Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 20:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2008, 03:42
S. No. Name Interviewed Submitted

1. Sam77Sam7 9/22 10/15

2. Filmcity 10/13 10/15

3. rgajare14 10/13 10/14

4. ac8706 9/23 10/14

5. prospect 9/15 10/15

6. cereal255 9/29 10/7

7. Madz not interviewed yet!! 10/15
Manager
Manager
Schools: Simon '11
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2008, 05:08
All right, just submitted my scholarship application since I won't have access to a fax tomorrow. Probably not as good as it could have been but it didn't turn out horribly which is all I can hope for at this point. I'll be happy if they consider me for admission, let alone scholarships.
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 12:24
I did my on-campus interview yesterday. I didn't get any question that haven't already been mentioned here. I was impressed with just how conversational the interview was, no hint of being "tested", if you will.

There were 8 people interviewing yesterday, but since the first-years have their fall break now, the campus was pretty empty. I got to sit in on a 2nd year real estate class which was very interesting.

The Q&A session with the adcom was interesting. I asked about loans for international students and I guess Citibank just killed their program with Tuck (not surprising). But she said the Dean is working hard to setup an alternative loan program and she is confident something will be arranged soon.

RF

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

VP
VP

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 16:58
Question!

How did you guys fill out the self-reported transcript form? I'm having a heck of a time trying to figure out how to enter my transcripts.

Did you guys put each semester in a separate "sample term"? If so, how did you enter courses that ran a full year? Did you put it in each "sample term"? How did you calculate the GPA?

I took summer classes too, but if I start to break each term up, I don't think I'll have enough space since there are 15 "sample terms".

I was thinking of cramming each year into a "sample term", but then I'd have to start inserting extra cells.

Help!

RF

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 178 [1] , given: 31

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 17:14
This post received
KUDOS
refurb wrote:
Question!

How did you guys fill out the self-reported transcript form? I'm having a heck of a time trying to figure out how to enter my transcripts.

Did you guys put each semester in a separate "sample term"? If so, how did you enter courses that ran a full year? Did you put it in each "sample term"? How did you calculate the GPA?

I took summer classes too, but if I start to break each term up, I don't think I'll have enough space since there are 15 "sample terms".

I was thinking of cramming each year into a "sample term", but then I'd have to start inserting extra cells.

Help!

RF

these forms are really ridiculous. What I did:
- I put each semester in a separate sample term.
- I put summer classes as their own term and called them "Summer Term"
- My transcript from school calculates my semesterly GPA so I just used that. I put the total GPA at the top of the form (ther's a field for it)
- I think it's okay if you have more sample terms - just add more! I think if they clearly follow the format, you're fine.

I hope this helps!!
ac.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 31

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 17:15
ooh and also: the tuck transcript form is the same as HBS w/ a different color. dunno if that helps but if you've done one, just copy past and voila!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Tuck, Ross (R1), Duke, Tepper, ISB (R2), Kenan Flagler (R2)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 17:16
refurb wrote:
I did my on-campus interview yesterday. I didn't get any question that haven't already been mentioned here. I was impressed with just how conversational the interview was, no hint of being "tested", if you will.

Mine was conversational too. And, everyone interviewing on the day I visited said the same thing. The challenge, for me, in such interviews is not losing guard.

Quote:
There were 8 people interviewing yesterday, but since the first-years have their fall break now, the campus was pretty empty. I got to sit in on a 2nd year real estate class which was very interesting.

Wow thats interesting. The day I interviewed, there were around 35 people and I think everyone was interviewing. Of course, it was couple of days before the early action deadline and plus it was a monday.

Quote:
The Q&A session with the adcom was interesting. I asked about loans for international students and I guess Citibank just killed their program with Tuck (not surprising). But she said the Dean is working hard to setup an alternative loan program and she is confident something will be arranged soon.

In the Q & A that I attended, the adcom stressed on the fact that since they are a top school THEY will make sure that you have the adequate resources.

RG
VP
VP

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 17:55
ac8706 wrote:
these forms are really ridiculous. What I did:
- I put each semester in a separate sample term.
- I put summer classes as their own term and called them "Summer Term"
- My transcript from school calculates my semesterly GPA so I just used that. I put the total GPA at the top of the form (ther's a field for it)
- I think it's okay if you have more sample terms - just add more! I think if they clearly follow the format, you're fine.

I hope this helps!!
ac.

