Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Apr 2014, 20:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all the Harvard Gurus - Fall'08

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 12 Nov 2006
Posts: 469
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2007, 06:39
Hi Yall

Just working furiously on my HBS app for R2. Couple quick questions:

1) official GMAT and Transcript...when do they have to be sent it? by deadline? upon interview invite? or only after admit offer is made? I remember last year was after admit only, but not sure about this year.

2) Any ideas for the "what have you learned from a mistake" essay?? Geez that's so broad.

Thanks yall.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2006
Posts: 1124
Schools: Chicago Booth
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2007, 06:45
aceman626 wrote:

2) Any ideas for the "what have you learned from a mistake" essay?? Geez that's so broad.



Accepted.com:

Quote:
New question. People of initiative err. They must learn from those mistakes to be effective leaders.
A friend this week went to her daughter's graduation and quoted the valedictory address, "In school you learn lessons and then take tests. In life, you have tests and then learn lessons." If you view your mistakes as experiments, lessons, or tests, you can grow and make sure you don't repeat them. Show HBS through this essay that you are the kind of person who learns from your mistakes.
Again, try to have this question show you making your mistake, preferably in a leadership capacity, and applying those lessons in a sphere of your life not covered by the examples in essay 1 or (ideally) the other essays. In the best HBS applications, each essay uncovers a different facet of the applicant and his or her experience. Together they paint an entire portrait of a dynamic, talented leader with initiative and exceptional ability.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 12 Nov 2006
Posts: 469
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2007, 08:18
helg wrote:
aceman626 wrote:

2) Any ideas for the "what have you learned from a mistake" essay?? Geez that's so broad.



Accepted.com:

Quote:
New question. People of initiative err. They must learn from those mistakes to be effective leaders.
A friend this week went to her daughter's graduation and quoted the valedictory address, "In school you learn lessons and then take tests. In life, you have tests and then learn lessons." If you view your mistakes as experiments, lessons, or tests, you can grow and make sure you don't repeat them. Show HBS through this essay that you are the kind of person who learns from your mistakes.
Again, try to have this question show you making your mistake, preferably in a leadership capacity, and applying those lessons in a sphere of your life not covered by the examples in essay 1 or (ideally) the other essays. In the best HBS applications, each essay uncovers a different facet of the applicant and his or her experience. Together they paint an entire portrait of a dynamic, talented leader with initiative and exceptional ability.


Cool thanks, i just finished that essay. Wasn't too bad, used some material from other schools. Anyway, any idea on the GMAT and Transcripts?
Director
Director
Joined: 28 Dec 2005
Posts: 922
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2007, 08:21
yes, I emailed them about the GMAT. This is the response I got.

In order for your application to be considered complete, you must submit the
unofficial scores in the online application and have the official scores
sent to HBS.
The official scores may arrive after the deadline dates. The official
scores, including the AWA scores, are reviewed by the Admissions Board.
There is no minimum GMAT score required for admission.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2006
Posts: 1124
Schools: Chicago Booth
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2007, 08:21
aceman626 wrote:
Hi Yall

Just working furiously on my HBS app for R2. Couple quick questions:

1) official GMAT and Transcript...when do they have to be sent it? by deadline? upon interview invite? or only after admit offer is made? I remember last year was after admit only, but not sure about this year.


Official GMAT score - I believe should be in by app deadline, official transcripts - when admitted.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 12 Nov 2006
Posts: 469
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2007, 09:11
helg wrote:
aceman626 wrote:
Hi Yall

Just working furiously on my HBS app for R2. Couple quick questions:

1) official GMAT and Transcript...when do they have to be sent it? by deadline? upon interview invite? or only after admit offer is made? I remember last year was after admit only, but not sure about this year.


Official GMAT score - I believe should be in by app deadline, official transcripts - when admitted.


According to the previous poster, the GMAT can be sent later, as long as it arrives at some point before they make a decision. Correct?
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2006
Posts: 1124
Schools: Chicago Booth
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2007, 09:17
aceman626 wrote:
helg wrote:
aceman626 wrote:
Hi Yall

Just working furiously on my HBS app for R2. Couple quick questions:

1) official GMAT and Transcript...when do they have to be sent it? by deadline? upon interview invite? or only after admit offer is made? I remember last year was after admit only, but not sure about this year.


Official GMAT score - I believe should be in by app deadline, official transcripts - when admitted.


According to the previous poster, the GMAT can be sent later, as long as it arrives at some point before they make a decision. Correct?


