Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 00:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Toronto Rotman 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: UNC Kenan Flagler, Tepper, McCombs, Rotman
WE 1: IT Consulting
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Toronto Rotman 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2012, 12:41
KP86 wrote:
mba22 wrote:
Got acceptance letter today.. yippiee.. first acceptance of the cycle.. but no scholarship !! is Rotman worth 100K ? any suggestions..?

congrats on the admit.

The best person to answer your question is you. Just be aware of all the factors before you decide, including the post MBA tax decdcution facility in Canada, prioritise them and then see whether what you are saving is worth it in the long run.

deadlycat: dont you think Rotman is stronger than Schulich in certain domains (finance, consulting etc). It would be great if you can explain further. Different prespectives always helps. Thanks!

Profile : 740/3.4/6.5 yrs WE/ IT consulting

I didn't apply to Schulich because I want a 2 year MBA experience and want a proper internship to switch my career. Rotman seemed the only viable option in Canada. Moreover if you are planning to be in Toronto it is always better if u are with the local school as u will get a great alumni network in the area and Rotman is similarly respected in the whole North-America. Yes it is costly! but in the long run I think the brand and network matters more than an 18K rise in the fees. My suggestion is don't go after the rankings. Nothing can be more misleading. Look for the companies that are hiring from the school and I found all the top consulting/finance companies are hiring from Rotman.. !!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Toronto Rotman 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2012, 18:49
mba22 wrote:
KP86 wrote:
mba22 wrote:
Got acceptance letter today.. yippiee.. first acceptance of the cycle.. but no scholarship !! is Rotman worth 100K ? any suggestions..?

congrats on the admit.

The best person to answer your question is you. Just be aware of all the factors before you decide, including the post MBA tax decdcution facility in Canada, prioritise them and then see whether what you are saving is worth it in the long run.

deadlycat: dont you think Rotman is stronger than Schulich in certain domains (finance, consulting etc). It would be great if you can explain further. Different prespectives always helps. Thanks!

I didn't apply to Schulich because I want a 2 year MBA experience and want a proper internship to switch my career. Rotman seemed the only viable option in Canada. Moreover if you are planning to be in Toronto it is always better if u are with the local school as u will get a great alumni network in the area and Rotman is similarly respected in the whole North-America. Yes it is costly! but in the long run I think the brand and network matters more than an 18K rise in the fees. My suggestion is don't go after the rankings. Nothing can be more misleading. Look for the companies that are hiring from the school and I found all the top consulting/finance companies are hiring from Rotman.. !!

MBA22.....Congrats for the offer...

You have a great GMAT score and a quality experience of IT consulting. I know most of us Indian Engineers have similar experience in IT consulting but your GMAT score definitely provides you an edge.

Did you try in some American and European Schools also? Just wonderring .... or are you only looking of doing MBA from Canada?

my details are 700/3.5/6.5 yrs (International Exp of 4 yrs)/ IT consulting but yours are far better than mine..... I tried in few US schools but no luck as I really don't have an edge in terms of GMAT.......
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
WE: Information Technology (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 5

Re: Toronto Rotman 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2012, 19:49
mba22 wrote:
KP86 wrote:
mba22 wrote:

congrats on the admit.

Just few points to note.

Schulich is a two year program and is in Toronto.
Intern
Intern

Re: Toronto Rotman 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 19:54
Got my admit mail yesterday. Admitted. No scholorship. I am sort of leaning towards Rotman, since I want to do finance/consulting post MBA.

Profile:
GMAT: 680(Q44, V40, AWA:4.5)
WE: 5 years in banking(IT) (in 3 countries with RBS, Barclays and citi. Worked on implementing projects for 18 countries across europe, asia and latin america) and couple of awards and very good recos.
UG: 78%, engineering (3.83/4 per WES evaluation)
EC: Good.
TOEFL: 113
App completed: NOv 16
Interviewed: Jan 3
Admit mail: 10 Jan

Last edited by KP86 on 10 Jan 2012, 20:19, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern

Re: Toronto Rotman 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 20:01
itguy,

you have a stellar profile. It beats me why you think the school will not consider you. When did you complete you application? Did you call the school to confirm the same? - My gmat score was filed under my second name and it delayed my application a little. - So call them.

Also they start reviewing your application only after your file is complete, which means you have to consider when your recommenders sent in their recos, not just when you clicked the submit button on the online app.

and you do HAVE an edge over others in terms of GMAT.
do PM me if I can be of any help. Best of luck mate.
Intern
Intern

Re: Toronto Rotman 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 21:06
KP86 wrote:
itguy,

you have a stellar profile. It beats me why you think the school will not consider you. When did you complete you application? Did you call the school to confirm the same? - My gmat score was filed under my second name and it delayed my application a little. - So call them.

Also they start reviewing your application only after your file is complete, which means you have to consider when your recommenders sent in their recos, not just when you clicked the submit button on the online app.

Thanks KP....

Yes I called them last week and finally on Monday, I had my interview with Sheldon. He asked me all genral questions...why MBA now, what is your current role.....etc. It's more like a HR interview.

actaully, One of my recommenders delayed and my application got completed in last week of Nov....

Now, my biggest concern is that as they do rolling admission, am I too late :oops:
Intern
Intern

Re: Toronto Rotman 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 22:21
itguy0809 wrote:
KP86 wrote:
itguy,

Thanks KP....

Yes I called them last week and finally on Monday, I had my interview with Sheldon. He asked me all genral questions...why MBA now, what is your current role.....etc. It's more like a HR interview.

actaully, One of my recommenders delayed and my application got completed in last week of Nov....

