Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 11:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Toronto Rotman 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
WE: Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 5

Toronto Rotman 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2011, 08:12
This post received
KUDOS

Toronto Rotman 2012

Toronto (Rotman) Applicant Summary (Real Time)

Quick Glance: GMAT Club vs. Latest Intake (Class of 2013)

Real-Time Applications Tracker

Detailed Applicant List: Add Yourself to This List (add Rotman to your profile)

GMAT Club's Real-time Admissions Statistics

Add Your Profile to This List
Questions about this Roll Call?

Last edited by rasta on 02 Jan 2012, 00:57, edited 2 times in total.
Updated
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
4 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 18 [4] , given: 7

Re: Toronto Rotman 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2012, 13:30
This post received
KUDOS
I scored a 700+ GMAT and received the Diaminds book too. Initially Rotman was my top choice but I ultimately not ended up applying for the following reasons:

1) I want to do investment banking. Even though Rotman is an excellent finance school with top-notch faculty, Toronto has only about 15-18 positions in investment banking every year. This is all the Big 5 banks and top boutiques put together. At Rotman typically half the class is interested in finance, so basically there are 120 people gunning for the 20 odd positions. Btw, your competition also includes folks from Ivey, Schulich, Queens and Canadians at top US MBAs who want to come back. Hence for my career goals, the problem wasn't Rotman, the problem was the Toronto job market. And plus Ontario's economy is pretty darn crappy and isn't poised to get better anytime soon.

2) A Rotman alum I met himself told me that CCC at Rotman isn't as the good as the career management at Ivey. He said that Ivey's career management is more involved. A student I talked to said that apparently only 60% of people found jobs in the summer of 2011. Another student I talked to said "try for Wharton/Columbia/Stern if you want to work in finance. Come to Rotman if you have no other choice". Again, this is primarily because of Toronto, not because of Rotman.

3) For those interested in consulting, Rotman (and Ivey for that matter) are not core schools for M/B/B. Each take 0-1/2 students from Rotman/Ivey every year.

4) Finally the price tag. I would have applied to Rotman if it cost $60,000. But I can't justify paying $85K for a Canadian MBA. It's just not worth it for me, a person who already went to UofT for undergrad. I personally was disappointed by my undergrad experience and didn't want to hand over to UofT that much money all over again. For international students it's $100k. For that kind of money one can go to a comparable school like UNC-KF, Georgetown, UT-Austin and get access to a much bigger job market. Of course US has its visa issues and all, that's something for you to decide.

5) I have been in Toronto for a decade now. I wanted to make a move to the US. Hence if I got a UofT degree, my life would be here. I can't see myself in Toronto in the long term. Hence didn't end up applying. For the international who are trying to migrate to Canada, Rotman obviously is a good choice, although Schulich might be cheaper.

Take my opinions for FWIW.

If you like my post, consider giving me KUDOS!

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: Net Impact
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Toronto (Rotman) 2012 Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2011, 19:46
This post received
KUDOS
I have an admit for the 2012 intake at Rotman.
I had applied very late last year and was wait listed, but I received a mail that the adcom is offering me a place in the 2014 class
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Rotman (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q V
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 0

Re: Toronto Rotman 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2011, 09:19
This post received
KUDOS
Thats exactly my situation too. I applied far too late and got an offer for the 2012 intake, which I accepted.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: Toronto Rotman 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2011, 10:27
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

Poeple who have been invited for an Interview, could you please share school's turn around time?

Thanks.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Toronto Rotman 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2011, 04:12
This post received
KUDOS
The interview is more of a chat than an interview, its rather laid back. Most of the questions they ask are pretty run of the mill. You should be able to talk precisely about why is it that you want to get an MBA, why at this particular school and what will you do after you have it. You should be able to describe what it is that you do in your current job. The interviewer also asked me what kind of things I do for fun and what I think are my two greatest achievements. She told me she was born in the same city as I, so we had something in common to chit chat about.
Be prepared to ask them a few questions after they are done asking you. If you are an international student, this is the best chance you'll get at interacting with a Rotman person. Just avoid being negative. I asked her that though everything else seemed great about Rotman, I got the sense that the alumni network and career services weren't as great as Ivey or Schulich or McGill. Big mistake. She got all defensive and it got uncomfortable for a moment there.
Unlike a lot of other b-schools which have faculty or 2nd year students interview you, its a staff member (they have a bunch of people called Assistant Directors) who'll do it at Rotman. So it all seems like an exercise to gauge your spoken English skills. Think of it as an HR interview for a job.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Toronto Rotman 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2011, 06:43
This post received
KUDOS
nmpmsm9 I already received an offer from them for the class of 2014 a few months ago which I accepted and have made the $3000 deposit. Good luck for your interview!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.33
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 0

Re: Toronto Rotman 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2011, 10:38
This post received
KUDOS
sarahw wrote:
Hi,

Poeple who have been invited for an Interview, could you please share school's turn around time?