Thanks! I just finished mine and I did basically what you did. I think it will work, it's pretty clearly laid out.

I have another issue! I attended two different undergrads which used two different GPA scales. Sooo..... I can't put a overall GPA in (it asks you not to convert to a 4-point scale).

I send the admissions people a quick email. We'll see what they say....

RF

VP
VP

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 17:58
rgajare14 wrote:
In the Q & A that I attended, the adcom stressed on the fact that since they are a top school THEY will make sure that you have the adequate resources.

RG

I think a lot of international students are really worried about it, but like you said, the top schools have a vested interest in fixing the problem, not only for prospective students, but also current students.

RF

VP
VP

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2008, 12:51
refurb wrote:
I have another issue! I attended two different undergrads which used two different GPA scales. Sooo..... I can't put an overall GPA in (it asks you not to convert to a 4-point scale).

I send the admissions people a quick email. We'll see what they say....

RF

FYI, the admissions staff said to leave the cumulative GPA and yearly GPA entries blank and to include a short blurb in the optional essay explaining why.

RF

VP
VP

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2008, 13:39
Another question about the transcripts form. This is probably a stupid question, but...

If you entered each course by term, how did you handle courses that ran the full year (two terms)? Did you enter the course in both terms along with the grade and calculate the GPA for each term?

RF

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2008, 16:53
I applied in the EA round and found the self-report transcript very annoying too. My transcript has several courses which do not count towards the GPA, so I decided put them as "Pass - Not included in Average". I didn't state the actual marks, because the GPA average won't add up otherwise.
In hindsight, I am not sure whether that will get me into trouble later on (if Tuck thinks I tried to lie). I am hesitant to email them again though, as I already bugged them earlier to fix something else. Don't want to be a pest.

This application process is so stressful.
VP
VP

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2008, 17:42
acwong wrote:
I applied in the EA round and found the self-report transcript very annoying too.

I kinda like it, but I kinda hate it too.

I like it because it combines all the undergrad work I did at two different schools. I think if they tried to decipher my transcripts alone, it would take some time.

The reason I hate it is because it kinda messes with my GPA too. I had a couple bad terms in my first two years, but when combined with the other courses I took that year, my GPA is pretty good. When you split it up into terms, I have one really good term and one bad one.

Oh well!

RF

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2008, 08:02
I had a similar situation and the Wharton adcom said it's OK to not report those marks. Now that's Wharton not Tuck. But seriously I don't think it's a big deal. It's not like you flat out lie about the grades.

acwong wrote:
I applied in the EA round and found the self-report transcript very annoying too. My transcript has several courses which do not count towards the GPA, so I decided put them as "Pass - Not included in Average". I didn't state the actual marks, because the GPA average won't add up otherwise.
In hindsight, I am not sure whether that will get me into trouble later on (if Tuck thinks I tried to lie). I am hesitant to email them again though, as I already bugged them earlier to fix something else. Don't want to be a pest.

This application process is so stressful.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2008, 13:14
I'm sitting on the Dartmouth Coach right now. Getting ready for the interview tomorrow :)

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Haas '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2008, 16:23
terp06 wrote:
I'm sitting on the Dartmouth Coach right now. Getting ready for the interview tomorrow :)

right on, terp...good luck!
Current Student
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2008, 00:24
terp06 wrote:

Good luck, buddy!!!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2008, 06:19
charlieb wrote:
I had a similar situation and the Wharton adcom said it's OK to not report those marks. Now that's Wharton not Tuck. But seriously I don't think it's a big deal. It's not like you flat out lie about the grades.

Thanks Charlie. Since there is a reception in my area today, I will probably ask the Adcom just to ease my mind.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2008, 11:07
I had my interview today. Same typical questions - Why Tuck, Why MBA. My interviewer also spent a fair amount of time drilling into my extracurricular involvements and leadership stories - this seemed quite important to them. At the end, they opened it up for me to ask questions about Tuck. Overall, I couldn't read my interviewer very well and I have no idea how I did. We'll see what happens.

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

VP
VP

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2008, 12:15
terp06 wrote:
My interviewer also spent a fair amount of time drilling into my extracurricular involvements and leadership stories - this seemed quite important to them.

That's really weird. I was expecting that, but I got zero questions about ECs! I put a couple on my resume that are kind of unique, so I thought I'd at least get a question out of curiosity.

RF

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants!   [#permalink] 27 Oct 2008, 12:15