Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:48 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Schools: Tuck '20 (S)
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.58
WE:Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Tuck (Dartmouth) Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]
nikhil.jones.s wrote:
Anybody receive an invite for Round 1 (November 2nd)? My application status still says 'Submitted'. Any idea when can we expect the invites to start kicking in?

I applied EA, and just received an interview invite at the end of last week, so I think they are still finishing up with that round. I would expect they will be done with EA invites by Thanksgiving.
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Schools: Tuck '20 (S)
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Tuck (Dartmouth) Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]
Goillini13 wrote:
nikhil.jones.s wrote:
Anybody receive an invite for Round 1 (November 2nd)? My application status still says 'Submitted'. Any idea when can we expect the invites to start kicking in?

I applied EA, and just received an interview invite at the end of last week, so I think they are still finishing up with that round. I would expect they will be done with EA invites by Thanksgiving.

Great! Thank you.
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: How did I get here? The Road from Science to an MBA

By Ignacio Cabrera T’18

Ignacio grew-up in Puerto Varas, Chile. He holds a BS in molecular biotechnology engineering from Universidad de Chile and an MS in bacteriology from University of Wisconsin-Madison. Prior to Tuck, he was a research scientist at BioAmber and a microbial applications scientist at Kerry Inc. He is a Consortium for Graduate Study in Management Fellow.

The decision to leave my scientific career to pursue an MBA at Tuck was probably one of the most difficult ones I have ever made. Since I was a little kid I had the dream of becoming a scientist, doing (crazy!) experiments, and discovering and explaining the world.

When it was time to go to college, I decided to study science against the advice of many people who said I should go to medical or engineering school. They said Chile was no place for a scientist; and it wasn’t, but I knew I needed to pursue my passion. In 2009 I decided to move to the U.S. to pursue graduate studies in microbiology at the University of Wisconsin, leaving family, friends, and pretty much everything and everyone behind.

What happened next? I became a scientist! I worked in microbial genetics, industrial biotechnology, and in nutritional and pharma ingredients. I had realized my dream. My work would help make chemical production greener, or productions of drugs and food more efficient, and was fulfilling my constant desire to learn how the world works. I also discovered that I wanted to go beyond the lab to manage innovative businesses. The question was how.

I knew I wanted to continue to be involved in science, but needed to grow both professionally and personally. In science, one specializes and solves extremely specific problems and is (for the most part) strictly academic. I realized that I needed to take a step back and focus on the bigger picture, develop leadership skills, and understand how innovation fits within a business.

I decided that an MBA was the right path to do this, and Tuck emerged as the perfect place for me to take on this challenge. First, I knew that this shift in my career was so big that I needed to find an immersive MBA, and tuck is not just a full-time MBA it’s a 24/7 MBA. Living on-campus and far away from the distractions of the city means you are always interacting and learning with your classmates and professors. At Tuck, you are living the MBA program at all times. Second, being an immigrant with my family and life-long friends far away from me, I needed a place that would offer a supportive community to help fill that void. I was not wrong. It has been a little over two months since I started, and I have already made friendships that will last forever. I’ve felt the support of this community in the moments that I needed it the most.

Finally, I knew I needed to develop my business and leadership skills, but coming from an untraditional background in which I had not interacted with MBAs, I needed structure. Tuck is unique in that it has a core curriculum for most of the first year. This gave me the assurance that I was going to learn what I needed to be successful in my career and before deciding what my specific academic path would be.

In all, Tuck is (as so many other will say) a very special place. But to me it is special because it is a place I can call school and call home at the same time. 
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 131 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 690 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Did anyone get their interview done at Tuck and would like to share their experience ?
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Q&A with Tuck Student Ambassador: Chun-Yi (Jonathan) Yang

Tuck's Student Ambassador Team collaborates with the Admissions Office to share their Tuck experience with prospective students. The Team is structured by geographical region, with an SAT Captain leading each. In the following months, we'll introduce you to them. Today, meet Chun-Yi (Jonathan) Yang, T'18 and Asia Captain. Please reach out to Jonathan or any other Student Ambassador using this website. They love to connect with future Tuckies, especially when they're from "home"!

