Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 04:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all TUCK 2008 applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2007, 22:09
Essay about Constructive Criticism..
How are you guys approaching this question. I am kinda stuck on this issue.

-Yogesh
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2007, 22:47
yogeshsheth wrote:
Essay about Constructive Criticism..
How are you guys approaching this question. I am kinda stuck on this issue.

-Yogesh

Again, I cannot resist quoting from accepted.com:

"Leadership development is an important part of the Tuck program. Within that facet of Tuck life, self assessment and peer assessment play an important role. Can you take and grow from criticism? Show the adcom reader that you can by showing him or her that you already have done so. Provide the feedback and if necessary explain why it was difficult for you to address. Then describe the steps you took to respond to the criticism and improve. Finally, show the results: what you learned and ideally how you now effectively handle situations that triggered the initial criticism."
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2007, 07:38
I am applying to Tuck in R1. The only problem I see is that I am not sure whether my wife can find a job anywhere in that region. Boston might be the closest city which has some decent openings.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 692 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2007, 07:52
dosa_don wrote:
I am applying to Tuck in R1. The only problem I see is that I am not sure whether my wife can find a job anywhere in that region. Boston might be the closest city which has some decent openings.

Depends what she does. Boston is way to far to commute unless you are crazy and want to waste hours a day. Even if you split it half way its going to be a two hour commute with traffic. Manchester might be a possibility...and also there are a suprising number of professional jobs in the area because of Dartmouth and also the Medical Center. It could be a huge cultural shock though for anyone from an urban area. Its in the mountains basically, winters are tough, and its a small school in a small town.
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck'08
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2007, 14:04
Good luck to all of you guys. I am a current 2nd year student at Tuck and I am finishing my summer internship.

*Try to shoot for the ED, it's always better.
*For the international students they know that you can't visit the schools, try to be in touch even by email with some current students. I am sure the school can put you in touch.
*Basically knowing Tuck, its environment and its culture can help you tremendously during the interviews, and obviously current students and alumni can tell you more than what you can download anywhere on the Web.
* For anyone else you should visit the school though, especially since it's a small place so if you like the big cities I don't believe this is for you however if you can live during 2 years in a small community and therefore benefit from the network/bond it's great.
*I think it's a great school for career switchers since you have less students therefore the professors know your name and the Career Office knows who you are and what you are looking for. It's a much more personalized interaction.

By the way, I am not pro-Tuck, I am doing my MBA there but there are a lot of great schools so spread the risk, apply for many schools, think about the schools you really like and then prioritize.

Cheers
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2007, 18:43
i'm in for ED as well... btw, i had a chance to visit tuck in april... its just an amazing place and, as you have probably heard over and over again, the students really love the school... the school is also very forthcoming in providing prospective students with alumni contacts in their cities of residence - something unique among the top schools that i have reasearched until now
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2007, 19:25
Hey Rajiv,
Quick question- how did you go about getting the alumni contacts? Did you just ask the admissions committee via email or did you request when you visited Tuck?
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck'08
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2007, 20:12
Dosa,

If you want to contact some students you can find some link I believe on the Tuck website. You fill in some e-form or you send an email, I did before applying last year but I 've forgotten the exact name. The administration will then send you the email of a current student.

If you visit it's even better since you can meet with a few people, take their name and feel free to ask for their email. But do ask for their name so that later on you can ask the administration for their email. It's not just about network but it's also a good way to navigate through the different profiles so you can have a better idea of the mix of students there and if you like it or not.

Also, be honest and natural, don't be too stressed but most importantly behave well at Tuck since the administration takes our opinions very seriously about any prospective visiting us. If you meet with students and they really like you then they can definitely help you and even send an email to the admission office to tell how nice you were, etc... Don't dream too much since it's not happenning everyday and it depends a lot on the students but I've personally done it this year for one candidate. I don't know how much weight they put on our opinion but even if it's 5% you should act properly when you are at the school. No worries though, I believe we usually welcome our prospective students very well and we are all conscious that the atmosphere and the small/strong network is our brand so nobody is going to bother you or to ask you some brain teaser. Relax and enjoy. Talk to as many people as possible.

It also depends on your nationality, if you are not from the US you should mention it to the admnistration and they can put you in touch with someone from your country at Tuck, it's usually a nice way to start.

2nd year Tuck
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2007, 21:24
Here's a link to Tuck Connections form: http://www.tuck.dartmouth.edu/admission ... _form.html (it's offline for the summer period, so check it back in Sep). I used it last year, got connected with an alumnus, learned a lot from him.

I just want to say that Tuck people are really open and easy to approach.

