Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 10:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all UCLA Anderson Fall 2010 applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: UCLA Anderson
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Calling all UCLA Anderson Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2009, 04:38
UCLA 2010 Applicant R1
Applied: 10
INTERVIEW: 6 (60%)
Admit:
Waitlist
Denied

topa* (REAPP) - INTERVIEW INVITE 11/13
mbabiden08* - INTERVIEW INVITE 11/23
craggy* - INTERVIEW INVITE 11/23
asianstyles - INTERVIEW INVITE 11/24
bball2693 - INTERVIEW INVITE 11/24
doclkk - INTERVIEW INVITE 11/27-30
sarmlove - INTERVIEW INVITE 12/2

FChang
albyman32
ramang
Pook
GradBoy

UCLA 2010 Applicant R2Applied
Admit
Waitlist
Denied

Unhedged
topher
duuuma (REAPP)
Freshair
Deepauk
ntenzer

UCLA Parttime R1 - FEMBA
AndersonBound FEMBA (REAPP)
kdagreen FEMBA
GoBruins FEMBA

Didn't see a thread for Anderson, so thought I'd start it up. I'm going for R1.

Deadlines (decision released by):
R1: Oct 14 (Jan 13)
R2: Jan 13 (Mar 31)
R3: Mar 10 (May 19)

Essays
1. Describe the ways in which your family and/or community have helped shape your development. (750 words)

2. Describe the biggest risk you have ever taken, the outcome, and what you learned in the process. (500 words)

3. Describe your short-term and long-term career goals. What is your motivation for pursuing an MBA now and how will UCLA Anderson help you to achieve your goals? (750 words)

4. Select and respond to one of the following two questions. We would like you to respond to the question by recording an audio or video response (of no more than 1-2 minutes). If you are unable to submit a response via audio/video, then please upload a written response instead (250 words), using the 'Upload Document' button.
- Entrepreneurship is a mindset that embraces innovation and risk-taking within both established and new organizations. Describe an instance in which you exhibited this mindset.
- What is something people will find surprising about you?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 164 [1] , given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Anderson Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2009, 17:39
This post received
KUDOS
bball2693 wrote:
GoBruins wrote:
The video is new this year, last year it was text or audio. They do say however that they are weighted equally. It's funny, no one here particularly likes the UCLA program, seems Johnson and even maybe georgetown is more popular and Anderson. Boo on them.

I'm pretty new on these boards. Is there a reason you say no one here likes the UCLA program?

Actually it got alot of snubs last year in my opinion. The people that UCLA accepted chose to go somewhere else. (Disclaimer, Undergrad and current MS student at UCLA, so I may be bias both for and against the program).

There are a couple of problems with UCLA's programs in my opinion, even so I would still love to go there, It's just my personal take and maybe this would be a good place for discussion, or maybe not.

First problem I see is lack of network, UCLA as both a school and anderson in particular does not have a strong network, there is not a sense of connection that other school has. Part of the problem is the state, the west has never really been as strong in branding and doesn't focus on prestige of a school nearly as much as the east coast. The school career services isn't as strong either, I actually think the front office in that department is pretty bad.

Second Problem, does not have the Consulting or IB pipelines, the only one of the Big3 that recruits somewhat heavily from Anderson is Bain, McK and BCG is sporatic at best, and you can see in the recruitment report the past year that they try really hard to add McK into the mix of top hires. That's because the school isn't really branded in any particular field, K is known for Marketing/Consulting, Ross = GM/Consulting, Booth = Finance/consulting. Anderson comes to mind as a GM/Entertainment but really doesn't show that in the recruitment report. For the programs size, the top companies that the students get hired at seems to change every year.

Third Problem, it aims too high, the US students that typically get the admits tend to also get higher ranked schools, so the matriculation rate is pretty low. This causes a backfilling with international students mostly from east Asia which also hurts the program. Definitely not saying that international is negative, but speaking with some graduates before, they tend to leave back to their home country or they have to settle for lower prestige jobs.

But it might also be lemming effect, GMAT Club tends to send a dispropotionate amount of people to Kellogg and Booth and UCLA/Haas doesn't really get much attention. Anyone else have any opinions.

BTW, I'm still applying, I'm too big of a UCLA fan not to try. Triple degrees from one school means alot to me.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 164 [1] , given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Anderson Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2009, 11:53
This post received
KUDOS
bball2693 wrote:
Good to see we finally got this thread to two pages.

