Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 13:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all the Harvard Gurus - Fall'08

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Schools: Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 4

[#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2007, 06:33
kripalkavi wrote:
Ok, the HBS website says this:

HBS Website wrote:
GMAT

All applicants are required to take the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) before applying and must self-report test scores on the application form. Please keep in mind:

* An application will not be reviewed if GMAT scores are not included.
* Applicants may elect to take the GMAT more than once; however, GMAT scores from only one test date will be considered.
* Once an application has been submitted, applicants may not change the GMAT scores that will be considered.
* GMAT scores from tests taken before January 1, 2002 will not be accepted.

Every applicant must also request that Pearson send an official score report directly to HBS.

* The Harvard Business School Pearson code number is HRLX892.
* If you previously submitted your GMAT scores to HBS, please self-report your scores in your application. Your scores are on file with our office and there is no need to request an official score report.

Does this mean that I'll have to send them my official scores before the application deadline or after the application deadline in case I get selected?

Based on the highlighted text, I think you need to arrange for official GMAT scores before deadline. Along with that you must report your scores in application. As you know in HBS application, they ask us to mention which score to consider. In the case of people who took GMAT more than once this information might be helpful to HBS. Is that the reason they are asking for self-reporting along with official GMAT scores?

Last edited by aurobindo on 18 Sep 2007, 03:01, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2007, 15:43
OK, I need some advice on the Culture Shock essay.

Right now most of my essays are about my experiences from work and how they have influenced where I want to go in the future. I only spend 1/3 of an essay talking about stuff outside work and another essay is about future career goals. I am teetering on which culture shock story to discuss. I originally wrote an essay talking about my first trip to China for work and how it was an eye opening experience. I think it shows more of my international experience, but I also touch on that in the other essays. Now I am thinking about changing that essay to tutoring inner city kids, and the culture shock I experienced working with them. I thought it would show another side of me and my giving back to the community. The China trip essay slightly hints on how I want to work in a global setting in the future, but I haven't really figured out how to tie the tutoring into what I want to do in the future, except for giving back and continuing community involvement.

Which story do you think I should concentrate on?
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2007, 03:06
forcefeed wrote:
OK, I need some advice on the Culture Shock essay.

Right now most of my essays are about my experiences from work and how they have influenced where I want to go in the future. I only spend 1/3 of an essay talking about stuff outside work and another essay is about future career goals. I am teetering on which culture shock story to discuss. I originally wrote an essay talking about my first trip to China for work and how it was an eye opening experience. I think it shows more of my international experience, but I also touch on that in the other essays. Now I am thinking about changing that essay to tutoring inner city kids, and the culture shock I experienced working with them. I thought it would show another side of me and my giving back to the community. The China trip essay slightly hints on how I want to work in a global setting in the future, but I haven't really figured out how to tie the tutoring into what I want to do in the future, except for giving back and continuing community involvement.

Which story do you think I should concentrate on?

I think you should focus on China experience. In my opinion, culture shock comes into picture when we are exposed to a different culture. Inner city kids could be living in a different environment but need not be from a different cultural background. I think they are from a different socio economic background.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Font Size [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2007, 03:48
HBS asks the recommendors to write only 1 page recos. In this case, which font and size should be used by the recomendors?
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: Font Size [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2007, 03:56
abhishek.sardana wrote:
HBS asks the recommendors to write only 1 page recos. In this case, which font and size should be used by the recomendors?

Are you talking about the paper recommendation? think that the online recommendation is a little more extensive (multiple choice questions and 3 essays)
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2007, 04:52
Wrote my global issue essay last night, the last one I needed to do. It is terrrrrrrrible. I think I might have to pick one of the other choices. Ugh.
Director
Director

Re: Font Size [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2007, 04:57
kripalkavi wrote:
abhishek.sardana wrote:

Are you talking about the paper recommendation? think that the online recommendation is a little more extensive (multiple choice questions and 3 essays)

how do u know ? :wink:
Manager
Manager

Re: Font Size [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2007, 05:42
kripalkavi wrote:
abhishek.sardana wrote:

I am talking about the online recos only. They have notified "recommendations larger than 1 page are discouraged".
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2007, 06:07
I showed my essays to one of my colleagues and his comment on the career vision was the following - I have talked about things in terms of how I want to start in an investment management position and then grow and open my firm. From then on, I talk about my firm's placement in the market and how I believe it can really stand out. So, his comment is when the essay is asking you to talk about *your* work in the company and not what the company will do.

