Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 06:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all US Military Fall 2012 Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.6
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 32

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2012 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2011, 19:37
Hi all, count me in for this year's applicant pool.

Another 'weekend warrior,' did ROTC in college, commissioned into the Army National Guard in 2008 and deployed to Iraq in 2009. Currently work at a CPG company, so at matriculation I will have 1.5 yrs military (not counting weekends :-D ) and 2.5 yrs corporate experience.

3.6 UG GPA at a small liberal arts college, 770 GMAT (49V, 47V), still trying to figure out post-MBA career goals in order to write compelling essays.

Best of luck to all!

I visited HBS, MIT, Kellogg, and Booth this past spring, so if anyone isn't able to visit and would like to hear about them, I'd be happy to share my experiences.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 3 [2] , given: 0

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2012 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2011, 17:44
This post received
KUDOS
I'm a recent HBS grad and military veteran and just wanted to share some new options with you...

Just a little over two years ago I was exactly in your shoes (you can still see my old posts). During our time at HBS, several other veterans and I provided informal help to many military applicants. We worked with HBS admissions, spoke with other students, and in the process figured out what worked for military applicants and had a very high success rate. This year we decided to more formally expand the service and focus directly on helping military applicants through a professional service.

Check it out and let me know what you think. We also collected successful military applicant essays/resumes to HBS and other top schools and bundled it with our analysis. If you like, you can also submit a profile on there for a free assessment:

http://www.MilitaryToBusiness.com

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

http://www.MilitaryToBusiness.com - Veterans / HBS Alumni consulting other veterans

Current Student
Concentration: Finance
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2012 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2011, 18:42
Any other vets in this thread applying to HBS R1?
Intern
Intern
Schools: Darden '13

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2012 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2011, 09:58
Hello everyone. So I'm posting because I used this thread last year and it helped me out a ton. I'm a current first year student at Darden, and if any of you are interested in Darden or have any questions about the MBA application process in general, please, do not hesitate to PM me.

Thanks to this thread, I was able to get in touch with a guy who was a first year here at Darden last year, and he definitely went out of his way to help me out. In fact, I feel confident saying that I probably wouldn't be going to Darden if it weren't for him. That being said, I just want to pay it forward, so shoot me your questions or concerns (because I know I had a TON when I was applying), and I'll help you in any way I can. As veterans, we need to use our network and help each other out. If any of you are interested in Darden in particular, then definitely get in touch with me, because this school is awesome.

Good luck, everyone, and, seriously, don't hesitate to get in touch. You're all part of this big network- so use it.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 6

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2012 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2011, 14:46
lonesoui wrote:
thanks emont. Man I'm so jealous of HBS, congrats by the way. I was born and raised in Boston, and Harvard anything was the epitome of prestige.

Hmm, seems to extend beyond Boston ha.
Such a long process and ultimately, likely some coin flipping/dart throwing involved too... gl!
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2012 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2011, 14:52
Thanks Mateo,
Did you find that visiting schools impacts admissions much? A Tuck student mentioned that a visit is very important for Tuck earlier in the thread.
It seems that if you visit a school before applying, you might then need to visit again for the interview and/or admit weekend?
I'm about maxed out at the moment on # of items I can juggle.
Intern
Intern
WE 1: Tank PL (7 Months) Deployed OEF 09-10
WE 2: Battalion AS3 1.5 yrs
WE 3: Tank Company Commander (Currently)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2012 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2011, 16:26
I'm just RSVP'd for the Wharton Military Prospective Student Day on 13 Oct wondering if anyone else going too?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: VFW, Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, West Point Association of Graduates
Schools: Wharton Class of 2013
WE 1: Army Ranger / Infantry Platoon Leader Operation Iraqi Freedom (2 yrs)
WE 2: Company Executive Officer (1 yr)
WE 3: Company Commander (2 yrs)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 63 [1] , given: 75

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2012 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2011, 15:03
This post received
KUDOS
ant, let me know when you get here or if you have any other wharton questions, i will see you at the event, ryan (w '13)
Intern
Intern
Schools: Darden '13

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2012 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2011, 09:31
segfault wrote:
Thanks Mateo,
Did you find that visiting schools impacts admissions much? A Tuck student mentioned that a visit is very important for Tuck earlier in the thread.
It seems that if you visit a school before applying, you might then need to visit again for the interview and/or admit weekend?