Tell us a little bit about yourself.

I’m from Taipei, Taiwan, and I studied Risk Management at National Cheng-chi University for my undergrad. I worked in marketing research and marketing in the CPG industry for 2 years out of college, then made a career switch into executive search (headhunting), working with multinational CPG and pharma clients in Taiwan. I did that for over 3 years before deciding to apply to business school. After Tuck, I want to go into management consulting.

Why Tuck?

I really liked the Tuck community vibe when I came for my campus visit. Just walking through the Stell Hall with our tour guide, it was so apparent from his interactions with everyone he ran into along the tour that the community is very tight-knit. This was important for me because I wanted to build strong connections with people from all over the world that would last a lifetime. The environment at Tuck fosters that bond-building with classmates and faculty.

Everyone at Tuck chooses a different path. What’s your life at Tuck like?

Busy! I'm on the Hockey B Team, involved in Consulting Club, Tuck Student Consulting Services, and Amos Trout (fishing!). I live off-campus in Sachem Village with my partner.

Transformational Moment

After I finished my first call with a Tuckie to learn more about his experiences working in consulting post-Tuck. I truly felt that I was now part of this incredibly supportive network for life!

Why did you join the Student Ambassador Team?

Tuck is a bit mysterious in my home country, compared to other top-MBA programs. I want to change that.

What surprised you most about Tuck?

How strong the partners community is at Tuck. From day 1 of being admitted to Tuck, Tuck has done a great job of integrating my partner into the community. Partners of international students are not eligible to work, but they can audit classes (at Tuck and at Dartmouth), join clubs, go on day trips, do volunteer work at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, and are involved in all major social events.

Any advice for prospective students?

Reach out to Tuckies to learn more about our Tuck experience. If you can, come to campus to see for yourself. Do the tour, but also reach out to clubs and centers that you’re interested in—Tuckies will be happy to chat over coffee. Find out if the Tuck community is a community you want to be part of for the rest of your life, because that’s how strong the bonds built here at Tuck are!
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
A bunch of Indian EA invites just came out.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
anathagenzum wrote:

Yes, got my Interview Invite!

Knowing the admission policy at Tuck, I presume there would be a fair number of candidates who received invites because Tuck tries to interview a large number of applicants. So taking it with a grain of salt. Nevertheless, very excited to have received the invite. :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
MVerick wrote:
anathagenzum wrote:

Knowing the admission policy at Tuck, I presume there would be a fair number of candidates who received invites because Tuck tries to interview a large number of applicants. So taking it with a grain of salt. Nevertheless, very excited to have received the invite. :-D

Would you mind sharing your profile?
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: 5 Business School Life Hacks to Make You More Productive

By Siena Hickey T'18

Siena is a first-year student at Tuck. She received her BA in international relations from Boston University. Prior to Tuck, she worked as a global insights manager in Cape Town for Projects Abroad Ltd. 

1. Check your email less. A lot less.

This is certainly not a discipline I’ve mastered, but it’s a nice idea! We aimlessly check our email dozens of times a day with no regard for the time wasted looking at—and then considering what to do about—emails we won’t ACTUALLY address until some later point. We do this to feel productive.

Being busy and being productive are not the same thing. In reality, this is just new information crowding out the stuff from before it entered your consciousness. It helps to bucket emails into two discrete categories:

Category 1: React now and move along. These emails take less than two minutes. You can bust through 10 in one sitting and respond without repliers remorse.

Category 2: Unread-ify and follow-up. I’m pretty sure I made up this term, but “unread-ifiable” emails are the ones that need some extra TLC; a little research or fact checking, perhaps a few intermediary ‘react now and move alongs’ to a proper response in order. I always make sure these look “unread” in my inbox, so that I’ll come back to them later (Outlook’s little red flag and Gmail’s little golden star just don’t cut it).

