Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 20:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all UCSD Rady Applicants for Fall 2009!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: Rady School of Management at UC San Diego GO TRITONS
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Calling all UCSD Rady Applicants for Fall 2009! [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2008, 18:41
So, I'm applying to Round 1 for UCSD Rady, partly cause it's my alma mater (TRITON 4-EVA!), partly cause it's a bit of a safety and there's the possibility of funding, partly cause Otterson Hall is gorgeous, but mostly because everything about the school just gives me a really good vibe. I will say, though, the app presents some unique challenges simply because the school is so new. Any others applying to Rady this fall?
Attachment:
otterson-courtyard-night.jpg
otterson-courtyard-night.jpg [ 36.22 KiB | Viewed 4592 times ]
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UCSD ($) , UCLA, USC ($), Stanford
Followers: 118

Kudos [?]: 1311 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all UCSD Rady Applicants for Fall 2009! [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2008, 08:15
I am thinking about Round 2.
Acceptance rate last year was about 35% (probably lower for Round 2 and 3), so I don't know if we can treat it as safety.

Chinese Democracy is misunderstood...at your nearest BestBuy.

Best AWA guide here: how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross, Darden, Yale SOM, Wharton, Kellogg (JD/MBA)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all UCSD Rady Applicants for Fall 2009! [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2008, 05:07
This post received
KUDOS
Wow...I didn't know that UCSD had a business school. What do they specialize in? I might throw in an app since I'm from San Diego.

"Sic volvere parcas..."

Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all UCSD Rady Applicants for Fall 2009! [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2008, 07:24
Leverandon wrote:
Wow...I didn't know that UCSD had a business school. What do they specialize in? I might throw in an app since I'm from San Diego.

Yeah it's new as of 2005. The word is it's especially good if you're in biotech or telecom, big industries in SD and kind of a focus at UCSD in general. They have a unique program called "Lab to Market" which follows a research idea through the phases of creating a business.

Rady Website
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Tepper '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all UCSD Rady Applicants for Fall 2009! [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2008, 08:07
Is this school ranked anywhere? I skimmed through US News and didn't see it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all UCSD Rady Applicants for Fall 2009! [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2008, 08:15
I don't think it's ranked anywhere yet. The program is too new and it takes time to complete the accreditation and all that other legal crap.

The class size is about 60, specialize on innovations in technology, mostly in the life sciences though. Avg GMAT fro last year is 685. I assume it may break into the top 30-40 MBA programs once it's time.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Tepper '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all UCSD Rady Applicants for Fall 2009! [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2008, 08:17
How can a 4 year old program average almost 700 GMAT? Seems ridiculous. That means they have legit 750s in there...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all UCSD Rady Applicants for Fall 2009! [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2008, 08:24
Tarmac wrote:
How can a 4 year old program average almost 700 GMAT? Seems ridiculous. That means they have legit 750s in there...

Well, their 80% median range goes up to 730/740 if I remember well. So, yeah, 10% of their students scored at or over that. With a class size that small, you can be selective all you want. I beleive rjacobs has a 760 GMAT, so there we go.

I'm still debating between that school and USD. The latter is not ranked high either and is an older program, but it's class size is only 30, the full-time program takes only 16 months, the Avg GMAT is 680 with a similar medium range as UCSD, the cost is about the same of both schools. Anyone has any thoughts about comparisons of those 2 schools? I like the UCSD program and location better but the program is much longer - 21 months, and USD already unofficially told me I have a good chance for at least a 50% scholarship and even TA employment options. I don't wanna apply to both simply because that would be pushing my recommenders willingness to help too much, plus the time spent on another application right now is very valuable to me.

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all UCSD Rady Applicants for Fall 2009! [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2008, 22:32
Wow, I never realized how highly (relatively speaking) their undergraduate program is ranked.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all UCSD Rady Applicants for Fall 2009! [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2008, 12:31
All right, my hat's in the ring for UCSD as of 10 minutes ago. I actually think it might be my strongest app yet...my work experience is a year of running my own business followed by a university job in a program with only 3 real administrative people, so I was able to talk in my essays about thriving in the startup/small-group environment (i.e. UCSD). On to round 2 for everything else!
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all UCSD Rady Applicants for Fall 2009! [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2008, 16:54
Just got an interview invite from Rady. Wheeeeeeeee December San Diego interview/vacation!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all UCSD Rady Applicants for Fall 2009! [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2008, 09:48
rjacobs wrote:
Just got an interview invite from Rady. Wheeeeeeeee December San Diego interview/vacation!

Congratulations! Please, do tell how it went.