Well, I cannot argue with the AdCom's reply :)
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2007
Posts: 192
Schools: MIT
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2007, 22:18
In the interview, when asked where else I applied, I made an almost fervent pitch for a great program at another school :-D

Grrrr
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 12 Nov 2006
Posts: 469
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2007, 06:21
helg wrote:
aceman626 wrote:
helg wrote:
aceman626 wrote:
Hi Yall

Just working furiously on my HBS app for R2. Couple quick questions:

1) official GMAT and Transcript...when do they have to be sent it? by deadline? upon interview invite? or only after admit offer is made? I remember last year was after admit only, but not sure about this year.


Official GMAT score - I believe should be in by app deadline, official transcripts - when admitted.


According to the previous poster, the GMAT can be sent later, as long as it arrives at some point before they make a decision. Correct?


Well, I cannot argue with the AdCom's reply :)


cool, anyone know about Transcript? The websit esays:

"There are two ways to submit your transcript, either through a self-reporting Excel-based transcript form found within the application or uploading a scanned transcript. Please do not mail a hard copy of your transcript."

What do they mean do not sent the transcript??? They have to verify it don't they? Shouldn't they add the phrase "until you get accepted" at the end???
Manager
Manager
Joined: 30 Aug 2007
Posts: 65
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2007, 11:28
aceman626 wrote:
helg wrote:
aceman626 wrote:
helg wrote:
aceman626 wrote:
Hi Yall

Just working furiously on my HBS app for R2. Couple quick questions:

1) official GMAT and Transcript...when do they have to be sent it? by deadline? upon interview invite? or only after admit offer is made? I remember last year was after admit only, but not sure about this year.


Official GMAT score - I believe should be in by app deadline, official transcripts - when admitted.


According to the previous poster, the GMAT can be sent later, as long as it arrives at some point before they make a decision. Correct?


Well, I cannot argue with the AdCom's reply :)


cool, anyone know about Transcript? The websit esays:

"There are two ways to submit your transcript, either through a self-reporting Excel-based transcript form found within the application or uploading a scanned transcript. Please do not mail a hard copy of your transcript."

What do they mean do not sent the transcript??? They have to verify it don't they? Shouldn't they add the phrase "until you get accepted" at the end???



maybe you shouldnt worry about it until after you're accepted. unless of course you used some creative numbers in your transcript :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 12 Nov 2006
Posts: 469
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2007, 12:01
dextrous wrote:
aceman626 wrote:
helg wrote:
aceman626 wrote:
helg wrote:
aceman626 wrote:
Hi Yall

Just working furiously on my HBS app for R2. Couple quick questions:

1) official GMAT and Transcript...when do they have to be sent it? by deadline? upon interview invite? or only after admit offer is made? I remember last year was after admit only, but not sure about this year.


Official GMAT score - I believe should be in by app deadline, official transcripts - when admitted.


According to the previous poster, the GMAT can be sent later, as long as it arrives at some point before they make a decision. Correct?


Well, I cannot argue with the AdCom's reply :)


cool, anyone know about Transcript? The websit esays:

"There are two ways to submit your transcript, either through a self-reporting Excel-based transcript form found within the application or uploading a scanned transcript. Please do not mail a hard copy of your transcript."

What do they mean do not sent the transcript??? They have to verify it don't they? Shouldn't they add the phrase "until you get accepted" at the end???



maybe you shouldnt worry about it until after you're accepted. unless of course you used some creative numbers in your transcript :-D


I am not sure what you're implying, but figuring out when to send the transcript is pretty standard procedure for every school's application.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 27 Jun 2007
Posts: 241
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2007, 03:45
R1 HBS Gurus need help.

What was the length of your LOR's for R1?? As in it is not meant to exceed 1 page ........but i dont think my recommender is that concise. Is it acceptable for him to submit a 2 page reco??
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2007
Posts: 192
Schools: MIT
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2007, 03:52
sangoman wrote:
R1 HBS Gurus need help.

What was the length of your LOR's for R1?? As in it is not meant to exceed 1 page ........but i dont think my recommender is that concise. Is it acceptable for him to submit a 2 page reco??


If I remember correctly, it's 3 questions with a limit of 250 words for each.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 31 Oct 2007
Posts: 242
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2007, 13:21
This may be covered earlier in this thread or elsewhere (I have not read the entire thead), so my apologies if these questions are old news:

I completed my R2 Harvard app last night (what a biatch this app is compared to other m7 schools!), and I realized today that I didn't include any info. on "Why HBS." That being said, HBS doesn't exactly ask for why HBS, probably because they already know (it's frigging HBS, what else do you need to know?). Further, I don't really have any space in the pathetic 400 word count essays that they provide. I thought about trying to have one of my reccos squeeze in a comment about why HBS specifically would be a good for me, but no room there either. Basically, I hate this application. lol :-D

Questions:

1) Are people addressing the why HBS question?

