Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 00:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all TUCK 2008 applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2007, 03:18
I went to the Tuck event in Boston last night and I must say it was FAR more impressive than every other school’s presentation. They did not have some assistant admissions officer giving a power point presentation that basically repeats their brochure and then follows that with some “help” in the admissions process which is the same apply as early as possible but wait till your ready and holistic approach line we have heard a million times. They actually had the assistant dean/COO and a tuck grad (who also was the director of career services at one point). As a testament to their highly regarded alumni network they actually had far more alums there than any other presentation I have been to (They even topped Sloan, so that eliminates the home field advantage).

Overall it was the most interesting event, they didn’t waste time with a lot of the garbage most schools did, the presenter was by far the most engaging and dynamic I had seen at an event. The huge point they made overall was you choose Tuck not just for the academics but the culture. Though they did make a mention about being highly ranked he went on to say it would be a horrible decision to choose Tuck if it was based solely on rank. I think that the presentation actually gave me the best feel for a any school so far. Honestly, this really improved my thoughts on Tuck. I was already planning on applying now its just a matter if I get in to multiple schools who to pick and this really did a lot for Tuck.

The Alums were really helpful, unlike every other event where the alums were helpful but not overly so. They actually provided a list of recent alums in the area who you can contact to talk to and everyone of the people I talked to said make sure you email me if you have questions, I had several business cards thrust upon me without even asking. Everyone seemed amazingly willing to help you.

As an interesting note to who ends up choosing Tuck, one alum turned down Harvard for Tuck and another mentioned turning down Wharton and Columbia. Also for people who wonder about their placing people well compared to the larger schools, of the alums there these are the ones I can remember and most of them were at top companies like Blackstone and the like. One actually said if you are a career switcher that the alumni network is a huge advantage when you go job hunting.
1-investment management,
1-venture capital
1-hedge fund
2-private equity
1-mergers and acquisition
1-bio marketing person
1-finance officer for a smaller company owned by tuck alum
1-vp for a startup

Surprisingly no regular IB there, though several the finance people said they turned down lots of bulge bracket bank offers. There were also no consultants there last night the one female who works in marketing said she had offers from the big 3 firms but decided against all the travel (went into marketing instead). Some did mention that a lot of their classmates went into consulting.
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2007, 15:28
Very interesting input, river. Thanks!

I was waiting to visit Tuck before deciding if I'll apply there or not. Hopefully this week I'll be able to visit that place.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2007, 16:15
I must say that after the event, talking to the alumni and staff Tuck definitely has a whole new appeal. It will be tough to decide if I get into multiple good schools.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2007, 03:48
Have any of you R1 applicants interviewed already? I just realized that the interview had to be completed before the round deadline. Scheduled one for the 9th of October.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2007, 06:51
I'm international applicant. So, look forward for phone interview after submission.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2007, 06:56
Any reapplicants having problems with submitting their Tuck application?

Although reapplicants only require one CSQ, the system still insists that I have two CSQs... and I can't submit my application because of that. Anybody else having the same problem?

I've given an email to ApplyYourself and hope to get it sorted as soon as possible.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2007, 08:04
Just spoke with Tuck again today, and since I'm in India I can't schedule an interview. I was hoping to be able to speak with an alumni or have the interview over the phone. They just said to write the reasons for not initiating an interview in the optional essay and that if they are interested they will contact me and schedule an interview. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2007, 08:19
shmegs wrote:
Just spoke with Tuck again today, and since I'm in India I can't schedule an interview. I was hoping to be able to speak with an alumni or have the interview over the phone. They just said to write the reasons for not initiating an interview in the optional essay and that if they are interested they will contact me and schedule an interview. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

The same here. Was told to explain the reason for not initiating the interview in the application form.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2007, 11:38
rrajiv wrote:
Have any of you R1 applicants interviewed already? I just realized that the interview had to be completed before the round deadline. Scheduled one for the 9th of October.

R1 or ED? R1 deadline isnt until mid Nov. So I am not stressing it yet. I think I am aiming for beginning of Nov or end of Oct.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Do I stand a chance? [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2007, 20:02
Tuck is one of my dreamschools!!

My brief stats:

Undergraduate: Bachelors in Engineering (Computer Science) form University of Madras, GPA: 3.3/4.0
Graduate: Master of Science in Computer Science from Johns Hopkins University, GPA 3.67/4.0
GMAT: 690
Ethnicity: Asian Indian

I have 10 years of experience in software consulting at various levels, and currently, I am a team lead at my present job. Most of my professional experience has been in the US and Australia and my employment has spanned from start-ups to fortune 100 companies. I also have a considerable volunteering background. I have volunteered with Byteback, an NGO in Washington DC, teaching computer skills to people in at-risk categories. I also have worked as a team leader, coordinating relief efforts during the 2004 Asian tsunami in India. Currently, I am coordinating some education projects in India through an NGO called AID-India.

Do you guys think whether I can offset my less than stellar GMAT scores and undergraduate GPA by highlighting my volunteering background more? Honestly I can speak more about my leadership abilities in the non-profit organizations I have volunteered with more than my job. Is this necessarily a bad thing? Does tuck give any brownie points for extensive community service? :-D

thanks.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 02:55
I think schools tend to seperate work/extracurriculars from academics. If you come across as weak academically its going to be a challenge, especially since you dont come from an underrepresented mnority. You are not really weak academically, you are just slightly below avg. (Tucks around 710 and 3.4 if I recall) so in your case your experience and volunteering definitely can qualify you to get in.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 03:21
Submitted... hope everything goes smoothly...

anybody else submitted their application yet?

Now I need to work on that biography for the scholarships..
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 03:49
riverripper wrote:
I think schools tend to seperate work/extracurriculars from academics. If you come across as weak academically its going to be a challenge, especially since you dont come from an underrepresented mnority. You are not really weak academically, you are just slightly below avg. (Tucks around 710 and 3.4 if I recall) so in your case your experience and volunteering definitely can qualify you to get in.

Thanks riverripper. That was a definite confidence boost for me!
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 05:41
shmegs wrote:

This scares me.. Are all international applicants required to schedule an interview and visit Tuck beforehand.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2007, 01:32
Just finished my essays, submitting this weekend. How is everyone else doing?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2007, 01:42
Also heading for this weekend.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2007, 05:55
I am applying R1 not ED so I have until Nov. Good luck to all who are applying early.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2007, 02:10
deadline is just about here

who did the EA round?
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2007, 03:00
I'm in for EA, finished the app and essays just going over everything before submitting on Wed.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2007, 20:07
Submitted mine. Have got a mail with confirmation.
Guys, please, pay attention that Tuck' online application form says that all deadlines are 5pm Eastern Coast time.
  [#permalink] 08 Oct 2007, 20:07