I am a little confused. Any suggestions?
VP
VP

Re: Font Size [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2007, 06:41
aurobindo wrote:
kripalkavi wrote:
abhishek.sardana wrote:

how do u know ? :wink:

The recommender essay questions are available here:
http://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/writtenapplication.html
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2007, 06:49
saurabh357 wrote:
I showed my essays to one of my colleagues and his comment on the career vision was the following - I have talked about things in terms of how I want to start in an investment management position and then grow and open my firm. From then on, I talk about my firm's placement in the market and how I believe it can really stand out. So, his comment is when the essay is asking you to talk about *your* work in the company and not what the company will do.

Honestly, I think that you are fine. You already know how you want your company to shape out and you even seem to have narrowed down on your USPs. I think that's pretty fantastic. If you establish your own company, your job is going to be to well...run it. I don't think you need to be telling ad-com how exactly you intend to do that. On the other hand, if you were talking about *joining* an established firm and then working your way up, then I guess what you intend to do inside the organization needs to be outlined. Just my thoughts...
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2007, 11:18
Well, guys, I have recently passed my TOEFL and have to wait for the score. During HBS's application I found this note: "The MBA Admissions Board discourages any candidate with a TOEFL score lower than 267 on the CBT or 109 on the IBT from applying."

What if I get 107 or 108 on my TOEFL? Shall I apply in R1 or retake it and apply in R2? :) The schools seem to have draconian rules for TOEFL but not for GMAT that has a range of scores (not minimum score) :P
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2007, 00:36
Believe me, if you know passable English, getting a score a score above 109 in IBT should be a no brainer...I wouldnt worry if I were you
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2007, 00:45
saurabh357 wrote:
Believe me, if you know passable English, getting a score a score above 109 in IBT should be a no brainer...I wouldnt worry if I were you

Ok. Thank you. :oops:
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2007, 00:58
The Essay No.2 asks about what I have learnt from a mistake. I have a very good lesson but it is somehow connected with a death experience. Will this topic be off-limits or too personal. I know that a rule of thumb is that if it's inappropriate for dinner-party conversation, it probably doesn't belong in my essay. What do you think?
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2007, 01:06
nick_sun wrote:
The Essay No.2 asks about what I have learnt from a mistake. I have a very good lesson but it is somehow connected with a death experience. Will this topic be off-limits or too personal. I know that a rule of thumb is that if it's inappropriate for dinner-party conversation, it probably doesn't belong in my essay. What do you think?

Hmmm....I don't really agree with your 'Rule of Thumb'. I think certain personal details/experiences *can* go into the essay. Then again, it depends on whether you are comfortable putting them in your essay.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2007, 07:46
nick_sun wrote:

Is learning some way related to success in life? I wonder whether HBS would be interested in our learnings in other contexts.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2007, 08:10
aurobindo wrote:
nick_sun wrote:

Is learning some way related to success in life? I wonder whether HBS would be interested in our learnings in other contexts.

It is hard to guess what will interest an adcom member in an essay and what will not. I would suggest you read your own essay and decide how you would feel if you were an adcom member (they are human too, and I doubt there is any extensive training to become adcom member). If you really like it it, you have a chance. If you sounds so so, you need to improve. If you don't like it yourself, take professional help ;-)

BTW, I'm not applying anywhere this year, because HBS is the top school for me and I feel i am not prepared enough to apply (Still feel my essays are so so, and that there is a limit on how much words can help, so working towards making the profile better) , though I'm done with GMAT (760) and have experience too.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2007, 08:18
hbs.aspirant wrote:
aurobindo wrote:
nick_sun wrote:

It is hard to guess what will interest an adcom member in an essay and what will not. I would suggest you read your own essay and decide how you would feel if you were an adcom member (they are human too, and I doubt there is any extensive training to become adcom member). If you really like it it, you have a chance. If you sounds so so, you need to improve. If you don't like it yourself, take professional help ;-)

BTW, I'm not applying anywhere this year, because HBS is the top school for me and I feel i am not prepared enough to apply (Still feel my essays are so so, and that there is a limit on how much words can help, so working towards making the profile better) , though I'm done with GMAT (760) and have experience too.

I admire your approach about making profile better and then applying.

Yesterday, I was hearing a podcast in which HBS admissions MD was interviewed. The interviewer asked her, "Is there any right time to apply for MBA?"

I felt MD did not have an answer for that. She reframed the question to wrong time, and kept on saying when is the wrong time to apply.

That made me wonder, whether there is any right time to apply. IMHO, getting admission in a b-school is more of taking advantage of the present. Yes. For freshers it is a different ball game altogether.
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2007, 13:42
saurabh357 wrote:

I think he's suggesting you discuss a little more the types of roles you would like and less the type of industries. Just for the record, I'm neither agreeing or disagreeing with his comments, just traslating what he may have meant.

L.
  [#permalink] 19 Sep 2007, 13:42