Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 08:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all the Harvard Gurus - Fall'08

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2007, 15:22
grad_mba wrote:
aceman626 wrote:
Hi folks, I still haven't decided to apply to HBS or not. If I do, I'm wondering whether it should be R1 or R2. I heard that for R1, it's all super high GMAT/GPAs from ibanks/consulting firms. So it might be better for more mediocre (stats wise), but unique applicants to apply R2?

Currently leaning towards R2, it wouldn't be detrimental would it?

Yes, I have heard about the 'super stats' syndrome in R1 too.
Here is how I see it -

R1 - Great stats / fewer applicants
R2 - 'Mediocre stats' (depends on the school) / way too many applicants

So if you think you are unique, you can take the adv of applying early esp when HBS has all its 900 seats at its disposal. They sure will be bored of the stereotypical 'super stats' and have a good eye for the uniqueness factor. atleast I hope :)

I tend to agree with this. I have more mediocre stats but have somewhat unique job experience, goals, and personal experiences so I'm gonna do R1. We'll see....
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2007, 19:54
Saw this posted on the BW forums, it certainly didn't make me feel hopeful.

http://www.yepic.com/index.php?module=r ... ticleID=22

I hope that guy's wrong, otherwise I am doomed before I even get started because I didn't start preparing at age 14. Ya, he says during undergrad, but to get into a top undergrad program like he mentions, you probably need to start early in highschool.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 14

[#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2007, 21:01
bherronp, just remember that's ONE person's experience of getting into Harvard and other top schools. Just like each top-school's class profile, EVERYONE is different and will come from very different backgrounds and levels of preparation.

I've talked with Stanford admits who started his essays and took his GMAT 3-4 weeks before the R1 deadline, and Stanford "dings" who prepared months and years in advance. Some people have the raw talent and ability, others compensate by hard work. Some know their career goals from undergrad, others fall into the b-school track later on in life. All of these people will be represented in the diverse class of a top school, so you need not worry too much about how much preparation you did or how early you started.

Granted, everything else the guy said is pretty true about what they look for, but not everyone will be on the board of a non-profit organization from the get go, just like not everyone would have hiked Mt. Everest or got an Olympic gold medal in track and field.

Just do your best, present YOUR story in the best light possible, be yourself, and let the pieces fall together however they do. :-D
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2007, 03:48
Its less than a month left for the deadline.Has anyone sumbited the HBS application?

I am still stuck with the Columbia application, which I had planned to have submitted 3 weeks back!

Not sure if i will be bale to make it in this round.

In one else in the same boat?
Director
Director
Schools: MIT Sloan
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2007, 01:09
ab wrote:
Its less than a month left for the deadline.Has anyone sumbited the HBS application?

I am still stuck with the Columbia application, which I had planned to have submitted 3 weeks back!

Nice to meet you. I am tha Captain of your boat :)
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2007, 05:25
grad_mba wrote:
ab wrote:

And I'm the first mate :) Really worried about my recommenders finishing on time...
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2007, 05:29
I haven't submitted the application yet.

I've filled most of it out, and have finished all but one essay.

I am going to spend this weekend editing the application and finishing up the essay.

I am also worried about my recommenders, none of them have started yet...if they still haven't in a week, I will call them and see what's up...
Director
Director
Schools: MIT Sloan
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2007, 15:24
Interestingly, I dont find a slot that asks for Graduate GPA ! Am I missing something?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2007, 10:25
kripalkavi wrote:
grad_mba wrote:
ab wrote:

And I'm the first mate :) Really worried about my recommenders finishing on time...

I am in the same boat. And agree, the recommenders are the Threat No.1 to the timely applications :) Has anyone taken his recommenders out for a cup of tea? :-D
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Schools: Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 4

[#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2007, 04:56
7 of 11 recos are done :)
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2007, 06:05
Ok, the HBS website says this:

HBS Website wrote:
GMAT

All applicants are required to take the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) before applying and must self-report test scores on the application form. Please keep in mind:

* An application will not be reviewed if GMAT scores are not included.
* Applicants may elect to take the GMAT more than once; however, GMAT scores from only one test date will be considered.
* Once an application has been submitted, applicants may not change the GMAT scores that will be considered.
* GMAT scores from tests taken before January 1, 2002 will not be accepted.

Every applicant must also request that Pearson send an official score report directly to HBS.

* The Harvard Business School Pearson code number is HRLX892.
* If you previously submitted your GMAT scores to HBS, please self-report your scores in your application. Your scores are on file with our office and there is no need to request an official score report.