Now, my biggest concern is that as they do rolling admission, am I too late :oops:

No you are not.

I planned to visit Toronto during the chinese new year (Jan 21-24). So the adcom memeber told me that I can defer my interview, which was planned on Jan3rd, without adversely affecting my chances. So I do not think the delay will affect you as well. But I had to drop the plan coz of work and did my interview on 3rd.

If the interview went OK, you should be good to go. Best of luck again.

Guys with an admit,
There is an unofficial facebook group for the admits. Do join.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/285703064816017/
Intern
Intern

Re: Toronto Rotman 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2012, 20:12
KP86 wrote:
itguy0809 wrote:
KP86 wrote:
itguy,

Thanks KP....

No you are not.

I planned to visit Toronto during the chinese new year (Jan 21-24). So the adcom memeber told me that I can defer my interview, which was planned on Jan3rd, without adversely affecting my chances. So I do not think the delay will affect you as well. But I had to drop the plan coz of work and did my interview on 3rd.

If the interview went OK, you should be good to go. Best of luck again.

Guys with an admit,
There is an unofficial facebook group for the admits. Do join.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/285703064816017/

I got my first admit letter of R1.....after four dings, it would be nice to have atleast one........
Intern
Intern

Re: Toronto Rotman 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2012, 22:42
Congrats itguy. I believe that admit letter is from Rotman :P

Do join the facebook page. It is very active and the admits have started to network and are discussing about housing and ways to finance their programs
Manager
Manager
Schools: York University (Schulich) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Engineering (Education)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 10

Re: Toronto Rotman 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2012, 09:57
Application submitted, waiting game begins.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Toronto Rotman 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2012, 10:50
Application Submitted. Fingers are crossed!!

All the best to my fellow ED2 applicants :)
Manager
Manager

Re: Toronto Rotman 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2012, 13:56
Yay, I got invite for interview. I didn't expect it to be so soon considering one of my referee didn't submitted till this morning.
Intern
Intern

Re: Toronto Rotman 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2012, 19:42
deadlycat wrote:
Yay, I got invite for interview. I didn't expect it to be so soon considering one of my referee didn't submitted till this morning.

Congrats !!!! Approximately how far is the interview date and did you opt to go to Toronto or a telephone// skape...

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager

Re: Toronto Rotman 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2012, 19:53
My interview is schedule for February 15th. I live in Toronto so it'll be in person interview.
Intern
Intern

Re: Toronto Rotman 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2012, 20:02
deadlycat wrote:
My interview is schedule for February 15th. I live in Toronto so it'll be in person interview.

All the best!! I applied in early decision round 2.. And waiting to hear from Roman.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Re: Toronto Rotman 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2012, 19:30
best of luck to all the applicants. Rotman;s turnaround time is fast compared to other schools - my PE.

Did any one attend the open house? Any takes about the event?
Manager
Manager

Re: Toronto Rotman 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2012, 13:33
I was gonna go but then I noticed that it was similar to the information sessions that Rotman holds every few weeks so I skipped it and worked on my York application instead.
Manager
Manager

Re: Toronto Rotman 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2012, 21:29
MattyBoy, thanks for sharing your interview experiences. From what I hear, the interview at Rotman is merely a formality. You're pretty much in unless you can convince them that you're incapable of carrying a conversation. I would think "very soon" is no more than a few days but let us know when you get an answer.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
Schools: Rotman (A), NUS (S)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Toronto Rotman 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2012, 09:55
MattyBoy wrote:
Hi guys,

Did my interview with Rotman today (lasted approx: 20 mins). Generally speaking, it was very conversational and relaxed, typical of most Canadian MBA programs, from what I hear.

Questions:
1) Tell me about your work experience?
2) What is your proudest professional achievement?
3) Why the MBA, and why now?
4) Why Rotman in particular?
5) Are you applying to other MBA programs, and which ones?
6) What do you do for fun, outside of work?
7) How should I introduce you to my colleagues?

** also, note: there is the typical banter between questions, etc. etc.
--

Does anyone here know the typical turnaround from interview to admissions decision? The Adcom interviewer said "very soon," but was just hoping to have better visibility.

Thanks! Cheers,

Thanks a lot for sharing your interview experience. When did you send your application and was your interview in person or on skype/telephone
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GRE 1: 326 Q163 V163
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 1

Re: Toronto Rotman 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2012, 10:05
My interview was by telephone (no Skype option offered, however I didn't ask). I submitted my application around the Round 2 (early decision) deadline on February 1st. The turnaround from submission to interview was rather quick; about 7-10 days.

Hope this helps,

sachintendua wrote:
MattyBoy wrote:
Hi guys,

Did my interview with Rotman today (lasted approx: 20 mins). Generally speaking, it was very conversational and relaxed, typical of most Canadian MBA programs, from what I hear.

Questions:
1) Tell me about your work experience?
2) What is your proudest professional achievement?
3) Why the MBA, and why now?
4) Why Rotman in particular?
5) Are you applying to other MBA programs, and which ones?
6) What do you do for fun, outside of work?
7) How should I introduce you to my colleagues?

** also, note: there is the typical banter between questions, etc. etc.
--

Does anyone here know the typical turnaround from interview to admissions decision? The Adcom interviewer said "very soon," but was just hoping to have better visibility.

Thanks! Cheers,

Thanks a lot for sharing your interview experience. When did you send your application and was your interview in person or on skype/telephone
Re: Toronto Rotman 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 08 Feb 2012, 10:05