decision the week of Feb. 20th (whether it's admission, denial, or an offer to remain on the waitlist). Feb. 20th is also the R2 decision date so it's clear that whatever updates you offer will be compared to all R2 applicants.

Good luck everyone!
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.36
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)

Kudos [?]: 8 [2] , given: 0

Re: McCombs 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2012, 18:09
This post received
KUDOS
prcstnatr wrote:
ericguz wrote:
Got a scholarship. So thankful

Congratulations !
A few questions for you :
1. I'm repeating an earlier question: Are you a R1 or R2 applicant ?
2. Also, I heard that in-state tuition applies to any scholarship recipient, is that true ?
3. Did you already send in the deposit before learning about the scholarship or did you wait ?

Thanks and Good Luck !

1. R1 applicant
2. I think that's true, but I'm not positive because I'm technically a Texas resident still - military
3. I found out about the scholarship a couple days after acceptance and then I sent in my deposit

I hope this helps. Good luck to everyone out there!
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 299 [1] , given: 36

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Texas - McCombs Fall 2012 applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2011, 20:11
This post received
KUDOS
Yup, I saw that today morning, and now I've updated the list of essays.

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 5

Re: McCombs 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2011, 12:42
This post received
KUDOS
CoffeBeans wrote:
Any thoughts about the section "List other graduate schools to which you are applying"??
What does Adcom want to judge from this information?

Hi CoffeBeans,

Many schools do this, and every school that I applied to also asked the same question. It's really just a way for the Admissions Committee to see what other schools the applicants are interested in, since all of the top business schools are competing for the best candidates. It is pretty much just a poll, and should have no effect on the actual admissions decision. Like anything else on your application, I would answer the question completely and truthfully.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: McCombs 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2011, 13:11
This post received
KUDOS
I see what you mean, but I think if your enthusiasm for the program is evident in your essays, you have nothing to worry about. Besides, the school expects that you will probably be applying to other programs. Admissions are very competitive, so just about everyone applies to numerous programs in order to improve their chances of getting into business school.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.57
WE: Information Technology (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 1

Re: McCombs 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2011, 12:17
This post received
KUDOS
Prabhakar wrote:
O'boy, I'm bummed out by the whole Mastercard/American Express payment bit - anyone know when's the last date for clearing the application fee?

Gotta try and secure a mastercard asap - would appreciate your insight on this brothersharp. Thanks! :)

I think the instruction said it must be paid within 5 business days of application submission...
Acutually I bought a $200 Vanilla prepaid MasterCard giftcard from a 7eleven store and it seems to work perfectly (so far...), my status at UT was turned to PAID within 60min of making that purchase.
Check MasterCard's website. It is very likely that you can find a similar giftcard somewhere in some convenient store nearby....
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: McCombs 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2011, 18:53
This post received
KUDOS
Hi everybody,

I hope the application process is going well for everyone. And for those of you who have already submitted for round 1, good luck!

I just wanted to let you all know that the 2011 Texas MBA Women's Forum will be held from November 10-11 in Austin. The application is live, and the deadline is November 4. Please take a look and apply if you are interested.

http://blogs.mccombs.utexas.edu/mba-ins ... ens-forum/
1 KUDOS received
Retired Thread Master

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 24

Re: McCombs 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2011, 12:19
This post received
KUDOS
CoffeBeans wrote:
Anybody here got the mail from GIAC for transcript submission?

I got it a couple days after I submitted my application. After I uploaded my transcript it showed up under the "Done" heading on the My Status page.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 2

Re: McCombs 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2011, 08:51
This post received
KUDOS
The Round 1 submission e-mail from the Admissions Office said that the applications will be audited and those with missing materials would be notified on 11-7. Given that the 7th is the completion of the first review, I would guess we would see something in the next week or two? But then again, this is all conjecture. Hopefully we'll get something before Thanksgiving, that's for sure.

Last edited by texasexpat on 07 Nov 2011, 06:43, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: McCombs 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2011, 11:18
This post received
KUDOS
I received an e-mail soon after I first submitted my application with the instructions to upload to GIAC after payment of my fee.

Being the nervous wreck I was, I kept signing into GIAC, which presented me with the opportunity to upload, I believe, the day after I submitted my application fee.

I would sign into GIAC and check. For me it says "Complete" and that my file has been forwarded to the graduate committee for review. I called GIAC last week in regards to another question, they are very helpful. You should give them a shout if you have questions.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 27

Re: McCombs 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2011, 11:35
This post received
KUDOS
backliteyes wrote:
Prabhakar wrote:
Did UT send you a GIAC login? I haven't received anything regarding Transcripts from UT after the payment process..

After I submitted the application UT sent me an e-mail including a link to the GIAC myStatus page. You use your UT EID username/password (the same one you used for the application)

Prabhakar wrote:
This is confusing indeed - why do we need to upload our transcripts twice in the first place? Didn't we submit them along with the application already? :shock:

It looks like the McCombs online application is not integrated with the overall GIAC system that verifies transcripts, test scores and application fees for all graduate admissions. It would be nice if that was transparent to applicants and we only had to upload things once, but that's just how the process is.

Ah, thanks buddy, got it! For those who're still lost, login from here using your EID:
https://utdirect.utexas.edu/apps/adm/mystatus/

And also, is anyone else waiting for their official score reports to be loaded into the GIAC panel? MBA.com states my scores have been reported to UT on October 18th itself...but GIAC says it has not received my scores yet. (I'll be calling up GIAC 2mrw to inquire on this..)
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: McCombs 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2011, 07:09
This post received
KUDOS
The admissions office has said that invitations are released throughout the round, and can arrive at any time. Considering that the decision date is the week of December 19th, I wouldn't give up hope yet. The decision week is still a little over three weeks away.
1 KUDOS received
Retired Thread Master

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 24

Re: McCombs 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2011, 21:58
This post received
KUDOS
vinaynp wrote:
Is the interview blind?

This might be too late to help you, maybe some later R1 interviews and people from R2 can benefit from this - the interviews are blind. The head of the admissions committee announced this to the Women's Forum group so I don't think it's a secret - a lot of schools do it that way so it's pretty standard.

My interview was even more blind than I was expecting, my interviewer hadn't seen my resume. He explained that the admissions committee thought it was more fair that way, that the interview is a second opinion on you (that is unbiased by having already reviewed your application) from someone that knows the program about as well as anyone (a 2nd-year student if you interview on campus). They're basically trying to assess whether they think you're a good fit, whether they can easily see you fitting in to what they know are the culture and demands of the program.

Good luck to everyone that has yet to interview for R1, and all you R2 people that have your deadline coming up! And for those of us waiting for decision week, just try not to dwell on it. :-D

PS: Don't forget to update your profiles to reflect whether you've applied, received an interview invite, interviewed, etc. The stats at the beginning of the thread are only interesting to the extent that they're accurate.
Re: McCombs 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 30 Nov 2011, 21:58