Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 16:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Posts: 597
Location: Detroit, MI
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2008, 10:41
I am considering Tuck...

Any opinions on the usual type of candidates they tend to attract? A lot of IBers, or former consultants? Just wondering what the usual class make-up is like. As a career switcher with a pretty non-traditional background, I wonder how competitive I would be.

~Sam
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 1634
Location: Southern California
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2008, 11:03
sam77sam7 wrote:
I am considering Tuck...

Any opinions on the usual type of candidates they tend to attract? A lot of IBers, or former consultants? Just wondering what the usual class make-up is like. As a career switcher with a pretty non-traditional background, I wonder how competitive I would be.

~Sam


I'd say its pretty diverse. IB and Consulting tend to be the most popular post-graduate careers, due to the structured recruiting process and the relative difficulty of getting smaller companies to come out to Hanover to recruit.

Tuck has a very close knit culture. More than anything, they are looking for people who get along well with others and fit into the school socially. It is difficult to offer seats to socially awkward people when your class is only 240, they are out in the middle of nowhere, New Hampshire, and the class is very tight-knit/spends a lot of time with each other.

_________________

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Oct 2007
Posts: 608
Location: The High Seas
Schools: Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2008, 11:58
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I've also heard that Tuck students are very socially aware (which is awesome, my kind of crowd). The article I read ranked them in the top 3...

I know Yale was #1, and #2...was either Tuck or Haas.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 04 Dec 2007
Posts: 1689
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2008, 15:15
extra blank for some reason

Last edited by isa on 18 Jul 2008, 15:50, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 04 Dec 2007
Posts: 1689
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2008, 15:49
Interesting QA with Dean Danos:

http://blog.accepted.com/acceptedcom_blog/2007/2/9/qa-with-tuck-dean-paul-danos.html

Interesting that he emphasizes the need to fit with their culture...
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 1634
Location: Southern California
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2008, 17:49
ac8706 wrote:
Interesting QA with Dean Danos:

http://blog.accepted.com/acceptedcom_blog/2007/2/9/qa-with-tuck-dean-paul-danos.html

Interesting that he emphasizes the need to fit with their culture...


It's especially important at the smaller schools. An outlier could get lost in the crowd and do his/her own thing at a school like Wharton or Columbia, but they will stick out like a sore thumb at Tuck.

_________________

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 1634
Location: Southern California
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 15:08
Here's a bullet point that I did research on earlier today. I had an impression in my mind that Tuck is a very North East / New England focused school and that most of the alumni/students are from there/end up there when they graduate. I found that only 50% of Tuck's graduates end up in New England or the NYC area upon graduation, and the rest are spread out throughout the country and the world. I plan to return to California when I graduate, so the West Coast %s were something that I paid attention to personally.

Tuck's class last year was 54% in the North East, 13% on the West Coast
HBS' class last year was 43% in the North East, 15% on the West Coast
Wharton's class last year was 47% in the North East, 16% on the West Coast
Chicago GSB's class last year was 31% in the North East, 30% in the Midwest, and 11.5% on the West Coast

Chicago's statistic really stuck out to me. I would have figured that Chicago has a stronger hold on the West Coast than Tuck does. I suppose that in sheer numbers - they do, but % wise, they are very similar.

I am convinced that Tuck can place you anywhere in the world - you will just have to work for it and you will have to make the effort to get outside of Hanover more frequently than others.

_________________

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 05 Aug 2007
Posts: 1502
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 15:59
You're probably right terp06 - 43% of the class was already resident in NYC or New England prior to matriculation, so maybe the NYC/New England placement numbers are skewed even further by that fact. I have no doubt Tuck places extremely well on the West Coast as well.

And btw I just also noticed that average GMAT for the Class of '09 was 713, up 3 points from '08. I think there's certainly some truth to 720 being the new 700.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 1634
Location: Southern California
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 17:33
solaris1 wrote:
You're probably right terp06 - 43% of the class was already resident in NYC or New England prior to matriculation, so maybe the NYC/New England placement numbers are skewed even further by that fact. I have no doubt Tuck places extremely well on the West Coast as well.

And btw I just also noticed that average GMAT for the Class of '09 was 713, up 3 points from '08. I think there's certainly some truth to 720 being the new 700.


