Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 05:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2008, 02:35
There will be no classes until September. The second years only start Mid September I think, so I guess they wont schedule visits until at least then.

This will almost certainly apply for most schools.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 31

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2008, 14:31
So am reading the Tuck website a bit to better understand their Early Action option and how it compares with a November application.

here's what their website says about Early Action:
Quote:
What is Early Action?
The Early Action round is a great option for reapplicants or for prospective students who have completed their business school research and know that Tuck is their first choice. Early Action provides applicants with the certainty of learning in December whether they have been offered admission to Tuck. This offer is nonbinding, giving admitted students the chance to explore other options until the January response deadline. Any applicant who is accepted in the Early Action round and who would like to secure a spot in the incoming class will be required to submit a nonrefundable deposit.

Is it best to apply early or later?
It is to your advantage to apply as early as you are ready. The admissions committee cannot predict the quality of future applications, and is therefore inclined to admit well-qualified applicants early in the process. In addition, early application ensures that you will receive a decision earlier. However, it is important not to rush your application. We encourage you to take the time necessary to submit a thoughtful, well-prepared application. Regardless of the round in which your application has been submitted, the admissions committee will give full and fair consideration to your candidacy.

1) Does anyone know if there is a significant advantage to applying in the Early round as opposed to November?
2) It seems that with the Early round, you have to submit a decision by Jan 12, 2009. Do you think most schools will have released decisions by then? I could be getting my dates mixed up but I thought some schools didn't release until the end of Jan....

cheers,
ac.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2008, 15:14
ac8706 wrote:
So am reading the Tuck website a bit to better understand their Early Action option and how it compares with a November application.

here's what their website says about Early Action:
Quote:
What is Early Action?
The Early Action round is a great option for reapplicants or for prospective students who have completed their business school research and know that Tuck is their first choice. Early Action provides applicants with the certainty of learning in December whether they have been offered admission to Tuck. This offer is nonbinding, giving admitted students the chance to explore other options until the January response deadline. Any applicant who is accepted in the Early Action round and who would like to secure a spot in the incoming class will be required to submit a nonrefundable deposit.

Is it best to apply early or later?
It is to your advantage to apply as early as you are ready. The admissions committee cannot predict the quality of future applications, and is therefore inclined to admit well-qualified applicants early in the process. In addition, early application ensures that you will receive a decision earlier. However, it is important not to rush your application. We encourage you to take the time necessary to submit a thoughtful, well-prepared application. Regardless of the round in which your application has been submitted, the admissions committee will give full and fair consideration to your candidacy.

1) Does anyone know if there is a significant advantage to applying in the Early round as opposed to November?
2) It seems that with the Early round, you have to submit a decision by Jan 12, 2009. Do you think most schools will have released decisions by then? I could be getting my dates mixed up but I thought some schools didn't release until the end of Jan....

cheers,
ac.

I believe that Wharton, Chicago, and Kellogg should all release by the end of December for the most part. HBS, Stanford, and MIT most likely will not.

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 701 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2008, 15:20
terp06 wrote:
I believe that Wharton, Chicago, and Kellogg should all release by the end of December for the most part. HBS, Stanford, and MIT most likely will not.

Wharton and Chicago have released before x-mas in the past but that is not a sure bet...with significant increases in applications its possible they wont. Kellogg does theirs on a rolling basis, I found out at the end of November I was admitted...Faceman found out after 5pm on decision day.

Many schools call people the day before or the morning of the deadlines.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Schools: Harvard '11
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 28

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2008, 16:16
Wharton's website says December 22 is the release date. I expect them to uphold that regardless of prediction application increases.

terp06 wrote:
SVP
SVP

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2008, 20:37
Those dates are good to know - thanks!

Came across this interview (http://www.mbaadmission.com/tuck/):

Quote:
When do you encourage applicants to apply?

It is to your advantage to apply in the earlier rounds. The admissions committee cannot predict the quality of future applications, and is therefore inclined to admit well-qualified applicants early in the process. In addition, early application ensures that you will receive a decision earlier. That said, we caution people not to rush with the application—it does show! Be thoughtful in your responses; be sure your application is the best it can be. Regardless of the application round, the admissions committee will give full and fair consideration to your candidacy. We do have spaces left for the last round.

CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 255 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 10:52
ac8706 wrote:
Those dates are good to know - thanks!

Came across this interview (http://www.mbaadmission.com/tuck/):

Quote:
When do you encourage applicants to apply?

It is to your advantage to apply in the earlier rounds. The admissions committee cannot predict the quality of future applications, and is therefore inclined to admit well-qualified applicants early in the process. In addition, early application ensures that you will receive a decision earlier. That said, we caution people not to rush with the application—it does show! Be thoughtful in your responses; be sure your application is the best it can be. Regardless of the application round, the admissions committee will give full and fair consideration to your candidacy. We do have spaces left for the last round.

thanks for the link.

it says 80% of students live on campus during their first year at Tuck. I thought all first year students were REQUIRED to live on campus.