2) Since HBS gives such tiny word limits, it's hard to paint much of a picture of anything. I assume that means they are judging people based on stats more so than comparable schools. My strategy has been to hammer on anything and everything I have related to leadership (a lot, actually) and basically ignore everything else that can easily be listed elsewhere -- I guess my academic accomplishments / non-leadership ECs, etc. will have to speak for themselves. Any thoughts here?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 29 Dec 2006
Posts: 214
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2007, 15:00
sudden wrote:
Questions:

1) Are people addressing the why HBS question?

2) Since HBS gives such tiny word limits, it's hard to paint much of a picture of anything. I assume that means they are judging people based on stats more so than comparable schools. My strategy has been to hammer on anything and everything I have related to leadership (a lot, actually) and basically ignore everything else that can easily be listed elsewhere -- I guess my academic accomplishments / non-leadership ECs, etc. will have to speak for themselves. Any thoughts here?


1) I did address the why HBS question in my essays. I think I worked it in with the last essay, about my future career goals and how HBS will help me out. I actually got pretty specific and mentioned how I was looking forward to a lot of their strategy classes even though I want to enter corp finance.

2) Because of the tiny word limits, I had minimal space to create smooth transitions. Looking back now, my essays are a little choppy but still got the main points across. You will just have to decide what information takes priority and how detailed you need to get.

I suggest that you emphasize activities that show leadership ability, HBS doesn't want to touch you if you don't. More than any other school, HBS is about educating leaders, not developing them. For my essays, I made sure that each and every story tied into attributes I believe are necessary to be a successful leader.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2007
Posts: 192
Schools: MIT
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2007, 18:37
sudden wrote:
This may be covered earlier in this thread or elsewhere (I have not read the entire thead), so my apologies if these questions are old news:

I completed my R2 Harvard app last night (what a biatch this app is compared to other m7 schools!), and I realized today that I didn't include any info. on "Why HBS." That being said, HBS doesn't exactly ask for why HBS, probably because they already know (it's frigging HBS, what else do you need to know?). Further, I don't really have any space in the pathetic 400 word count essays that they provide. I thought about trying to have one of my reccos squeeze in a comment about why HBS specifically would be a good for me, but no room there either. Basically, I hate this application. lol :-D

Questions:

1) Are people addressing the why HBS question?

2) Since HBS gives such tiny word limits, it's hard to paint much of a picture of anything. I assume that means they are judging people based on stats more so than comparable schools. My strategy has been to hammer on anything and everything I have related to leadership (a lot, actually) and basically ignore everything else that can easily be listed elsewhere -- I guess my academic accomplishments / non-leadership ECs, etc. will have to speak for themselves. Any thoughts here?


I didn't
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2007
Posts: 192
Schools: MIT
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2007, 18:38
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 12 Nov 2006
Posts: 469
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all the Harvard Gurus - Fall'08 [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2008, 07:37
Hey all, a pretty urgent question here.

I am trying to submit HBS for R2, and pretty much done with app. However, one of my recommenders still hasn't submitted, and he's out of town. Crap. I definitely want to make the R2 deadline for sure.

Do you think if I submit on time, but one rec comes in a couple days later, if they will still accept it in R2?

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2007
Posts: 192
Schools: MIT
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all the Harvard Gurus - Fall'08 [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2008, 08:01
aceman626 wrote:
Hey all, a pretty urgent question here.

I am trying to submit HBS for R2, and pretty much done with app. However, one of my recommenders still hasn't submitted, and he's out of town. Crap. I definitely want to make the R2 deadline for sure.

Do you think if I submit on time, but one rec comes in a couple days later, if they will still accept it in R2?

Thanks.


None of us can say for sure. My guess is that might not, but your best bet would be to submit soon anyway.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 22 Apr 2007
Posts: 1097
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all the Harvard Gurus - Fall'08 [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2008, 10:22
Although you should ask the adcom, my guess is that they may not consider you for R2. Today, you should spend all your energy in finding out where the recommender is .. and not face the potential problems.
Re: Calling all the Harvard Gurus - Fall'08   [#permalink] 02 Jan 2008, 10:22
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Popular new posts MEMO: To All Those Applying To Begin Fall 08 johnnyx9 22 03 Apr 2007, 04:33
Popular new posts 23 Calling all Kellogg Fall'08 applicants grad_mba 1984 26 Jul 2007, 15:15
New posts Calling all BYU Fall '08 applicants kavet83 9 15 Aug 2007, 17:56
New posts Calling all Maths Gurus Vavali 1 30 Mar 2008, 05:06
Moved topic 19 Calling all the Harvard Gurus - Fall'08 grad_mba 582 02 Aug 2007, 21:36
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling all the Harvard Gurus - Fall'08

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  13   14   15   16   17   18   19  ...  30    Next  [ 583 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.