Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 13:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.36
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2012, 12:14
Never thought of UCLA. Looking into now.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2012, 12:19
Higher ranked than USC, less expensive, GI Bill goes further, further reaching brand outside of Southern California.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: General Management (Military & Defense)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2012, 14:39
Attention brother officers!!!

Most of you might know this beforehand but I came to know this just now. Hence i am posting this for benefit of everyone.

If you are active duty Defense personnel you do not have to pay admission fee for duke, Kellogg and London business school. Duke and kellogg will need you to get in touch with admission committee for the fee waiver and send them a copy of your military identification. LBS just need you to select operation MBA in fee waiver drop-down menu.

Any other schools that provide fee waiver may please be indicated by those who come across such offers.

Applicants of Duke ED and Kellogg round 1 please hurry as very less days are left for you to claim the waiver!!

Hope that helps !!!
Arun
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE: Project Management (Military & Defense)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 149

Premium Member
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2012, 08:29
You can add Columbia to that list as well.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2012, 12:18
Gentlemen some more cheer to go around!!

MIT Sloan also waives the fee for active duty military applicants!!

come on guys!! the thread is dying!! I know everybody is busy in applications so am I!! but dats an excuse civilians can make !! we were brought up to juggle responsibilities and create time!!

Lets try to make this thread more lively!!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2012, 11:11
Does anyone know whether or not the Post-9/11 GI Bill will cover test prep courses? I took a course with Kaplan, and I called the VA and Kaplan and neither seem to know for sure. I'm getting the run around, but if I could get use the GI bill to pay for Kaplan's $1400 tuition that would be sweet! Thanks
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2012, 17:17
hey

Anybody has any idea as to whether cornell gives fee waivers to military applicants??? till now MIT, Kellogg, LBS, Duke and Darden have come through with fee waivers!!

and yah I have used 3 posts now for these fee waivers!! If its helping please gimme a kudo so that I continue posting these waivers!! at my end it seems I am benefiting nobody!!! :(
Current Student
Concentration: International Business, Operations
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2012, 04:45
Gents,

While I'm smart enough to realize that I'm not going to get into any ultra-elite/elite schools, I'd like to throw out my profile and see if you think I'm aiming about right.

Profile: 620(38V/36Q)/2.6 from Top 5 public school/Army Captain/3 Afghan deployments (total 30 months)/7 years WE at matriculation

R1 I'm applying to:
Olin (Washington)
Fordham GBS
McDonough (Georgetown)
Smith (Maryland)
Rutgers
George Washington

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2012, 05:49
narmstro wrote:
Gents,

While I'm smart enough to realize that I'm not going to get into any ultra-elite/elite schools, I'd like to throw out my profile and see if you think I'm aiming about right.

Profile: 620(38V/36Q)/2.6 from Top 5 public school/Army Captain/3 Afghan deployments (total 30 months)/7 years WE at matriculation

R1 I'm applying to:
Olin (Washington)
Fordham GBS
McDonough (Georgetown)
Smith (Maryland)
Rutgers
George Washington

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Hey Brother,

What are your thoughts on retaking the GMAT and applying R2? What was your undergrad degree in? What are your post MBA goals? I think right now you have a good shot at GWU but UMd and Gtown are a stretch. If you can retake and score high 600's, I think Gtown becomes a lot more realistic. Just my $.02.

Not sure about the other programs...
Current Student

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2012, 09:02
My only reservation with taking the GMAT is that I'm currently deployed until sometime in December, so even if I retake the GMAT after the holidays, I'll miss R2 for a lot of schools. I took the GMAT in March after we were given 90-days notice for this mission, with minimal prep time. I think the best I can hope for with the schools I'm on the fence with is a waitlist and then retake the GMAT in early 2013.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2012, 19:29
narmstro wrote:
My only reservation with taking the GMAT is that I'm currently deployed until sometime in December, so even if I retake the GMAT after the holidays, I'll miss R2 for a lot of schools. I took the GMAT in March after we were given 90-days notice for this mission, with minimal prep time. I think the best I can hope for with the schools I'm on the fence with is a waitlist and then retake the GMAT in early 2013.

Have you reached out to the Military Association at each school? They may be able to help you leverage your background.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2012, 19:50
Have you looked at American University or William & Mary?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2012, 11:22
I second reaching out to all the military associations. We have such a great veterans network overall. I was able to sit in a class at each of the schools I was visiting even though official class visits weren't for another month.
Current Student

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2012, 12:42
I have reached out to the Veterans group at Fordham, and I have an ROTC classmate who just graduated from McDonough who has been helping me out with the process.

I just got my acceptance from Fordham this evening, so my numbers were at least good enough for them, which is a huge relief!

I'll still finish the applications for McDonough and Smith and see what comes.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.6
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 32

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2012, 06:09
All,

1st year Kellogg student here. I definitely echo the earlier posts stating to engage the Veterans' associations at all schools you are visiting/applying to. All 4 Vets' clubs at the schools I applied to were very helpful.

Here is a link to Kellogg's Veterans' Association page. It also has links to many other schools' Vets' clubs (under Useful Links).

I am a 1st year student at Kellogg and would be happy to answer any questions that military applicants have, or to connect you with someone else in our Vets' club. About me: ROTC in college; commissioned into National Guard as a signal officer and deployed to Iraq in '09. Married, with a 1-year old child.

Thanks, and best of luck to all applicants!
Intern
Intern
Schools: University of Connecticut - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 4

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2012, 07:23
I just wanted to take a moment out of my day and thank emont for posting about the HBS Prospective Students' Day. I attended this event yesterday and I must say that it was fantastic. I had a great time, met some friendly people and learned a bunch about the program. Everyone there was very helpful and I never once felt uncomfortable or out of place. My partner felt very much included as well.

If any of you are interested in applying to Harvard Business School, please reach out to this great group. They seem very willing to help.

Thanks again!

Mark
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2012, 13:08
Electrichazard wrote:
I just wanted to take a moment out of my day and thank emont for posting about the HBS Prospective Students' Day. I attended this event yesterday and I must say that it was fantastic. I had a great time, met some friendly people and learned a bunch about the program. Everyone there was very helpful and I never once felt uncomfortable or out of place. My partner felt very much included as well.

If any of you are interested in applying to Harvard Business School, please reach out to this great group. They seem very willing to help.

Thanks again!

Mark

I agree. I also attended and emont and the rest of the AFAA at HBS put on a great event. It was the most comprehensive school event I've experienced so far (military or otherwise). The warm welcome and honesty of the current students were extremely helpful.

Thanks guys!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2012, 21:09
Just a quick question for those of you already students and using the GI Bill. About how many months of benefits would pursuing an MBA use? I'm looking to do a dual-degree option and wanted to know if I have enough benefits to cover both programs. I'm guessing it's 4.5 months a semester, and it doesn't cover the summer, so about 18 months total. Can anyone chime in?
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.36

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2012, 03:18
lonesoui wrote:
Just a quick question for those of you already students and using the GI Bill. About how many months of benefits would pursuing an MBA use? I'm looking to do a dual-degree option and wanted to know if I have enough benefits to cover both programs. I'm guessing it's 4.5 months a semester, and it doesn't cover the summer, so about 18 months total. Can anyone chime in?

It's about 18 months for the programs (last week of august to third week of December). If you add in a dual degree program you probably need another 9 months because they generally add a year of schooling. So you should be good with 27 months of benefits.

That's how my benefits were calculated in my undergrad B-school but I went year around to graduate and only use a year of my benefits so I could have a full two years left.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: USMC
Schools: Darden '12
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 22

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 16:23
Gents,

2012 Darden Grad here. I used GMAT Club a ton during my work up to taking the GMAT, applying for schools, and following up a bit with other GMAT Club Mil folk.

Feel free to PM me with any questions you guys might have regarding application process, essays, and other general questions. My biggest advice is to reach out to the Veteran community at any school you want to apply to. More than likely, the vets at school will give you the real story, both ugly and pretty, and help you peek past the glossy advertisements the school gives you. In addition, the earlier you create a relationship with vets at school, the more likely they will be willing to endorse you to the application admin folks. I recommended 5 guys to Darden, and all 5 got in. Not that without my endorsement they wouldn't have gotten in, but I was able to provide them with insight as well as key individuals they should speak to to help them create a customized narrative that spoke to why they wanted to attend Darden and why they were a good fit for the institution.

In addition, last year I created a blog specifically for active duty military considering attending an MBA program. It was in partnership with Fidelis Education to see if they wanted to pursue a more active social media presence. It's basically a blog that asks current and alumni MBA students real, no shit, questions and get the straight scoop. http://www.militarymbavoices.com.

I've also attached a transcript that I came across from Stanford GSB regarding getting recommendations. Rule of thumb is Quality over Rank. Go to your superiors who really know who you are, the great, good, bad, and ugly characteristics. The attached transcript revolves around tips and a general talk about how to approach a potential recommender and advice to the person writing the recommendation. it's really great. I personally gave every one of my recommenders a copy of this transcript and the feedback that I've received from all of them has been very positive about its guidance.

Good luck Gents. Again, feel free to PM me with any questions you have. The Military MBA community is pretty small and we pretty much know someone in all the top schools. If I can't help you with a specific question for a specific school, I'm positive I can find someone who can. And again, make sure you use the Vet Clubs at the schools as a primary source for information and support. It's why they exist. So don't be shy. Reach out to them.
Attachments

Advice for Recommenders.pdf [105.32 KiB]
Downloaded 46 times

To download please login or register as a user

Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants!   [#permalink] 08 Oct 2012, 16:23