I know how you feel, segfault. I was the same way. I actually never stepped foot on Darden grounds until after I was admitted. I would say that the most important thing is to reach out to current students and especially current students who are veterans. Most of the top schools have veteran groups. Use those guys to get info and to ask questions, because they'll be a lot of help down the road. Does that make sense?
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2012 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2011, 20:01
Yes, thanks! Hope the new semester is so far so good for you.
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS '15
GPA: 3
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2012 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2011, 03:52
Does anyone know an efficient way to find online admissions tours/talks for Top 10 MBA programs? I'm currently deployed, and won't return in time for any on campus visits, but would like to talk to adcoms and other prospective students in another open environment. Don't get me wrong, gmatclub forum is great for when the time comes to apply, but I am still up in the air for which program is right for me. So far, the only way for me to find out about online tours/talks is to directly visit the website, but some are outdated. Thank you!

EDIT

To be more specific, I am looking for ONLINE chats and/or tours. It may be because most schools are going through round 1 applications that there are no upcoming ONLINE chats and/or tours, but since I am not applying until next Fall, I am trying to find these ONLINE events now or within the next 6 months. Thank you.

Last edited by FrankDeGeorgeJr on 15 Sep 2011, 20:21, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 118 [1] , given: 4

Premium Member
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2012 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2011, 16:03
This post received
KUDOS
FrankDeGeorgeJr wrote:
Does anyone know an efficient way to find online admissions tours/talks for Top 10 MBA programs? I'm currently deployed, and won't return in time for any on campus visits, but would like to talk to adcoms and other prospective students in another open environment. Don't get me wrong, gmatclub forum is great for when the time comes to apply, but I am still up in the air for which program is right for me. So far, the only way for me to find out about online tours/talks is to directly visit the website, but some are outdated. Thank you!

I've never seen a top program with an outdated website--they use it as their primary means of sharing information and getting people interested in the school and its programs. Which ones are you having problems with?

Best option is to get on the email list on the school's application page--you may have to request an application log-in name and password to do so. I remember getting regular updates from several schools last year about when different events were going on in different parts of the country. There should also be some sort of calendar on the admissions page.

Or just email the student ambassadors (or equivalent) or the vets club at the schools you're interested in and ask if they have any information. Vets clubs in particular are usually very responsive. Or post on the "Calling all XXXX applicants" and see if anyone knows anything.

So to answer your question, no, I'm not aware of any centralized clearinghouse that would say "Schools 1 through 10 have these events coming up in these cities." You'll have to do a little legwork on your own.

http://www.militarytobusiness.com/

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2012 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2011, 09:04
Yes, most schools have pretty good websites. The only school that I thought was underachieving in that department was Fuqua. If you go to their admissions pages, each school will usually have a laundry list of upcoming events that you can search for. World MBA Tour is a good web site. If you're a woman, Forte Foundation is good. Basically, there are a lot of organizations that make a living by sponsoring MBA events that feature schools, GMAT prep companies, and admissions consultants. It's a one stop shop so to speak. They will purport to have 100+ schools that support their events, but in many cases there are only 2-4 top schools at these functions. The rest are less known FT MBAs, EMBAs, and some online schools. Some consultant companies also have a calendar function that displays key dates for each school. Lastly, I would say don't be afraid to check out Business Week. They have some old chat transcripts, but for the most part, GMATClub and other specialized web sites have made Business Week obsolete. It used to be the hot spot, but it's turned into petty sniping about the merits of CBS, the yield of H/S dual admits, and Booth's endowment. The one challenge associated with being deployed is that some organizations have very strict controls on NIPR usage. I was attached to a Marine unit in RC-SW and they were very committed to not having any fun. It meant no NIPR from 0800-2100 unless it was to a .mil URL. Luckily, I was doing some higher end computer forensics work and circumnavigated the IT people thanks to the equipment I had with me.
Intern
Intern
WE 1: Tank PL (7 Months) Deployed OEF 09-10
WE 2: Battalion AS3 1.5 yrs
WE 3: Tank Company Commander (Currently)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2012 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2011, 10:27
wp06 wrote:
ant, let me know when you get here or if you have any other wharton questions, i will see you at the event, ryan (w '13)

WP06, I'm working on getting a plain ticket up there right now, I definately will want to link up with you. I'm still trying to figure out of if Wharton is a good fit for me but I expect to get a better idea when I visit.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS '15
GPA: 3
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 7 [2] , given: 0

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2012 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2011, 06:53
This post received
KUDOS
I'm not sure how useful this will be for those who've already applied, but for those like me that are waiting to apply until next year...

I created a spreadsheet showing some general comparisons that were listed on each schools website. There is a column for application fee waivers and links to the Veterans Clubs. I selected most of the Top MBA programs, and a couple other military friendly ones.

Thanks.
Attachments

File comment: MBA Comparison
MBAComparison.xlsx [19.8 KiB]
Downloaded 61 times

To download please login or register as a user

Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2013
WE 1: US Military
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 6

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2012 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2011, 18:32
Hey all,

If anyone is looking into applying to Kellogg, I am available for contact if you have any specific questions in that regard. Just drop me a PM.

tA
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2012 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2011, 19:47
In advance of the 10/12 Round 1 application deadline, the admissions committee at Haas is having an applicant webchat next Thursday, 9/29 from 9 AM - 10 AM PT. One of my classmates who is also a vet will be available during the chat to answer any veteran-specific questions that come up. We hope you can join us!

https://haas.campusgroups.com/veterans/home/

Current Student
Affiliations: VFW, Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, West Point Association of Graduates
Schools: Wharton Class of 2013
WE 1: Army Ranger / Infantry Platoon Leader Operation Iraqi Freedom (2 yrs)
WE 2: Company Executive Officer (1 yr)
WE 3: Company Commander (2 yrs)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 75

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2012 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2011, 12:07
Ant2185 wrote:
wp06 wrote:

WP06, I'm working on getting a plain ticket up there right now, I definately will want to link up with you. I'm still trying to figure out of if Wharton is a good fit for me but I expect to get a better idea when I visit.

if you have any questons on fit, PM me, I would be more than happy to set up a phone call or answer any emails for you
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.6
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 32

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2012 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2011, 09:48
segfault wrote:

When I visited schools (MIT, HBS, Booth, Kellogg) last spring, I specifically asked at each of the Q&A sessions whether there would be any benefit or need for me to return to campus to do my interview. Each of them said "No."

From what I have read on here, HBS does not care who actually visits campus, but most of the other top 10 schools do, in order to gauge your likelihood of attending if you are offered admission. When asked, ADCOMs will say that visiting does not materially affect your chances of admission, but it might.

If I am having trouble deciding between schools to which I have been admitted, I will definitely go to admit weekends.
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 4

Premium Member
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2012 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2011, 10:53
Sure, some schools will check sign-in sheets for attendance at on or off-campus info sessions, but I don't see those having much if any impact on getting in or not. The biggest value of visiting prior to applying or interviewing is giving yourself some specific data points to use in your essays or when talking to your interviewer....or in the visit experience convincing you that you don't really want to go to that school. You can use things you saw during your visit to talk about fit, specific things you liked, conversations you had with students in a particular club or career path, etc.

From what I could tell during my process last year, if you've already visited you don't really need to do an on-campus interview. Even if you haven't visited there's nothing that says you have to do an on-campus interview...but again, you'll have a better opportunity to speak intelligently about the school if you've seen it in person, even if it was just for a few hours before your interview. Also keep in mind some schools (HBS in particular) may not give you the option of an off-campus interview unless you're deployed--you may have to come to campus for it.

As Spivey mentioned, ASWs are your chance to visit a school (or schools, hopefully) that has admitted you and figure out which one you like best.

http://www.militarytobusiness.com/

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2012 Applicants!   [#permalink] 20 Sep 2011, 10:53