Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 04:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all US Military Fall 2010 Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS R3 Wharton R1 w/int
WE 1: USN
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 May 2010, 09:24
That's one heck of a ROTC program you attended. Army? How many years out of undergrad?
Current Student
Schools: UCLA
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 May 2010, 09:37
markharmon wrote:
That's one heck of a ROTC program you attended. Army? How many years out of undergrad?

Navy,...one guy is 2002 and the other was the class behind us for undergrad. They will both be there in the fall. I think there is another guy there too but he might be graduating this year (or maybe next). I am not 100% sure...b/c he is not someone I keep in touch with.
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS/KSG Class of 2014 (deferring)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 May 2010, 12:10
markharmon wrote:

Not to toot our horn here but West Point tore it up this year - 13 admits from various classes (mostly 2005 as our service commitment is up). In fact I am fairly certain it is leading all undergrad schools, as Harvard undergrad had only 12.

I also know a buddy from Princeton going, and there are a few from USAFA and USNA in the classcards. On top of that there are several Joint degree guys who did HKS this year that will be doing the HBS required curriculum next year and overall it makes for a VERY healthy military class. Dee has made it clear, at least to me, that they are really pushing for more and more military guys, especially to balance out the classes with all the 2+2 "youth" types they are admitting.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: USMC
Schools: Darden '12
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 22

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 May 2010, 12:12
HERM3S wrote:
West Point

boo... :P
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 May 2010, 12:27
lakai777 wrote:
HERM3S wrote:
West Point

boo... :P

Haha, especially since we have everyone fooled! We only wear our uniforms while out in public (when we get to class or back to our rooms we strip to reveal PJs which is how we spend most of the day). Speaking of class, its taught at a 5th grade level to ensure we look really good in the rankings (and get into good grad schools, as evidenced by my last post). And every night theres an ice cream social!!!!
Current Student

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 May 2010, 12:30
HERM3S wrote:
markharmon wrote:

Not to toot our horn here but West Point tore it up this year - 13 admits from various classes (mostly 2005 as our service commitment is up). In fact I am fairly certain it is leading all undergrad schools, as Harvard undergrad had only 12.

I also know a buddy from Princeton going, and there are a few from USAFA and USNA in the classcards. On top of that there are several Joint degree guys who did HKS this year that will be doing the HBS required curriculum next year and overall it makes for a VERY healthy military class. Dee has made it clear, at least to me, that they are really pushing for more and more military guys, especially to balance out the classes with all the 2+2 "youth" types they are admitting.

Well, we were only around 15 in a ROTC class. Plus, we are not as socially awkward as service academy types which is a definite plus :P
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: USMC
Schools: Darden '12
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 22

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 May 2010, 13:01
dcdevil wrote:
Plus, we are not as socially awkward as service academy types which is a definite plus :P

ha! in my experience, while some of the service academy types are brilliant and impressive guys, i think all have a stick surgically inserted into their butts during their initiation week. :lol:
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 May 2010, 13:21
lakai777 wrote:
dcdevil wrote:
Plus, we are not as socially awkward as service academy types which is a definite plus :P

ha! in my experience, while some of the service academy types are brilliant and impressive guys, i think all have a stick surgically inserted into their butts during their initiation week. :lol:

Socially awkward?...that is probably true of the academy that you as a Navy person might have more exposure to :wink:

And C, "Surgically" implies such things as hygiene, anesthesia, and care to not cause secondary damage. Its more like "shoved" :oops:

And in all seriousness, 2 out of 15 might have it on 13 out of ~950!
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V44

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 29

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 May 2010, 05:35
Congrats on all the acceptances and thanks for the useful thread. I wont be applying to Bschool for a few years but this and last year's thread have definitely provided useful information. And its good to hear WPers are doing well at the top schools.
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS (admit), MIT (admit)

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 May 2010, 16:26
dcdevil wrote:
HERM3S wrote:
markharmon wrote:

Well, we were only around 15 in a ROTC class. Plus, we are not as socially awkward as service academy types which is a definite plus :P

DC Devil -Let me guess...Notre Dame Navy ROTC? Right?
Intern
Intern
Schools: R2: Kellogg Class of 2012, Yale(w/$), Tuck, Darden(w/$), Olin, Owen(w/$), Kelley, McDonough(w/$)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 May 2010, 18:05
Guys,

I just found this thread. It's great to see that so many of you are having success getting accepted into B-School. I'm a West Point guy myself. Something I've recently found, which may be ancient history to you, is iSABRD. Knowing that I'm going to Kellogg next year, I've started my research on which companies I might want to work for. As a caveat, it might only be for academy guys. If you can, you should join it and look up some people that you can speak with about their business experience.

Are there any other mil types going to Kellogg?