Does this mean that I'll have to send them my official scores before the application deadline or after the application deadline in case I get selected?
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2007, 06:33
kripalkavi wrote:
Ok, the HBS website says this:

HBS Website wrote:
GMAT

All applicants are required to take the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) before applying and must self-report test scores on the application form. Please keep in mind:

* An application will not be reviewed if GMAT scores are not included.
* Applicants may elect to take the GMAT more than once; however, GMAT scores from only one test date will be considered.
* Once an application has been submitted, applicants may not change the GMAT scores that will be considered.
* GMAT scores from tests taken before January 1, 2002 will not be accepted.

Every applicant must also request that Pearson send an official score report directly to HBS.

* The Harvard Business School Pearson code number is HRLX892.
* If you previously submitted your GMAT scores to HBS, please self-report your scores in your application. Your scores are on file with our office and there is no need to request an official score report.

Does this mean that I'll have to send them my official scores before the application deadline or after the application deadline in case I get selected?

Based on the highlighted text, I think you need to arrange for official GMAT scores before deadline. Along with that you must report your scores in application. As you know in HBS application, they ask us to mention which score to consider. In the case of people who took GMAT more than once this information might be helpful to HBS. Is that the reason they are asking for self-reporting along with official GMAT scores?

Last edited by aurobindo on 18 Sep 2007, 03:01, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2007, 15:43
OK, I need some advice on the Culture Shock essay.

Right now most of my essays are about my experiences from work and how they have influenced where I want to go in the future. I only spend 1/3 of an essay talking about stuff outside work and another essay is about future career goals. I am teetering on which culture shock story to discuss. I originally wrote an essay talking about my first trip to China for work and how it was an eye opening experience. I think it shows more of my international experience, but I also touch on that in the other essays. Now I am thinking about changing that essay to tutoring inner city kids, and the culture shock I experienced working with them. I thought it would show another side of me and my giving back to the community. The China trip essay slightly hints on how I want to work in a global setting in the future, but I haven't really figured out how to tie the tutoring into what I want to do in the future, except for giving back and continuing community involvement.

Which story do you think I should concentrate on?
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2007, 03:06
forcefeed wrote:
OK, I need some advice on the Culture Shock essay.

Right now most of my essays are about my experiences from work and how they have influenced where I want to go in the future. I only spend 1/3 of an essay talking about stuff outside work and another essay is about future career goals. I am teetering on which culture shock story to discuss. I originally wrote an essay talking about my first trip to China for work and how it was an eye opening experience. I think it shows more of my international experience, but I also touch on that in the other essays. Now I am thinking about changing that essay to tutoring inner city kids, and the culture shock I experienced working with them. I thought it would show another side of me and my giving back to the community. The China trip essay slightly hints on how I want to work in a global setting in the future, but I haven't really figured out how to tie the tutoring into what I want to do in the future, except for giving back and continuing community involvement.

Which story do you think I should concentrate on?

I think you should focus on China experience. In my opinion, culture shock comes into picture when we are exposed to a different culture. Inner city kids could be living in a different environment but need not be from a different cultural background. I think they are from a different socio economic background.
Manager
Manager

Font Size [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2007, 03:48
HBS asks the recommendors to write only 1 page recos. In this case, which font and size should be used by the recomendors?
VP
VP

Re: Font Size [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2007, 03:56
abhishek.sardana wrote:
HBS asks the recommendors to write only 1 page recos. In this case, which font and size should be used by the recomendors?

Are you talking about the paper recommendation? think that the online recommendation is a little more extensive (multiple choice questions and 3 essays)
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2007, 04:52
Wrote my global issue essay last night, the last one I needed to do. It is terrrrrrrrible. I think I might have to pick one of the other choices. Ugh.
Director
Director

Re: Font Size [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2007, 04:57
kripalkavi wrote:
abhishek.sardana wrote:

Are you talking about the paper recommendation? think that the online recommendation is a little more extensive (multiple choice questions and 3 essays)

how do u know ? :wink:
Manager
Manager

Re: Font Size [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2007, 05:42
kripalkavi wrote:
abhishek.sardana wrote:

I am talking about the online recos only. They have notified "recommendations larger than 1 page are discouraged".
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2007, 06:07
I showed my essays to one of my colleagues and his comment on the career vision was the following - I have talked about things in terms of how I want to start in an investment management position and then grow and open my firm. From then on, I talk about my firm's placement in the market and how I believe it can really stand out. So, his comment is when the essay is asking you to talk about *your* work in the company and not what the company will do.

I am a little confused. Any suggestions?
  [#permalink] 18 Sep 2007, 06:07