Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all TUCK 2008 applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Feb 2007
Posts: 407
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2007, 04:45
helg and other reapplicants

I just spoke to the ad coms... they said

"Do a whole new set of essays."

:(
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2006
Posts: 1124
Schools: Chicago Booth
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2007, 05:35
adc_away wrote:
helg wrote:
shmegs wrote:
Is anyone else having trouble with Essay #3?


Well, I don't, since I already wrote that essay last year and I can hardly be expected to receive within the last 6 months a criticism harder than anything I got during the previous 29 years of my life ;) Maybe I will just introduce some minor corrections the last-year's essay.


Helg, how many of your essays are you re-using? I can't seem to get confirmation whether they will look at your old application or not. Well, for me, I received some very new and harsh criticism that turned around well in the end - so I'll be using that.

Can anybody confirm whether it's acceptable to reuse old essays?


I believe it is only OK to re-use the essays of last year when you definitely do not see possibilities for improvement. In your case I think you have a great reason to re-write your essay. I am going to re-write all my essays with the exception of #3, which I will only edit. I definitely expect adcom to look at my last years essays.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2007
Posts: 505
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2007, 10:11
Ok, after revising Essay 1 the word count went from 620 to 900....I'm losing it...I wish the word count was 1000 for Essay 1, and 500 for the rest...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Feb 2007
Posts: 407
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2007, 23:00
Essay 4:
Tuck seeks candidates of various backgrounds who can bring new perspectives to our community. How will your unique personal history, values, and/or life experiences contribute to the culture at Tuck?

Can anybody help shed some light on this? is the key word new perspective or contribute? I've done a draft, but i'm not too sure whether i'm answering the question or not.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2007
Posts: 505
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2007, 01:06
The way I approached Essay 4 was to describe two unique experiences, and what I learned from them. Then tying the experiences into Tuck, and two particular programs I'm interested in. My experiences have been in international consulting and development so I used them to tie into the int'l consulting program, and how I would contribute to the student body.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Feb 2007
Posts: 407
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2007, 01:30
shmegs wrote:
The way I approached Essay 4 was to describe two unique experiences, and what I learned from them. Then tying the experiences into Tuck, and two particular programs I'm interested in. My experiences have been in international consulting and development so I used them to tie into the int'l consulting program, and how I would contribute to the student body.


That's something I'm pondering. How unique is unique? In general, I'm a pretty normal person, I haven't done anything exceptional when compared to others. I spoke to a student and he told me I would be better off writing about competitive pool vs. m entrepreneurship experiences as there are many entrepreneurs...
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2007
Posts: 505
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2007, 09:59
I'm looking at it more as what can you contribute to the school/student body. So, I'm stressing life experiences and perspectives learned from them. It may not be unique, but it should be interesting (I think the key thing is to write about something genuine)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Feb 2007
Posts: 407
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2007, 01:36
anybody done with the application yet? :)
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2007
Posts: 505
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2007, 01:59
adc_away wrote:
anybody done with the application yet? :)


I've finished Essays 2 & 4, revising 1 & 3...then it's time to start filling out the app. Have you finished?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Feb 2007
Posts: 407
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2007, 02:33
I've finished the draft for everything, reworking my essay 1 to fit in about 550 words. it's currently 621 words... although there isn't an actual limit, i think i should play safe and cut off at least another 50 words or so...

i'm done with the application - kinda easy since i'm a reapplicant. although some questions have been added....

will be sending in my financial aid later this week..
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Posts: 4320
Location: Back in Chicago, IL
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2007, 07:41
I think Tucks word limits are a lot more relaxed...they recommend 500 words but its not a hard limit. If you can't get it within 10% without hurting the essay I would definitely go longer. They are one school that really puts an emphasis on getting a full understanding of everything about you as an applicant. So if you feel you need 600 words to convey everything I would go with it. I wouldn't get super wordy and go to 1,000 words but I am sure they have people that feel the need to do that.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2007
Posts: 505
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2007, 00:09
Has anyone found a hard copy of the reco forms? I'm prepping my app packet for my recos and can't seem to find a downloadable form.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 Aug 2007
Posts: 65
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2007, 06:44
shmegs wrote:
Has anyone found a hard copy of the reco forms? I'm prepping my app packet for my recos and can't seem to find a downloadable form.