I went to an info session and must say was impressed by this program. Plan to submit my application in December some time.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all UCSD Rady Applicants for Fall 2009! [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2008, 15:16
Quote:
I'm still debating between that school and USD. The latter is not ranked high either and is an older program, but it's class size is only 30, the full-time program takes only 16 months, the Avg GMAT is 680 with a similar medium range as UCSD, the cost is about the same of both schools. Anyone has any thoughts about comparisons of those 2 schools? I like the UCSD program and location better but the program is much longer - 21 months, and USD already unofficially told me I have a good chance for at least a 50% scholarship and even TA employment options. I don't wanna apply to both simply because that would be pushing my recommenders willingness to help too much, plus the time spent on another application right now is very valuable to me.

FWIW, I've been living in San Diego since 2000 and doing consulting and corp. finance since I graduated in 2004. I've had two bosses with MBAs from USD. I found them to both be very smart and well educated people. My opinion though if I had the choice between USD and UCSD would be UCSD. I understand that UCSD is a new program and isn't accredited or ranked yet, however give it a few years and it will be. UCSD won't have a top undergrad, and other ranked grad programs and have an unranked b-school. In addition, if you're in state, I think the tuition would be in the same ballpark as a 50% scholly from USD. Also, when you graduate the job opportunities for UCSD and USD would probably be very similar. Hope that helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all UCSD Rady Applicants for Fall 2009! [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2008, 18:50
cclemens31 wrote:
Quote:

FWIW, I've been living in San Diego since 2000 and doing consulting and corp. finance since I graduated in 2004. I've had two bosses with MBAs from USD. I found them to both be very smart and well educated people. My opinion though if I had the choice between USD and UCSD would be UCSD. I understand that UCSD is a new program and isn't accredited or ranked yet, however give it a few years and it will be. UCSD won't have a top undergrad, and other ranked grad programs and have an unranked b-school. In addition, if you're in state, I think the tuition would be in the same ballpark as a 50% scholly from USD. Also, when you graduate the job opportunities for UCSD and USD would probably be very similar. Hope that helps.

Thanks. Choice made - UCSD.

Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all UCSD Rady Applicants for Fall 2009! [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2008, 12:38
So I ended up scheduling a phone interview with Rady for last week, as it was just a really bad time to take off work. My interview was with the assistant director of recruitment, who seemed really on top of it. She had read my essays, and mentioned one or two details from them. She asked the standard why MBA/why now question. She also asked A TON of teamwork questions. By the end of the interview, I had exhausted every single one of my prepared teamwork stories, and was just sort of winging it, which ended up working out fine. I asked her what kind of students Rady was looking for, and she gave a fairly stock answer, but she did emphasize the teamwork part of it, along with creativity being a second keyword. Anyway, fairly standard otherwise. I also learned that they are going to have a Super Saturday type event in January, so I might go down to that if accepted (I'm pretty optimistic).

I don't think anyone else here applied R1, but if you did, feel free to PM me if you're making a visit to UCSD!
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all UCSD Rady Applicants for Fall 2009! [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2008, 22:10
Tarmac wrote:

There must be an error about 700 GMAT. However, if UC system is anything like the undergrad programs - we all know how competitive UC schools are. UC Berkeley, UCLA, UC Santa Barbara, UC David etc etc....they are all competitive.

But I am not sure why ppl are attracted to a program that only started 3 years ago....

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 86

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all UCSD Rady Applicants for Fall 2009! [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2008, 15:59
The author of Living Off Dividends (Blog) was offered a full scholarship to UCSD with his 740 GMAT. It was in Round 2 also.
http://livingoffdividends.com/2008/04/1 ... ent-loans/

However, he was also accepted to UCLA and decided that UCLA was worth the tuition, which is probably true for most careers.

Either way, it looks like UCSD might be buying their way into the rankings by doling out scholarships. It certainly explains how such a new program has a 685 average.

Speaking of weak schools though... Why isn't the Peter F. Drucker School at Claremont ranked? He was one of the most influential minds in management of all time. Maybe the name on the building doesn't go that far.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1311 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all UCSD Rady Applicants for Fall 2009! [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2008, 19:57
This post received
KUDOS
Submitted.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all UCSD Rady Applicants for Fall 2009! [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2008, 13:55
This post received
KUDOS
Admitted - got the e-mail today! UCSD is my first admit and it feels really good. Still waiting on 6 more, but at least I'll be going somewhere next year.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all UCSD Rady Applicants for Fall 2009! [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2008, 16:14
rjacobs wrote:
Admitted - got the e-mail today! UCSD is my first admit and it feels really good. Still waiting on 6 more, but at least I'll be going somewhere next year.

Congratulations rjacobs!
Did they also offer you some scholarship?

Re: Calling all UCSD Rady Applicants for Fall 2009!   [#permalink] 23 Dec 2008, 16:14