Try this: morning, mid-morning, after lunch, mid-afternoon, and end of day. The pithy “6/12/6” rule is a great idea in theory, but in practice the 5-checks-a-day method is more realistic for MBAs. We’re trying to gracefully juggle group assignments and recruiting ‘thank yous’ and office hours and time
sensitive executive lunch sign ups. And besides, it looks super cool to hastily check your email while walking. It lets people know how important you are.

2. SnapChat is an efficient way to let the outside world know you’re still alive.

Effective time management is a critical component of business school. Whether you decide to prioritize course work, recruiting, or extracurricular leadership, there are more than enough activities competing for your time and attention.

Who’s carrying the Cowboys this season? What craze will succeed the cronut? What did North West wear to her fourth birthday party? Getting around to these pressing topics is going to take you longer than it used to once you’re at business school, and “hanging out” becomes a new item on your Outlook calendar.

A two-second mirror snap of your groggy morning face, a time-stamped library selfie, or a short video of your study group’s lively debate over Anita Roddick’s role in the genesis of ethical consumerism are just a handful of ways you can prove your existence without inundating your calendar.

3. Sometimes you can’t trust yourself. Trust me.

You press the home button, type in your password (mine is “1,1,1,1”) and your screen unlocks. There’s a small red circle sitting in the upper right corner of your Facebook icon. This thing can’t be more than half a centimeter in width, but your brain bursts with a hit of dopamine and you literally cannot wait to see who took their very own thumb and with their very precious time to make the very small gesture of acknowledging your content.

Ok now multiply this finger tango by 100, which is around the number of times per day you open your phone, and consider how much time we waste getting sucked into the abyss of social media.

Save yourself. I beg of you. URL and app blockers (like Self Control, Focus Booster, and Freedom) are a great place to start. You’ll stockpile HOURS of time for other (only slightly) more important activities like stats homework, presentation practice, and networking events.

4. Write everything down.

We tend to convince ourselves that menial tasks aren’t worth writing down. I mean look at us—we’re about to be MBAs! We’re here because we convinced admissions committees all around the country that we have promising leadership qualities, fascinating professional interests, and inspiring time management skills. We know how to prepare Cash Flow statements and discuss the merits of divisional organizational structures. Why should I have to remind myself of something as trivial as googling “why do they call it tripod”? That’s exactly why.

By writing things down you become less occupied by them, bringing clarity, relaxation, and a decrease in stress. When you tease out the small things from your working memory, you free up mental RAM for the more important or challenging material on your agenda (if you’re like me, calculating Future Cash Flows is both “important” AND “challenging”).

There is obviously a right way and a wrong way to do this.

But seriously, write it down.

5. Adopt a second grader’s nighttime routine.

Lay your clothes out for yourself, pack your lunch, and write out tomorrow’s agenda.

Before heading to sleep at whatever hilarious hour you’ve chosen to stay up until, make sure you close out of your browser tabs. Doing this reduces morning confusion over whether to start by reviewing your homework or reading that next chapter or checking LinkedIn. You’ll get to everything, but save yourself the trouble of fumbling over where to begin. Be disciplined enough to respect the time you allot for each, and begin the day with a fresh digital slate.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 131 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 690 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Consumer Products)
Send PM
MVerick wrote:
anathagenzum wrote:

Congrats tiny progress is better than no progress. Good luck you can do it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
are EA applicants still receiving marketing e-mails?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
thex11factor wrote:

Yes, and it's incredibly annoying!!

JUST LET ME KNOW IF I'M IN ALREADY
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
thex11factor wrote:

Last marketing Email I received was right before I received the application completed and forwarded notification. None received since.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V42
GRE 1: Q163 V166
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
giantasparagus wrote:
thex11factor wrote:

Yes, and it's incredibly annoying!!

JUST LET ME KNOW IF I'M IN ALREADY

from what I've read here we want to get phone calls, not e-mails.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GPA: 3.05
WE:Supply Chain Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Can we expect anymore interview invites for Indian applicants? Talking about EA round..
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  29   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts