Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 18:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 1893
Location: Oklahoma City
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 440 [0], given: 32

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 07:50
Just got an email back from Tuck admissions regarding my question about the 80/80 split. Didn't really even address my actual question of the 80/80 split. No where in the email did they specifically mention the 80/80 split, it was just generic stuff about no minimum GMAT score but the 2008 class has an average of 710. That's higher than 2007 for sure!

Tuck Response: wrote:
Thank you for your email and your interest in the Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth. Tuck does not have a minimum GMAT score, TOEFL score or GPA requirement - admitted students have a range of scores. If you do not score well on any part of the GMAT or TOEFL, we encourage you to take the exam again in an effort to improve your score. For the Class of 2008 the average score was 710 and the admitted - student range was 560-790. The average TOEFL score was 274 and the admitted-student range was 250-300. The GPA was 3.4.

The admissions committee takes into consideration your highest test score. The Tuck application allows students to report up to two GMAT test scores. If you have scored better on one test in the verbal section and better on the other in quantitative section, we will consider your highest quantitative and highest verbal scores.

Thank you again for your interest, and please let us know if you have any additional questions as the application process continues.

_________________

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2008
Posts: 269
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2008, 16:49
Hey Guys,

I have been interested in this school for a while. I am an applicant from India, but have been staying in U.S. for over 6 years. I am married, a bit atypical of most applicants on this forum. After taking a few years of experience in United States, I plan to return to India.

I have stayed in rural US for a while and that doesn't bother me much. I also like Tuck's emphasis on General Management. Also, "Married" school works out better for me than "single" one. I have talked to a couple of Tuck alums and they absolutely loved their life in the school.
However (damn that h word :) ), I have a few queries

1. I have a feeling that Tuck's brand is not as well recognized internationally as it is in US. Many of my friends who work in Consulting/ Management positions haven't even heard about the school. A lot of people don't even know that Dartmouth is an ivy-league school. Do you think that it is a potential problem going forward?

2. Are there any big companies around Hanover (Except Boston which is farther than my wife is willing to commute) where spouses can find employment? My wife is currently working and I really don't want her to sit at home neither are we ready for LDR.

3. How bad is Hanover winter compared to Columbus OH? I have stayed there for a couple of years and didn't like the winter that much, but then I used to commute to my work place.


Appreciate all the responses.

Last edited by aakashganga on 30 Jul 2008, 17:48, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 04 Dec 2007
Posts: 1689
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 31

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2008, 19:41
aakashganga wrote:
Hey Guys,

I have been interested in this school for a while. I am an applicant from India, but have been staying in U.S. for over 6 years. I am married, a bit atypical of most applicants on this forum. After taking a few years of experience in consulting in United States, I plan to return to India.

I have stayed in rural US for a while and that doesn't bother me much. I also like Tuck's emphasis on General Management. Also, "Married" school works out better for me than "single" one. I have talked to a couple of Tuck alums and they absolutely loved their life in the school.
However (damn that h word :) ), I have a few queries

1. I have a feeling that Tuck's brand is not as well recognized internationally as it is in US. Many of my friends who work in Consulting/ Management positions haven't even heard about the school. A lot of people don't even know that Dartmouth is an ivy-league school. Do you think that it is a potential problem going forward?

2. Are there any big companies around Hanover (Except Boston which is farther than my wife is willing to commute) where spouses can find employment? My wife is currently working and I really don't want her to sit at home neither are we ready for LDR.

3. How bad is Hanover winter compared to Columbus OH? I have stayed there for a couple of years and didn't like the winter that much, but then I used to commute to my work place.


Appreciate all the responses.


A few thoughts for you:

for #2: off hand, I don't know of large companies around the Hanover area...what about working at Dartmouth in some capacity? in admissions, student life, etc? I've heard that in many cases, spouses of international students can more easily find employment with the university...

for #3: the weather in Hanover is similar to Columbus...just quite a bit snowier :) not sure about absolute numbers in terms of inches snow/year or anything but it feels like the snow in Hanover just sticks a lot longer...and refuses to melt! :lol:

cheers,
ac.
Current Student
avatar
Affiliations: CPA, CFA
Joined: 30 Jul 2008
Posts: 172
Location: East Coast
Schools: Darden Class of 2012
WE 1: Big 4 Accounting
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2008, 05:29
hey all, i think i'm in....
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 1893
Location: Oklahoma City
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 440 [0], given: 32

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2008, 05:48
with a username like tuck20xx I figured you'd be more than in :-D
_________________

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2008
Posts: 269
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2008, 17:01
Has anyone tried to schedule a campus visit? I am visiting Boston at the end of this month and thinking of visiting Tuck as well. But, the website doesn't allow scheduling a campus visit. Here is the URL: http://www.tuck.dartmouth.edu/admissions/visit.html

If anyone can figure out how to schedule a visit, please let me know. If I visit the campus, I would write about my experience at Tuck. Please let me know.