Again, congrats on your successes!
Current Student

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 May 2010, 21:39
Via wrote:
Guys,

I just found this thread. It's great to see that so many of you are having success getting accepted into B-School. I'm a West Point guy myself. Something I've recently found, which may be ancient history to you, is iSABRD. Knowing that I'm going to Kellogg next year, I've started my research on which companies I might want to work for. As a caveat, it might only be for academy guys. If you can, you should join it and look up some people that you can speak with about their business experience.

Are there any other mil types going to Kellogg?

Again, congrats on your successes!

Via, I was wondering if you applied through Consortium to some of those schools on your list, and if you feel you benefited from that as a vet?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 May 2010, 07:47
This post received
KUDOS
CarpathianRidge wrote:

No, Duke. (The hubby is a ND guy though.)

Reality is, I wish I was as smart as HERM3S but I can't even figure out how to upload my adorably cute cat pictures on the "something to make you smile thread..." :oops:
I think that is probably a sign that I might not be as smart as some of my peers...ah well!
Current Student
Schools: HBS R2, Stanford R2, Wharton R2, Columbia RD, Tuck R2, Darden R2, Texas R2
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 25

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 May 2010, 17:47
markharmon wrote:
Anyone else waiting on R3 decisions? RonMexico, do you know any other US mil guys going to HBS next year?

Mark,

Sorry for the delay - it looks like I missed the usual Army/Navy tomfoolery while I have been busy this week with light flying and heavy drinking. Anyways, my amigo Herm3s has access to the same classcard application, and I can vouch for his numbers. I'm a bit too old to have served with anyone attending this year (or even to have been in school at the same time), but it would appear that at all of the schools I applied at, there are a bit more combat arms types than in years past - lots of infantry along with the usual cast of Navy Nukes, SFs, 2 or 3 pilots, and quite a few intel types everywhere. That's the extent of my online gossip.

We invaded Iraq in 2003, and seven years later I think we are seeing a stream of exceptional veterans who have served with distinction and are ending their respective commitments. This is just my hunch, and nothing scientific, but all anecdotal evidence seems to point to a slightly increased military cadre everywhere and some real outstanding people entering the classroom. Schools are looking for vets, are matching their words with lots of "Yellow Ribbon" cash, and have treated my prospective candidacy with nothing but courtesy and interest. At one or two schools I applied to (which will remain anonymous), I was told by current vet students that their ADCOMS are looking for people with significant leadership experience in the extremis of operations, and that a bit of this is being pushed by future employers. No, I am not saying you had to be shot at to be competitive, but I am saying that more than one person has hinted at the importance of the intangible over the technical in military experience. Take that for what it is worth.

Bottom line, while it may be a tough time to apply as Joe Q. Public for an MBA, I think it is a great time to apply as a veteran, and if you bring the same focus to your application and GMAT that you bring to your job, you will do great. Good luck, reach out to the school Veteran Clubs, and if you need to talk offline, feel free to PM me.
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS R3 Wharton R1 w/int
WE 1: USN

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 May 2010, 18:49
RonM, concur w/ your statement about vet clubs and adcoms. They have been extraordinarily helpful, and I'd encourage anyone in uniform considering b-school to reach out. Most vet clubs have informative websites. Also concur that there is a deep bench of talented folks that joined after 9/11 who perhaps would not have done so normally, and have no intention of making the military a career. For them, b-school is a natural fit for career transition and progression. See you in August.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 May 2010, 11:32
^^^Congrats buddy! Wish I could say see you in August, but I'll be seeing you around Cambridge post-summer 2011!

dcdevil wrote:
CarpathianRidge wrote:

Reality is, I wish I was as smart as HERM3S but I can't even figure out how to upload my adorably cute cat pictures on the "something to make you smile thread..." :oops:
I think that is probably a sign that I might not be as smart as some of my peers...ah well!

Don't be jealous that I have the absolute most cutest, sweetest, smartest and daddy-worshipping cats in the entire galaxy (all are traits which run in the family BTW). Speaking of galaxy does anyone think the end of Lost will fall short like the end of Battlestar Galactica?!?

Whatever, I need to get back to my cats and my needlepoint. I can't believe you think I am socially awkward!!! Just because I spend most Friday and Saturday nights stalking people on this forum doesn't mean I don't get down with the ladies. Pssshhhhh, just last Sunday I had two females tell me I was the cutest and coolest boy they knew!
Intern
Intern
Schools: R2: Kellogg Class of 2012, Yale(w/$), Tuck, Darden(w/$), Olin, Owen(w/$), Kelley, McDonough(w/$)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 May 2010, 13:38
Atlion25,

I applied to 5 schools through the Consortium. Those schools included: Tuck, Yale SOM, Darden, Olin, and Kelley. I received the fellowship at Darden.

I do believe that applying through the Consortium benefitted me as a Vet. Like RonM posted, it's likely difficult to differentiate yourself as Joe Q. Public but, as a Veteran, you automatically distinguish yourself from the pack. Applying through the Consortium serves the same purpose and adds to the benefit you will receive by being a Vet. Interviews, chat transcripts, and personal conversations I've had with Adcoms revealed that they enjoy reading Consortium applications. As you can imagine, the Adcoms read thousands of applications. Therefore many Adcoms become pleasantly surprised to pick up a Consortium application.