I'm going to be in LA this weekend and I originally extended my trip into the week so I could stop by UCLA and sit in on a class. Monday was supposed to be the first day they let prospective students visit a class, but I talked to admissions and they're not sure when they're going to start class visits this year because professors haven't signed off on it yet.

I still plan on visiting the campus, but they don't have tours or anything so I will probably just be walking around myself. For people who have been to campus before, any recommendations on things I should check out while I'm there?

Are you gonna be there on the weekend? I might be there working on my essay, I can give you a tour if you would like. The Bschool itself is just 4 buildings, but it's connected to UCLA campus. Weekends, there wouldn't really be much going on though.

PM me if you are gonna be there.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: UCLA Anderson '12
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling all Anderson Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2009, 09:20
This post received
KUDOS
Sounds pretty consistent with my interactions with admissions staff at UCLA. Good thing they're not teaching the classes or organizing recruiting...

topher wrote:
I created a video for Essay #4. It's in .avi format which is acceptable. I'm concerned that they may not have the proper codecs installed to view the video. I sent my vid to a couple friends and they said they couldn't see it (only audio), but after I gave them a link to install the right codec, they could view the video.

I sent an email to the admissions department and they literally copied and pasted the instructions from their website in their reply back, so that was no help whatsoever.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling all Anderson Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2009, 06:12
This post received
KUDOS
Did everyone do Essay 4 from memory/off-the-cuff, or did you read it somehow? I found it nearly impossible to do it without a script so I used the equivalent of cue-cards. I think it was pretty clear that I was reading. Think that's an issue?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: UCLA, Ross, Berkeley
WE 1: Information Technology

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling all Anderson Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2010, 15:28
This post received
KUDOS
duuuma wrote:
At what point do you have to submit your official transcript? AFTER you've been admitted?

asianstyles wrote:
To those have been admitted, have you already submitted your official transcripts? If so, how long did it take for your status to get updated on Apply Yourself?

duuuma,
Yes, I see that my application now requires me to submit the official transcripts.

Do or Do Not.. There is no try
-- Master Yoda

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling all UCLA Anderson Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2010, 13:18
This post received
KUDOS
I actually thought my interview went really poorly for the most part, but it was a phone interview so those might be harder to get a good read on. It was my first MBA interview I had, and I felt I was rambling and not very specific with my answers. I think I was a little more natural/personable when it was time for me to ask questions, but I thought the damage had already been done on my part. Luckily it turned out alright. Best of luck.

duuuma wrote:
Newly admitted folks...any input?

duuuma wrote:
Anyone admitted in Round 1 feel like they didn't have the best interview?

My interviewer and I never really clicked - the first 20 mins or so was good, a bit cut and dry. Then I got a little repetitive on my leadership example story as we got close to the end, stumbled a bit.

Lastly, my interviewer took my question about job placement and how the clubs/Parker center have helped him prep. He got really anxious since he hadn't found a job yet, and his visa was expiring in 5 months. He then went on a little about how tough it was to find a job through the Parker career center.

I tried to lighten up the mood by asking about Challenge for Charity. Every alumni I've met has had something fun to say regarding the event...but he didn't attend :?

(anyone in Round 2 who wants to chime in, please do too)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling all UCLA Anderson Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2010, 14:55
This post received
KUDOS
Oh interview invites will be going out until mid March at least for UCLA.

2 1/2 more weeks essentially before it's time to analyze your situation :)

duuuma wrote:
Well yeah, 1) has to be true but with 5 weeks until decision time, I wouldn't count out an interview just yet if you haven't received, though chances are probably much slimmer. Still, didn't someone just post an interview invite this week?