P.S. It seems Tuck does a poor job of updating its website. I still see 2007 interview reference on the web page above.
"Applicant-initiated interviews:

Tuck offers all applicants the opportunity to interview on campus in Hanover. Interviews are scheduled online on a first-come, first-served basis, so please request an interview as soon as you decide to apply. On-campus interviews begin in September 2007. Please schedule your interview online at least five days prior to the date you'd like to visit. Your interview must be completed by the published deadline for the round in which you are applying. Please note that all applicant-initiated interviews are conducted on campus only.
"

Definitely not something that you can expect from a well-known school. :roll:
Current Student
avatar
Affiliations: CPA, CFA
Joined: 30 Jul 2008
Posts: 172
Location: East Coast
Schools: Darden Class of 2012
WE 1: Big 4 Accounting
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2008, 10:08
ha yeah except it could be 2009 or 2015
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2006
Posts: 624
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2008, 10:22
aakashganga wrote:
Has anyone tried to schedule a campus visit? I am visiting Boston at the end of this month and thinking of visiting Tuck as well. But, the website doesn't allow scheduling a campus visit. Here is the URL: http://www.tuck.dartmouth.edu/admissions/visit.html

If anyone can figure out how to schedule a visit, please let me know. If I visit the campus, I would write about my experience at Tuck. Please let me know.

P.S. It seems Tuck does a poor job of updating its website. I still see 2007 interview reference on the web page above.
"Applicant-initiated interviews:

Tuck offers all applicants the opportunity to interview on campus in Hanover. Interviews are scheduled online on a first-come, first-served basis, so please request an interview as soon as you decide to apply. On-campus interviews begin in September 2007. Please schedule your interview online at least five days prior to the date you'd like to visit. Your interview must be completed by the published deadline for the round in which you are applying. Please note that all applicant-initiated interviews are conducted on campus only.
"

Definitely not something that you can expect from a well-known school. :roll:


Tuck really is in its own little bubble and sometimes that leads to websites not getting updated. This doesn't really apply for adcom controlled sites but when I visited a student was telling me that the school had to threaten to pull funding from any clubs that didn't update their website because nobody was updating the club sites. He said they are in such a little bubble there that they sometimes forget the rest of the world exists. The students don't need to use websites to get info because they all see eachother every day and everybody has everyone elses email address (they do a lot of mass emailing). The admin got on their cases though because for prospectives and others outside the bubble the websites are the face of the school.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2008
Posts: 269
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2008, 12:44
So how could one schedule a campus visit?

The website doesn't help much in this regard.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2006
Posts: 624
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2008, 13:34
aakashganga wrote:
So how could one schedule a campus visit?

The website doesn't help much in this regard.


They just haven't set their class visit schedule for next year yet. There are no classes right now. I would imagine it will be up within the next few weeks. Once it's up, you just pick a date and time and sign up thorugh the website. That's what I did for my visit last year, it's very simple.

Edit: Just saw that you want to visit the end of this month. I don't think they will be doing class visits yet. I think they start in September.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 10 Dec 2007
Posts: 327
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2008, 02:35
There will be no classes until September. The second years only start Mid September I think, so I guess they wont schedule visits until at least then.

This will almost certainly apply for most schools.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 04 Dec 2007
Posts: 1689
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 31

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2008, 14:31
So am reading the Tuck website a bit to better understand their Early Action option and how it compares with a November application.

here's what their website says about Early Action:
Quote:
What is Early Action?
The Early Action round is a great option for reapplicants or for prospective students who have completed their business school research and know that Tuck is their first choice. Early Action provides applicants with the certainty of learning in December whether they have been offered admission to Tuck. This offer is nonbinding, giving admitted students the chance to explore other options until the January response deadline. Any applicant who is accepted in the Early Action round and who would like to secure a spot in the incoming class will be required to submit a nonrefundable deposit.

Is it best to apply early or later?
It is to your advantage to apply as early as you are ready. The admissions committee cannot predict the quality of future applications, and is therefore inclined to admit well-qualified applicants early in the process. In addition, early application ensures that you will receive a decision earlier. However, it is important not to rush your application. We encourage you to take the time necessary to submit a thoughtful, well-prepared application. Regardless of the round in which your application has been submitted, the admissions committee will give full and fair consideration to your candidacy.


1) Does anyone know if there is a significant advantage to applying in the Early round as opposed to November?
2) It seems that with the Early round, you have to submit a decision by Jan 12, 2009. Do you think most schools will have released decisions by then? I could be getting my dates mixed up but I thought some schools didn't release until the end of Jan....

cheers,
ac.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 1634
Location: Southern California
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2008, 15:14
ac8706 wrote:
So am reading the Tuck website a bit to better understand their Early Action option and how it compares with a November application.

here's what their website says about Early Action:
Quote:
What is Early Action?
The Early Action round is a great option for reapplicants or for prospective students who have completed their business school research and know that Tuck is their first choice. Early Action provides applicants with the certainty of learning in December whether they have been offered admission to Tuck. This offer is nonbinding, giving admitted students the chance to explore other options until the January response deadline. Any applicant who is accepted in the Early Action round and who would like to secure a spot in the incoming class will be required to submit a nonrefundable deposit.