yeap. on the right side of Online Application, click on "Downloadable Forms". called "Confidential Statement of Qualifications"
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 Aug 2007
Posts: 65
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2007, 06:47
riverripper wrote:
I think Tucks word limits are a lot more relaxed...they recommend 500 words but its not a hard limit. If you can't get it within 10% without hurting the essay I would definitely go longer. They are one school that really puts an emphasis on getting a full understanding of everything about you as an applicant. So if you feel you need 600 words to convey everything I would go with it. I wouldn't get super wordy and go to 1,000 words but I am sure they have people that feel the need to do that.


here (http://mba-benny.blogspot.com/2006/07/t ... e-out.html) T'08 says "Don´t go over the limit (500 words)". :(

I'm kinda concerned...
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2007
Posts: 505
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2007, 07:04
elgo wrote:
shmegs wrote:
Has anyone found a hard copy of the reco forms? I'm prepping my app packet for my recos and can't seem to find a downloadable form.


yeap. on the right side of Online Application, click on "Downloadable Forms". called "Confidential Statement of Qualifications"


Thanks Elgo!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Feb 2007
Posts: 407
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2007, 06:15
Any updates anybody? Essay 1 to 5 + 6 (reapplicant essay) are pretty ok. Just working on the word limits. But I do like the fact that there aren't any "word limits" per se. So I'll probably leave one of my essays at 630 words as I find that any bits I remove just affect the flow and weakens the essay.

Although I said I would send in the financial aid, I have yet to do it :(

However, last year for R1, the financial aid deadline was deferred to a later date (if I recall correctly).

No submissions yet? We're getting close to the deadline....
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2007
Posts: 505
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2007, 08:22
adc_away wrote:
Any updates anybody? Essay 1 to 5 + 6 (reapplicant essay) are pretty ok. Just working on the word limits. But I do like the fact that there aren't any "word limits" per se. So I'll probably leave one of my essays at 630 words as I find that any bits I remove just affect the flow and weakens the essay.

Although I said I would send in the financial aid, I have yet to do it :(

However, last year for R1, the financial aid deadline was deferred to a later date (if I recall correctly).

No submissions yet? We're getting close to the deadline....


Finished third drafts of all Tuck essays sent them to be reviewed...will work on the app next weekend. Now it's time to finish the LBS essays.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Feb 2007
Posts: 407
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2007, 16:48
Seems that there are only a handful applying to Tuck. That is good news! :P
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Posts: 4320
Location: Back in Chicago, IL
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2007, 17:49
adc_away wrote:
Seems that there are only a handful applying to Tuck. That is good news! :P


Tuck is a lot smaller than Kellogg, Wharton, Chicago, and all those schools. It gets about half the applicants of the larger top schools but the acceptance rate is still in the low 20s.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 06 Aug 2006
Posts: 328
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2007, 20:51
adc_away wrote:
Seems that there are only a handful applying to Tuck. That is good news! :P

Looks like that... Have started to write essays for Tuck.
  [#permalink] 16 Sep 2007, 20:51
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
4 Calling all Tepper applicants for 2008 gmatclb 186 11 Sep 2007, 14:28
14 Calling all Wharton 2008 applicants rrajiv 1264 09 Aug 2007, 19:06
Calling all Duke 2008 applicants... lanter1 440 08 Aug 2007, 08:30
1 Calling all Yale 2008 applicants jsnooky33 392 03 Aug 2007, 20:58
2 Calling all Cornell 2008 applicants jsnooky33 855 03 Aug 2007, 17:59
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling all TUCK 2008 applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  29    Next  [ 564 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.