Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 05:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2008, 20:30
Hi all,

I will be attending the Tuck Reception in Dallas. I have scheduled my interview for Sep 16. Does anyone info abt the room rates at Hanover Inn?

Traffic never sleeps...

SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2008, 20:39
nadtrans wrote:
Hi all,

I will be attending the Tuck Reception in Dallas. I have scheduled my interview for Sep 16. Does anyone info abt the room rates at Hanover Inn?

$200-300/night if memory serves correctly.

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2008, 20:57
terp06 wrote:
nadtrans wrote:
Hi all,

$200-300/night if memory serves correctly.

That's right. I just booked it for 2 nights for my interview and it was 250 per night. They don't have online reservations...you actually have to call! That's Hanover for ya!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2008, 21:08
thanks for the reply! thats freakin expensive. Flying to tuck expensive enough. Will have to look around for something cheaper.

Traffic never sleeps...

SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2008, 21:11
nadtrans wrote:
thanks for the reply! thats freakin expensive. Flying to tuck expensive enough. Will have to look around for something cheaper.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/l ... r-lebanon/

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2008, 23:14
If you are visiting Tuck I HIGHLY HIGHLY reccomend staying at the Hanover Inn. It's literally right on campus and right on main street (when you visit you'll see how it's possible to be both right on campus and on main street). You can walk out your front door and be at the local bars (for after interviews!) or on campus, and you have a 5 minute walk to your interview. None of the other hotels are even in Hanover. They're like a 10 minute drive to campus and campus parking is awful. That is not stress I would want on interview day. You want walking distance - not a 20 minute struggle to find parking. Plus, you get the feel for the place way better if you're staying on campus.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2008, 07:25
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
If you are visiting Tuck I HIGHLY HIGHLY reccomend staying at the Hanover Inn. It's literally right on campus and right on main street (when you visit you'll see how it's possible to be both right on campus and on main street). You can walk out your front door and be at the local bars (for after interviews!) or on campus, and you have a 5 minute walk to your interview. None of the other hotels are even in Hanover. They're like a 10 minute drive to campus and campus parking is awful. That is not stress I would want on interview day. You want walking distance - not a 20 minute struggle to find parking. Plus, you get the feel for the place way better if you're staying on campus.

Thats what I might end up doing. was searching hotels in the area. Dint like any. Additionally, I have my interview at 2.15, and I m flying out of MHT at 5.40 PM. So, I wont have a lot of time to walk 30 mins to the parking lot.

Btw guys, who else is attending the Dallas Reception. Lets make a list and meet up at the reception.

Traffic never sleeps...

Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2008, 07:15
I went to a Tuck Reception here in Atlanta last night and wanted to share some thoughts -

The students and Alumni I met were all fantastic, and extremely passionate about Tuck (no surprise there).

Emphasized the love of costume parties at Tuck, something I was unaware of. Also, mentioned numerous times the amount of fun they had, sounds like an extremely active social scene if you desire it.

All current students and alums drove home how difficult the first year is; very very demanding, and team work is all encompassing.

Mentioned they have not seen much drop in recruiting. 24 offers from McK this year for full-time positions, said maybe 20 accepted. All other firms very active on campus.

Lastly, one alum worked with the AdCom before she graduated this year and was asked to rate aspects of the application by importance. She mentioned specifically the GMAT a couple times as being very (I don't think she said 'most') important, and essays. But also mentioned they had a 590 in their class, so anything is possible.

It was a really great time, and I recommend that if Tuck is coming to your town, you attend and chat with some students and alums. The event certainly confirmed my desire to attend Tuck.

~Sam
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2008, 07:41
Thank you for that informative post. That gives me a few more things to talk about during my interview :)

Btw, no takers for the Dallas event?

Traffic never sleeps...

