Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 21:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all US Military Fall 2010 Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: UCLA
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 17 May 2010, 15:41
HERM3S wrote:

Navy grad cat quilter?!?!...PM INBOUND!

Congrats on your mastery of forum picture posting. You've got me with the kid, no matter how attractive my wife my kids will never be as cute. As for the cat though sorry, got you by a longshot times two.

And in all seriousness thank you but I am good right now with girls, and I am not talking about mom and grandma which was the reference in the last post (last Sunday was Mothers Day, guess no one got it).

And I apologize to all, because of me this thread has gone soft, thankfully some have kept it informative!

My apologies to everyone else too...my goal was not to derail the thread but just to say I know two solid dudes that I did ROTC with who will be at Harvard in the fall.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 May 2010, 12:02
For those that are unaware and might be able to attend a part-time or EMBA program while still on active duty, the GI Bill pays 100% of all tuition and fees for all stateside programs without a state cap while you attend prior to seperation. The VA and military education offices usually do a lousy job of getting this word out. See this VA link:

http://www.gibill.va.gov/documents/Post ... l_Info.pdf
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V44

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 29

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 May 2010, 07:32
I recently got an e-mail from West Point to apply for their minority outreach program next year. I was wondering if anyone on here actually served in this position for a year or knows someone that did? And do you feel it would possibly hinder me in the future since its not exactly a leadership role?
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS/KSG Class of 2014 (deferring)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 May 2010, 18:46
Atlion25 wrote:
I recently got an e-mail from West Point to apply for their minority outreach program next year. I was wondering if anyone on here actually served in this position for a year or knows someone that did? And do you feel it would possibly hinder me in the future since its not exactly a leadership role?

I know a few people who have done this job, to include one who got into one of the top 10 schools (I think it was Columbia) with a slightly sub 3 and 650 gmat. It would not hinder you at all as long as your put the appropriate spin on it, and naturally it could be spun to be extremely attractive to bschools.

I would say go for it. PM me if you are interested in getting some contacts who have done the job. Just give me a day or two to get back to you.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
GPA: 3.34
WE: General Management (Military & Defense)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2010, 08:56
Hey all. I'm actually a 2011 applicant, but didn't want to start a thread just for this question...

When you were filling in your employment history, did you put a separate entry for each unit you were in? Or was your employment history only "Military, 200x to present?"

I'm just starting my first ap now... I've got my resume set up to differentiate between different squadrons, as the missions were very, very different, but not so sure on the application itself.

Thanks, Square
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: R2: Kellogg Class of 2012, Yale(w/$), Tuck, Darden(w/$), Olin, Owen(w/$), Kelley, McDonough(w/$)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2010, 19:51
This post received
KUDOS
Square,

I spoke to some ADCOMS about your question. They want an entry for each unit you were in on their application form. They know you've only had one employer (eg. Air Force), but adding all your units/positions as separate entries will help them get a clearer picture of your career.

-Via
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
GPA: 3.34
WE: General Management (Military & Defense)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2010, 21:23
Via, thanks you. I assumed as much, but had one of those, "maybe I should throw it out there and see what others have done" moments.

Square
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2010, 16:09
I've been reading the thread for a little while now so I'll chime in. I'm separating at the beginning of this next year (Jan 11) after being in the Air Force for 4.5 years. I stayed in the extra 1/2 year to be eligible for 50% of the Post 9/11 GI bill after paying back my commitment for the ROTC scholarship. I'm not going for an MBA, instead I'm going for a MS in Finance. After reading numerous threads I've started questioning if I really want to go to the University of Wyoming for my masters degree. It's got a lot of things going for it: proximity to where I live, cost (would get in-state tuition since I would apply while I'm still active duty) so it would be virtually nothing out of pocket, new facilities being built for the business dept, wife goes there, I've heard it's got a great business/econ dept. My hesitation with UWyo is that it is a smaller, less renown school and that will make a huge difference in the finance world. I don't want to take out tens of thousands of dollars in loans to end up with virtually the same degree as I would get going to UWyo, but I also don't want to handicap myself when I graduate and try to get a job.

Few other notes, my undergrad is a BS in Aerospace Engineering and I have no real interest in using it after I get out. My passion lies in finance, specifically financial planning and advise. I would like to use that MSF to be a financial planner and also get a CFP and possibly a CFA designation.
Current Student
Affiliations: VFW, Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, West Point Association of Graduates
Schools: Wharton Class of 2013
WE 1: Army Ranger / Infantry Platoon Leader Operation Iraqi Freedom (2 yrs)
WE 2: Company Executive Officer (1 yr)
WE 3: Company Commander (2 yrs)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 75

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 04:27
I just wanted to add myself to this group, I am a YG 2006 Army Officer and I plan to apply to Round 1 at MIT, W, and Darden; Round 2: Columbia, Duke, Georgetown

I wish everyone the best of luck during this cycle.
Intern
Intern
Schools: R2: Kellogg Class of 2012, Yale(w/$), Tuck, Darden(w/$), Olin, Owen(w/$), Kelley, McDonough(w/$)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 07:22
Good Luck Gents/Gals. Let us know if you have any questions. I felt very ignorant when I started my business school research so if you feel the same way, don't worry. As always, there's a learning curve to this process and you're starting your research at the right time.

-Via
Current Student
Schools: Foster, Sloan (WL w/int.), Kellogg, Anderson
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2010, 15:57
Lots of great discussion in this thread. Best of luck to all of you in your future endeavors. I'm going to start a 2011 US Military thread and would like to invite anyone here to chime in with any words of advice for the next group of applicants.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2011, 00:16
getting interviews going and am now unable to resign from active duty as my branch will not concur with resignation from active duty. looking to the forum for advice, need to come up with a good deferment strategy that will allow me to do my follow on assignment (recruiting command). anybody have any good ideas? my target schools are ucla (R1 interview complete), uc berkeley (R1 waiting), and MIT (R1 interview this week)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2011, 00:17
PS - don't really want to reapply, too many things happened to come together by chance (great recommenders, etc) and don't want to chance that not happening for me again.
Current Student
Schools: Harvard, Ross, McCombs, Mendoza
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2011, 08:26
jbark55 wrote:
getting interviews going and am now unable to resign from active duty as my branch will not concur with resignation from active duty. looking to the forum for advice, need to come up with a good deferment strategy that will allow me to do my follow on assignment (recruiting command). anybody have any good ideas? my target schools are ucla (R1 interview complete), uc berkeley (R1 waiting), and MIT (R1 interview this week)

That sucks something awful. I was concerned my branch wouldn't let me out due to some ambiguity in my contract, but I've gotten my resignation approved. I was concerned about it, and did a ton of research on how the Marine process worked. PM me if you want some of those details. I can't give you too much help on the specifics because I don't know where your letter got stopped. I had to break out a couple of references in a couple of orders to get my letter past base admin. Headquarters didn't give me any problems.

Haas, Sloan, and Anderson are supposedly "military friendly" per http://www.mba.com/mba/WhyBSchool/Milit ... chools.htm, which includes a commitment to provide a one year deferment for involuntary extensions. I can't vouch for how current this is, but it's something. I'm assuming you got two year orders to recruiting command. This gets you halfway there and a basis to request two years.

In general, the first thing I'd do is get accepted. Don't ask for a deferment until you're positive you've exhausted all your options and keep as many schools open as you can afford. Once you're positive you've done everything you can do, including consulting base legal if your commitment is actually up and you're being involuntarily extended on active duty, then I'd ask for a deferment. I think asking for a deferment immediately upon acceptance makes it seem like you weren't honestly expecting to enroll that year.

Assuming you can't get out, I'd get the highest ranking person I could to sign a letter to each school to which you were accepted basically saying that you were involuntarily extended past your original EAS due to the needs of your service and that he'd advise the school to grant a deferment because of your general amazingness. Assuming one accepts, you're good. Otherwise, you might be stuck.

The only other thing I'll say is that some admin types don't know their head from a hole in the ground. If you come armed with references, it becomes hard for them to say no, because they can't back up arguments with anything other than a standard "this is how things are done." Don't let some E-3 ruin your chances at business school.
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2010 Applicants!   [#permalink] 03 Jan 2011, 08:26