Thanks.

From my experience it took around 4 weeks from date of submission.

Submitted: 11/02/11
Under Review: 11/09/11
Interview Invite: 11/29/11
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.33
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 0

Re: Toronto Rotman 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 07:18
This post received
KUDOS
KP86 wrote:
Got a call for an interview with claire Gumus on Jan 3.

Ruisca,

Who interviewed you? what do you think they look for in an interview? Was it blind/conversational?

I ve been dinged/waitlisted to three colleges after interview, dont want it to happen for Rotman. So anyone/every one, need successful interview tips.

My interview was on campus with a lady named Lynda. She read my full application prior to the interview. The interview was very relaxed with discussion about my current role, some behavior questions, why Rotman and what makes me a unique candidate.

They already read your application and know that you are a "fit" on paper. So the interview is just to reinforce it and show that you act what you preached... Be sure about your career goals, how Rotman fits in and try to have your personality shine through. They also look for a class fit.... so being personable/cheery/friendly indicates that you will get a long with your classmates (who are going to be your teammates).
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GRE 1: 326 Q163 V163
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 1

Re: Toronto Rotman 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2012, 19:30
This post received
KUDOS
Hi guys,

Did my interview with Rotman today (lasted approx: 20 mins). Generally speaking, it was very conversational and relaxed, typical of most Canadian MBA programs, from what I hear.

Questions:
1) Tell me about your work experience?
2) What is your proudest professional achievement?
3) Why the MBA, and why now?
4) Why Rotman in particular?
5) Are you applying to other MBA programs, and which ones?
6) What do you do for fun, outside of work?
7) How should I introduce you to my colleagues?

** also, note: there is the typical banter between questions, etc. etc.
--

Does anyone here know the typical turnaround from interview to admissions decision? The Adcom interviewer said "very soon," but was just hoping to have better visibility.

Thanks! Cheers,
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Toronto Rotman 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2012, 00:51
This post received
KUDOS
Gemini66 wrote:
KP86 wrote:
deadlycat wrote:
That's what they told me at the Rotman MBA info session.

Congrats sachintendua. It is nice to have options.

And yes Rotman is increasing the class size by 60-65. But it would be an across the board rise and I am sure there will be more staff on the admissions committee to handle it. I dont know of anyone who has faced any delays in the admissions process thu far. Rotmans turnaround time generally has been ahorter compared to other schools that i applied to.

I also have to add that all of the current students/alumni that i spoke to were not convinced that the increase in classsize will not affect job/internship prospects. The were particularly nervous about internship oppurtunities since apparantly it is already very competitive at rotman.

I heard the same concerns on the increase in class size. Did you get a chance to pose this as a question to the ad-com during your interview?
Are Rotman interviews blind or does the interviewer have access to the applicant's essays before the interview?

My interviewer was Claire. I asked her about it and as anyone would expect she gave me a super rosy picture and actually hinted that we will have more oppertunities.

There is an admissions blog she ahd written about why the increase in class size will not adversely affect students. While we have every reason to believe that the college would have done their research before increasing the classs size(after all it is the college' reputation at stake), there are many reasons to be a little watchful as well. But for me, it wasnt a big concern and I have turned in my deposit.

BTW, i heard ISB, Hyderabad is increasing their intake by 60+ and so is NUS. So B schools quite often increase their class size.

Rotmans interrviews are not blind. She even quoted from my essay. But they are super friendly.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 1

Re: Toronto Rotman 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2012, 21:37
This post received
KUDOS
I am in !! :-D
Didnt receive any $$ :(
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Toronto Rotman 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2012, 19:27
This post received
KUDOS
itwasme wrote:
Another admit here. Congrats to those who've got in!