Is it best to apply early or later?
It is to your advantage to apply as early as you are ready. The admissions committee cannot predict the quality of future applications, and is therefore inclined to admit well-qualified applicants early in the process. In addition, early application ensures that you will receive a decision earlier. However, it is important not to rush your application. We encourage you to take the time necessary to submit a thoughtful, well-prepared application. Regardless of the round in which your application has been submitted, the admissions committee will give full and fair consideration to your candidacy.


1) Does anyone know if there is a significant advantage to applying in the Early round as opposed to November?
2) It seems that with the Early round, you have to submit a decision by Jan 12, 2009. Do you think most schools will have released decisions by then? I could be getting my dates mixed up but I thought some schools didn't release until the end of Jan....

cheers,
ac.


I believe that Wharton, Chicago, and Kellogg should all release by the end of December for the most part. HBS, Stanford, and MIT most likely will not.
_________________

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Posts: 4320
Location: Back in Chicago, IL
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 702 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2008, 15:20
terp06 wrote:
I believe that Wharton, Chicago, and Kellogg should all release by the end of December for the most part. HBS, Stanford, and MIT most likely will not.


Wharton and Chicago have released before x-mas in the past but that is not a sure bet...with significant increases in applications its possible they wont. Kellogg does theirs on a rolling basis, I found out at the end of November I was admitted...Faceman found out after 5pm on decision day.

Many schools call people the day before or the morning of the deadlines.
_________________

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 25 Dec 2007
Posts: 524
Schools: Harvard '11
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 28

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2008, 16:16
Wharton's website says December 22 is the release date. I expect them to uphold that regardless of prediction application increases.

terp06 wrote:
I believe that Wharton, Chicago, and Kellogg should all release by the end of December for the most part. HBS, Stanford, and MIT most likely will not.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 04 Dec 2007
Posts: 1689
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 31

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2008, 20:37
Those dates are good to know - thanks!

Came across this interview (http://www.mbaadmission.com/tuck/):

Quote:
When do you encourage applicants to apply?

It is to your advantage to apply in the earlier rounds. The admissions committee cannot predict the quality of future applications, and is therefore inclined to admit well-qualified applicants early in the process. In addition, early application ensures that you will receive a decision earlier. That said, we caution people not to rush with the application—it does show! Be thoughtful in your responses; be sure your application is the best it can be. Regardless of the application round, the admissions committee will give full and fair consideration to your candidacy. We do have spaces left for the last round.

CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 2769
Location: New York City
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 257 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 10:52
ac8706 wrote:
Those dates are good to know - thanks!

Came across this interview (http://www.mbaadmission.com/tuck/):

Quote:
When do you encourage applicants to apply?

It is to your advantage to apply in the earlier rounds. The admissions committee cannot predict the quality of future applications, and is therefore inclined to admit well-qualified applicants early in the process. In addition, early application ensures that you will receive a decision earlier. That said, we caution people not to rush with the application—it does show! Be thoughtful in your responses; be sure your application is the best it can be. Regardless of the application round, the admissions committee will give full and fair consideration to your candidacy. We do have spaces left for the last round.


thanks for the link.

it says 80% of students live on campus during their first year at Tuck. I thought all first year students were REQUIRED to live on campus.
_________________

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'. -Homer Simpson

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 1634
Location: Southern California
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 10:55
There is definitely no requirement. Many students are married and/or have families that won't fit into the dorms. They have a community of town homes called Sachem Village which are a couple miles from campus for married students.
_________________

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 04 Dec 2007
Posts: 1689
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 31

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 13:43
I think Dartmouth requires their undergrads to live on campus for the first year - maybe that's what you're thinking of?

terp06 wrote:
There is definitely no requirement. Many students are married and/or have families that won't fit into the dorms. They have a community of town homes called Sachem Village which are a couple miles from campus for married students.
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 2769
Location: New York City
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 257 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2008, 06:41
ac8706 wrote:
I think Dartmouth requires their undergrads to live on campus for the first year - maybe that's what you're thinking of?

terp06 wrote:
There is definitely no requirement. Many students are married and/or have families that won't fit into the dorms. They have a community of town homes called Sachem Village which are a couple miles from campus for married students.

thanks. that makes sense.
_________________

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'. -Homer Simpson

Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants!   [#permalink] 07 Aug 2008, 06:41
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
104 Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! MGOBLUE2 2298 11 Jul 2008, 12:07
80 Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! isa 989 10 Jul 2008, 19:05
34 Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2009 Applicants agold 632 12 Jun 2008, 10:18
21 Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! isa 530 19 May 2008, 20:10
53 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants devansh_god 722 04 May 2008, 06:22
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  37    Next  [ 738 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.