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Tepper '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2008, 12:38
There is a Palo Alto information session tonight, I will be there.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2008, 18:57
There's also an October event coming up in Chicago:

Date: Thursday, October 16, 2008
Time: 7:00 - 9:00 PM
Address: 151 East Wacker Drive, Chicago, IL 60601
Telephone: (312) 239-4712
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2008, 19:48
So out of curiosity, how long are your essays for Tuck? Are you sticking to the 500 word average?
(those who are wondering: yes my essays are way longer than the limit...I'm trying to figure out how much I need to shorten them! :))

cheers,
ac.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2008, 19:55
I was going to ask the same thing pretty soon. I'm being much looser with the word count with Tuck than I am with other schools since they say there is technically no limit but that essays are 500 words on average. Some schools say required, they are obviously the most strict, some say reccommended which is a bit less strict. Tuck's wording is even less strict than reccomended. Still, I didn't go crazy and I'm keeping each essay under the 10% rule.

I have completed 3 essays and the word counts are approx: 530, 515, 530. I'm going to shoot for 500 on the last one, but it may end up around 515-520.

Do these wordcounts seem ok? What is everyone else doing?
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2008, 07:32
I am currently just working on my outlines, but it is looking like I will fall right around 500. I certainly wouldn't venture much past 600-650... just seems to long. Concise and to the point is the way to go.

~Sam
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck'08
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2008, 08:07
Stick to the average or +/-10% except if it really changes a lot your stories.

Antoine

Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth
Tuck Alumni, Class of 2008

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2008, 06:34
Just finished my outlines for Tuck...

Man, that constructive criticism essay was a tough one to come up with a viable topic. How is everyone going on their essays? Anybody else schedule a visit?

I am going to be on campus on the 25th, anyone else interviewing that day?

~Sam
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Tuck, Ross (R1), Duke, Tepper, ISB (R2), Kenan Flagler (R2)

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2008, 15:46
sam77sam7 wrote:

Man, that constructive criticism essay was a tough one to come up with a viable topic. How is everyone going on their essays? Anybody else schedule a visit?

~Sam

I agree. My understanding is that this is almost same as a failure essay. So I thought of a failure and then brought in some feedback from my professor, as I am talking about an academic failure. I understand that failure should not be too old or too recent, but I did not find any worthwhile story to build other than my academic failure (6 yrs old). Do you think that should be a problem ? The way I built it was that I talked about my failure for around 100 words as its good to be as short as possible and then analyzed the failure and missed opportunities for next 200 words and then last 200 were my learnings from it. In between, I have brought in my professors feedback after the episode.

I am in a slight dilemma whether I can reuse the same story for Ross - challenging situation, essay. Posted this dilemma in Ross thread, but haven't gotten any response about it.

I have scheduled my interview for Tuck interview for 13th Oct. Wanted it as late as possible to prepare well.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2008, 20:04
sam77sam7 wrote:

~Sam

I'm morphing my Wharton setback essay into the Tuck criticism essay...just about to start it so let's hope for the best :)
Current Student
Schools: Duke, UCLA, Cornell, Ross,Tuck, Haas
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2008, 20:13
rgajare14 wrote:
sam77sam7 wrote:

~Sam

I agree. My understanding is that this is almost same as a failure essay. So I thought of a failure and then brought in some feedback from my professor, as I am talking about an academic failure. I understand that failure should not be too old or too recent, but I did not find any worthwhile story to build other than my academic failure (6 yrs old). Do you think that should be a problem ? The way I built it was that I talked about my failure for around 100 words as its good to be as short as possible and then analyzed the failure and missed opportunities for next 200 words and then last 200 were my learnings from it. In between, I have brought in my professors feedback after the episode.

I am in a slight dilemma whether I can reuse the same story for Ross - challenging situation, essay. Posted this dilemma in Ross thread, but haven't gotten any response about it.

I have scheduled my interview for Tuck interview for 13th Oct. Wanted it as late as possible to prepare well.

I plan to use the Ross - challenging situation essay for this as well. Will have to change few things but I think they are pretty similar.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2008, 22:36
Does anyone have the questions for the recommenders?

cheerio,
ac.
Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants!   [#permalink] 08 Sep 2008, 22:36