I heard that the new Rotman building will be ready for the incoming class this fall - can anyone confirm that this is the case? Will all classes/activities be in the new building from now on? Its renderings look pretty sweet.

Also, can those who've received the Welcome packet let me know *what* information is inside? Like...list of courses? Program start date? Pre-program information?

itwasme,

Congrats on the admit Do share you profile with us.

Rotman is moving to their new building so people who are starting their MBA will have all the classes in the new building.

there are two sets of courier that will reach you, lets call it the admissions packet and the welcome packet.

The admission packet will have all the 'please pay the deposit very soon because we are a wonderful university/school' letters, some information about Rotmans loan program and the contacts. You will get this with in the week.

Once you pay your deosit , you get an e-mail with your r-world user name and password and a welcome package.

The welcome package, that will have information on the courses, has not been sent out yet. Apparantly Rotman are yet to finalize on the course structure for 2012.

This has been the trend thus far.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.57
WE: Information Technology (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 1

Re: Toronto Rotman 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2012, 11:27
This post received
KUDOS
Attended info session yesterday... It was very infomative... I must say that the school gave me a very positive impression and I think it could fit me somehow...

And...According to what they said, the bulk of applications usually comes in before the final deadline, so it is not that competitive if you submit you app before that.
And up to half of tuition of scholarship is awarded to about 15%-20% of admitted. Scholarship is not getting more competitive in the admission cycle since they have no cap or something (not quite sure)...

Also they said there is going to be a "super Saturday" event where all application submitted before April 20 will have a decision on April 28 (does it mean that they do not get enough good applicants as expected...?). So I'm thinking seriously to assemble an app and submitt it on that deadline... especially when my US hopefuls are fading...
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 33

Re: Toronto Rotman 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 May 2012, 21:41
This post received
KUDOS
I am also a part of another forum - typical indian forum, i found the question floating around - why no one is getting rejected this year ?

I think someone who has seen the working of the school closely can give good insights, because the size of the batch will grow and in terms of capacity schullich and rotman will almost be the same.

Do you think the economy will be able to digest such an outflow ? because almost all international students come to canada MOSTLY because of friendly work permit rules, else in terms of quality of education i believe I would prefer not to spend 100k US $ for Rotman (personal opinion, people may agree/disagree), because with the same amount of money i might get into top 10 b-schools of US.

My intention to compare the fees is to help me understand whether it will be worth a job even once you spend 100k US$.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 118

Re: Toronto Rotman 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 May 2012, 02:37
This post received
KUDOS
wayahead123 wrote:
I am also a part of another forum - typical indian forum, i found the question floating around - why no one is getting rejected this year ?

I think someone who has seen the working of the school closely can give good insights, because the size of the batch will grow and in terms of capacity schullich and rotman will almost be the same.

Do you think the economy will be able to digest such an outflow ? because almost all international students come to canada MOSTLY because of friendly work permit rules, else in terms of quality of education i believe I would prefer not to spend 100k US $ for Rotman (personal opinion, people may agree/disagree), because with the same amount of money i might get into top 10 b-schools of US.

My intention to compare the fees is to help me understand whether it will be worth a job even once you spend 100k US$.

Hope one of the existing students or alumnii can pitch in with their opinions.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Toronto Rotman 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2011, 06:37
If you've already got your application in for the 2012 intake I would expect them to get back to you within 4 weeks if not sooner. I've heard of people who got their application in early hearing from the school within days after the interview.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 5

Re: Toronto Rotman 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2011, 18:26
Hi All,

Congrats to people with an admit. I have applied to Rotman R1 and it is my top choice school. I hope I get an interview soon.

I have poor undergrads(63%OA in Indian univ and 75% in the final year) and any pointers to help strengthen it is much appriciated.

PS: I confirmed with the school that the entry criteria for people from my univ is 60%
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q V38
GPA: 3.73
WE: Other (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 6

Re: Toronto Rotman 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2011, 05:04
I submitted my application on 14 Nov. Received an email from the admission team stating that my app is complete and under review. Waiting for the interview call.

Thanks Lefto for sharing your interview experiences. Hope you secure an admit.

- The Wait begins..

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Toronto Rotman 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2011, 07:54
Where do you guys see the status of the application ("Under Review" and so on)? I just see a "Your application has been submitted" statement when I click on the "Application Information" tab.
Re: Toronto Rotman 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 12 Dec 2011, 07:54