Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 14:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all TUCK 2008 applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2007, 09:28
I am not sure if this has been discussed earlier.. any suggestions on how to approach the unique essay.. is it better to write about one solid experience or give 2 - 3 examples..my problem is i wud find it difficult to elaborate on just one experience for 500 words..
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 693 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2007, 13:15
helg wrote:
1. adc_away
2. shmegs
3. R.E.D.
4. helg

Good luck guys...at least you only have to wait a few more weeks. I am surprised there aren't more applicants.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2007, 15:22
Went for the Winter Tucktails event last saturday. Met with some current students who are doing a global consulting project in Kualalumpur. They flew down to Singapore for the event. I must say Tuck really stands up to its reputation of being one of the friendliest and tightly knit schools. The students really wanted to help you know more about the school. Some of them were ready to help with my application and gave me tips. Most of the students end up in a IB or Consulting track . One more thing about Tuck is it is great for people with partners. I believe apart from its slightly remote location Tuck is a great place to be.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Darden '15
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2007, 00:47
I just realized I had to put '0' for the 'people reporting to me' question :( Do you guys think this is an automatic ding? Does anyone else has '0' there?
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2007, 00:53
Darden2010 wrote:
I just realized I had to put '0' for the 'people reporting to me' question :( Do you guys think this is an automatic ding? Does anyone else has '0' there?

Nah, don't think so. Number of official reports is just one of the many aspects for judging your leadership/managerial potential.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2007, 03:52
Darden2010 wrote:

Dont over think it. The vast majority of applicants have 0. Pretty much all the engineers and IT people will. Its more a function of age and industry.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2007, 03:54
tsaditya wrote:
Went for the Winter Tucktails event last saturday. Met with some current students who are doing a global consulting project in Kualalumpur. They flew down to Singapore for the event. I must say Tuck really stands up to its reputation of being one of the friendliest and tightly knit schools. The students really wanted to help you know more about the school. Some of them were ready to help with my application and gave me tips. Most of the students end up in a IB or Consulting track . One more thing about Tuck is it is great for people with partners. I believe apart from its slightly remote location Tuck is a great place to be.

Its a little more than slightly. Definitely a school that all the students and alums take great pride in. If you are married it is a great school, especially if you have school age children. The one drawback for partners is the job market but it is the one school that allows spouces pretty much all the privledges of students. They can attend any class they want if there is room and they can use the career service center.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2007, 12:30
Ok, well can tha '0' be explained by the fact tha I am only 24? Or maybe I am just too young to be applying anyways so there is no excuse for the '0'.

Also, I had a on-campus part-time job during college in which I was responsible for 20 people. Do you guys think it would be smart to put this part time job as 'work experience' in the application even though I know that only full time experience counts :)

I just don't want to have that '0' only

Please advise!
VP
VP
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 115 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2007, 12:37
Darden2010 wrote:
Ok, well can tha '0' be explained by the fact tha I am only 24? Or maybe I am just too young to be applying anyways so there is no excuse for the '0'.

Also, I had a on-campus part-time job during college in which I was responsible for 20 people. Do you guys think it would be smart to put this part time job as 'work experience' in the application even though I know that only full time experience counts :)

I just don't want to have that '0' only

Please advise!

If this helps, I am an AVP and have 0 direct reports. Truly, this number depends on the nature of your position, industry, responsibilities and the company's structure.
Do not feel like you have to put something above 0 to be a successful applicant.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2007, 12:42
I think putting my part-time job in the application would really help me, because I had a lot of responibilities and I managed many ppl. It was kind of the most prestigeous job on campus, but it was part-time.

Do you think I should put it anyways? Am I being disrespectful for going against the instructions for including only full time jobs?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2007, 12:44
I tend to think schools dont care about jobs during college unless its an internship that directly relates to your career/future career. If it was nothing really related to your career you are probably better off leaving it off.

Zero direct reports is not going to be an issue especially at 24. I turn 28 in a few weeks and have no direct reports and it hasnt hurt my candidacy at all.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross 2010
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2007, 13:12
You should not list your part-time job if the application specifically asks for full-time experience. Many applications have work experience broken into two sections: part-time and full-time post-college work. If you list this job when it asks for full-time likely Adcom will think you can't follow directions and that is not good. Like the previous posters have said many people even in their late twenties may not have direct reports it really depends on your industry and function. Do not stress out about it.
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2010
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2007, 13:20
Darden2010 wrote:

im 24 also, and have a big fat 0 direct reports. i work in consulting though and direct reports dont mean that much... just a matter of organization for assessments. most of the time people in my group dont even work with their superior/juniors.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2007, 14:04
Ok, so the instructions specificaly say this:

"In the spaces provided below, list your employment history for your last four employers, beginning with your current or most recent position. Include military experience, if applicable. If you have changed positions with the same employer, resulting in significant changes in responsibility, please complete a separate entry for each position."

hmmm.... so according to this it is kind of ok to put the part-time job huh? It will not look like I am not following directions. And the job was related to my major
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2007, 19:56
Waitlist seems pretty good now actually.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2007, 22:08
adcxaway wrote:

You don't say that! You don't know what 7 months on a WL mean! :twisted:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2007, 23:28
helg wrote:
adcxaway wrote:

You don't say that! You don't know what 7 months on a WL mean! :twisted:

That's true.... hahah.. but i'll take a waitlist over a straight out ding... at least with a waitlist there's some ray of hope :P
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2007, 06:39
yay, tomorrow is the decission release for ED,
any admits yet?
admits please introduce yourself, I want to know who will be in my class (when I get in in January) :)))
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2007, 06:42
Darden2010 wrote:
yay, tomorrow is the decission release for ED,
any admits yet?
admits please introduce yourself, I want to know who will be in my class (when I get in in January) :)))

Nope, it's Friday, not tomorrow :?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2007, 07:59
Ok,

but still, I cannot believe nobody has posted an admit 2 days before the deadline.... come on guys post post !
  [#permalink] 12 Dec 2007, 07:59