Hell, as poorly as my interview went, they'll probably get the feedback and decide to invite someone else to go in for an interview :P

cyrez8 wrote:
My guess is:

1) If your message was updated after interviewing, then you still have 3 options (Admitted, Denied, WL)

2) If your message was updated without an interview, then things are bleaker as you only have 2 options (Denied, WL)

Probably wrong but now I guess we all have to check our applyyourself page as well! Lol

F2013 R1: Stanford
F2011 R1: Stanford
F2010 R2: Stanford, Cal, UCLA, USC, UCSD($$$)
GPA: 3.5+ B.S., J.D.
GMAT: 94%
WE: 2 Startups (Co-Founder)

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Babson

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all UCLA Anderson Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 22:52
This post received
KUDOS
I have my interview tomorrow at 3 PM in New Delhi. Wish me luck :)

Babson MBA '12 | http://babsonmba2012.com | http://living-vision.org

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling all UCLA Anderson Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2010, 12:45
This post received
KUDOS
You choosing UCLA or Cal? :)

Demonic11 wrote:
Hmmm....was searching for when Anderson days will be this year (knock on wood).

Turned out I found a link to A-Days II 2010....Looks like it will be April 10-11. http://www.anderson.ucla.edu/x21819.xml

F2013 R1: Stanford
F2011 R1: Stanford
F2010 R2: Stanford, Cal, UCLA, USC, UCSD($$$)
GPA: 3.5+ B.S., J.D.
GMAT: 94%
WE: 2 Startups (Co-Founder)

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Anderson, Ross, McCombs, Emory, Olin

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all UCLA Anderson Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 11:23
This post received
KUDOS
Got the call......after being waitlisted in round 1

Indian Male based in Delhi /25/ Semiconductors/740

To all the waitlisted candidates- Hang in there. There's light at the end of tunnel and its magestic.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: UCLA Anderson '12
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling all UCLA Anderson Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 19:56
This post received
KUDOS
Just my opinion, but I don't think any top school would facilitate a "direct connection" with adcom. Seems like it'd obstruct their ability to make an impartial decision based purely on your merits. Anderson definitely didn't allow anyone to talk directly to their adcom during this process, not that I heard of.

I visited campus for a class visit and then an info session, but that was really for my benefit.

Besides, I'm pretty certain that these things have little bearing on your admittance. Generally, I feel it's:

1. your accomplishments in the context of your own a.) career and/or b.) life/extracurrics (if you don't have much to speak to re career)
2. your GMAT
3. your goals and how you've tied Anderson in as a necessity for those goals
4. what you bring to the Anderson network (what can you do for them)

Maybe even in that order. Everything else is almost just filler to make sure your application fields aren't blank.

KGY wrote:
Quick question to all the accepted applicants.

have any of you not visited the campus and not have made direct connections with the adcom at anderson.

I m trying to understand if it is mandatory to visit or initiate direct conversation with adcom apart from talking to students, alum etc
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all UCLA Anderson Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2010, 16:24
This post received
KUDOS
FYI Round 3 applicants.. Per MJ Shores twitter feed:

#UCLA #MBA is beginning to release interview invitations to Rd 3 applicants.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 13

Re: Calling all UCLA Anderson Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2010, 13:05
This post received
KUDOS
ApplyingLate wrote:
Have any of the Rd 3 applicants actually heard anything yet?

Not me. :(
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 37

Re: Calling all Anderson Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2009, 05:12
I was wondering why there's no thread for Anderson.
I'm in for R2. Hope to see more names here soon.
Current Student
Affiliations: CPA, CFA
Schools: Darden Class of 2012
WE 1: Big 4 Accounting

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling all Anderson Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2009, 06:50
what's the deal with the video? come on!
Current Student
Schools: Columbia Business School - Class of 2012
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Anderson Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2009, 07:52
tuck20xx wrote:

Agreed. And with those 3 options (text, audio, video), every type-A B-School applicant will feel pressured to do the video.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Anderson Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2009, 10:02
eminent wrote:
tuck20xx wrote:

Agreed. And with those 3 options (text, audio, video), every type-A B-School applicant will feel pressured to do the video.

I'm in R1 or R2, PT or FT. As you can see, I'm slightly undecided.

The video is new this year, last year it was text or audio. They do say however that they are weighted equally. It's funny, no one here particularly likes the UCLA program, seems Johnson and even maybe georgetown is more popular and Anderson. Boo on them.

Manager
Manager
Schools: Haas, Kellogg, Anderson, Marshall for 2010 matriculation

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Anderson Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2009, 10:29
I was wondering why no Anderson thread either. I'm in for R1.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Anderson Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2009, 10:43
GoBruins wrote:

I'm pretty new on these boards. Is there a reason you say no one here likes the UCLA program?
Re: Calling all Anderson Fall 2010 applicants!   [#permalink] 20 Sep 2009, 10:43