I noticed that also, however do not take it the wrong way - I do not believe that Tuck is obsessive about the GMAT. They are looking for team players and the right fit first and foremost. You can have a 790, but if you don't like Hanover and don't like the Tuck culture - you're not going to get in.

_________________

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 04 Dec 2007
Posts: 1689
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 20:09
So how are you all indicating that you'd be a good fit for their culture? like terp pointed out, it seems to matter quite a bit more at the smaller schools - heck this is even true for some extent for getting hired at certain companies that have a strong corporate culture!

I know I'm planning a trip to Hanover in the early fall, also to some Tuck-on-the-road type events, etc to get some additional insight into their student body and then hope to tie that in to my essays. Unfortunately, I don't know any current Tuck students or alums so I'm going to have rely pretty heavily on those types of organized events...

cheers,
ac.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 1634
Location: Southern California
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 20:12
ac8706 wrote:
So how are you all indicating that you'd be a good fit for their culture? like terp pointed out, it seems to matter quite a bit more at the smaller schools - heck this is even true for some extent for getting hired at certain companies that have a strong corporate culture!

I know I'm planning a trip to Hanover in the early fall, also to some Tuck-on-the-road type events, etc to get some additional insight into their student body and then hope to tie that in to my essays. Unfortunately, I don't know any current Tuck students or alums so I'm going to have rely pretty heavily on those types of organized events...

cheers,
ac.


Contact members of clubs - they should be willing to speak with you. But by and far, the most important part is visiting Hanover and making sure it's the right environment for you.

_________________

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Mar 2006
Posts: 497
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2008, 14:56
I am interested in applying for Tuck 2009 as well. What are all you guys career objectives are? I am not really interested in either IB or consulting. I am interested in Healthcare management. Tuck has the healthcare initiative.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 1634
Location: Southern California
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2008, 15:02
eileen1017 wrote:
I am interested in applying for Tuck 2009 as well. What are all you guys career objectives are? I am not really interested in either IB or consulting. I am interested in Healthcare management. Tuck has the healthcare initiative.


A lot of the big names in Healthcare recruit at Tuck. Generally, there are only 5-10 students per class interested in Healthcare from what I have heard, but you are correct - the Healthcare initiative is a pretty big deal over there and they are definitely trying to ramp things up.

I have been thinking things over a bit regarding Tuck. I think that Tuck has a reputation as being "difficult to recruit from" for non-traditional fields. I really feel that this reputation was earned back in the 70s, 80s, and early 90s before the Internet became main stream. Back then, I could imagine that it would be sort of a pain to find job postings and openings, fax or mail your resume and cover letters around, etc. Nowadays, I think that most employers can get a pretty good feel for who you are over the phone and it is easy to reach out to different recruiters and companies via e-mail. Yes, it's still a pain to hop on a 2 hour bus ride to Boston Logan Airport, but I can certainly think of worse inconveniences.

If the wonders of technology can allow remote work arrangements for people who live in rural areas - I really doubt that it would be very difficult nowadays for a go-getter at Tuck to land a job anywhere they want to in the world. One example - look at Tuck's placement record in private equity/venture capital. It's truly impressive, and even more so when you consider that th school is in Hanover. These firms don't recruit on campus very much.

_________________

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 1893
Location: Oklahoma City
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 423 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2008, 16:53
Stats as of Orientation
Students with partners: 42%
Students with children: 10%

Same class, upon graduation 2 years later:
Students with Partners: 63%
Students with children: 63%

Gotta love a snow-packed rural town with nothing to do except.... :-D

perfectexamscore wrote:
isn't new hampshire really cold in winter? what's there to do at Darthmouth?

_________________

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2006
Posts: 624
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2008, 18:22
jallenmorris wrote:
Stats as of Orientation
Students with partners: 42%
Students with children: 10%

Same class, upon graduation 2 years later:
Students with Partners: 63%
Students with children: 63%

Gotta love a snow-packed rural town with nothing to do except.... :-D

perfectexamscore wrote:
isn't new hampshire really cold in winter? what's there to do at Darthmouth?


Are those numbers real?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Posts: 4320
Location: Back in Chicago, IL
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2008, 18:27
I think he is messing with you. However, having talked with lots of students/alums at various schools it does seem common for married couples to get pregnant during second year. It is a pretty good time, you are used to living on one salary. A few people have said internationals sometimes have kids during school because without a visa their wives are at home without working.