Personally, given that I didn't know where I'd lie on the competitive ladder among B-school applicants, I used the Consortium to further highlight my application.

There are some weaknesses to applying through the Consortium. 1st, you only get to write one school specific essay. Exposing your knowledge of a program and how the school is a perfect fit for you may be difficult with one essay. 2nd, if you apply during round 2, you will have to submit your enrollment decision NLT Apr 15th despite the fact that many schools do not hold their 'admitted student weekends' until after that date. 3rd, if you aren't eligible for a significant portion of the GI Bill and you didn't get a scholarship and/or fellowship, you may not receive financial aid information from your school by the Consortium enrollment decision deadline.

You can easily counter some of these weaknesses by applying during round 1, visiting all of your schools before the enrollment decision deadline, and/or finishing your FAFSA and submitting your financial aid application immediately after you gain admission to a school.

Please let me know if you have any other questions about the Consortium application process.
Current Student

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 May 2010, 13:58
Via wrote:
Atlion25,

I applied to 5 schools through the Consortium. Those schools included: Tuck, Yale SOM, Darden, Olin, and Kelley. I received the fellowship at Darden.

I do believe that applying through the Consortium benefitted me as a Vet. Like RonM posted, it's likely difficult to differentiate yourself as Joe Q. Public but, as a Veteran, you automatically distinguish yourself from the pack. Applying through the Consortium serves the same purpose and adds to the benefit you will receive by being a Vet. Interviews, chat transcripts, and personal conversations I've had with Adcoms revealed that they enjoy reading Consortium applications. As you can imagine, the Adcoms read thousands of applications. Therefore many Adcoms become pleasantly surprised to pick up a Consortium application.

Personally, given that I didn't know where I'd lie on the competitive ladder among B-school applicants, I used the Consortium to further highlight my application.

There are some weaknesses to applying through the Consortium. 1st, you only get to write one school specific essay. Exposing your knowledge of a program and how the school is a perfect fit for you may be difficult with one essay. 2nd, if you apply during round 2, you will have to submit your enrollment decision NLT Apr 15th despite the fact that many schools do not hold their 'admitted student weekends' until after that date. 3rd, if you aren't eligible for a significant portion of the GI Bill and you didn't get a scholarship and/or fellowship, you may not receive financial aid information from your school by the Consortium enrollment decision deadline.

You can easily counter some of these weaknesses by applying during round 1, visiting all of your schools before the enrollment decision deadline, and/or finishing your FAFSA and submitting your financial aid application immediately after you gain admission to a school.

Please let me know if you have any other questions about the Consortium application process.

Thank you, I greatly appreciate the thorough response and I will definitely reach out to you if any other questions come to mind.
Current Student

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 17 May 2010, 11:17
HERM3S wrote:
^^^Congrats buddy! Wish I could say see you in August, but I'll be seeing you around Cambridge post-summer 2011!

dcdevil wrote:
CarpathianRidge wrote:

Don't be jealous that I have the absolute most cutest, sweetest, smartest and daddy-worshipping cats in the entire galaxy (all are traits which run in the family BTW). Speaking of galaxy does anyone think the end of Lost will fall short like the end of Battlestar Galactica?!?

Whatever, I need to get back to my cats and my needlepoint. I can't believe you think I am socially awkward!!! Just because I spend most Friday and Saturday nights stalking people on this forum doesn't mean I don't get down with the ladies. Pssshhhhh, just last Sunday I had two females tell me I was the cutest and coolest boy they knew!

:lol: I cant believe I didn't see this till now.

You are set...chicks dig needlepoint!

I think I have someone I can set you up with--she's a USNA grad and has cats and....is an avid quilter(no joke). Perfect!

You will also be amazed at my display of tech savvy brilliance because I finally stopped getting an invalid error and I have my cute little kitten pic up.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 17 May 2010, 13:19
dcdevil wrote:

:lol: I cant believe I didn't see this till now.

You are set...chicks dig needlepoint!

I think I have someone I can set you up with--she's a USNA grad and has cats and....is an avid quilter(no joke). Perfect!

You will also be amazed at my display of tech savvy brilliance because I finally stopped getting an invalid error and I have my cute little kitten pic up.

Navy grad cat quilter?!?!...PM INBOUND!

Congrats on your mastery of forum picture posting. You've got me with the kid, no matter how attractive my wife my kids will never be as cute. As for the cat though sorry, got you by a longshot times two.

And in all seriousness thank you but I am good right now with girls, and I am not talking about mom and grandma which was the reference in the last post (last Sunday was Mothers Day, guess no one got it).

And I apologize to all, because of me this thread has gone soft, thankfully some have kept it informative!
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2010 Applicants!   [#permalink] 17 May 2010, 13:19