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'. -Homer Simpson

SVP
SVP

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 10:55
There is definitely no requirement. Many students are married and/or have families that won't fit into the dorms. They have a community of town homes called Sachem Village which are a couple miles from campus for married students.

SVP
SVP

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 13:43
I think Dartmouth requires their undergrads to live on campus for the first year - maybe that's what you're thinking of?

terp06 wrote:
There is definitely no requirement. Many students are married and/or have families that won't fit into the dorms. They have a community of town homes called Sachem Village which are a couple miles from campus for married students.
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 255 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2008, 06:41
ac8706 wrote:
I think Dartmouth requires their undergrads to live on campus for the first year - maybe that's what you're thinking of?

terp06 wrote:

thanks. that makes sense.

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'. -Homer Simpson

SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 440 [0], given: 32

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2008, 07:14
I just got an email from Tuck. I had the following link in it.

http://www.tuck.dartmouth.edu/news/vide ... larke.html

I reported my scores to them from my 7/25/08 test. Do you think this is in response to that ? It would have been about 2 weeks ago. When do schools start to receive score reports?

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Director
Director
Schools: Cornell '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 29

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2008, 07:36
Yeah, I started getting these emails a couple weeks after I sent my score reports to schools. I also got emails from other schools because I "opted in". Some of the emails were quite personal (from lower tier schools) and others more general.

jallenmorris wrote:

I reported my scores to them from my 7/25/08 test. Do you think this is in response to that ? It would have been about 2 weeks ago. When do schools start to receive score reports?

"George is getting upset!"

SVP
SVP

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2008, 07:36
Darn, and I was starting to feel special :-D lol
raabenb wrote:
Yeah, I started getting these emails a couple weeks after I sent my score reports to schools. I also got emails from other schools because I "opted in". Some of the emails were quite personal (from lower tier schools) and others more general.

jallenmorris wrote:

J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Director
Director

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2008, 07:45
Wait til you start getting the scholarship offers from the lower tiers who want your high GMAT!

jallenmorris wrote:
Darn, and I was starting to feel special :-D lol
raabenb wrote:

jallenmorris wrote:

Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 15

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2008, 07:46
jallenmorris wrote:

I got the same email, but I haven't sent my scores to Tuck yet. I think I received it because I started the application.
SVP
SVP

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2008, 07:51
I've been getting stuff from University of Tulsa after my 650. They have this marketing campaign going about your "fortune" awaits you at University of Tulsa and actually sent me a box of 4 fortune cookies! I thought it was clever, but then thought "Does anyone outside of Tulsa's city limits respect Tulsa's MBA program?

I let the dog eat the cookies. He liked 'em.

J Allen Morris

Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2008, 10:25
Is the new Tuck application up?
SVP
SVP

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2008, 11:13
raabenb wrote:
Wait til you start getting the scholarship offers from the lower tiers who want your high GMAT!

It's hilarious that you said this today because I just checked my email and receive an email from Boston University stating:

Congratulations! Through the Graduate Management Admission Search Service (GMASS), you have been identified as a preferred candidate for Boston University’s management programs. For the 2008 entering class, more than 75% of students with a similar GMAT score were admitted and received a LEAD Fellowship – valued up to $20,000 per year.

Boston University:
Middle 80% GMAT: 600 - 730.
Middle 80% GPA: 2.9- 3.9
US News Rank: #40

They are the pork to Harvard's Chicken...the other white meat. (the other MBA in Boston)....well, not even that. There's Harvard, MIT, Boston College, Boston University.

J Allen Morris

Director
Director

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2008, 11:15
I got the same exact email from BU today (just I had a better scholarship offer) :P Cant wait until I get that scholarship offer from Tuck 8-)

Congratulations! Through the Graduate Management Admission Search Service (GMASS), you have been identified as a preferred candidate for Boston University’s management programs. For the 2008 entering class, more than 75% of students with a similar GMAT score were admitted and received a Dean's Prize Scholarship – valued up to $30,000 per year.

SVP
SVP

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2008, 11:24
Same.

Congratulations! Through the Graduate Management Admission Search Service (GMASS), you have been identified as a preferred candidate for Boston University’s management programs. For the 2008 entering class, more than 75% of students with a similar GMAT score were admitted and received a Dean's Prize Scholarship – valued up to $30,000 per year.

That's wierd. You have a higher GMAT score than I do jallenmorris. They must be figuring GPA into this as well.

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants!   [#permalink] 12 Aug 2008, 11:24