_________________

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 1893
Location: Oklahoma City
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 423 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2008, 19:33
Yes, I was joking around with those numbers. Even though I don't have numbers for it, I'm sure there is at least some truth to it, maybe not 63%/63% like I said, but maybe some truth. I'm sure there will be a baby-boom in the midwest due to the ice storms we experienced last December/January. Ok, enough about this, the conversation digressed rather quickly.

Is Tuck a school that really likes the 80/80 split that people talk about? Also, is the 80/80 split a myth someone with an 80/80 split made up in order to appear even better? I hope adcoms like it because I scored Quant 79% and Verbal 95%.

_________________

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 18 Sep 2006
Posts: 963
Location: Chicago, IL
Schools: Chicago Booth 2010
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2008, 19:36
jallenmorris wrote:
Yes, I was joking around with those numbers. Even though I don't have numbers for it, I'm sure there is at least some truth to it, maybe not 63%/63% like I said, but maybe some truth. I'm sure there will be a baby-boom in the midwest due to the ice storms we experienced last December/January. Ok, enough about this, the conversation digressed rather quickly.

Is Tuck a school that really likes the 80/80 split that people talk about? Also, is the 80/80 split a myth someone with an 80/80 split made up in order to appear even better? I hope adcoms like it because I scored Quant 79% and Verbal 95%.

dont know about tuck, but i remember a wharton adcom explicitly mentioning the 80/80 split when i visited campus last year
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 1634
Location: Southern California
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2008, 21:49
riverripper wrote:
I think he is messing with you. However, having talked with lots of students/alums at various schools it does seem common for married couples to get pregnant during second year.


Banking/consulting signing bonuses must assist with that phenomenom.

_________________

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 10 Dec 2007
Posts: 327
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 07:26
terp06 wrote:
eileen1017 wrote:
I am interested in applying for Tuck 2009 as well. What are all you guys career objectives are? I am not really interested in either IB or consulting. I am interested in Healthcare management. Tuck has the healthcare initiative.


A lot of the big names in Healthcare recruit at Tuck. Generally, there are only 5-10 students per class interested in Healthcare from what I have heard, but you are correct - the Healthcare initiative is a pretty big deal over there and they are definitely trying to ramp things up.

I have been thinking things over a bit regarding Tuck. I think that Tuck has a reputation as being "difficult to recruit from" for non-traditional fields. I really feel that this reputation was earned back in the 70s, 80s, and early 90s before the Internet became main stream. Back then, I could imagine that it would be sort of a pain to find job postings and openings, fax or mail your resume and cover letters around, etc. Nowadays, I think that most employers can get a pretty good feel for who you are over the phone and it is easy to reach out to different recruiters and companies via e-mail. Yes, it's still a pain to hop on a 2 hour bus ride to Boston Logan Airport, but I can certainly think of worse inconveniences.

If the wonders of technology can allow remote work arrangements for people who live in rural areas - I really doubt that it would be very difficult nowadays for a go-getter at Tuck to land a job anywhere they want to in the world. One example - look at Tuck's placement record in private equity/venture capital. It's truly impressive, and even more so when you consider that th school is in Hanover. These firms don't recruit on campus very much.


Plus, Tuck is improving its curriculum in the new technology departments.

Concerning the time away from major airports: BTW: That was one of my major concerns as well.

1. If you're in Downtown NY, it takes you at least an hour to get to an airport as well in heavy traffic.
2. For 2nd round interviews, companies normally pay for your flight. That way, you can use one of the closer airports (eg Manchester) - which you normally wouldnt as prices are way steeper from and to there - and Manchester is only an hour away.


Concerning things to do:

As long as there is no snow: Oh the great outdoors: I am looking forward to a lot of hiking, mountain biking, lakes etc. Its beautiful up there.
Winter: Skiing (Dartmouth Skiway!), Hockey, Gym. Movies, Theatre, Trips.

But: Seriously, who expects to do much of anything in their first year?
Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants!   [#permalink] 28 Jul 2008, 07:26
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
46 Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! solaris1 1424 15 Jul 2008, 16:24
104 Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! MGOBLUE2 2298 11 Jul 2008, 12:07
80 Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! isa 989 10 Jul 2008, 19:05
34 Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2009 Applicants agold 632 12 Jun 2008, 10:18
21 Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! isa 530 19 May 2008, 20:10
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  37    Next  [ 738 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.