Also my interviewer last year connected me with two students from my country, and it was useful experience as well.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2007, 04:36
dosa_don wrote:
Hey Rajiv,
Quick question- how did you go about getting the alumni contacts? Did you just ask the admissions committee via email or did you request when you visited Tuck?

hi dosa_don,

you can use the "tuck connections" link that is provided here... however, you will probably have to wait till fall for that... if you want to start right now, try emailing admissions... they are very helpful
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Importance of the various factors in an app [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2007, 05:11
I am trying to get an idea of the importance of the various factors in an app. My guess:

GPA: 20%
Essays: 35% (Career progression, leadership, teamwork etc)
Reco's: 20%
GMAT: 10%
Interview: 5%
Diversity: 10% (The diversity that you bring to the table)

Can anyone else take a guess on these?
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Importance of the various factors in an app [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2007, 05:18
dosa_don wrote:
I am trying to get an idea of the importance of the various factors in an app. My guess:

GPA: 20%
Essays: 35% (Career progression, leadership, teamwork etc)
Reco's: 20%
GMAT: 10%
Interview: 5%
Diversity: 10% (The diversity that you bring to the table)

Can anyone else take a guess on these?

Hmmm... I would not agree with giving to reco's twice as much importance as GMAT and four times more as interviews. I woud definitely value interviews over recos. Also, I do not agree with giving twice more importance to GPA as to GMAT. High GMAT can definitely compensate low GPA. Can stellar GPA compensate low GMAT? Unlikely, in my opinion.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2007, 06:49
Thanks Helg. I am trying to get an idea of how crucial is GPA as mine is kind of low. I have posted the question as a separate thread to get more answers.

Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2007, 22:34
What happened to all the Tuck applicants?! :)

Any other reapplicants here?

I'm done with drafts for Essay 1, 3, 4 and 6

I've got an idea for the optional essay... but I'm stuck with essay 2... the leadership essay. I'm no napoleon not am I jack welsh... anybody have ideas on leadership?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 692 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2007, 02:11
I am working on my Kellogg essays at the moment so tuck has fallen to the wayside. I am trying to get a time when my wife and I can both take off a day and drive to Hanover for a visit (we live a few hours away on the other side of the state). Its a great little town but it sure is tough to visit for a lot of people. If you have the ability to make sure you check out the school in person, not only will it help your decision but it really is different than pretty much any other highly regarded b-school.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2007, 05:46
I'm trying to get the app done for ED. On a side note, Hanover is an amazing town, think of the ideal New Englad town and that's Hanover. If you don't mind the cold, it's an amazing place. Also, I'm trying to maintain a consistent theme throughout my essays...and need some ideas on how to get some more info about the school. I'm currently working in India so campus visits may be a bit difficult so I sent the adcoms a mail, and am planning to attend the mba event in Bangalore next month. I'll definitely check out the connect page on the website as soon as its up...but in the interim does anyone have any other suggestions?
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2007, 02:53
Is anyone else having trouble with Essay #3?
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2007, 02:59
shmegs wrote:
Is anyone else having trouble with Essay #3?

Well, I don't, since I already wrote that essay last year and I can hardly be expected to receive within the last 6 months a criticism harder than anything I got during the previous 29 years of my life ;) Maybe I will just introduce some minor corrections the last-year's essay.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2007, 03:03
hey, just a wild thought
I am a big fan of S.King and you know most of his books deal with small New England towns... :yikes like Hanover, yeah... so in a sense I feel like I belong there... should I mention that in my essays? :-D
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2007, 03:34
helg wrote:
hey, just a wild thought
I am a big fan of S.King and you know most of his books deal with small New England towns... :yikes like Hanover, yeah... so in a sense I feel like I belong there... should I mention that in my essays? :-D

Haha that would be a very unique introduction, or point to put in your essay. At this point, all I have for essay #3, is a criticism relating to the GMAT. I wanted to take the week off before the GMAT, but my boss refused...initially I was upset (to put it mildly) since I had been putting in 6 day weeks for the past 6 months and had progressed to running two teams within the company. Eventually, I realized that it wasn't much of a punishment but rather a reflection of my work and that the company couldn't afford to let me take time off in late August (we have been experiencing rapid growth and can't afford to let managers take time off). The story ends with my reaching a conclusion with my boss, and so on...it's not really a criticism of my work, but I perceived it as a criticism of my performance and value to the company. Will that work? I know it's a bit folksy but I really can't think of any other major criticisms that aren't "revise the latest draft of the report..." etc.
  [#permalink] 27 Aug 2007, 03:34